New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Default Re: A Murder in Hawksridge

Spoiler
    Show

Gonna try a Sense Motive check (or maybe it's Diplomacy?) to see if I can discern the group dynamic of the bandit posse and how loyal they may be. I'm figuring that they may have a pack mentality where if we can take down Brock, the others will either fall in line or scatter.

Sense Motive: (1d20+5)[14]

2. - Top - End - #272
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Naizan
    Naizan stands quietly near the fireplace, his hands clasped behind his back.

"We haven't much time to make a decision. Do you have any idea what the cause of Brock's enmity to you is? Is negotiation out of the question? It seems both combat and escape are unlikely."
    Last edited by Malefax; 2008-02-18 at 11:27 PM.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Talonus

"No idea. Our good friend Tor probably told him a few tall tales. Or he may be upset with all those highwaymen of his that we've been eliminating. I don't think we're going to escape this without some violence, we just want to make sure it's the good kind."

4. - Top - End - #274
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Talonus, you sense that there are two things driving these bandits to work together--fear and greed. They realize that they are more successful at enriching themselves when acting as a cohesive group and so maintain order out of greed. Of course, many of them covet the position of leadership, but they are held in check by fear of Brock and fear of reprisal by others among the group. You're not sure what would happen if Brock were to die suddenly because you're not sure which of these two motives is the greater influence.
    A Murder in Hawksridge > DM, Dain (Allied NPC)
    In the Eye of the Storm > Terwilligan "Rizzo" Smith

5. - Top - End - #275

RedWizardGuy

Naizan

Naizan shakes his head.

"They went to an enormous amount of trouble to track you down. It's not likely just out of revenge. Brigands are usually practical sorts. I would be surprised if they haven't been paid to seek you out. But that just makes things worse, because we don't know why."
    He pauses, his brow furrowed.
    I think you should talk to them, from just outside the doorway, preferably. One advantage we have is they don't know I'm here, and they probably don't know about Finnias either -- assuming he hasn't abandoned us to our fate. This will probably come down to violence, as you say, but the more we know the better. If it does come to fighting, our main hope is if we can scare off the rabble."
    Last edited by Malefax; 2008-02-21 at 03:47 PM.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Talonus

"You may be right. I know for certain we do not look wealthy enough to warrant this kind of attention. You three prepare some in case of an assault while I go out and see what these gentlemen are after."

Talonus steps out the doorway to Finnias' hut and looks over the assembled brigands. He adopts an aura of confidence even as he fights down the waves of fear that threaten to overwhelm him. Just another tough crowd, he thought to himself.

"What is this? I hardly expected to see so many people here so suddenly. Surely you cannot all be here to search for the Corlanian treasure?"

7. - Top - End - #277
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Is that meant as a joke to make them laugh or are you trying to deceive them? If the former, make a perform check, if the latter, make a bluff check. If this is just the beginning of a complicated diplomacy attempt, then make a Diplomacy check and tell me what you're trying to accomplish.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Spoiler
    Show

The goal is to dissipate some of the initial hostility and get an opportunity to use the Bard ability Fascinate on Brock. Then maybe craft a lie around a fabled treasure and get the bandits interested in pursuing that.

I'll just tell you the bonus, make a roll and you can pick the skill that applies

Diplomacy +13, Bluff +9, Perform +9

(1d20)[12]

9. - Top - End - #279

RedWizardGuy

Naizan

Naizan grins to himself at the elf's boldness. The man could spin the most outrageous lies into believability, simply through his charm and assured manner.

Hunkering down on the floor, Naizan tries to see if he can fit his shoulders up into the fireplace. He has a momentary vision of becoming trapped helplessly in its narrow confines, and then the bandits setting fire to the house. For a moment, he is almost alarmed enough to reconsider the plan, but then his discipline reasserts itself. 'Death will find me sooner or later', he thinks to himself 'but I don't think I'll be stuck in a chimney for the big event'.

Spoiler
    Show
    Escape Artist (1d20+2)[12] Hopefully Naizan's lack of armor will be an advantage...

10. - Top - End - #280
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Tor whispers something into Brock's ear. Brock laughs heartily. "Har! We're here for you of course, skinny man. Secret treasures don't interest us. There are bigger prizes at stake. Get the rest of your piglets out here. Come piglets! We won't hurt you." Some of his men chuckle. Tor displays a wickedly amused grin. He's tall, lanky and dark-haired with rough, weatherworn features. A loaded crossbow is cradled against his shoulder.

Naizan attempts to wriggle up the halfling's chimney. You manage to make it about 6 feet off the ground and can almost reach an arm to the opening above, but you can go no farther. The space is simply too narrow, you think...

