Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: A Murder in Hawksridge

Fight in the Forest, Round 2

Spoiler
    Show
    Welcome back, Dagon! I've recreated Dain on the myth-weavers site. His new location is http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=30668. Nice strength check, btw. Feel free to describe the results of your own rolls, when it seems appropriate.

Bits of wood and leaf are sent flying as Talonus hacks heroically into the branches entwining Dagon. With a grunt and much tearing of fabric and foliage, Dagon emerges from the tangle a free man. He and Talonus head for a calmer spot.

Spoiler
    Show
    A summoned eagle charges the halfling and attacks with its talons. Attack (1d20+5)[18], damage (1d4)[1].

A large eagle has appeared at the edge of the magically animated area. It immediately streaks towards the halfling's hiding place, screeching aggressively. Within seconds the eagle has crossed the clearing and raked the halfling with its talons, scratching at his face. "Screech!" it says knowingly.
    Last edited by Kinthas; 2007-11-06 at 05:50 PM.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Dain

Shield held high, Dain runs into the clearing as fast as his short legs can carry him. He makes it only a few feet before stumbling to a halt as blades of grass as hard and sharp as steel stab mercilessly through the soles of his boots and taller weeds pierce his calves between slim gaps in his armor. He shouts in pain and surprise. Wincing with each step, he cautiously retreats back into the entangling trees to escape the deadly grass. "We cannot cross that ground!" he calls to Naizan, who can tell with a quick toe test that he is similarly surrounded by dangerously rigid grass.

Spoiler
    Show
    Naizan still has a full action to take this round. Grass lies in all directions. He can retreat into the area of entanglement by crossing a few feet of sharp grass. It's not clear how far he would need to move in other directions to reach relative safety, as grass covers the clearing except for a space directly in front of the cabin, which is about 60 feet away and to your right. Anyone with spellcraft can attempt to discern the nature of the effect, DC 17.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Kinthas; 2007-11-06 at 04:06 AM.
    A Murder in Hawksridge > DM, Dain (Allied NPC)
    In the Eye of the Storm > Terwilligan "Rizzo" Smith

3. - Top - End - #213
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Talonus

Spoiler
    Show

Reflex save (1d20+6)[8]

Talonus hands Dagon's scimitar back to him as he ducks and weaves his way out of the living forest area. Once he thinks he's clear, he looks back to the area where Finnias is battling the magical eagle. He raises an eyebrow at Dagon.

"One of yours?" he asks. He measures the distance from himself to their pint sized assailant, trying to decide a course of action.

Just when he thought he was clear, a vine darts out and grabs him around the waist and pulling him back into the dangerous area. "Don't worry about me! Stop Finnias!"

Spoiler
    Show

Heh, I accidentally posted this response in another thread and successfully rolled my REF save there. Transfer the post over here and of course I fail it now. Oh well.

Spellcraft (guessing) (1d20+6)[21]
    Last edited by Krezzlar; 2007-11-06 at 12:11 PM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

Dagon

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry guys. I haven't had a chance to remake Dagon. I'm on call tonight too, so it probably won't be tonight either. I'll try to muddle my way through, though I guess we're still waiting on Naizan.

The following post then is only a "conclusion" to the current round (i.e. the one where Dagon gets free and, apparently, Talonus gets stuck).

"Like hell!" Dagon scoffs at Talonus' remarks. "Besides which how do we know this is Finnias? It could be the leprachaun tooth fairy for all we know, come to collect from the time you stole Laura-Lee's teeth from her pillow."

Between the attempts at levity, Dagon hacks away at some of the vegetation. As he does so, he ponders its nature. This can't be natural, he thinks.

Duh... his thoughts continue. I could have told you that...

Spellcraft: (1d20+5)[14]
    (Roll is a guess)

5. - Top - End - #215

RedWizardGuy

Naizan
    Naizan stumbles to a halt at the edge of the razor sharp grass, momentarily stymied. He glances around quickly, trying to make sense of the surrounding confusion.

Coming to a decision, he backs up to the edge of the entangling zone and attempts to skirt along its edge, between the grass nd the trees, circling around the clearing attempting to close in on the spellcasting halfling and his avian tormentor.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm a bit unclear on the geometry here -- is the halfling in the clearing, or not? Is he 120' away, or 60' away, and can I spot him now that he's being attacked by an eagle?

