New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dreamscarred Press Presents: Akashic Mysteries, Thread 2

I'm back(ish)! Back in the states anyways. A feat allowing Gurus to treat additional weapons as philosophy weapons will be in the compiled Supplemental release. It's called Martial Union, requires you to have Weapon Focus in the weapon you want to focus your Philosophy through, and adds 1/2 the Essence invested in your Gentle Touch as an untyped bonus to your to-hit with Philosophy weapons.

Looks like we missed including the range for the ray option of Luminosity; it should be 60 feet. I'll see that that gets addressed when we run the compilation updates.
    Last edited by Ssalarn; 2015-04-26 at 08:14 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Welcome back(ish)! Glad to have you back(ish).

Sounds like a pretty good feat. I probably wouldn't build a Guru without it, considering how much I like smacking dudes around.
    Last edited by Kaidinah; 2015-04-26 at 05:40 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

WHEEE EMPTY PYRAMID HYPE

Okay! So. Main thing I'd like to bring up is the slightly odd way Font of Vitality functions, in that it only ends when the DISCIPLE goes above half HP. Which results in the slightly bizarre situation where a Pharaoh has it within his interests to repeatedly stab himself so he can keep healing the party.
    Incredible avatar made by Ceika.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

That feat makes my Guru sense tingle, looking at about a +4 untyped attack bonus for people who are serious about that kind of thing. I like it, though, helps compensate for mid-BAB and the ability to get different weapons in the Philosophies is a great thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

I like it as well, though requiring weapon focus is a bit annoying. I don't think the feat is so overpowering that it needs a weak pre-req.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    I like it as well, though requiring weapon focus is a bit annoying. I don't think the feat is so overpowering that it needs a weak pre-req.
    If it didn't require weapon focus, it would be an auto-pick for all Gurus who wanted to do any combat, period, starting from level 3. I'm not a fan of it, but I can see where it's coming from.

Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

7. - Top - End - #37
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PsyBomb View Post
    If it didn't require weapon focus, it would be an auto-pick for all Gurus who wanted to do any combat, period, starting from level 3. I'm not a fan of it, but I can see where it's coming from.
    Are we certain that's not a problem with Guru and not the feat concept?

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    I'm pretty certain of it. The feat is worth the +1 on any Philosophy weapon from level 3 on, and and ends with +3 (or 4 if you, like many combat-oriented Gurus should, take Expanded Capacity on your Gentle Touch). This beats a flat +1 by a mile and a half, before counting the ability to tack exotic weapons onto your main fighting style. Put it this way, I voluntarily give up 4 AC on blitz builds for a +2 (Reckless Assault). It would be a lot like if Weapon Group Adaptation also gave you a +1/5 IL to attack with discipline weapons, people would take it regardless of if they needed to actually adapt a weapon group.

The feat tax isn't ideal, but something to that effect is needed on this feat concept.

EDIT: The flip side of this is that it turns true Exotic additions into a 3-feat sink (Proficiency, Focus, then Adaptation) to add. Tough position.
    Last edited by PsyBomb; 2015-04-26 at 09:10 PM.

My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

It's not a "have to have to function" thing, it's a "so good you'd always take it at that price" thing. The Weapon Focus tax at least has some benefit, and gates the ability to the appropriate access point. It's also at that right cost where it's worth getting if you want to go combat brute, but not so good that every single build is going to take it.

10. - Top - End - #40

If there were a melee combat focused Guru archetype later on, I could see that feat being part of it, but I don't feel that it should have been a core Guru class feature.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

I would say that it sounds comparable to Grasp of Darkness for Harbingers or Elements as One for a mixed element Mystic. Namely, you CAN work without this, but why would you, when having it is so much better?

Or, for another comparison, Natural Spell for 3.5 druids. The most obvious example of "Are you good without this? Yes. Are you nigh infinitely better with this? Obviously."
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I would say that it sounds comparable to Grasp of Darkness for Harbingers or Elements as One for a mixed element Mystic. Namely, you CAN work without this, but why would you, when having it is so much better?

Or, for another comparison, Natural Spell for 3.5 druids. The most obvious example of "Are you good without this? Yes. Are you nigh infinitely better with this? Obviously."
    Not QUITE at "class feature that replaces a feat" level, but a natural choice. It'll be high-priority for people wanting to use racial proficiencies (an Elf Vayist, for example) and for anyone aiming for heavy me lee regardless.

