Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Tengu_temp's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Poland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Question about insults

    Several times already I have seen posters calling other posters SJWs, or social justice warriors.

    My question is: is the mod team aware that this term is both an insult and politically charged? It's recent-ish internet lingo, so I'm asking to be sure. Since this is a forum where you can get a warning for calling someone else a fanboy, I found it weird that people get away with calling other posters SJWs.

    Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Super Robot Wars Unification - large-scale mecha game, now running, always recruiting!
    Spoiler
    Show





  2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Question about insults

    It would not surprise me if people who throw that term around DO get warned for it, and it simply doesn't get scrubbed for whatever reason. I am certainly not going to test that theory though.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Surpriser View Post
    The big, glowing letters on every adamantine doors say: "Break me down and sell me!"

    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Tengu_temp's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Poland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Question about insults

    You can't get a warning/infraction without the post getting scrubbed. Trust me, I know from experience.

    Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Super Robot Wars Unification - large-scale mecha game, now running, always recruiting!
    Spoiler
    Show





  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Bulldog Psion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Question about insults

    Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    It would not surprise me if people who throw that term around DO get warned for it, and it simply doesn't get scrubbed for whatever reason. I am certainly not going to test that theory though.
    While what you say is true, it would also be pretty unusual for something disallowed to not get scrubbed when a warning was issued. In fact, wouldn't it be pretty much unique?

    Edit: I see Tengu-temp already has it covered. So, the non-scrubbing is pretty much conclusive proof that "SJW" is currently "allowed," then?
    Last edited by Bulldog Psion; 2015-04-15 at 09:30 AM.
    Spoiler: My current mood
    Show

    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
    And sorry I could not travel both
    And be one traveler, long I stood
    And looked down one as far as I could
    To where it bent in the undergrowth

    [...]
    Oh, I kept the first for another day!
    Yet knowing how way leads on to way
    I doubted if I should ever come back.

    I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Iruka's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: Question about insults

    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    Edit: I see Tengu-temp already has it covered. So, the non-scrubbing is pretty much conclusive proof that "SJW" is currently "allowed," then?
    No, unscrubbed "SJW" only proves that not all appearances of it were scrubbed. You can't tell how often it actually was scrubbed. Also, since it is not obvious as an insult to all people, probably only a fraction gets reported and thus the attention of the mods.
    I think it was actually stated before that a lack of scrubbing is not to be taken as evidence for allowed behaviour.
    Last edited by Iruka; 2015-04-15 at 09:47 AM. Reason: rephrasing

    I'm now also doing this deviantart thing.
    "Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~

    Je suis Charlie.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Question about insults

    Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Several times already I have seen posters calling other posters SJWs, or social justice warriors.

    My question is: is the mod team aware that this term is both an insult and politically charged? It's recent-ish internet lingo, so I'm asking to be sure. Since this is a forum where you can get a warning for calling someone else a fanboy, I found it weird that people get away with calling other posters SJWs.
    If you believe something is Flaming/Trolling, please report it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    No, unscrubbed "SJW" only proves that not all appearances of it were scrubbed. You can't tell how often it actually was scrubbed. Also, since it is not obvious as an insult to all people, probably only a fraction gets reported and thus the attention of the mods.
    I think it was actually stated before that a lack of scrubbing is not to be taken as evidence for allowed behaviour.
    Correct.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2015-04-15 at 10:48 AM.
    Fedoruman Roland by Chris the Pontifex

    Forum Rules

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •