New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Lost Mines of Phandelver [IC]

Wide eyed with horror, Hyram scurries over to the fallen bard. Knowing he doesn't have the brawn to move a tree, he carefully examines how the weight is distributed, in hopes of telling the next big person how to shift it.

Jumping up and down he gestures wildly-- "Over here! Heave this branch that way! It should pivot the whole trunk, and that think branch will serve as a fulcrum, and give poor Tom a few inches that we need to pull him out!" Hiram shouts orders with complete confidence.

Spoiler
    Show
    Basically, i'm trying to use his mechanical knowledge to provide a "help" advantage. Maybe that can't be done, in which case i'll provide unhelpful advice.

Maybe this is a stretch, but an investigate roll, as the basis for the helping?

(1d20+7)[27]
    Last edited by eleazzaar; 2015-04-17 at 09:28 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Eyepatch positively wilts under Perra's stern gaze, and looks down at the floor. It starts fidgeting and unconsciously backs away from the paladin.

"We were gonna rob yous. Not kills. But he kills friends." he points an accusing finger at Zuu. He looks hopefully at the shortbow he threw down. Can me kills him? Eye for an eyes. Is fair trade."

Perra
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your divine sense tells you that the goblin isn't a celestial, fiend or undead, and there's nothing of the sort nearby.

3. - Top - End - #33

Quote Originally Posted by Vesth View Post
    Eyepatch positively wilts under Perra's stern gaze, and looks down at the floor. It starts fidgeting and unconsciously backs away from the paladin.

"We were gonna rob yous. Not kills. But he kills friends." he points an accusing finger at Zuu. He looks hopefully at the shortbow he threw down. Can me kills him? Eye for an eyes. Is fair trade."

Perra
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your divine sense tells you that the goblin isn't a celestial, fiend or undead, and there's nothing of the sort nearby.
    "You committed a hostile action, we responded, the death of your friend was a just death. Tell me how many of you there are? Aside from the traitor who escaped, do you have any other goblins nearby?"

Spoiler: DM
    Show
    Inwardly, Perra relaxes a bit, relieved that they aren't near the necromancy yet.
    Some kind of word-witch. She/her. Find more of my stuff at my new website!

4. - Top - End - #34

Lizardfolk

Anvorwulf takes heed of Hyram's advice and uses on of the branches as a fulcrum to allow Tom to crawl out.

After Tom is free Anvorwulf walks over to Perra so he can hear the interrogation.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"So, anybody got some rope? Sleeping goblins over here." Zuu calls out.

After a beat, he grins and says matter-of-factly, "Of course, we only need one alive."

The warlock walks slowly towards the little goblin. On the way, he picks up the shortbow and snaps it in half like a twig. "So, One-Eye. That is your name, correct? You wish to invoke morality and kill me?" he points his finger at the little creature, as dark energies swirl about his hand. "Your single eye saw how easily I dispatched your little friends. Trust me, you do not want to get on my bad side."

"There are many things worse than death, Goblin. I suggest you submit lest you wish to experience them."

Spoiler
    Show
    Bonus Action: Transfer Hex to goblin.
    Obey me, goblin. Or else. Intimidation: (1d20+5)[25]
    Oh hey, a natural 20.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2015-04-17 at 10:20 PM.
    Now Playing

Zarron Gemblossom (Half-Elf Bard): IC | OOC
    Zuu Greenbrook (Half-Elf Warlock 7): IC | OOC

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Eyepatch cowers on the ground and lets out a curiously high pitched whine as it trembles.

"I submits! I submits! No kill me and friends! No use magicks on me! I leads you to camp. You kill traitor and let us go, and I leads you there, yes? We promise we not rob peoples again. We no rob scary elves again!"

7. - Top - End - #37

Perra nods at Zuu. "Your assistance is appreciated."

Eyepatch cowers on the ground and lets out a curiously high pitched whine as it trembles.