My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

13. - Top - End - #43
    Firbolg in the Playground

Figured I'd post this here, solely in my capacity as a playtester and not as a member of Dreamscarred Press, as an idea:

What about a feat (or veil) that lets mind-affecting veils hit creatures normally immune to mind-affecting? Such creatures retain a bonus vs. the effects (investing essence reduces this bonus?) and mindless creatures remain immune.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

14. - Top - End - #44

Figured I'd post this here, solely in my capacity as a playtester and not as a member of Dreamscarred Press, as an idea:

What about a feat (or veil) that lets mind-affecting veils hit creatures normally immune to mind-affecting? Such creatures retain a bonus vs. the effects (investing essence reduces this bonus?) and mindless creatures remain immune.
    There is a certain joy experienced when you cause fear in the undead. I think it could make a cool veil. The chakra bind could allow you to affect mindless creatures too, after a certain level of investment.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Somewhat OT, but it's only been up here, Ssalarn, when we gonna see Psitech / Shadewalker playtests? I have plans that involve playtesting and putting my players through hell.
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ilorin Lorati View Post
    Somewhat OT, but it's only been up here, Ssalarn, when we gonna see Psitech / Shadewalker playtests? I have plans that involve playtesting and putting my players through hell.
    I could have Shadewalker up this week if Andreas gives me the green light. I need about a dedicated week where I'm not working on anything other than Psitech to get it ready though; so that could be a little longer.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

Since we are talking about a possible feat for the guru I will re-post to see if there is any opinion on it....

So would it be terribly broken on unbalanced for there to be a feat or something that allowed a veil-weaving class such as the Guru or Daevic to have a 1/day or so use of the Vizier's Veil-shifting?

My main worry is a class such as the Daevic,which gets so few veils per day while having to shape specific ones as well, could really benefit from such a feat if they were thrown into a situation in which they were not fully prepared for.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadkitten View Post
    Since we are talking about a possible feat for the guru I will re-post to see if there is any opinion on it....

So would it be terribly broken on unbalanced for there to be a feat or something that allowed a veil-weaving class such as the Guru or Daevic to have a 1/day or so use of the Vizier's Veil-shifting?

My main worry is a class such as the Daevic,which gets so few veils per day while having to shape specific ones as well, could really benefit from such a feat if they were thrown into a situation in which they were not fully prepared for.
    I've been looking into it. My biggest concern is that even once a day, that can make a huge impact in combat, so I've been doing some scenario testing and seeing what the best way to maybe do something like that would be. I don't want it to be so prereq intensive that no one takes it, but I also don't want it being on the "every veilweaver who's not a Vizier will always take this" list.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

I have a couple questions about the Crusader's Shield veil. First though, I do love the veil and the options it enables, but it doesn't say what happens when the shield breaks from damage, and if you use it in a space too small for it. So, my questions are;

1. If the shield is destroyed, does the extra damage from that attack go anywhere? (shield has 20 hp, gets hit for 40, does the extra 20 damage hit the user?)
    2. If the shield is blocking off a passage, but is destroyed by a burst effect, does the attack proceed past the user or is it halted by the shield? What about a spread effect?
    3. If using the shield in a area too small for it (5' high and wide passageway, and you use the basic version which covers a 10' square), does it just fill the area as much as it can, or does it need to be created in a area large enough for it?
    4. If there are two veilweavers using the shield, what happens if the shields intersect? (such as two veilweavers side by side and placing it at a 45 degree angle to their sides, making it cross in a x in front and between them)
    Last edited by soulsabre345; 2015-04-28 at 08:09 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ssalarn View Post
    I've been looking into it. My biggest concern is that even once a day, that can make a huge impact in combat, so I've been doing some scenario testing and seeing what the best way to maybe do something like that would be. I don't want it to be so prereq intensive that no one takes it, but I also don't want it being on the "every veilweaver who's not a Vizier will always take this" list.
    Mayhaps have the feat take like 1-10 minutes to reshape a veil?
    Kinda like the Binder feat from tome of magic.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd love to see that effect on a Veil or Feat. There are a few of them that could really use the help, notably all the Pattern and Fear-Based ones (opens up a ton of BFC options for everyone, especially Swarm Master Dreads).

I was thinking exactly the same thing. If it took a minute of concentration, it would be unusable in combat but enough to be able to shift a needed resource otherwise.