6. - Top - End - #216
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Encounter Map: End of Round 2

Spoiler
    Show

As Naizan has aptly pointed out, the geometry has become a little confusing. So I've taken the rather laborious step of drawing up a little schematic. I got the idea from some of the other campaigns I've browsed. In any case, using this aid we can play according to proper D&D movement rules and it should make explanation of events MUCH simpler (though no less time consuming, haha).

NB:
    • Each square is 5' x 5'.
    • Large trees are represented by those green circles of roughly 10' diameter. You may move into and through any corner of a tree space freely. No limbs grow within reach of the forest floor. If you are standing in a tree square and there is at least one sqaure of tree between you and an opponent (not counting the one you are in), you have cover because of the massive trunk (+4 AC).
    • The entangle effect is represented by the large green disc, and the spiky grass by yellow squares. Only those squares you know about are highlighted, as it is virtually impossible to tell regular grass apart from razor sharp grass until you step on it.
    • The cabin is represented by the 15' x 25' block towards the top of the map (which is East, not North, in this case). There are some drying racks arrayed in front of it, which count as obstacles (double movement required to move through these sqaures unless make successful tumble check DC 15).
    • Bushes are designated by dark green fuzzy areas. Bushes provide concealment (20% miss chance and permit hide attempts), but count as difficult terrain (double movement cost, block charge attempts unless have woodland stride ability (ahem, Dagon)).
    • The characters are represented by capital letters with colors matched to your speech text: H for Halfling, E for Dagon's summoned eagle, N for Naizan, T for Talonus, G for Dagon, and A for Dain.

Dagon, you are aware that the entangle effect is simply Entangle. In fact it is a spell you know and cast yourself two days ago. You do not know what the sharp grass effect is, your spellcraft knowledge is insufficient. (Though Talonus knows and may choose to enlighten you all. Some of the mechanical info is described below with the assumption that Talonus will eventually say something.)

Naizan, you can definitely identify the halfling's location because the eagle is making it impossible for him to hide. On your turn, you move 5' through the dangerous grass and take (1d4)[3] damage. You must also make a DC 15 reflex save (1d20+5)[23] to avoid having your movement speed reduced by half (until healed). You figure out you are able to skirt the edge of the spikey grass while staying away from the entangling plants if you move east (towards the cabin), but not west. Moving while probing the grass for dangerous blades reduces your movement by half regardless of the result of your reflex save. Check the map for your new location.
    Last edited by Kinthas; 2007-11-13 at 06:37 AM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Fight in the Forest: Round 3 Begins

Though the bushes make it hard to see exactly what's happening, you catch a glint of steel as the halfling hacks at the eagle as it dives for another attack. Feathers fly, the eagle cries out again and crash lands behind the halfling.

Spoiler
    Show
    You may begin... first to post will be the first to act, though you can of course ready an action or delay your action until someone else has acted.
    Last edited by Kinthas; 2007-11-13 at 06:34 AM.

8. - Top - End - #218

RedWizardGuy

Naizan bends over double, the better both to conceal himself and to detect potential spiky grass. He moves as swiftly as he dares along the edge of the danger zone, hoping to be able to turn the corner at some point and take cover behind the cabin. Blood trickles down his ankles, leaving small spots on the grass.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Talonus

Spoiler
    Show

Escape Artist check (1d20+3)[11]

"The grass has been enchanted! It will cut at your feet and slow your movements. Mystic healing will lift the damage to your feet."

Talonus struggles vainly against the grasping vines. He hands his bow and quiver to Dagon.

"Take this to Dain and get out of here Dagon. Help Dain and Naizan, they're in more danger than I am. The trees are annoying but not deadly UNLESS the halfling subdues us all. Go give him a taste of his own medicine in the group of trees over there and flush him out into the open. And cure Dain quickly or he'll be hobbling too much to be of use."
    Last edited by Krezzlar; 2007-11-13 at 12:39 PM.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Naizan finds that he can make his way north almost immediately. The enchanted grass appears to be following a more or less straight line in this direction as well. The cabin is close.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Finish Round 3

Spoiler
    Show
    Filling in for Dagon

Dagon hurries over to Dain with Talonus' bow and quiver in hand. "Follow Naizan's lead," Dain orders gruffly while accepting the offered weapon. "Looks like he's found a safe path forward." Seeing Dagon hesitate, eyeing the blood seeping into the dirt around his feet, Dain hastily adds "Save your healing, kid. Someone may need it later."