"I submits! I submits! No kill me and friends! No use magicks on me! I leads you to camp. You kill traitor and let us go, and I leads you there, yes? We promise we not rob peoples again. We no rob scary elves again!"
    Perra turns back to the goblin and brings the warhammer to the goblin's head, putting it right next to its cheek, and says, "You still haven't answered my question. Don't test my patience. How many more of you are there?"
    Last edited by Malexia; 2015-04-17 at 10:52 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Eyepatch plants both hands in front of Perra's face and wiggles all ten fingers. "More than this! More than this! Yeemik says we has more than two hands of friends, but I nevers learn to count!"

9. - Top - End - #39

Eyepatch plants both hands in front of Perra's face and wiggles all ten fingers. "More than this! More than this! Yeemik says we has more than two hands of friends, but I nevers learn to count!"
    Perra nods. "Hmm. One of you, please tie him up so that we can have a meeting without him hearing. We need to figure out how to approach this."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Are his arms even that long?

10. - Top - End - #40

Lizardfolk

Anvorwulf runs to the wagon and fetches rope from his pack. He returns to Perra and hands her the rope. Anvorwulf leans over and whispers in Perra's ear. His face is dead serious and he seems to be saying something he doesn't want anyone else to hear.

Spoiler: Perra only
    Show
    "I don't like the idea of letting him live. This goblin is not the kind of loose end I want left to show up later on. After it tells us where Gundren and Sildar is I think it is for the best if we put it down"
    Last edited by Lank; 2015-04-17 at 11:41 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by Lank View Post
    Anvorwulf leans over and whispers in Perra's ear. His face is dead serious and he seems to be saying something he doesn't want anyone else to hear.

Spoiler: Perra only
    Show
    "I don't like the idea of letting him live. This goblin is not the kind of loose end I want left to show up later on. After it tells us where Gundren and Sildar is I think it is for the best if we put it down"
    Perra responds in kind.

Spoiler: Anvorwulf
    Show
    "He is evil. He must be purged. There is no question that he will be put down once he is of no more use to us, but for now we need it to know about other goblins in the region, the location of our employer, and anything else we might ask. Discussing this is part of why I wanted a private meeting."

12. - Top - End - #42

Lizardfolk

Anvorwulf's face seems to have brightened up again. He speaks up not caring who hears now.
    "Very well, we had better start binding some goblins before they wake up. I wouldn't want anymore getting away for I fear the one that did has returned to his tribe to get re-enforcements" Anvorwulf pauses for a moment "We should not linger around here for long".

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Everything had been going so well. The goblins hadn't reached them before the mages had unleashed on them, he'd managed to thin the crowd behind the wagon down to one and had drawn his dagger to take the last one on in mano-a-gobbo combat... and then a tree fell on Tom. He'd tried to duck out of the way, but no. It landed more or less right on top of him. It could have been worse, though. Whoever had cut through the tree had left the road-side bit of trunk intact, and while that made the trap harder to see... the remainder had been thick enough to remain mostly intact, if bent well out-of-shape. The result was that the log had come to rest at an angle, and Tom wasn't completely crushed... just stuck.

It took the barbarian and the gnome a while to twist the trunk enough for Tom to scooch far enough to the side that the trunk above him was no longer on him, but after that it was a simple matter of crawling forward and retrieving his dagger. "Well, that went well" he declared once he was re-armed and dusted off.

Once freed and collected, Tom turns his attention to the sleeping goblins, and he is immediately befuddled. Zuu's comment about only needing one rings in his memory, although he hadn't been paying too much attention to the mage at the time due to the tree and all, but Tom still stood there for several seconds just looking at the slumbering goblins. Finally, he opens his mouth to say something, but his question is answered before he even utters it.

Hearing what Anvorwulf has to say on the matter, Tom shrugs, nods, and gets to work tying the goblins up--with their own clothing, if need be.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Tying up the sleeping goblins using whatever tying implements are handed to me or their own clothes if I have nothing else.
    Because Lank posted while I was writing this post originally, this action is being edited in, so the rolls are going to be in the OOC thread.
    Last edited by Townopolis; 2015-04-17 at 11:55 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Now, that wasn't so hard, was it?" Zuu says. He lets the eldritch energies he has been preparing dissipate into the air.

