1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default AVB - Fact of the Matter

razorback and DM only!

The man approaches, obviously a butler of some kind.

"I do apologize, but Lady Walda is unavailable at the moment. I'm empowered to discuss anything pertaining to Jasper."
    Back from the honeymoon! Still getting settled in, but I'm back and posting!

Aldhaven: Vicious Betrayals - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    A:VB OOC Thread
    Aldhaven Consolidated Rules
    Spoiler: Homebrew
    Show
    The Kreen of the Desert - Races, classes, feats, and more

Fivefold Paths of Magic
    Rizban's E6 Compendium
    Full Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: AVB - Fact of the Matter

"Jasper, I take it, is the feline in question?" Before the man can answer, he extends his hand "I am Virgil Camlin. I have heard that Jasper has gone missing and some assistance in locating the wayward cat is required?"
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

He looks at your hand for a moment before reluctantly shaking it through the bars of the gate.

"Indeed. Jasper is the missing cat. To keep this short, he was last seen at the Fortress running north into the Docks. His favorite food is smoked dire beaver. He is white and black with a distinct star pattern over his right eye and wears a collar with a custom made silver bell."

Show

Fivefold Paths of Magic
    Rizban's E6 Compendium
    Full Homebrew List

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Virgil tries his best not to grimace at the mention of the docks with mixed success.
    Mentally storing what he is told, he says "For something like this I usually work on a retainer that would be debited against the reward amount. How do you wish to handle this transaction?"
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

"And if we put everyone on retainer who wandered by after hearing the very public request, the estate would be broke within a week. Now, if you had recommendations from individuals of note, that might be different. As it is, there's no reason to do more than offer you the same reward offered to everyone. I'm sure you understand."

Show

Fivefold Paths of Magic
    Rizban's E6 Compendium
    Full Homebrew List

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

With a nod of his head, Virgil replies "I completely understand. What is the amount, if you don't mind me asking. Also, any other information you may be able to provide? The quickest means to a recovery would suit all involved, I'm sure."
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

"The amount is 1,000 gold, assuming the pet is returned unharmed and in good health.

Information such as what?"

Show

Fivefold Paths of Magic
    Rizban's E6 Compendium
    Full Homebrew List

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

"Anyone who might possibly be using the cat as leverage against your employer, former employees with an ax to grind, those kind of bits that might seem a bit extraneous but you never know what value or relationship may be attached."

Spoiler
    Show

Sense motive
    (1d20+18)[24]
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

"Nothing of the sort. The cat was seen simply running away by the girl herself. She took it with her when visiting the Fortress to see her father. It escaped and took off, as cats are wont to do."

Show

Fivefold Paths of Magic
    Rizban's E6 Compendium
    Full Homebrew List

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

"Understood. It being the docks, it will take a little time to gather some information as to the whereabouts of Jasper. With your description of the feline, I should be able to gather him up and return him. Thank you for your time."
    With that Virgil nods to the man and proceeds to walk out, keeping the dread of the docks out of his mind as he looks up at the sky to see what time it is.
    <Need to get down to the Red Rose, fairly early.> he thinks to himself.
    He eventually makes his way back to the plaza and goes into Ezekiel's, picking up a 4 coin pouches.

Spoiler
    Show

What time of day is it?
    Kn: Local to see if he knows of any place besides the Red Rose where he can go about asking information without being too direct.
    (1d20+4)[5]

Is it an issue to convert 600 of my starting gp to pp?
    Last edited by razorback; 2015-04-19 at 05:42 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    How does he know about the Red Rose?

You can have the coins in any form you want. That's mostly fluff.
    The coin pouches are priced as standard.

Show

Fivefold Paths of Magic
    Rizban's E6 Compendium
    Full Homebrew List

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Virgil goes shopping and picks up some coin pouches before he checks the time.

Spoiler
    Show

How does he know about the Red Rose?
    I assumed, maybe incorrectly, as being a local he would know about the Red Rose.
    Did you want me to roll on this?

Also, what time of the day is it?
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The Red Rose isn't something that people living outside of the Docks really know about. It's one of those local, neighborhood type bars. Still, you could have heard about it, I suppose.

You figure that it's pretty well just an open area you could walk around asking questions without too much trouble, so long as you don't bother people too much. You don't really know more than that.
    It's a bit more than an hour after noon.

Show

Fivefold Paths of Magic
    Rizban's E6 Compendium
    Full Homebrew List

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I thought you were already on wedding mode until I saw you post this morning.
    My apologies.

Virgil frets for a few moments, knowing he has a few hours to get into the docks, try to get information, and get back out. Mentally marking the time, he heads out to the docks quickly.

Spoiler
    Show

Did you want me to roll to see if he know of the Red Rose or should he fumble around looking for leads around the docks in general?
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Wedding mode commenced in May. I was still posting sporadically on the forum, but I wasn't doing any AVB related stuff. Too much work.

Rolling a Know check in general is probably just a good idea.
    Heading north along Mastiff's Road, you reach a large gatehouse in the city's outer wall, known as Rivergate. It stands open. On the other side, you can see the great river rushing by with a stone causeway built into it just inches above water level, the river flowing through channels under and through the stone. The Fortress is built on a large island in the middle of the causeway.

Looking past the island, you can see another large gatehouse on the far shore. Just beyond that gatehouse is the Docks and outer slums of the city. Looking at it, a shudder sneaks its way down your back.

As you approach the massive gate of the Fortress, one of three guardsmen posted at the gate steps forward.

"Halt. What business have you here?"
    Last edited by Rizban; 2015-06-01 at 11:36 PM.

Show

Fivefold Paths of Magic
    Rizban's E6 Compendium
    Full Homebrew List

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Kn: Local (Aldhaven) (1d20+4)[24]

As Virgil goes sauntering up, he continues to go over every scrap of information or whisper of a rumor he has heard about the docks while keeping the one bit of information relevant to all the discussions - don't be caught on the docks at night if you value your life.

At the challenge by the guard he keeps his hands up and away from his sword and smile on his face.
    "On an errand for the househould of Lady Walda on this fine day. Obviously something that she doesn't want to do herself nor allow any of her... well, closer and much more useful servants, so I am down here to gather some bits and pieces for some project or other that the household requires. Only know what I'm supposed to do but not high enough in the ranks to know what its for, lads. How are you three doing today? Any rumors that I should be aware of before I head over there?" he says in an amiable voice.

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy on the guards
    (1d20+17)[20]

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

What you know of the Docks is mostly rumor and conjecture. There's some malevolent force that brutally murders anyone who wanders the streets at night while carrying anything less than overwhelming force, though it seems that humans are more brutally brutalized than others. You know of few safe havens in the Docks, though it seems that whatever perpetrates the murder doesn't enter into any of the buildings, or at least does so only very rarely. Still, all windows and doors are secured before sundown, and the city gates are closed and secured just as the sun is setting, not a moment later.

Of the few safe havens in the Docks, you know only of The Red Rose Tavern, a local bar for the less human-like races. They're known to tolerate 'strays' who get locked out at night, but they charge for their 'protection' and are known to throw particularly troublesome guests out into the darkness if need be.

The weary guard eyes you coldly.

"Kid, you talk too much. If you value your life and your job, you'll learn to shut your trap. If you really are working for the nobles, that is...
    Whatever, doesn't concern me. Just get out of my sight.
    "

He waves you past the checkpoint and into the Docks.

As you pass through Dockside Gate, you get a sense of stepping into another world. The Docks are quite different from the rest of the city, not just in appearance but in the very feel of the area. It's as if a spirit of malice lingers in the air.

The first few buildings around the gate look to be in good condition and share the same general building style as Old Town on the far side of the river, obviously government buildings of some kind. Farther out, the buildings quickly degenerate into ramshackle structures built in haste for the cheapest cost possible. Interspersed throughout are a few larger buildings of slightly better construction, apparently built as warehouses. To the north, you see rows upon rows of "houses" that are little more than dangerously leaning shacks, which you conclude is the area known commonly as The Slums. You know the piers of the Docks are to your left from here, though you can't actually see them from here due to the buildings.

The crowd thins out past the gate to the point that there's nothing to blend into. People travel in small groups of no more than 2 or 3, and even those are fairly far apart.

Show

Fivefold Paths of Magic
    Rizban's E6 Compendium
    Full Homebrew List

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Virgil smiles at the guard, being not quite successful at hiding his dislike for the man.
    Sketching a mocking bow at the man, he says "As you wish..." as he continues on, back erect.
    Once out of the man's sight, he scans the sky to check the time.
    Looking around, he tries to figure out the path to the docks. He spends a few minutes on a couple of different paths before figuring out the correct path.
    Once he he has a clear view, he takes a strong whiff of the air, trying to determine what has the strongest and fishiest smell then heads over towards it, looking for anyone who might be a fishmonger or fisherman.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

You look up at the sky. It's blue. You believe that big bright ball up there is called "the sun," but you aren't certain. Something about the rules saying you can't even identify members of your own race without the appropriate knowledge checks, which might explain all the half elves and half orcs and whatnot. Telling the time by the position of the sun is definitely a Survival check, as is tracking something by scent. Fortunately, survival can be used untrained!

Show

Fivefold Paths of Magic
    Rizban's E6 Compendium
    Full Homebrew List

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Survival check
    (1d20+2)[21]

Spot check
    (1d20+12)[27]

Virgil continues to scout around, trying to look around for the wayward feline, although he doesn't really expect much success on that front, while looking for anyone who might have information that he can garner, in his roundabout way.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the slow posting. I've been both very busy and pretty sick the past few days.

