New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dreamscarred Press Presents: Akashic Mysteries, Thread 2

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    Though I do wonder, when you say sigils are you referring to the Mystic's Glyphs, Runes, and Sigils?
    Ummm, no. I may be changing the name..... I kind of overlooked the Mystic already using that verbage.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ssalarn View Post
    Ummm, no. I may be changing the name..... I kind of overlooked the Mystic already using that verbage.
    It's disappointing glyphs are used by mystic, there is no doubt that glyphs tie into the egyptian feel rather well.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

It's disappointing glyphs are used by mystic, there is no doubt that glyphs tie into the egyptian feel rather well.
    We might just call them "heiroglyphs". Sure the word "glyph" is still there, but....

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to suggest a bit of a compromise with half-elf and half-orc, since many people won't be aware of the ruling. Just lift them from one of the parent races and call it a day on one or two, just to ensure that people who want to play them but don't know the ruling get it

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

It doesn't use it in the current incarnation (which is getting a lot of positive reviews). Glyph is the only word taken, so sigil is free for you to use.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

6. - Top - End - #156
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PsyBomb View Post
    I'm going to suggest a bit of a compromise with half-elf and half-orc, since many people won't be aware of the ruling. Just lift them from one of the parent races and call it a day on one or two, just to ensure that people who want to play them but don't know the ruling get it
    At that point, a sidebar informing people of the FAQ ruling would take less page space.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaidinah View Post
    At that point, a sidebar informing people of the FAQ ruling would take less page space.
    This is a good point, one which I gladly concede

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

Of course, then you run into the problem of Sigil being a fairly common fantasy term and my inner Guild Wars nerd will be disappointed if it doesn't resemble those :P

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll riot if the Lady of Pain doesn't maze at least one person in your Book if Sigil shows up.
    Last edited by Ilorin Lorati; 2015-05-11 at 09:21 PM.
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Email will have to wait until tomorrow, need sleep. Can't find the one I sent before?

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Email will have to wait until tomorrow, need sleep. Can't find the one I sent before?
    I'll see if I can dig it up. I think it's lost amongst all your unsolicited submissions ;P

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    Of course, then you run into the problem of Sigil being a fairly common fantasy term and my inner Guild Wars nerd will be disappointed if it doesn't resemble those :P
    I'm becoming increasingly attached to "heiroglyphs".

12. - Top - End - #162

I like heiroglyphs. Though didin't the Mystic ditch sigils?

13. - Top - End - #163
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaidinah View Post
    I like heiroglyphs. Though didin't the Mystic ditch sigils?
    Yup. Glyphs only now.

14. - Top - End - #164

Just a thought: Could you not use the Glyph terminology, and then use an ability formatting similar to Mystic Glyphs (ie invest an essence to activate it, Glyph has 4 tiers of abilities that unlock as you level)... just with your own set of glyphs.

Then you have a super easy archetype tie in between Pharoah and Mystic, where they can pick up the others' glyph set. So you could have an elementalist support style pharoah, or an egyptian themed whatever your pharoah glyphs are going to do Mystic.

I make this suggestion partly because I think it is cool, partly because you are working in DSP so something like this is actually potentially feasible, and partly just because I don't like the idea of having abilities called "Heiroglyphs".
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

15. - Top - End - #165
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Just a thought: Could you not use the Glyph terminology
    Lots of stuff has similar names
    See Traits.

Also there is no reason to have the overlap when they probably function differently
    And if they do function the same and have the overlap between each other why have the two distinct classes?
    Really it should be two distinct sets of abilities even if they have smiler names who cares they belong to different classes that are designed to do different things with different tools.

16. - Top - End - #166

Quote Originally Posted by Rasma View Post
    Lots of stuff has similar names
    See Traits.