While the dragonborn conferences with his fellow journeymen, Zuu focuses all his attention on the cowering goblin. A flash of inspiration hits him. He grabs the poor goblin's head and cups his hands around it. Muttering a few arcane phrases, the warlock starts to summon up his Shocking Hands cantrip. He deliberately rachets the spell down so that it would tingle the goblin - but not actually harm it. After a while, he removes his hands.

"W-what dids you do to me?"it cried in fear.

"Glad you asked. I just cast a curse on you. Here's how it works: I just placed some magic inside your head. If I die, it explodes. If you are more than 120 feet from me, it explodes. If I trigger the code word, it explodes. And when I say it explodes, well, you know what it means," Zuu says, while motioning towards the two deceased Eldritch-blasted goblins.

"Do you understand what I just said?"

Without waiting for a response, the warlock continues talking in an extremely amiable and conversational tone.

"But I am not without mercy. Work with me, and I'll protect you, pay you, and even teach you magic. But first, tell me your name, and all about yourself and your tribe. Why is it that you feel compelled to rob travelers instead of earning an honest living?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm doing a Deception check to fool the Goblin about the magic bomb in its head. I am assuming I would get advantage on this, because it is so afraid of me at this moment?

Deception Roll: (1d20+5)[9]
    With Advantage: (1d20+5)[19]
    Now Playing

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by Zergrinch View Post
    "Glad you asked. I just cast a curse on you. Here's how it works: I just placed some magic inside your head. If I die, it explodes. If you are more than 120 feet from me, it explodes. If I trigger the code word, it explodes. And when I say it explodes, well, you know what it means," Zuu says, while motioning towards the two deceased Eldritch-blasted goblins.

"Do you understand what I just said?"

Without waiting for a response, the warlock continues talking in an extremely amiable and conversational tone.

"But I am not without mercy. Work with me, and I'll protect you, pay you, and even teach you magic. But first, tell me your name, and all about yourself and your tribe. Why is it that you feel compelled to rob travelers instead of earning an honest living?"
    Perra frowns at Zuu, and leans over to speak quietly.

Spoiler: Zuu
    Show
    "Do you actually have that spell? And I can't imagine you're serious about paying this miserable wretch, are you?"

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Do you actually have that spell? And I can't imagine you're serious about paying this miserable wretch, are you?"

"No, of course not," the warlock whispers back. "But this one doesn't look too bright. All that matters is it believes what I said is true."

"Am I serious about paying him?" he answers a little rhetorically, raising his voice to a conversational level to allow the goblin to overhear. "Yes. I will protect him and even pay him out of my personal funds. Everyone deserves a chance at redemption. Even goblins."
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2015-04-18 at 01:03 AM.
    Now Playing

17. - Top - End - #47

Lizardfolk

"Learn magic? HAHAHA! This half-wit can't even count!".
    Anvorwulf laughs uncontrollably for a bit longer before he quiets down.
    "Shall we wake the others or let them sleep a bit longer while we question this one?".

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by Lank View Post
    "Learn magic? HAHAHA! This half-wit can't even count!".
    Anvorwulf laughs uncontrollably for a bit longer before he quiets down.
    "Shall we wake the others or let them sleep a bit longer while we question this one?".
    "Leave them sleeping, the goblin will feel less pressure to protect his friends."

19. - Top - End - #49

Lizardfolk

"This dreg has no care for its tribesmen, its only care is for itself. I mean seriously the one that got away would have rather crushed his own men under a tree than face capture. Cowardly and dishonorable beasts"
    Anvorwulf pauses for a moment before wiping the sweat off his forehead.
    "I think I need to cool off for a bit, I'll be on the wagon if anyone needs me".
    Anvorwulf climbs on top of the wagon a sits down. He looks stressed out.
    Last edited by Lank; 2015-04-18 at 01:26 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50

Perra turns to Zuu and in a low voice says, "Do you really expect us to harbor a creature of evil in the party? The goblin is a thief, and likely a murderer. As the Order teaches, 'The hand of justice is not the hand of mercy'. Evil must be purged."

Perra pauses for a moment, then asks, "Why do you care about this goblin's life?"