My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

I could see that working. Make it more of an out of combat thing, but still useful if you, say, shape Circlet of Brass for what you think is an adventure into the icy peaks but turns out to be a delve into the heart of an active volcano full of salamanders and their red dragon overlord.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

I could see that working. Make it more of an out of combat thing, but still useful if you, say, shape Circlet of Brass for what you think is an adventure into the icy peaks but turns out to be a delve into the heart of an active volcano full of salamanders and their red dragon overlord.
    another option would be that if you were fine with it possibly being able to be used in combat, that using the feat would do some constitution damage or something similar.

kinda like trying to reshape a veil that way damages your life energy or something like that.
    you could maybe do some unhealable essence burn too.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

From the Cincture of the Dragon:

Chakra Bind (Belt): [D16] Binding this potent defensive veil to your Belt chakra causes the scales to grow in size and whirl around you, intercepting even some magical attacks. As a standard action you can activate a stunning barrier ACG effect as an at-will spell-like ability. This effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to your primary veilweaving modifier plus the number of points of essence invested in this ability.
    Was this maybe supposed to be the greater version of this spell?
    I was wondering because the belt bind does not come online until 13th level.

Here are the two spells for quick reference just cause I feel like it.

Stunning Barrier
    Source Advanced Class Guide pg. 194 (Amazon)
    School abjuration; Level arcanist 1, cleric/oracle 1, inquisitor 1, paladin 1, sorcerer/wizard 1, warpriest 1
    Casting
    Casting Time 1 standard action
    Components V, S
    Effect
    Range personal
    Target you
    Duration 1 round/level or until discharged
    Saving Throw none and Will negates (see text); Spell Resistance no and yes (see text)
    Description
    You are closely surrounded by a barely visible magical field. The field provides a +1 deflection bonus to AC and a +1 resistance bonus on saves. Any creature that strikes you with a melee attack is stunned for 1 round (Will negates). Once the field has stunned an opponent, the spell is discharged.
    Stunning Barrier, Greater
    Source Advanced Class Guide pg. 195 (Amazon)
    School abjuration; Level arcanist 3, cleric/oracle 3, inquisitor 3, paladin 3, sorcerer/wizard 3, warpriest 3
    Casting
    Casting Time 1 standard action
    Components V, S
    Effect
    Range personal
    Target you
    Duration 1 round/level or until discharged
    Saving Throw none and Will negates (see text); Spell Resistance no and yes (see text)
    Description
    This spell functions as stunning barrier, except as noted above, and it provides a +2 bonus to AC and on saving throws. It is not discharged until it has stunned a number of creatures equal to your caster level.
    Honestly, no matter what you do the duration is going to be less than the original spells.
    Getting the 1st level version of Stunning barrier at 13th level seems kinda weak considering you have to spend a standard action to maybe negate a single attack. You could make it a swift action and it would be tolerable and probably balanced since it keeps you from shifting essence that turn.

Or if you meant it to be the 3rd level version that would be neat as well, but it should stay a standard for obvious reasons.

25. - Top - End - #55

PirateGuy

Yeah. This is way closer to what happened to my Vizier in last week's game than I'm comfortable with. I had Circlet of Brass shaped. We were chasing BBEG through his lair but had to cross the pit of lava. And I was all out of veil shifting.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyone else looking at Pathfinder Unchained and looking at applications among these classes? Wrath (Justice) gets a big boost from Stamina system if it's allowed, rerolling bad dice on Vital Strike can be clutch.

My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PsyBomb View Post
    Anyone else looking at Pathfinder Unchained and looking at applications among these classes? Wrath (Justice) gets a big boost from Stamina system if it's allowed, rerolling bad dice on Vital Strike can be clutch.
    Whoo, yeah, that could be a big freaking deal.

I'm trying to figure out how some of the new skill mastery stuff fits in.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Skill mastery, nothing really jumped out at me. Even with the bonuses the Veils give, you still have to unlock it in the first place and the effects aren't really game-breaking.

My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

29. - Top - End - #59
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sorry for asking for the clarification here - but are creatures granted through Veils valid targets for Share Veil?
    Also, is it intended that you can set up a chain of undead commanded with Dark Lord's Ring of Essence Binding with the Plague Zombie or Cairn Wight?
    Incredible avatar made by Ceika.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Taveena View Post
    Sorry for asking for the clarification here - but are creatures granted through Veils valid targets for Share Veil?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Taveena View Post
    Also, is it intended that you can set up a chain of undead commanded with Dark Lord's Ring of Essence Binding with the Plague Zombie or Cairn Wight?
    No. There will be an update to the core doc reflecting a change that was actually announced some time ago but for some reason got lost in layout:
    Wights created by the veil cannot create spawn. Also of note, you wouldn't have any control over plague zombies created by the disease.