New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 49 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Dragon Ball in the Playground [Discussion & Interest checking]

So, in the same vein as earlier Bleach in the Playground and Naruto in the Playground games, I thought it'd be fun to start a new "What if?" roleplaying universe based on Akira Toriyama's work.

Specifically, the idea would be to start from the past, around the time when Namek was undergoing its great disaster - Years 261 to 431 according to DB calendar; In real life terms, comparable from 1500s to 1700s. The game would start around the time when the first Namekians descent to Earth and we'd then follow how many familiar gadgets from the series (like the titular balls) get created etc.. I, myself, was thinking of playing Earth's old Kami, to be replaced or killed by whoever wants to play a Namekian (etc.)

To wit, the game being set in the past would mean a number of things:

• Majority of canon characters have not been born, and they're not intended to be major players in the game.
    • Frieza has not been born yet, the empire of Frost Demons does not yet rule the galaxy, and planet Vegeta (still known as Plant) still exists. Planet Plant is inhabited by Tuffles.
    • Saiyans exists, but they are non-spacefaring alien hilllbillies living on some unknown planet.
    • Earth's technology level is pre-industrial, with some exceptions.
    • Capsule Corporation and the Briefs family obviously don't exist, but if someone wants to play their spiritual (or actual!) ancestors, that's fine by me.
    • King Yenma exists as does King Kai, and the afterlife is intended to be the same as in canon.
    • Fortuneteller Baba exists.
    • Mr. Popo may or may not exist.
    • If someone wants to play the mentioned four characters (Yenma, Baba, Kai or Popo), that's okay by me.
    • Majin Buu exists, but is asleep and unknown to everyone.
    • Dabura exists, but is off being evil elsewhere.
    • Namekians exists, but are going through an extinction event. The equivalents Guru, Piccolo and Kami are supposed to be original player characters.
    • Budokai Tenkaichi (The Martial Arts World Tournament) does not exist. Maybe we can get it started in-game.

So on and so forth.

True to the source material's style, there'd be all sorts of wacky things. Like dinosaurs. And shapeshifters. And talking animals. Players would be allowed to play as any of the colourful beings from Toriyama's 'verse. Yes, including the aliens, as long as you can come up a reason for them to be on Earth. Including the Saiyans. Even including the Frost Demons, AKA Frieza's race. Just don't make your character super-overpowering to start with. We're supposed to start on Earth and not get it destroyed in the first fight.

Similar to source material, the idea would be also to make timeskips after some agreed-upon points, maybe even a few centuries after we've detailed the origin of Dragon Balls. With some luck, and if player interest remains, we'll eventually make it to "modern day" and can introduce (terrestrial) androids, flying cars and the like. Of course, if someone wants to, those can be introduced earlier via time travel.

Preliminary rules, stolen copied over from other Anime-inspired RPs:

Spoiler: THE RULES
    Show
    Firstly, no godmodding (or godmoding). A far better explanation of godmodding than I can give is here.
    Second, please remember that we plan to have a far more directed plot than Nexus. Please run any major spanners in the works past guys on this thread first.
    Third, don't ruin anyone else's fun. I can't stress this enough.
    Fourth, have fun!

New and Improved (but loose) Rules v.1.1!
    These "rules" are more loose guidelines that serve another FFRPG very well so I adopted them into this one, because they work.

1. Consider asking to join in fights before jumping in.
      Please respect that all plots might not be open. Alternatively, if you yourself want to keep a fight cordoned off from other participants, say so in the OOC, at the beginning of your post, or both.
    2. TALK major fights over with your opponent!
      This is to keep arguments about who's the better fighter, who should win, blablablablabla, out of the OOC. Of course, talk these things over in PM, or some kind of IM service. While arguments might break out over said PM/IM... It keeps it out of the OOC. Which is what we're trying to do here. On that note...
    3. Don't argue in the OOC!
      They make the atmosphere oppressive, they make things less fun, and generally unpleasant and maybe even make the arguments larger than they need be. So, if you have a problem with someone, try to talk it out in PM or IM before using the OOC.

The current IC thread is here. Make an introductory post telling where your characters are and what they're doing, and we'll continue from there.

Past IC threads:

Once upon a time on Earth

To avoid confusion, you can use location tags to indicate shifts in time and place. Like this:

[Earth; East City; Noon]

<Stuff happening.>

[Outer space]

<More stuff happening.>

This way, we can keep track where everyone is, since it's not economical to make a new thread for every little place.