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"I am not a member of the Order. With all due respect, I am not bound by its teachings. I believe in justice tempered by mercy. I believe in redemption," Zuu says plainly, a little put off by the paladin's apparent thirst for blood. "I believe no creature is so base as to be completely irredeemable. I believe no one is born good or evil, and has the ability to direct their fate based on their choices. I take full responsibility for him. I am certain the spell I cast on him can keep him in line."

Jerking a look towards the other goblins, the warlock adds, "With that said, the rest of the raiding group are fair game. I will not defend them if it is justice you demand."
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2015-04-18 at 02:02 AM.
    Now Playing

22. - Top - End - #52

Quote Originally Posted by Zergrinch View Post
    "I believe in justice tempered by mercy. I believe in redemption," Zuu simply says. "I believe no creature is so base as to be completely irredeemable. I believe no one is born good or evil, and has the ability to direct their fate based on their choices. I take full responsibility for him. I am certain the spell I cast on him can keep him in line."

Jerking a look towards the other goblins, the warlock adds, "With that said, the rest of the raiding group are fair game. I will not defend them if it is justice you demand."
    "And what of serial killers, undead, and fiends? Are they too capable of redemption?" Perra is silent for a moment, then nods. "I will not oppose you, if you truly wish to aid this goblin. I suppose that perhaps, if you are truly devoted to this cause, you may redeem him, and bring a certain amount of light to yourself. As the Order teaches, 'The light shall guide you, have faith that if you work hard, you shall accomplish your mission.'"

Perra turns to leave, but turns back to look at Zuu one last time. "Just know that I am a paladin, a harbinger of justice. If the goblin commits another act of evil willfully, I will purge its presence from this land."
    Last edited by Malexia; 2015-04-18 at 02:06 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Malexia View Post
    "And what of serial killers, undead, and fiends? Are they too capable of redemption?" Perra is silent for a moment, then nods. "I will not oppose you, if you truly wish to aid this goblin. I suppose that perhaps, if you are truly devoted to this cause, you may redeem him, and bring a certain amount of light to yourself. As the Order teaches, 'The light shall guide you, have faith that if you work hard, you shall accomplish your mission.'"

Perra turns to leave, but turns back to look at Zuu one last time. "Just know that I am a paladin, a harbinger of justice. If the goblin commits another act of evil willfully, I will purge its presence from this land."
    "You are using an unfair and extreme example. A goblin who steals to eat can hardly be compared to a serial killer, undead, or fiend. Any sapient creature is capable of redemption. Granted, it is highly unlikely and perhaps well outside the realm of believability for a fiend to abandon evil, such a possibility still exists, no matter how slim. For as long as we draw breath, we can always change."

Turning back to the Goblin who has overheard all of these, the warlock comments nonchalantly. "Listen well, if you willfully commit an evil act, not only will I gladly let her have her way, I'll hold you down while she does it, and I'll detonate that bomb after she's done. Do you understand?"
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2015-04-18 at 02:21 AM.
    Now Playing

24. - Top - End - #54

Perra nods at Zuu's words, and extends her hand towards the warlock. "We have our disagreements on this matter then but let us not let this drive a wedge in the party. You performed admirably in battle today, for which I thank you."
    Last edited by Malexia; 2015-04-18 at 02:25 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zuu accepts the proffered hand. "It's what I was hired for, right? I thank you for your trust."

When her hand came away, it has a bit of Zuu's blood on it (Zuu lost 3 HP from an arrow wound). "Sorry, I thought it dried by now. He got me good right there." he says sheepishly.

While his fellow travelers clear away the corpses and prepare to depart, the warlock turns his full attention to the goblin.