Spoiler
    Show
    You can try Escape Artist again, as many times as you like, but a poor result will likely mean you become stuck and will need help from below to get out.

Dain finishes tightening straps on his armor and gets to his feet. He moves to stand behind Talonus, just inside the doorway. He glowers out at the assembled brigands, staring down any that dare to meet his steely gaze and hefting his axe repeatedly. Looks grim, he thinks, but quickly checks himself. Dorn wouldn't have worried about himself in a situation like this. These men are thieves, rapists and murderers. Trying to kill some of them isn't such a bad way to go out. Still, there's the boy to think about--quick glance at Dagon--and it would be unfair to force that Naizan fellow, who seems like a good man, to lay down his life as well. Perhaps he has other priorities. I wonder if he's stuck in there--quick glance at the chimney. Then audibly, "Naizan? You alright?"
    Last edited by Kinthas; 2008-02-29 at 01:10 AM.

11. - Top - End - #281

RedWizardGuy

[b] Naizan [b]

Uh-oh. 10 years ago I could have done this easily.

"Hold on a sec, Dorn"

Spoiler
    Show
    Escape artist [roll] 1d20+2 [/roll]

12. - Top - End - #282

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    That was wierd... does leaving a space screw it up? (1d20+2)[13]

13. - Top - End - #283

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Hopefully that 13 is enough to get me out, but it occurred to me it might not be, so here are more rolls.
    2nd attempt: (1d20+2)[6]
    (1d20+2)[22]
    [roll]1d20+2 [/roll]

14. - Top - End - #284
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Talonus

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the delayed response guys.

So they are being paid for this. Talonus found himself impressed with the reasoning skills of their diplomatic monk again. Talonus reassessed the situation. Brock can be deceived, Tor can be bullied. Tor controlling Brock though is a different situation. I'll have to see how strong that bond is.

"Tor, that really is you huh? I thought you'd be halfway to Beetlebrook by now. Blondie asked us to give you a message. I believe it was *going for a laugh, Talonus does his best Blondie impersonation* '#%$! I'll kill you Tor, you coward!' I guess he didn't appreciate you fleeing at the start of a fight like that... again."

"But Brock, you say there are bigger prizes? I cannot see how that may be the case. My friends and I are hardly wealthy, I am sure you and your band can find easier game. If you are not here to join us in our quest for the Corlanian treasure, then what could you want with us?"

Spoiler
    Show

Perform roll for impersonation (1d20+9)[21]
    Diplomacy roll (1d20+13)[29]

15. - Top - End - #285
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Brock laughs at your Blondie impersonation and elbows Tor sharply in the arm. Tor winces and his grin disappears, replaced by a scowl.

Some of the bandits look questioningly at their leader. Brock glowers at them, but Tor steps forward before Brock can open his mouth. He addresses Talonus directly, but speaks loudly, putting on a performance of his own. "Clever gambit, my friend. But one small treasure, if it even exists, is nothing compared to the wealth of a kingdom. You can promise us nothing we have not already been promised." He pauses to let this statement sink in--you get the impression that he is a skilled orator. "Personally, I'd like to see all your throats slit. But my lord Brock is a reasonable fellow and does not care to jeopardize the lives of his men needlessly." Brock looks decidedly unhappy to have been labeled a reasonable fellow. "Come out and surrender your weapons. You need not be harmed. Our benefactor merely wants to meet with you in a safe environment. Your companions will be held to ensure your good behaviour until our business is concluded."

Naizan struggles in the chimney. You attempt to get both arms over your head and use your formidable muscle control to inch your way higher. A moment of progress, followed by a hint of fear as you think you've wedged yourself in too tightly. A deep breath and some clever maneuvering frees you to continue the climb. A few more seconds and you are able to get your arms out of the opening above the roof of the cabin and raise your head for a quick look around just as Tor finishes his speech.

16. - Top - End - #286

RedWizardGuy

Naizan

"All's well", Naizan mutters down the chimney to reassure Dain.

Reassured that he has freedom in his grasp, Naizan pauses to listen to the discussion between Talonus and Tor.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Talonus

"Reasonable fellow? I've heard mighty, ferocious and cunning but never reasonable. I am surprised that a force of nature like Brock would let someone like you Tor speak for him, make implausible deals for him AND insult him in such a manner. Especially after we saw how well it worked out for Blondie. Tell me Brock, is Tor the one pulling the strings here? Or is it his southern friend?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Ormand was southern, right?

18. - Top - End - #288
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, Ormand seemed to be a southerner.