---

Character Roster:

Yama no Rojin, Earth's current God
    Ieez, a Frost Demon Exile, Artic's brother
    Artic, a Frost Demon Exile, Ieez's brother
    Android 23, a hapless time traveller
    Callin Flowers, a Tuffle inventor [KIA]
    Pekoe, a shapeshifting trickster
    The Young Thunder Sage, an evil, evil man [KIA?]
    Iris, a former slave
    Chassis, wandering Majin
    Shanakan, Challenge-seeking martial artist
    Oxyribo, bio-android from the future
    Lord Achill Satan, OUR HERO!
    Android 22, ANOTHER hapless time traveller
    Aspa, grumpy Saiyajin
    Majin Pokasuu, lost acrobat
    Lord Lagerin of House Sarkandis [KIA]
    Starlight Shimmer, a special agent from Equestria
    Kai of the Sun, beleagured celestial bureaucrat
    ???, tag-along

Roster key:

[KIA] : Killed-in-action. This character has bit the dust, kicked the bucket, thrown in the towel, went to a better place, rests in pieces, yadda yadda. Their place is now in our fond memories and flashbacks.
    [MIA] : Missing-in-action. A player vanished and left their character off-screen, but the character was too important to be retconned out. Referring to these characters (and wondering where they are) is allowed, but their fate is left undisclosed unless their player returns.
    [NPC] : Non-player character. A character who can be controlled by anyone in need.
    [WIP] : Work-in-progress. A character is incomplete and not ready to be played yet.
    (Currently played by X) : informs if a character is being played by someone else than who made their registry post.
    Crossed-over: This character has been retconned out. They are considered never to have existed in the story. Don't refer to them.

---

Empty character template:

<Your character's name here>
    Spoiler
    Show

Height: Centimeters and/or feet and inches.
    Weight: Kilograms and/or pounds.
    Species: What kind of creature your character is?
    Station: Your character's current lot in life.

Description:
    Spoiler
    Show
    What does your character look, feel, smell and sound like?

Personality:
    Spoiler
    Show
    How does your character think? What drives him and what kind of a fellow is he?

History:
    Spoiler
    Show
    What has happened to your character before the game and made them who they are?

Story So Far:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can summarize and update here what has happened to your character during the game.

Abilities:
    Spoiler
    Show

What is your character good or bad at? What special things can he do or knows?

These could include anything from martial arts to ki blasts to magic and shapeshifting abilities.

Other information:
    Spoiler
    Show

Anything you can't fit to the brackets above, such as equipment or property your character owns.
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2015-08-24 at 05:27 AM.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Dragon Ball in the Playground [Discussion & Interest checking]

Could I play a reverse Frieza?

That is, a member of his Species that, not belonging to his mutant lineage, is born weak and has to transform to get stronger?

Assuming that he starts with just his pathetic by alien standards base form and develops stronger forms later?

If the answer is yes, I'll have a justification for him being on earth once I get home(school day-several hours with no internet access) but right now I'm thinking some kind of exile laying low on a backwater planet noone cares about.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, that's acceptable.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

When is this happening?

5. - Top - End - #5

What I'm thinking is even if the Frost Demon(though I personally prefer Arcosian) Empire done'st control most of the universe, it's stil an epire on the interstellar stage.

Going by some comments from Frieza Clansmen NPCs in Dragonball Xenoverse, while their empire is/was a force for bad, not all members of the species are bad.

I'm thinking that a small group of people thought that what the still small Empire was doing was wrong, tried to over throw the imerial family, and failed horribly. They were executed, and their families were exiled from the empire's territory.

Enter Ieez (pronounced EE-ez, corruption of Ice). The son of one of the revolutionaries, he was sent out of the empire with nothing but a simple, bare bones one person spacecraft(like the sayain pods, but more cramped and somewhat primitive becuase centuries before series) and enough supplies to a trade planet in neutral territory.

Visions of vengeance burn in Ieez's imagination, and he dreams of one day growing strong enough to return to the empire and fulfil the plans of his father and his father's compatriots. But, he's week-just a grunt soldier, if that, power wise.