You determine that it's about an hour past noon.

The reek of the docks is all around you, but you determine that the piers where ships dock are directly to your left. However, you're not sure whether you should take the main road around and down or try to find a path along the narrow streets and alleys that wind through the warehouses and other buildings between you and the piers.

Show

Fivefold Paths of Magic
    Rizban's E6 Compendium
    Full Homebrew List

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

No worries, I'm still trying to get caught up on some stuff while on a business trip and have to take another in a couple of weeks. If you're ok with a slow pace, so am I.

Virgil spends a few moments considering his options before heading out, loosening his sword in his scabbard and focuses on the magics he has memorized as he moves out, looking for his missing prey along with avoiding those who may call him prey.

He checks as he walks down the narrow streets and alleys, keeping an eye and ear out for danger while looking for any sign of the cat or any other dead animals that may lead him towards Jasper or anywhere that may be a den of strays.

Spoiler
    Show

Virgil is going to slowly move down the road in, probably vain, hope of finding captain kitty.
    Not sure if you want any or all of these but I figured I'd roll once.
    Listen
    (1d20+8)[22]

Search
    (1d20+14)[27]

Spot
    (1d20+12)[15]

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

You see and hear a number of things in the docks, including a handful of cats. Unfortunately, the one you're seeking is not among them...

Show

Fivefold Paths of Magic
    Rizban's E6 Compendium
    Full Homebrew List

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Virgil walks around, giving a bunch of "Here, kitty, kitty, kitty"'s as he tries to get good looks at the cats but not finding his quarry, but getting some strange looks from the locals.
    Dusting himself off, he wanders over to the nearest fishmonger.
    "Kind of a bland day, eh? Say, my girl has this cat and... well, it likes fish. Anything in particular you'd think would be a favorite for your run of the mill cat that I can get from you? Also, any place you'd recommend to grab a bite would be appreciated."
    Spoiler
    Show

Sense motive on the fishmonger
    (1d20+18)[29]
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

The Docks, being a rather dangerous place indeed, has no merchants of any kind openly pitching his wares anywhere to be found.

As you wander the back alleys near the water's edge, you suddenly feel a razor sharp knife in your back that burns like unholy fire.
    (1d4+3)[6] + Bane - (2d6)[4] + Sneak Attack - (1d6)[6]

"Aww, has the little human lost his way?"

Show

Fivefold Paths of Magic
    Rizban's E6 Compendium
    Full Homebrew List

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

As he stands, Virgil feels the steel pierce his flesh and he lets out a small cry as he pushes away from the pain.
    His mind races as he realizes he is in over his head and probably outnumbered.
    Focusing for a split second, he blurs forward 15 feet by some magic force as he beats a hasty retreat, looking over his shoulder to get a glimpse of his assailant, before turning the first corner and rushing down the main road.

Spoiler
    Show

Virgil
    AC ~ 10; Current ~ 10
    HP ~ 52; Current ~ 36

Swift Action
    Active Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker for a 15ft movement as part of the swift activation.

Full round action
    Run!

Kn:Geography or Local(Aldaven) [whichever is more appropriate, they have the same bonus] to see if he can figure out where he is and how to get out of here
    (1d20+4)[16]

Effects ~

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

You fail to Spot whoever or whatever stabbed you in the back, but running as fast as you can, you provoke only a single attack of opportunity, which catches you off guard due to being unable to see your assailant(s).

Dagger (1d20+8)[22] (1d4+3)[7] + Bane - (2d6)[11] + Sneak Attack - (1d6)[4]

You know that if you go back the way you came, you should get back to where you started, Dockside Gate.

Show

Fivefold Paths of Magic
    Rizban's E6 Compendium
    Full Homebrew List

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Does he get an AoO since he used his Chronocharm instead of moving first?

Lifeblood spilling, Virgil runs for his life, unable to see his assailant.
    he makes his way back towards the gate as quickly as he can and, once in sight of the gate, slows his pace while doing a quick look around as he pulls out a potions and quaffs it down while cleaning up his appearance.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot
    (1d20+12)[15]
    Listen
    (1d20+8)[9]
    Potion of CLW
    (1d8+1)[3]

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    No, he doesn't. It was one of the others who got one as you ran past after. Without the charm, you'd have take 3 AoOs.
    You neither see nor hear your assailants pursuing you, but you don't feel like that really means anything at this point.

You think it wiser not to slow down until you're much closer to the gate than just "within sight". You reach the main road leading through the gate and chug your potion.

Show

Fivefold Paths of Magic
    Rizban's E6 Compendium
    Full Homebrew List