"No one pulls my strings, piglet," Brock growls angrily, taking a half-step forward. "But I'll pull your--"

Tor raises a hand in a plea for calm. Brock falls silent. "First you flatter, then you offend. My lord can see through these pathetic attempts to beguile him. Continue on this treacherous path, by all means, and let us see where it leads you. I have already offered you my lord's clemency. Should you refuse it, we will use force."

Brock scowls at you, but stays put, his fists clenching in quiet fury. Apparently whatever hold Tor has over him is still effective.
    Last edited by Kinthas; 2008-03-15 at 05:03 PM.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"Enough banter!" Brock snarls. "Afraid for your own skin, as always Tor. My men are not afraid of THESE LITTLE PIGGIES!" Brock's deep and powerful voice fills the twilit glade. A cheer rises from all sides, the brigands echoing their agreement. The dogs bark excitedly in response. "Let's use force, as you say. We don't need them all alive anyway."

Tor turns to his lord and addresses him quietly. Talonus' keen elven ears nonetheless pick his words out of the general noise. "Relax Brock. Ormand told us to take the elf alive and I, for one, do not want to disappoint him. If there is a fight, he may be killed. If that happens... well, don't make any plans for next week because you won't live to see it."

"Bah, at least I'll have some fun before I die. You'd rather live forever? The elf will probably survive anyway. The annoying ones never die as fast as I'd like."

20. - Top - End - #290
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Talonus

Looks like the crowd isn't enjoying the performance. Time to change scenes. Talonus quickly ducks back into the cabin and calls back out. "You're making a mistake Brock! Don't you see? Ormand doesn't have the ability to give you a hut, let alone a kingdom. He's getting away with the Corlanian treasure as we speak!"

Talonus turns back to his companions and gives Dain and Dagon a shrug. "Plan B I guess? Where's Naizan?"

21. - Top - End - #291

RedWizardGuy

Naizan

Naizan frowns to himself as the negotiations deteriorate rapidly. I was hoping I had put bloodshed behind me' , he thinks to himself. 'But wishful thinking is the the fool's counsellor.'

Hauling slightly, he pulls himself up until he can peer out the top of the chimney to observe the bandits' deployment.
    Last edited by Malefax; 2008-03-23 at 11:31 AM.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Dain, Dagon, and Details

Dain points towards the fireplace. "Naizan's gone up the chute. Might've gotten himself stuck, though I haven't heard him complaining yet." Dain turns back to the doorway, to make certain no unwanted guests arrive.

Meanwhile, Dagon takes Talonus by the arm. Softly, he asks, "Are you sure we need to go to Plan B already? I hate to say it, but this one looks grim, Tal. There's an awful lot of them out there. I don't think they bought the treasure hunting story, but maybe they'll deal if we can offer something else? It sounds like Tor wants to avoid a fight if he can manage it."

Naizan can see around three sides of the cabin from his position, though he can't see anything that's very close to the cabin's walls. It appears that, in addition to Tor and Brock, there are two dog-handlers with two dogs apiece on leashes in the back and about eight other men in roughly linear formation arrayed just behind their fearless leader (one or two may be women, its hard to say). You can see a couple of bandits standing in the trees to the near side of the cabin, and a knot of about eight more hanging out towards the back in hopes of preventing any sort of escape in that direction. No one has yet noticed your head protruding from the chimney. A few dogs wander about, sniffing at bushes and occasionally disappearing from sight behind the edges of the cabin's sloped roof. There's a metal rain shield fastened over the top of the chimney which you'll have to remove if you want to climb out, but for now it's giving you pretty good cover.
    Last edited by Kinthas; 2008-03-24 at 04:38 AM.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Talonus

"Okay, maybe we'll give plan C a try then..."

Talonus calls back out into the wild.

"How about this for a deal then Brock? My two companions and I will accompany you to your meeting spot with Ormand but we will remain armed and hidden amongst your men. If Ormand doesn't appear, then you will know that the silver-tongued southerner has played Tor for the fool he is. If he does show, then you can have him show you some evidence he is capable of delivering what he promises before turning us over. If everything is to your satisfaction, you will have us surrounded in your camp and easily able to fulfill your bargain with the man. If things are as I suspect though and Ormand reveals himself to be a fraud, then we can work together to make him pay without having tried to kill each other first. How does that sound?"

24. - Top - End - #294
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Once again, Tor answers you. "Don't be a fool. We have no reason to distrust our friend. And if we were to employ this ruse, he would almost certainly be unhappy with me. And that, my friend, is a very unhealthy position to be in. Luckily, I have a better idea. You and your companions will come with us and may remain armed if you so wish, but one of you will remain here, unarmed and under guard to ensure the good behaviour of the others. We will return to this spot, together, within three days. If not, well you're a smart fellow. I don't need to spell it out for you."