Eventually he found his way to a primitive, backwater planet far away from any claimed territory. Maybe he can take over, train the inhabitants in his ways to raise an army? But most likely, it's just a secluded place to train himself-to grow strong.

He hopes it's enough.

Still thinking of what Ieez looks like, but I'm thinking pale turquoise and red as his primary coloration.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

@Rater202: Sounds good enough. Maybe your character will end up competing for the spot as Earth's future Kami.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Eagle View Post
    When is this happening?
    I can start the game with as few as two players, but I'd like to have someone committed to play a Namekian before we start. So we have someone to create the Dragon Balls.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    @Rater202: Sounds good enough. Maybe your character will end up competing for the spot as Earth's future Kami.
    Not Ieez's style. That'd tie him down, and really, he'd have to give up his goals to be Kami.

More likely, he'd support whichever potential Kami he thinks could help him become stronger. Probably try to find some way to lend his Ki to them so the Dragonballs would be stronger.

Ieez is the kind of person who, after gathering the dragonballs and probably working hard to get them, would wish to remain in the prime of his youth and health eternally n order to give himself plenty of time to get stronger, but not flat out immortality because he'd prefer to be able to die one day, especially if he learns that he was insufficiently prepared when he returns to the Frost Demon Empire(execution is preferable to an eternity of torture)

I can start the game with as few as two players, but I'd like to have someone committed to play a Namekian before we start. So we have someone to create the Dragon Balls.
    I could ask a few people?

When exactly would we b starting? About how close to the "Kami" analog coming to power and creating the dragonballs-would have to be before King Piccolo, meaning Roshi would just be Roshi-no turtle school, no Kamehameha, no eternally just short of elderly because he drank from the fountain of youth. He'd still be a student this time, right?

I'm thinking that Ieez's base form is on the short side-like, slightly shorter than frieza's most heavily sealed form, and looks in general like a combination of first and true form Frieza, with just a tiny hint of third form on the back-head has no horns and is mostly round, and the face most resembles true form, but the sides of the head are armored like first form's. The rest of the body is similar-it looks like first form, but the chest and back are armored like frieza's are in all of his forms but final, and with the.. the best I can describe them are the "natural bracers and grieves" he had, and the armored tip on an otherwise smooth tail. he's also got three short spikes protruding from his back-that's part of the default frieza race options in Xenoverse, and I thought it looked cool.

The unarmored skin is pale turquoise and the parts on the head, chest and shoulders that are purple on frieza would be a darker blue on Ieez. the rigged portions on arm and leg carapace would be a purer turquoise than his skin unarmored skin, and to contrast with all of the blues, the carapaced portions would be red.

I haven't decided on Eye color, but I'm not sure it's important.

I imagine that Ieez stashed his simple, one person ship in a cave on top of a mountain somewhere where the air is too thin for most planetary natives to travel(remember, Frieza's species is somehow capable of breathing without an atmosphere, so thin air shouldn't be a problem), and that he's traveling the planet, mostly by foot(doesn't have the energy reserves to fly very fast, and not for that long) alternatively training and seeking out strange places that might lead him to power. He probably picked up a concealing hooded robe in neutral colors at some point to avoid gathering too much negative attention, since he's trying to lie low, but we can easily start with him without one if the story works better with him only having been on the earth a few days.

I figure the wondering archetype works best for this kind of game until we get a good storyline going-anna start right away with the determination to find who the next Kami will be-Ieez's wanderings have led him to Korin's tower.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I could ask a few people?
    Feel free to do that.

When exactly would we b starting? About how close to the "Kami" analog coming to power and creating the dragonballs-would have to be before King Piccolo, meaning Roshi would just be Roshi-no turtle school, no Kamehameha, no eternally just short of elderly because he drank from the fountain of youth. He'd still be a student this time, right?
    Depends slightly on how old the Namekian player(s) want their characters to be - do they want to start playing as kids (think Dende or Kid Piccolo) or as adults who are already powerful martial artists. Roshi wouldn't even be born yet, though his master, Mutaito, might be.

9. - Top - End - #9

Starting as Children would not necessarily have much effect on when they become the Kami. Dende became Kami as a child.

Changing topic, how long do do Frost Demons/Arcosians live, anyway?

If we take Bardock' specials as canon, Frieza hasn't aged a day since Goku was a small baby, so at bear minimum 25 years is nothing.

I'm personally imagining a life span comparable to Namekians.

And about the name of the race... The only for sure canonical term we have is "Frieza's race". Frost Demons are mentioned once, in Xenoverse, but only if you're a frieza race and mentor under Cell. Anybody else, even Frieza, just refers to you as one of Frieza's clansmen, and the term fromst demon comes from a fan work in the first place. And Xenoverse is a videogame and thus of questionable canocity.

I'm thinking "Frost Demon" is a nickname assigned to the species by others, due to the evil actions of the Empire and the small majority of it's native citizens. And the ice pun names.

Is this acceptable? It'd make for some good opportunities if other aliens get involved.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

10. - Top - End - #10

i'm interested!

Yeah, i'm aware of the Frost Demon nickname. It comes from the fan comic Dragonball Multiverse, but Dragonball Xenoverse made it Ascended Fanon when you fight Cell as a 'Frieza's Race' character in a Parallel Quest and he mentions that he has enough data on the "Frost Demons" already, and thus you (your character) are unnecessary.

I wouldn't mind making a Frost Demon/Arcosian character as well, probably as a sibling to Rater's character.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

11. - Top - End - #11

Friendly sibling or hostile sibling?

Younger or older?

Sticking together on the planet or splitting up?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Im tempted to jump in as popo :D

But i really want to do the abridged version of popo.

please PEACH my homebrew
    The Essence Seeker

I am a

Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A Chaotic Evil Human Sorcerer/Rogue (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-17
    Constitution-13
    Intelligence-19
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-19

13. - Top - End - #13

Preferably friendly.

No preference *rolls IRL dice* younger.

Probably stick together.

14. - Top - End - #14

Alright then, just have to revise Ieez's backstory a bit.

*scratches out "one man ship" and writes "two man ship"*

Done!

What sort of goals would he(assuming he since we have no examples of females) have, and would they differ from Ieez's?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #15

Frieza does mention having parents, plural. While that can mean many things, for all we know Frost Demons have five genders, it's safe to assume that Frost Demon females can be a thing.

As for goals, I haven't decided yet. Give me a bit.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'd definitely be interested in playing. Sounds like a good bit of fun.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Ing View Post
    Frieza does mention having parents, plural. While that can mean many things, for all we know Frost Demons have five genders, it's safe to assume that Frost Demon females can be a thing.

As for goals, I haven't decided yet. Give me a bit.
    All I know about Genders is you were only able to make male Frieza clansman in Xenoverse.

Of course, it could just be that the species has no sexual dimorphism

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Dragon Ball in the Playground [Discussion & Interest checking]

I might be game; how many posts per day are we looking at as an activity rate? I'm good for one or two a day, though Wednesday and Saturday I fall off the face of the earth.

I'm thinking I might do a shapeshifter animal, like Oolong or Puar. I'm thinking some sort of bird or fish, but I'm not sure what. I'd probably end up being less a powerhouse, and more a gimic/trick fighter like Chaotzu was. So probably not as much a main character, but instead a supporting role.
    Click the spoiler tag for a link to my forums!
    Spoiler
    Show

Please visit my forums! We've got a great community and a lot of excellent free form RPing!

Thanks to DrKarling for the awesome avatar!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I am interested, though it has been years since I watched DB DBZ or DBGT. SO i have no idea what to play as.

20. - Top - End - #20

I'm imagining that Ieez has a power level of about 120 to start with. He could probably climb Korin's tower, but would be exhausted when he gets to the top.

I imagine that he has the bare minimum hand to hand skills of warrior his power level.

He knows how to fly and use energy blasts, but he can't sense Ki yet, even his own, which makes him very inefficient in it's use, thus with his relatively small reserves by alien standards he tends to exhaust himself if he flies to long or too fast, and a fight in the air is ones he'll lose if it goes into atrician.

He's a bit better with blasting, but he still uses a bit too much at any given time.

And 3/5ths of Solim is here! Yay!
    Last edited by Rater202; 2015-04-16 at 08:47 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by cavalieredraghi View Post
    I am interested, though it has been years since I watched DB DBZ or DBGT. SO i have no idea what to play as.
    Well all we need is a Namekian to make the Dragonballs and we're set.

...though who's to say that only a Namekian can make the Dragonballs? Obviously the knowledge on how to do it belongs to them but what's to prevent, say...Goku from going to New Namek and making a few inquiries? Now obviously we need to even know that Dragonballs exist but that's not too difficult.