Dagon nods and runs eastward, attempting to keep to the path Naizan walked just moments ago. Meanwhile, Dain turns to take aim at the halfling, taking up a stable firing position and letting the slim quiver lean against his stout leg. He draws the string easily, holds his breath for a moment, then releases both. An arrow flies towards the halfling...

Spoiler
    Show
    Dain's ranged attack: (1d20+3)[15]
    Arrow damage (if hit): (1d8)[8]
    Concealment (20%): (1d100)[29]

.. and glances harmlessly off his thick leather armor.

Begin Round 4

Encounter map
    Spoiler
    Show

The halfling draws his own bow, takes a bead on Naizan and fires once. The shot is good, but Naizan's reflexes are better. With one fluid sweep he swats the offending projectile aside using the blade-edge of his hand. It spirals harmlessly into the forest.
    Last edited by Kinthas; 2007-11-19 at 05:07 PM.

12. - Top - End - #222

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    A question -- did the shooting take into account the deflect arrows? If not, use this roll. (1d20+5)[20]

Having apparently rounded the corner of the spiky grass, Naizan hurls himself into a sprint. He will attempt to reach one of the trees on the far side of the clearing and take cover behind it.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't have access to anyone's character sheet anymore, so I don't know what feats you have (or any other stats, for that matter, I've been guessing for some stuff.) If you've recreated the character online, can you post a link? If not, it would be great if you could sign up for myth-weavers.com and make one. Shouldn't take long since you can probably remember most of the important stuff. Attributes were 30-point buy, HP max for first 2 levels. Should be level 2 right now, but everyone will make level 3 shortly so you can just start from there if you want. Starting gold for equipment is 900gp, no more than half on any one item.

To answer the actual question you posed, no, I did not take Deflect Arrows into account. I forgot that you had the feat, sorry. I will edit the original post to reflect your super deflecty abilities. I don't think you need to make a contested roll, incidentally. The text in the PH seems to indicate that it just automatically works for one missile per round if you have a free hand.

Also, feel free to specify which square you want to end up in. There's a letter/number coordinate system. I'm assuming you want F7 or F8 because you'll need to run to make it and you can only run in a straight line.

And lastly, you don't need to tell me what you're "attempting" to do, just describe it as if it happened successfully, as long as you think it's reasonable that it should work out the way you intend. I'm offering a fair amount of latitude to you guys to control elements of the situation that aren't critical to the story, so I don't mind if you need to make up a few details. I'll let you know if something happens to foil your plans and you need to edit the post, but that will probably be uncommon. I think it will save time and it also allows you guys to get into the descriptive part of the storytelling a little more. (And of course, build in any skill checks, etc, that are necessary to make your actions happen unless you aren't sure what the difficulty should be.)
    Last edited by Kinthas; 2007-11-16 at 08:03 PM.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Talonus

Spoiler
    Show

Escape Artist (1d20)[1]+3 = 4

Talonus struggles vainly against the vines. He tries to use his dagger to cut grasping vegetation but more vines appeared faster than he can clear them.

(In Elven) "Bring the forest to life Dagon! Flush him out of those trees."

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming Dagon speaks Elven. I don't remember the languages
    Last edited by Krezzlar; 2007-11-18 at 02:17 AM.

15. - Top - End - #225

RedWizardGuy

Naizan

Before this journey, it had been many years since anyone had swung a weapon at Naizan in anger, and more since his devotional training had been called upon to protect his life. Once, he had stood for hours, day after day, amid the branches of a willow tree, learning to feel from the trickle of breeze along his skin the wind-tossed motion of the branches. Any arrow or bolt betrayed itself helplessly to Naizan's imperturbable focus -- to his mind, they screamed aloud, warning him away.

Moments after the halfling loosed his shaft, Naizan reached the shelter of one of the tall, thick-trunked forest giants that encircled the small clearing, perhaps 25 feet due north of the halfling's location. Naizan paused briefly, the tips of his fingers resting lightly against the smooth bark of the tree, steeling himself for what could be a deadly face-to-face confrontation against a magic-wielding foe of unkown potency. It was a strange circumstance that had brought him to this pass.

