New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Dreamscarred Press Presents: Akashic Mysteries, Thread 2

Quote Originally Posted by Ssalarn View Post
    First, I'll be wrapping the Pharaoh. AGrinningCat is going to be my right-hand person for getting the Pharaoh completed and wrapped, and we should be able to get you something quality that's consistent with all of the updates and advancements that have been happening over on the Path of War side of things.
    Wrapped.

Second, there will be a couple month intermission while I step away from veils and essence and take care of the Dreamscarred Press Psitech release. Psionic mechs, psicrystals that serve as batteries and brains for Bao-Dur style omni-tools, psionic tech items along the lines of what you see in the Technology Guide, rules for converting PP to battery juice, and more.
    Can't wait. Based on the first line, I assume the concept of akashic cybernetics was dropped?
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

Is there a list of akashic magic items somewhere, or will those not be happening and/or not be available for playtest?
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    Is there a list of akashic magic items somewhere, or will those not be happening and/or not be available for playtest?
    I believe the are to be in the pending supplemental release.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

We've seen about 3-4 of them in the threads, but they haven't been consolidated into a document yet. Can't wait for it, some of those items are going to have serious effect on Akashic builds (in some cases, especially the ones just dipping in)

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

They will be available for playtest shortly.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

Coward's Boots and Tauric Brace both say that they increase your "base speed". Does this increase only apply to base land speed, or does it apply to other base speeds such as a racial fly speed?
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Show
    Show

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Coward's Boots and Tauric Brace both say that they increase your "base speed". Does this increase only apply to base land speed, or does it apply to other base speeds such as a racial fly speed?
    Been looking this one up. From what I can gather, it applies to your Land speed unless you don't have one (bit of a gray area if you don't, or if land speed is obviously a secondary mode of transportation, such as an Octopus). Other movement modes only increase if they key off of your land speed.

stack, mind shooting me the update to the Swarm Lord? I have a Dread guide up and want to make sure I have the latest on it.

Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PsyBomb View Post
    Been looking this one up. From what I can gather, it applies to your Land speed unless you don't have one (bit of a gray area if you don't, or if land speed is obviously a secondary mode of transportation, such as an Octopus). Other movement modes only increase if they key off of your land speed.

stack, mind shooting me the update to the Swarm Lord? I have a Dread guide up and want to make sure I have the latest on it.
    I can, but I can't garuntee that the final version will be identical. I really should go through it again carefully, but work has been far too much to leave time for that.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

This will be your base land speed, except in instances where the base movement mode assumed for the game varies, such as in Cerulean Seas where base speed refers to swim speed.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

What are everyone's thoughts on including the Black Templar PrC from Lords of the Night in the Supplemental release? Would you appreciate having access to it without needing a whole supplement on playing vampires (or maybe a look at what kind of materials are in LotN if you're on the fence about picking it up), or would it feel "recycled", and you'd prefer only original material?

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't know anything about the class beyond what it says in your post, but if it uses Akasha it would probably fit better in Akashic Mysteries than in Lords of the Night. If it doesn't use Akasha it should probably be in LotN.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Show
    Show

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know anything about the class beyond what it says in your post, but if it uses Akasha it would probably fit better in Akashic Mysteries than in Lords of the Night. If it doesn't use Akasha it should probably be in LotN.
    The Black Templar is kind of the akashic answer to the Necrocarnate from Magic of Incarnum. Of course, the fact that they can drain essence from living creatures and a general evil theme is all the two really have in common. Black Templar is a 5 level PrC that gives you a touch attack that can drain essence from foes, and turn foes slain by it into undead under the Templar's control.

I asked Andreas and the other DSP team members the same question, and it looks like we'll be using it in Akashic Mysteries, with a sidebar noting that it originally appeared in Lords of the Night, hopefully creating a bridge between the two products for people who maybe only have exposure to one or the other. I'm adding it to the compiled supplemental now, which I'll be adding to the OP before day's end, regardless of whether or not it's finished. You guys deserve access to the toys, and I can continue to work and paste new materials in without withholding goodies.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm adding it to the compiled supplemental now, which I'll be adding to the OP before day's end, regardless of whether or not it's finished. You guys deserve access to the toys, and I can continue to work and paste new materials in without withholding goodies.
    OH MY GOD THANK YOU!!! In the campaign I'm in, my Daevic just hit level 8 and my party hasn't been able to spend their weath for the past 3 levels. This comes at a perfect time for me. We apparently have a mont h of downtime in between sessions for our characters in a huge metropolis as well so I will definitely get to try this stuff out!!!

IM SO EXCITED, THAT I JUST CAN'T HIDE IT!!
    Last edited by Deadkitten; 2015-05-26 at 04:11 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

What are everyone's thoughts on including the Black Templar PrC from Lords of the Night in the Supplemental release? Would you appreciate having access to it without needing a whole supplement on playing vampires (or maybe a look at what kind of materials are in LotN if you're on the fence about picking it up), or would it feel "recycled", and you'd prefer only original material?
    Hey now. LotN isn't JUST a supplement for Vampires! There are significant portions of it that are completely unrelated to vampires! Like half the archetypes! A good chunk of feats.

The Alertness system can also be used for, like, cults and stuff.

15. - Top - End - #195

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    Hey now. LotN isn't JUST a supplement for Vampires! There are significant portions of it that are completely unrelated to vampires! Like half the archetypes! A good chunk of feats.

The Alertness system can also be used for, like, cults and stuff.
    Well then they should have put that material in a non-vampire book.