As for my character, since he'd be Ieez's sibling, they'd be something of a counterpart. Weaker, power level of probably 80, but makes up for it with intelligence. He's very smart and a good learner, and an adept technician. He can also fly like his brother, but is noticably slower. His hand-to-hand is quite lacking, but he's a better Ki user, able to fire off ki blasts with more efficiently as well as sense the energy of his opponents, albeit with some concentration and difficulty.

In a one-on-one fight, Ieez would win pretty easily barring unusual circumstances.

22. - Top - End - #22

Got a name and appearance yet?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

hm.

I'm interested.

though I'll probably have to come up with new character concepts, or adapt them. I also had an anti-Frieza concept, though he is technically my first Xenoverse character. might have to come up with something else, since people already have that...

problem is, its seems a little low-tech to play any kind of Android....

maybe I'll play a female human for once. Dragonball does need a female human badass who can keep up with everyone else.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    problem is, its seems a little low-tech to play any kind of Android...
    Were you around for any of the Dragonball Online stuff, before it died because the parent company didn't think it was marketable enough?

Prolog is that children are falling through rifts in time created by the time breakers(this is actually where Mira and Towa first came from)

If a rift in time can send you far back into the same timeline, then it's not unlikely that one could send someone into a different timeline entirely.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, how about:

Android 23:
    In an alternate Timeline, Dr. Gero made three more Androids after himself: 21, 22 and 23. For in this timeline, he failed to make Cell at all. The Z-Fighters defeated all the other Androids as a result, while 21, 22 and 23 were set to activate a few years after the rest as a back up plan. However because there was no Cell, the Z-Fighters were not strong enough to face Majin Buu because they didn't train enough, and so quickly died. However soon at the same time the three Androids were activated, investigated...and found that their mission had already been fulfilled by Buu. Their secondary objective, conquer the Earth so that Dr. Gero could rule was also impossible since Dr. Gero was already dead and Buu was carving his own path of destruction.

So the Androids decided that they were free, but that they couldn't be free with a big pink jelly-monster destroying everything, so they decided to fight against Buu. They weren't doing well, so Android 21 decided to do something risky: He grabbed Majin Buu and drained all the energy he could from Buu until he was dead. As a result Android 21 gained great power from Buu. However then his eyes suddenly flashed red- this was a timeline manipulated Tow and Mira into existence. Android 21 suddenly turned on Android 23, sucking away all her energy, Android 22 attacked Android 21 to save 23's life just in time, but as a result her power levels had fallen to about a mere 200. Android 22 shouted for 23 to run as she held Android 21 off.

Android 23, seeing no other option flew away as fast as she could while Android 22 fought to hold 21 in vain. However it wasn't long before Android 21 drained all of 22's energy and came after 23 for her last bits of energy. However Mira shows up to collect energy from Android 21 and they begin to fight. The resulting battle causes a rift in time that Android 23 falls through and wakes up on a planet that looks like Earth but not any Earth she recognizes. She has no idea what became of 21 or Mira, but to this day she misses Android 22. 22 was her friend, who sacrificed herself so that 23 may live, even if it was just for a few more minutes by the expectations they had at the time. She will not let Android 22's sacrifice go in vain however, and will fight to protect others in this new world she has found.

26. - Top - End - #26

I'm assuming energy absorption type?

Is 23 a true android or a cyborg?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

I'm assuming energy absorption type?

Is 23 a true android or a cyborg?
    I think cyborg. also: I'm assuming that androids can't gain power through normal training since they're mechanical, so they have to absorb that energy to gain it or their power level is fixed. This backstory thus establishes its possible to gain energy from things without killing them and that since she experienced being drained for herself she has enough morals to not just drain everything she sees or whatever.

28. - Top - End - #28

Which conveniently means that her power level is fixed at a level about even with other PCs.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #29

Got a name and appearance yet?
    I'm gonna go with Artic.

Appearance-wise, he's similar to First Form Frieza, however notably taller. His head features four horns, two on either side of his head, that point towards his back. His unarmored skin is very dark grey while his carapace is white, and the colored portions of his carapace are turqoise.

30. - Top - End - #30

So the younger and wewker brother is slightly larger?

Well, that's consistent with other Frieza Race things.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks