New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dragon Ball in the Playground [Discussion & Interest checking]

Maybe we can like, all make minions, and agree beforehand on which minion will face which character? like, none of the minions I make would face Android 23. but would face everyone else.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

It's probably overly hopeful but I'd rather not have to ask people to make more than one character unless they really want.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Colossus in the Playground

I personally don't feel like making minions full fledged characters.

If I ever have more than one character, it'll either be a villain or NPCs

though this stance is subject to change with time.

How Powerful is your character, Razade?

If a hypothetical fight between them were to end with Ieez losing bad, but surviving and coming back more powerful later on, how realistic would that be?
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post

If a hypothetical fight between them were to end with Ieez losing bad, but surviving and coming back more powerful later on, how realistic would that be?
    Realistic because the Villain's only important goal is to lose and the narrative's only important goal is to carry the story to that loss in a realistic though interesting way where everyone involved is satisfied. He's made to be a DBZ Villain hence the over the top EVIL and alluded to multiple forms. He's made to be powerful because DBZ's a narrative about the growth of the heroes.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

well here is the problem I see with villains in freeform RPG's: no one wants to play them. everyone wants to be the hero.

if we really want "designated antagonists" someone has got to be a designated antagonist player like a GM.

problem is, that can be tiring for them. especially since we'll probably split the party and such.

its either that or go grey vs. grey morality and have everyone be out for their own agenda and thus conflict arises from everyone being more concerned with their own goals than that of others.

and the problem with people who play both a hero and a villain is that they could end up roleplaying with themselves too much.

so. what are we going to do?
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2015-04-27 at 09:51 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    well here is the problem I see with villains in freeform RPG's: no one wants to play them. everyone wants to be the hero.
    You're wrong. I have no interest playing a hero in any game I play in.

if we really want "designated antagonists" someone has got to be a designated antagonist player like a GM.
    The Young Thunder Sage is a designated antagonist. There is nothing heroic about him. Sympathetic perhaps, that's on you, but nothing heroic. He's a Villain. Capital E evil. Not good person. He just drowned an entire village because it was between him and the Lookout without even looking around first.

problem is, that can be tiring for them. especially since we'll probably split the party and such.
    I do not find playing antagonists tiring or problematic. I find them to provide a much more interesting and deep character to which to explore.

its either that or go grey vs. grey morality and have everyone be out for their own agenda and thus conflict arises from everyone being more concerned with their own goals than that of others.
    [This is a personal opinion] I do not expect anyone to play Black and White Morality. If you do that's fine but I anticipate people have more nuance and depth than that. [/This is a personal opinion]

and the problem with people who play both a hero and a villain is that they could end up roleplaying with themselves too much.
    Something to deal with if and when that happens. IMO.

so. what are we going to do?
    What we are currently doing does not seem to give us problems. No need to fix a wheel that's working.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

if you say so Razade.....if you say so....

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Raziere you most certainly do not have to agree. But I am telling you, flat out, that I created The Young Thunder Sage to lose and die. It was the very first step when coming up with the character and I will, if I must, make sure it happens OOCly if it doesn't come about ICly. The Young Thunder Sage, and likewise my involvement, in this game has an experation date and that is "for as long as the plot requires". Once that time is up so is the character. I do not want The Young Thunder Sage to win. He will not win. You don't have to believe me either, but I'm going to show you the evidence as this thing goes.
    Last edited by Razade; 2015-04-27 at 10:42 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

I've no problem with you man, I just didn't know players like you existed, sorry if I sounded dismissive

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

I'd hope I was the norm.

- - - Updated - - -

I personally don't feel like making minions full fledged characters.

Should also mention.

It's also highly realistic because only you get to kill your character. I can't kill your character. But at current, Kami is the only one stronger than The Young Thunder Sage. By a wide margin. I trust that's not a problem, as he's the sole villain of the game at current.
    Last edited by Razade; 2015-04-27 at 11:16 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Bugbear in the Playground

*posts because I suddenly started accidentally reading this thread*
    Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    I'd hope I was the norm.
    There are several other players that think the same in FFRP, including me! I love playing villain characters because the conflict with the protagonists allows me to give them more depth, and then in the end I (hopefully) get to write a death scene. (I also like playing "normal"/powerless characters for a similar reason.)

So, now that I've posted in this thread, I suppose I have to say whether or not I'm expressing interest.
    Um.
    To be honest, the DragonBall anime is everything I dislike about anime all mashed up into one show. I could never understand why my older brother liked it.
    However! I like free form roleplay. I will think about making some minor antagonists and/or villains, and maybe one or two no-name powerless characters. If I don't get the internship I interviewed for today (getting it would imply I would have no free time at all) then I will post those minor antagonists here and play them.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mahonri Violist View Post
    There are several other players that think the same in FFRP, including me! I love playing villain characters because the conflict with the protagonists allows me to give them more depth, and then in the end I (hopefully) get to write a death scene. (I also like playing "normal"/powerless characters for a similar reason.)
    I didn't quite mean it in that sense. I more meant that I hoped I was the norm in the approach to Role Playing. And perhaps that requires some clarification and it'll probably sound snobbish. I don't Roleplay for escapism or because I want to play a "bad ass character". I'd be happy Role Playing someone with no powers if required. I've done it many times before. I do it because in a sense I see everyone as as role player. Everyone adopts different personalities in a manner of speaking through their day to day life. We've all worn masks who aren't -us- on a deeply fundamental level. And that's why I role play. I role play to practice that seamless shift from me to someone else and to understand other people. If I can role play someone who so isn't me then I feel I've gained insight into someone else. Someone I may well meet down the road and in that way be able to empathize and understand them on a level they're not expecting. Role playing isn't just an outlet of creativity for me. It's an outlet to practice and feel out social norms. In that sense, The Young Thunder Sage isn't me. He can't be me. His power level is his power level because it's who he is. The IC/OOC connection exists only in that I'm the one writing physically. But, and I'd hope, it wasn't me writing him mentally. And I hope that that's the norm.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Nah, I'm just a weird person who likes playing weird concepts and gets bored with anything that doesn't have some supernatural power, yet somehow creates good well-rounded characters that they like to play in the process. its probably just me.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2015-04-28 at 12:07 AM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Barbarian in the Playground

And now, ladies and gentlemen... and frost demons... and time travelers... and androids... and time-traveling androids... and... hillbilly saiyans? Whatever, here comes LORD SATAN!

Spoiler: Lord Achill Satan.
    Show
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 201 lbs
    Species: Human
    Station: Self-proclaimed Noble/Hired Thug

Spoiler: Description
    Show
    A buff, brown-haired fellow of an imposing figure. Looking directly into his eyes can be difficult for the weak willed, as his mustache and goatee are terrifying beautiful beyond imagining. From top to bottom he wears loose white robes held in place by lacing and a leather belt, loose black leggings and black boots with blue lacing through them. A fantastic blue cape drapes the entire visage, adding a layer of mystery to the hairy gentleman.

Spoiler: Personality
    Show
    When it comes to making friends, Satan is... terrible at it. That's why he let's his "Page-boys", fanbase and good old peer pressure do the friending for him. Chatting with the man for an extended period of time, however, will reveal the bad traits as well as the good ones. He's got an ego. A bit of a mean-streak. And a liar when he needs to be. But he still cares about the ideals he proclaims so often in the papers: Justice. Honor. Protection of the innocent. Muscles. Sausage. And perfect hair. Yeah.

Spoiler: History
    Show
    After being disowned by his family for marrying a peasant woman (and for having it happen the night before he fled his arranged wedding, hoho!) Earl Saton went out into the world to find a new fortune. Although he found life difficult outside of the royal family, his wife Samantha helped him to adjust, work many crafting jobs such as pottery and shoemaking, and find happiness as a low-class citizen.

Until some flying Kung-Fu wizard flew by and offed her. What's worse, Earl saved this weirdo from some wicked monster—ya know, this is a pretty testy subject. Let's just leave that part of his life in the dark for now. All ya gotta know is that Earl swore some oath and completely changed his identity to that of Achill Satan. After tracking down one of the jerk-wizard's old teachers, he began training in martial arts and used these skills to defend politicians and citizens (but mostly politicians) from those strongly against said leader's agenda. Those he protects usually gain many supporters when defended from an enemy by Satan, especially if the attack was a publicity stu—whoops, more testy territory. Not gonna go there. Anyways, that's Satan for ya.

Spoiler: Story So Far
    Show
    Nada.

Spoiler: Abilities
    Show
    Martial Arts Mastery: An expert in a wide variety of martial arts, including his own secret technique: Satan Style!

Pot-pots: Maybe that's what he'd call them if he could speak about them in public. Once after a very successful day in the pottery shop he and his wife stumbled upon a strange formation of clay that, after being hardened, would be prone to break easily, yet dissolve into liquid at the slightest temperature change. Later, he would develop them into red-colored balls which he has stored in his robes. If an enemy proves to be too much of a challenge, he simply slaps them with one, causing it to break and dig into their skin. It's quite painful to ordinary humans.

Spring boots: Specialized boots which allow Satan to jump over twelve feet into the air, and yet land safely, although it took many days and many head-wounds before he could use it safely. This he stole from some snot-nosed inventor who dared to insult his wife during the shoe-making days.

Dumb Luck: He takes the worst wounds yet still manages to recover to full strength, and barely avoids death in most of his jobs to protect a higher-up. It's like, some sorcerous universal author just decided it would be funnier to let him live through these crazy events as comic relief.

If someone else want's to go for great ancestor Satan I'm willing to change the character a bit.

15. - Top - End - #165

I like it.

Nice Generation Xerox treatment.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mahonri Violist View Post
    To be honest, the DragonBall anime is everything I dislike about anime all mashed up into one show. I could never understand why my older brother liked it.
    Oh, the anime is pretty bad. The original manga in many ways highlights how it is bad, as well as how bad it is.

On the other hand, Dragon Ball Abridged wouldn't exist without the anime.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

I am assuming the storm is rather large, thus we are not near the look out, but at least we are still near the storm.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Hm, ok whatever, but that storm formed too fast for it be natural so her line about thanking someone with her fists stands.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

that is fine. I thought it was very funny anyways.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

The "lightning bolts" are also infused with ki Cavali, they don't behave like a regular lightning strike. It's just evocative speech.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

The "lightning bolts" are also infused with ki Cavali, they don't behave like a regular lightning strike. It's just evocative speech.
    his levitators are also Ki manipulators since the Lightning is infused with Ki then they can be overloaded still.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

I more meant it's like getting hit by a kamehameha, not a bolt of lightning. That's cool though.
    Last edited by Razade; 2015-04-28 at 03:03 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

I more meant it's like getting hit by a kamehameha, not a bolt of lightning. That's cool though.
    It is fine, I mainly meant for it give an story excuse to finally show Who Callins is the Ancestor of.
    I mean why not it be the Capsule Corp family. After all Genius seems to run in their family.

IT also kind explains Why Balma, IMHO, was so fascinated by the Dragonballs as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Since i am still new to the free form RP. Do we describe the Wasteland or let Frozen?

24. - Top - End - #174

And that time is now.

I just got an Idea for a character I'd think is good for getting the Oolong/Yamcha/Tien/Piccolo/Vegeta treatment.

That is, starts as a villain but later ends up one of the good guys.

He's not going to show up for a while though.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

Well that didn't take long.

26. - Top - End - #176

To be honest, the idea for the character has been in my mind for years, but I only just realized how well he'd fit in this.

Preemptive warning, he's not the most original concept.

I could PM you a description, Frozen, to make sure he's okay for the game?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

We're riffing on one of the most popular Shonen series made. Originality isn't something I'd be worrying of. But sure, you can send me a PM if you feel like it.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

and 23 has carved her message!

NOTHING COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG FROM THIS. YUP. BEST IDEA. BEST IDEA EVER.

29. - Top - End - #179

Things that could go wrong: [Redacted] could see it and get the entirely wrong idea from it.

Speaking of [Redacted], I'll have to have a PM conversation with you, Raziere, later, once I don't have a paper due first thing I have to work on.

Maybe a little bit with Cavaliere, too.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Hey Rater, it's really hard to fight back and stuff when you don't actually react to anything I post. Just saying.