I have no interest in ever so much as looking at LotN. The source material is simply nothing that interests me even a little bit, and I don't want to have to slog through all of that to get to the few things that may be of use to me. I am glad that we will be seeing the akashic prestige class show up in the actual akashic book (though it seems a little weird to me that the LotN Akashic Material is going to be published before the first Akashic book is officially finished, making it so the primary source on the resource system is reprinting material using that system from other books... I mean what? It's like if Heroes of Horror had a random prestige class in it using Incarnum despite coming out long before MoI).
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Um, didn't that happen with Bloodforge? Some of the races from that getting Racial FCB, which ended up being super broken because the way the Passion bind works changed?
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

17. - Top - End - #197

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Well then they should have put that material in a non-vampire book.

I have no interest in ever so much as looking at LotN. The source material is simply nothing that interests me even a little bit, and I don't want to have to slog through all of that to get to the few things that may be of use to me. I am glad that we will be seeing the akashic prestige class show up in the actual akashic book (though it seems a little weird to me that the LotN Akashic Material is going to be published before the first Akashic book is officially finished, making it so the primary source on the resource system is reprinting material using that system from other books... I mean what? It's like if Heroes of Horror had a random prestige class in it using Incarnum despite coming out long before MoI).
    Welcome to the world of third party publishing, I'm afraid. There's enough Akasha out for Templar to make sense.

Also you wound me, my friend. You wound me deep in my soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

18. - Top - End - #198

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Welcome to the world of third party publishing, I'm afraid. There's enough Akasha out for Templar to make sense.
    Yeah not saying people won't be able to use it, just that it's a really weird place it got to.

Also you wound me, my friend. You wound me deep in my soul.
    Because of the not liking Vampires thing? Sorry, but not sorry. :p
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

19. - Top - End - #199
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd love to have Black Templar thrown into Akashic Mysteries. It really is a nice prestige class. I think that it would round out the Akashic Mysteries book nicely. Without it, its very hard to make a necromancer in AM. You get 1 veil that really works with undead. This prestige class would allow anyone to expand on their necromancer without having to buy 2 books.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaidinah View Post
    I'd love to have Black Templar thrown into Akashic Mysteries. It really is a nice prestige class. I think that it would round out the Akashic Mysteries book nicely. Without it, its very hard to make a necromancer in AM. You get 1 veil that really works with undead. This prestige class would allow anyone to expand on their necromancer without having to buy 2 books.
    I've added the Black Templar to the Supplemental release :)

I'll be adding the Supplemental to the OP shortly.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

I've added the Black Templar to the Supplemental release :)

I'll be adding the Supplemental to the OP shortly.
    *desire to know more intensifies*

My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

22. - Top - End - #202

*desire to know more intensifies*
    ^ This ^
    Whitetext
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

23. - Top - End - #203
    Barbarian in the Playground

I am so excited for the supplemental release. It feels like its the last big thing needed to help Akashic Mysteries pop. Can't have a subsystem without magic item support. Can't have this fun flavorful stuff without race support.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

I look forward to reading the class. I have to admit that I didn't follow the LotN playtest much. PoW, Akashic mysteries, and airships all took precedence, plus learning spheres of power.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, supplemental is up. Haven't done a thorough read yet, but so far...

Missing Frostbite Halo and Spear of the Loyal Paladin from the Veils list.

The weapon enchantments are underwhelming. On-crit effects tend to be wasted, unless they are spectacular. Repeating you base damage die or burning one Essence doesn't cut it.

Still need to do a detailed read to check for editing. Also, why are some of the veils highlighted in the list?

My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Maybe I'm just dumb, but where are the rules about the HP/hardness of a veil? I'm specifically asking about Crusader's Shield, because damage can be dealt directly to the veil and I'm not sure how much damage the veil can take or what happens if it's destroyed.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    Maybe I'm just dumb, but where are the rules about the HP/hardness of a veil? I'm specifically asking about Crusader's Shield, because damage can be dealt directly to the veil and I'm not sure how much damage the veil can take or what happens if it's destroyed.
    Veils are mostly physical constructs of akasha, and as such can be targeted by effects like a Sunder attack; a Veil that takes more than twice the Veilweaver’s level in damage in a single attack is
    suppressed and does not function for 1d4 rounds. Veils have a Hardness score equal to the Veilweaver’s level and gain a bonus to saves vs. targeted effects equal to the amount of Essence currently invested.
    Second paragraph under 'Akasha and Magic'.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Well that would explain why when I control+F'd Hit Points nothing turned up.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, supplemental is up. Haven't done a thorough read yet, but so far...

Missing Frostbite Halo and Spear of the Loyal Paladin from the Veils list.
    Still need to do a detailed read to check for editing. Also, why are some of the veils highlighted in the list?
    I'm still working the veil list, but I promised it would go up, so it's up. I'm hoping to have all the new veils, not just Halo and Spear, added by end of day today.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah, it's in a weird spot. I did the same thing before manually looking for it.

Supplemental release
    Wondrous items:
    Igniting and Reverberating are priced too expensively for my tastes. Considering both require critical hits to function, I don't believe they're worth the cost of +2.

Consider the Wounding property. It's a +1 stacking bleed damage at +2 price range. The effect is all but guaranteed (Against targets that can bleed) assuming you hit. Comparatively to Reverberating, which not only calls for a Critical Hit, but a Fort save as well (Which is most monster's strong stat), I don't believe the power level is in the same boat.

Igniting is the same idea -- Most crit-fish builds are looking at x2 damage or 1d10 bonus out of a +2 weapon (any of the elemental Burst qualities). At the same price, you're also getting a 1d6 Elemental damage as well, even if you don't crit.

The essence burn is nice for 'Akasha hunters', but it either needs to be more reliable(Not crit), or be cheaper to be competitive with other +2 weapon qualities.
    Last edited by AGrinningCat; 2015-05-27 at 11:03 AM.