Spoiler
    Show
    I will wait for the next round to be announced before I write next round's stuff, but basically Naizan will probably charge the halfling.
    Last edited by Malefax; 2007-11-18 at 02:59 AM.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Talonus, you can cast spells while entangled, if you like, instead of making escape attempts. The plants are not preventing you from waving your hands about. (the entangle effect isn't particularly clear on this, I'm just ruling that it's possible)

Naizan, you won't be able to charge because the bushes count as difficult terrain. They also take double movement to pass through:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinthas View Post
    NB:
    • Each square is 5' x 5'.
    • Large trees are represented by those green circles of roughly 10' diameter. You may move into and through any corner of a tree space freely. No limbs grow within reach of the forest floor. If you are standing in a tree square and there is at least one sqaure of tree between you and an opponent (not counting the one you are in), you have cover because of the massive trunk (+4 AC).
    • The entangle effect is represented by the large green disc, and the spiky grass by yellow squares. Only those squares you know about are highlighted, as it is virtually impossible to tell regular grass apart from razor sharp grass until you step on it.
    • The cabin is represented by the 15' x 25' block towards the top of the map (which is East, not North, in this case). There are some drying racks arrayed in front of it, which count as obstacles (double movement required to move through these sqaures unless make successful tumble check DC 15).
    • Bushes are designated by dark green fuzzy areas. Bushes provide concealment (20% miss chance and permit hide attempts), but count as difficult terrain (double movement cost, block charge attempts unless have woodland stride ability (ahem, Dagon)).
    • The characters are represented by capital letters with colors matched to your speech text: H for Halfling, E for Dagon's summoned eagle, N for Naizan, T for Talonus, G for Dagon, and A for Dain.

17. - Top - End - #227

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Makes sense. From what I gather though, I can move to the clear square north-east of the halfling with my 30' move, even with the movement penalty from the bushes, am I correct? (I was previously confused about which direction north was).

18. - Top - End - #228
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Naizan: yes, you can make it there (square J6, right?)

19. - Top - End - #229
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Actually, Talonus qualifies as entangled and would thus require a DC 15 Concentration check to cast a spell. I hadn't actually put any points into concentration, I was waiting for the level up to do so. So the odds of him succeeding that roll are slim (although still better than his odds of succeeding the escape roll). I don't mind being helpless a bit more, Dain, Dagon and Naizan are the real fighters in the party anyway

We're still in round 3, right? I think Talonus has made his check for this round already.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Talonus: We're in Round 4, but you have already made your check for this round. I was just mentioning spell casting in case you thought it wasn't an option. I didn't know about the DC 15 rule (but it seems reasonable). Where did you find that?

Otherwise we're just waiting on Dagon... I'll fill in for him again if he hasn't said anything by tomorrow.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, been busy with Thanksgiving here. Post will go up *tomorrow*. =)

22. - Top - End - #232
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Finish Round 4

Dagon moves forward, taking up a position near one of the drying racks which offers limited protection from the halfling's arrows. He pauses there to make a brief incantation. Seemingly to his own surprise, a bright flame rises in the palm of his right hand and remains there, consuming some invisible source. Meanwhile, Dain shifts a few feet to the side and fires another arrow, missing by a wide margin. He mutters unhappily to himself something about not being worthy of his parentage.

Spoiler
    Show
    Filling in for Dagon again. He moves 30' and casts Produce Flame. He has cover from the halfling due to the thick furs draped over the rack in front of him.
    Dain's ranged attack: (1d20+2)[10]
    Arrow damage (if hit): (1d8)[7]
    Concealment (20%): (1d100)[47]

Begin Round 5

Encounter map
    Spoiler
    Show

"Come closer if you dare, human. You'll pay for every step," the halfling threatens. He fires three arrows in rapid succession at Naizan, who is taking what cover he can behind the trunk of a massive fir. Two of the arrows strike the tree, while the third is deflected into the dirt by a prescient swipe of Naizan's forearm. Seeing his attacks thwarted again, the halfling backs up a few paces to put a little extra distance between himself and Naizan. "Go tell your master my soul is price enough. He'll not have my life as well!"
    Last edited by Kinthas; 2007-11-24 at 05:00 PM.

23. - Top - End - #233

RedWizardGuy

Naizan

Although it has been many years since Naizan has had legitimate cause to fear for his life, his training stills his heartbeat and calms him as effectively on the battlefield as it does during his daily meditations. He frowns as the halfling yells at him defiantly, reacting smoothly when another arrow warns him of its assault, his mind elsewhere.

He moves forward in a short burst, closing the distance toward the halfling but staying in cover. He hefts his javelin threateningly, but holds back from loosing it yet. Long experience has taught him to search for a peaceful solution, and the halfling's words give him some hope that even in this unlikely situation, negotiation may bear fruit.

"You are mistaken, halfling. We are not here to slay you, and the master I serve has no interest in souls. If you continue to attack us like some rabid dog, I will put you down. Cease your pointless assault. There is no need for fighting."

Spoiler
    Show

Naizan will move west and slightly south to square I8. He will then do that holding action thing where it gets triggered if someone does something specific. He will throw his javelin at the halfling if the halfling shoots his bow at anybody.
    Diplomacy check (1d20+9)[25]
    Javelin throw (1d20+3)[22]
    Damage (if hits) (1d6+3)[9]

24. - Top - End - #234
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Talonus

Spoiler
    Show

Escape Artist (1d20+3)[19]

Talonus mutters to himself as he tries to escape the angry vegetation. "Ok... left arm out... left leg out... duck that vine... cut that one... and DAMNATION! When will these blasted weeds give it a rest?"

As he struggled though, he noticed Naizan taking the forward position and parlaying with the halfling. A man with many talents he thought to himself. I'm glad he's on our side.
    Last edited by Krezzlar; 2007-11-26 at 01:04 PM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Momentary Ceasefire

The halfling takes a few quick steps to his left to put another of the massive trunks between himself and his opponent. Noting Naizan's readied posture, he keeps his bow levelled and an arrow drawn to his cheek. Dain and Dagon are similarly poised to strike, Dain with bow and Dagon with fire. The tension is palpable. All eyes are on the two characters at the north end of the clearing. Dain barely dares to breathe, straining to hear each word of the conversation. Talonus continues to struggle vainly, the accompanying rustling noises just loud enough to obfuscate some of the words.

"Why have you come if not for my life? If you seek to bind me to your service, know that I would rather die. Not that you could catch me. I have dwelt within these woods for many years--they are my only home--and they will never betray me to the likes of you."

26. - Top - End - #236

RedWizardGuy

Naizan

Naizan remains almost motionless, his javelin readied to throw. He lacks Talonus' easy charm, but his measured tones and educated rhetoric give his words a certain dignity and gravitas. He addresses the halfling so calmly one would never suspect from his speech that moments before the man had been trying to kill him.

"We have not come to bind you, and we have not come to slay you. We are here to speak to the halfling Finnias. That dwarf" Naizan gestures in Dain's direction with his free hand "is Dain, son of Dorn. His father has been foully murdered. You are Finnias, are you not? Put aside your bow, and come speak with the son of Dorn."
    Last edited by Malefax; 2007-11-29 at 11:49 PM.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Talonus

Spoiler
    Show

Escape Artist check (1d20+3)[4]

After his near escape, Talonus finds himself even more entangled than ever. He tries to speak on his group's behalf but leaves fill his mouth and all he can manage to muster is a half intelligible "Pleh".

Hearing Naizan's calm and steady response though, Talonus figures he couldn't improve on the dialogue anyway. Ah, no wonder he is a king's ambassador he thought to himself.
    Last edited by Krezzlar; 2007-12-03 at 04:26 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I spoke with Dagon yesterday. He's decided that he is not going to continue posting in this forum because he doesn't enjoy the play-by-post format. The question then is: would you guys like to (a) continue with one less player; or (b) find a replacement? A replacement could either come from amongst our usual group of players (I was thinking I'd ask amongst them first) or it could come from an open call on the forum (I was planning to do this if there were no takers from amongst our usual friends). Any suggestions/preferences?

29. - Top - End - #239
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Finnias

The halfling appears stunned. His head turns slowly to regard Dain. He lowers his bow, tension draining from his body. His legs give out and he sits abruptly on the grass, his diminutive form disappearing from sight behind clumps of thick bushes. "A fate worse than death!" he wails. "Have I become so blind? To greet friends as enemies, to welcome peace with anger? It seems the gods have planned cruel punishment for my crimes!"

The halfling's head reappears above the foliage. He addresses Naizan. "Forgive me, good sir, I have acted very poorly. As you have guessed, I am called by the name Finnias." He attempts to effect some sort of bow, but accomplishes instead a brief disappearing act. "Please, my home is yours. Come inside and we will talk. There is much that needs to be said." He walks slowly towards Naizan, his arm outstretched in a greeting of friendship.
    Last edited by Kinthas; 2007-12-04 at 10:53 PM.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Hello? *looks around for signs of intelligent life (cue tricorder sound effect)* Is anyone there?