Brock looks unhappy, but says nothing. The other men look confused. A moment ago they were roused and ready for battle. Now they stand and fidget with their weapons, nervously wondering whether they are about to face death. Even the dogs have gone quiet, resting on their haunches, waiting for orders.
    Last edited by Kinthas; 2008-04-02 at 04:26 PM.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Talonus

"You speak as if Ormand is the most ferocious man in these lands. Tell me Tor, is Ormand truly so mighty that we must all fear his displeasure?"

26. - Top - End - #296
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"You are the one who is obsessed with Ormand. I've said nothing about him," Tor responds. You get the feeling there is something he finds amusing about this. "Will you or will you not accept my terms?"

27. - Top - End - #297
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Talonus

"And what is to keep your men from dispatching our defenseless companion while we are gone? It seems like you offer a very poor deal."

Spoiler
    Show

Talonus will continue negotiating and try to get a decent deal. He doesn't mind going with Brock and Tor but wants some freedom so he can have some time to work his social skill on Brock and his men and reduce Tor's influence. He doesn't want to be pushed around conversationally by Tor as that would be counter to the respect he will be trying to build with Brock's men later on. He doesn't mind splitting the party as long as Dagon is the one left behind and not Dain since Dagon is more likely able to catch up and find them again should he be able to get free. He will definately try not to give away Naizan's position or existence but throughout the conversation, Talonus will try to drop subtle hints that should the party be split Naizan should stay behind and help Dagon subdue his guards before the two of them follow.

Also any further information he can glean from the negotiations would be good.

28. - Top - End - #298

RedWizardGuy

Naizan
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wierd, I thought I made a post several days ago, but i don't see it here. And it hasn't been sending me updates when people post. boo.

Naizan remains hidden in the chimney.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm pretty sure I also posted last week and its not here. I remember writing a response to Krezzlar's latest. Hopefully just temporary problems?

Talonus and Tor negotiate for a few minutes. Having agreed, in principle, to leaving a hostage behind as surety, the details of the arrangement are resolved quickly. Tor is not particular about who the hostage is, as long as it's not Talonus. It becomes readily apparent that he knows about Naizan's presence in the party though no one notices him watching from the chimney. Oddly or otherwise, no mention is made of Finnias (unless you want to). You manage to extend the time of the hostage's guaranteed safety to a full week, instead of just three days. When you point out that you have only Tor's promise that the hostage will be unharmed, Tor responds that they are endangering themselves as well by letting you remain armed and unbound. "A promise for a promise," he says. "You promise not to kill me in my sleep and I promise your friend will survive the week. I think that is more than fair." You learn that Tor intends to take you north and that the journey should be possible within a day. He will not reveal why you are wanted or who is expecting you. Brock becomes disinterested once it is apparent that there is to be no conflict and he goes off to round up his men and explain the situation to them.

If there are no objections, Dagon is disarmed and placed under guard in the cabin. Four of Brock's men stay with him, along with a pair of dogs. The rest of you (Naizan included) gather outside where you are eyed suspiciously by Brock and his band of brigands. Nonetheless, peace is maintained while a camp is set up in the clearing. It is now quite dark and Tor has suggested that they not set out until morning. You have ample opportunity to speak with Tor, Brock (though Brock scowls if you come anywhere near him), or any of the other men.

As evening winds down, you overhear a fireside discussion amongst some of the men about a pair of travelers--a young man and a girl--that they were supposed to find, but had somehow missed. There is some speculation on whether they will be found by 'Thurum and his lot' on the road to Belgard.
    Last edited by Kinthas; 2008-04-15 at 03:35 PM.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Talonus won't budge on the point that Dagon be allowed his arms and armor, especially if it is evident that they intend that Naizan accompany the group. Talonus will point out that a coward who abandons his friends at the first sign of trouble is not someone who's promise is worth much. It's not like Talonus, Naizan or Dain can slit Tor's throat while he sleeps with 15 other brigands around nor is Dagon much of a threat 4 to 1 even if he has his scimitar and armor. It's just to make the men think twice if they are considering betrayal.

"I will require a moment to confer with my friends to make sure the terms are acceptable to them." Talonus will withdraw to speak to the others. They'll talk near the chimney so that Naizan can hear. "Well, I don't know. It appears that they insist you come as well Naizan, not sure how they know about you. A day's journey is not much time but perhaps we can use that time to gain the confidence of the men and undercut Tor's influence. At least, we should be able to find out what is happening here. I can work on the men, perhaps you can find a way to gain Brock's trust?"