"Now, your name. Your tribe. Your motivations. And what happened to the travelers riding these horses?"
    Now Playing

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

"People calls me Fizxeez. Friends call me One-One-Eye." he gestures towards his eyepatch. "Lost eye to other goblin in camp, I poked his eye out too. Now he called Two-One-Eye." Although he's still afraid, he seems a little hopeful, since, from what he can tell, he has a good chance of living. "We robs a dwarf and a human yesterdays. Brought them to Boss. Boss took dwarf away somewhere and deciding what to do with human. You promise to let me goes, and I brings you there nows? Good chance human still alive."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The warlock stands up, and places an arm around the goblin's shoulder. "Now, Fizxeez, wasn't it? I want you to take a good look at that dragonborn. The one with the big teeth? Yeah, her. See, she thinks you are a bad goblin, and her job is to kill everything bad."

The warlock makes a slitting motion across his neck, to dramatize the moment. "That means, she wants to kill you."

"But," the warlock pauses for effect, "I don't think you are bad. I think you just did not get the chance to be good."

"Now," the half elf continues, pacing around the little goblin like a cornered prey, "She doesn't believe me and she doesn't want to let you go. So we need to prove to her that you can be a good goblin."

"So, how do we prove that you can be good? It is simple. The dwarf and man you robbed are our friends, and we want them back safe and sound. Help convince your camp to free them without any bloodshed, and she will believe you."

Having shown the goblin the stick, the charismatic half-elf now dangles a carrot. "Do this, and I release the spell I put on you. I will also make you a job offer: I pay you 1 gold piece a week, and you come with us, not as a prisoner, but as my assistant. I will train you in magic. Just think, no longer will they call you One One-Eye, but as a mighty goblin warlock."
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2015-04-18 at 08:05 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Eyepatch flinches a bit when the warlock touches it. He considers what the half elf says for a while.

"I has no say in there. Boss calls the shots. He big bugbear, bosses goblins around." it says uneasily. "Isn't warlock gets power from demons? Yeemik says demons will eat your souls after they gives you magicks. But if no eat souls, I likes idea."

29. - Top - End - #59

After helping to free Tom, Hyram helps him to tie up the Goblins.

Looking over at the interrogation, he shudders, and then finds something else to do-- he quietly, carefully searches the goblins, living and dead, with a look of distaste plastered on his face.

Spoiler: Rolls...
    Show
    Tie:
    (1d20+3)[16]
    (1d20+3)[10]
    (1d20+3)[13]

Search:
    (1d20+7)[12]
    (1d20+7)[20]
    (1d20+7)[9]
    (1d20+7)[16]
    (1d20+7)[23]
    (1d20+7)[23]

If i only need to roll once, take the first...

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zuu is dumbfounded for a moment. Then a grin starts to spread across his boyish features as he wraps his arms around the goblin and walks out of earshot from the rest of the party.

Spoiler: Private Conversation with Fizxeez
    Show
    It looks like his instincts weren't wrong - this goblin had potential after all! "Well! Not only do you have an aptitude for remembering things, you have critical thinking as well. To think people say goblins are stupid," he praises the goblin.

The half-elf reconsiders his options for a moment, and decides to go with pure unadulterated truth.

"Warlocks get magicke from three types of beings: an Archfey, a Fiend, and Old Gods... very old gods. Archfey are not likely to eat souls - they like to cause mischief. As for Old Gods... you tend to go crazy after a while." He lets out a sigh. "Fiends and demons... Yeemik is not mistaken. Warlocks CAN get power from demons, and demons DO want something after they give you magic. Do they eat your souls? Maybe, if you are too weak to resist. I get power from a Fiend myself, but my soul is my own."

"For now," a voice chuckles in his mind.

"I can understand if you don't want to mess with Demons, so I propose an alternative plan. It sounds like you all don't like this bugbear bossing you around. We can take him down for you - just make sure all the other goblins don't try to help him. Then you can take over."

The goblin raises an eyebrow as to disbelieve him - he wasn't leadership material, but Zuu cuts him off.

"I was a member of Blood's Honor," he says. "You might have heard of us - gentlemen thieves who don't kill and take care of each other. Not only are we an all-inclusive organization, I know BH is looking to expand to the frontier. You can be the goblin liaison, which should give you quite a bit of power and prestige."

Looking the goblin in the eye, the warlock revises his offer. "Help us depose your boss, and I lift the curse and help you and yours get into Blood's Honor."
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2015-04-18 at 09:51 AM.
    Now Playing