Also there is no reason to have the overlap when they probably function differently
    And if they do function the same and have the overlap between each other why have the two distinct classes?
    Really it should be two distinct sets of abilities even if they have smiler names who cares they belong to different classes that are designed to do different things with different tools.
    If the abilities have the same name, people are going to expect at least some degree of overlap. That's the reason why Ssalarn is looking for a different ability name in the first place, because he understands that and wants to avoid confusion. My counterpoint though is instead of coming up with a new more awkward or less fitting name, or inviting that confusion, embrace it and give more support to a new subsystem that's already in the process of development rather than making something totally different wholecloth.

I'm not saying they have to be identical, or even serve the same role. In fact I expect the Pharaoh's glyphs to be more self-centered, and likely more offensively oriented; while the Mystic's are more support oriented, being used to provide offensive/defensive/utility buffs to the party. The Mystic powers their glyphs with animus, whereas I expect the Pharaoh's glyphs will be empowered by investing essence. We're still talking about very different abilities... but by simply adopting the same general formatting and progression, you can unify the concept in the fluff and minds of the players, and open up cool new crossover potential via archetypes. I personally think it is worth at least considering.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think that the Mystic's glyph system is a little bit too, uh... tied in with the class to really be adapted for the Pharaoh, to be totally honest. The old glyph system, sure, but the new streamlined one? Unlikely.
    Incredible avatar made by Ceika.

18. - Top - End - #168

Quote Originally Posted by Taveena View Post
    I think that the Mystic's glyph system is a little bit too, uh... tied in with the class to really be adapted for the Pharaoh, to be totally honest. The old glyph system, sure, but the new streamlined one? Unlikely.
    The streamlined glyph system is basically "Spend a resource as a move action to apply a glyph to an X allies within Y range. Affected allies gain effect A. At later levels gain effects B, C, and D, which stack with themselves".

The only thing about the core mechanic that is really Mystic Specific is that it costs animus to activate. If you instead made a Pharaoh's glyph requires investing 1 point of essence per effect granted, you have abilities that are thematically and mechanically similar. They are identifiable as the same thing, but used in a different way.

I could give clearer examples with a better idea of what glyphs(or sigils or heiroglyphs or whatever they end up being) are intended to accomplish for the class. But given what we know I don't think it would be a hard conversion, especially when so much is up in the air for a redesign at the moment anyway.

19. - Top - End - #169

WhiteWizardGirl

As Glyphs are a Form of Language.

How about Rune? or something along those lines. It's the same thing; just a different mythology.

I can also think of other such works I haven't seen used yet like:
    Hoodoo, thaumaturgy, Black art, Horoscopy, Presage

I piticularly like Presage.
    Spoiler
    Show
    presage
    [n. pres-ij; v. pres-ij, pri-seyj]
    Spell Syllables
    Synonyms Examples Word Origin
    noun
    a presentiment or foreboding.
    something that portends or foreshadows a future event; an omen, prognostic, or warning indication.
    prophetic significance; augury.
    foresight; prescience.
    Archaic. a forecast or prediction.
    verb (used with object), presaged, presaging.
    to have a presentiment of.
    to portend, foreshow, or foreshadow:
    The incidents may presage war.
    to forecast; predict.
    verb (used without object), presaged, presaging.
    to make a prediction.
    Archaic. to have a presentiment.
    Last edited by DrunkenMists; 2015-05-13 at 05:51 AM.

20. - Top - End - #170

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenMists View Post
    As Glyphs are a Form of Language.

How about Rune? or something along those lines. It's the same thing; just a different mythology.
    It's for an egyptian themed book though.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

21. - Top - End - #171

WhiteWizardGirl

It's for an egyptian themed book though.
    Heka is a Egyptian god of magic.
    Talismans saw alot of use in egyptian magics too.

Anyways; I was just tossing out ideas incase something might stick as being a worthy name.

Hmm. The Class Your looking for a Name for their system is Pharaoh right?

They were seen as gods themselves; Divinity might be a option
    Ritual was a pretty common sort of magic too; though it suggests something slower than I imagine the pharaoh class works with.
    Implements. the Act of using a tool as a medium to the magic. (Egypt was known for that awesome wavy dagger used in ritual magics if I remember, tools were also a large part of mummification)

Hmm. That's All I can think off.

Instead (and this change will affect other pieces of the Pharaoh, like his Bond), the Pharaoh is going to gain the ability to spontaneously create essence forged weapons out of akasha, and will be able to switch the type of weapon he's currently created any time he activates an akashic maneuver.
    Hmm. Talisman or Implement work well with the concept. More 'real or Tangible' sort of use of the Akashic type of magic.
    Last edited by DrunkenMists; 2015-05-13 at 07:28 AM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Mystic's glyphs were originally named Runes then changed to Glyphs with sub categories of runes and sigils. To just glyphs now
    For Cao Cao, For Wei!

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Off topic a little bit here, but they finally let me see the completed Daevic iconic art, and I'm incredibly pleased with how it turned out. The fact that they've let me see it also means that the Daevic is going to be ready for release any day now!

We're getting really close to the finish line on this one, so once the Supplemental is finished, two things will be happening:

First, I'll be wrapping the Pharaoh. AGrinningCat is going to be my right-hand person for getting the Pharaoh completed and wrapped, and we should be able to get you something quality that's consistent with all of the updates and advancements that have been happening over on the Path of War side of things.

Second, there will be a couple month intermission while I step away from veils and essence and take care of the Dreamscarred Press Psitech release. Psionic mechs, psicrystals that serve as batteries and brains for Bao-Dur style omni-tools, psionic tech items along the lines of what you see in the Technology Guide, rules for converting PP to battery juice, and more.

After that.... Well, the performance of Akashic Mysteries will determine what's going on with me and DSP from that point forward. We could be looking at an AM:E with the Tatvayist, Vedist, and even more materials, or we could be running DSP's take on Shadow Magic. It's just going to kind of depend on sales, where my creativity is steering me, and what other things are happening in the world of Pathfinder at that point.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

I love the akashic stuff, incarnum was my thing back in the day but I am super stoked for psi tech stuff.
    For Cao Cao, For Wei!

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Question: Will buying the book make us more like to get AM:E or Shadow Magic next? Because I want my Shadow Magic.
    JK, I'm already subbed to akashic
    Is Pharaoh going to go public for playtesting?

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

26. - Top - End - #176

Sounds like a plan! I look forward to seeing where this road takes you, and to buying future stuff with your name on it. Hopefully that Daevic iconic will show up on facebook soon.
    Last edited by Kaidinah; 2015-05-13 at 03:11 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Question: Will buying the book make us more like to get AM:E or Shadow Magic next? Because I want my Shadow Magic.
    JK, I'm already subbed to akashic
    Is Pharaoh going to go public for playtesting?
    Shadow Magic is actually just waiting a bit because the Pathfinder market has kind of seen a glut of Shadow Magic type things lately from various publishers. Ascension Games' "Path of Shadows" just got an amazing review from Endzeitgeist, so we're going to kind of hang back on that plan for a bit so we're not flooding a really narrow market and ultimately hurting our own sales. I suspect we're about 6 months out from rolling out the full shadow magic playtest no matter how things go with AM. Speaking of... definitely buy the book when it's available!!! I need to be selling things so I can afford to keep doing this, and not making sales really doesn't help anything ;P

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

As you seem to have missed my white text, I already subbed to Akashic. That does mean I get the release when it comes out, right?

Also, curses. I was so ready to start posting hype gifs. But I don't have enough to last 6 months.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    As you seem to have missed my white text, I already subbed to Akashic. That does mean I get the release when it comes out, right?

Also, curses. I was so ready to start posting hype gifs. But I don't have enough to last 6 months.
    Subscription gets you the 4 .pdfs (Vizier, Guru, Daevic, Supplemental) and the compiled release, also in .pdf format. When we do the print run, I believe it should be just like Path of War, where subscribers get the print version at a reduced price, but still have to purchase it separately.

Also, yes, Pharaoh will be re-released for playtesting in his new iteration before we slap a seal of approval on him and send him off for layout.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Hm...I am actually quite tempted to get a hard copy. Need to wait to confirm my financial situation though.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro