New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Lost Mines of Phandelver [IC]

The goblin is starting to talk and spill important information that might be useful later. Zuu attempts to encourage it to continue by nodding sympathetically at the goblins' plight.

"I see. So you don't mind if we squash this Klarg, right? We can squash him gooder if you tell other goblins not to hurt us or the human prisoner. We promise not to hurt goblins too." The warlock looks around the party, wanting them to voice their affirmation. "Right everyone?"

The warlock purses up his lips, looking rather thoughtful. "How does Klarg fight? Alone and with weapons, or is he a spell caster?"
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2015-04-19 at 10:13 AM.
    Now Playing

Zarron Gemblossom (Half-Elf Bard): IC | OOC
    Zuu Greenbrook (Half-Elf Warlock 7): IC | OOC

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

"Right" says Tom when Zuu asks for confirmation. Other than that, he remains fairly quiet through their trek along the secret trail and lets Zuu and Fizxeez discuss the upcoming challenge against Klarg. He occasionally glances around to double-check that everyone's there, and he watches the forest, but he's mostly just passively following for the moment.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

In response to Zuu Anvorwulf simply grunts.
    He approaches the goblin and looks down at him with his arms crossed.
    "Listen here goblin, i am not going to lie I would love nothing more than to throw you down that hole we just passed but if you manage to get that bugbear out here, get the goblins to stand down and manage to free our friend you will have changed my mind about you. Do this and I will thank you personally and will spare your life but if you betray us I will single you out on the field of battle and test out a few new spells on you, do we have an agreement?"

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zergrinch View Post
    The goblin is starting to talk and spill important information that might be useful later. Zuu attempts to encourage it to continue by nodding sympathetically at the goblins' plight.

"I see. So you don't mind if we squash this Klarg, right? We can squash him gooder if you tell other goblins not to hurt us or the human prisoner. We promise not to hurt goblins too." The warlock looks around the party, wanting them to voice their affirmation. "Right everyone?"

The warlock purses up his lips, looking rather thoughtful. "How does Klarg fight? Alone and with weapons, or is he a spell caster?"
    "Klarg has big mace with spikes. He feeds bad goblins to Ripper. Ripper is big wolf, listens to Klarg only." Eyepatch think for a moment, as if considering something. "I no see any magics in home. Yeemik says he got magics, but I nevers see before."

It makes a face at Anvorwulf. "I agrees to help already! Scary warlock put hands on my head, casts bad spell on mes. I also cannots go and talk to Klarg, spell will kills me if I goes too far." it complains.
    Last edited by Vesth; 2015-04-19 at 10:32 AM.

5. - Top - End - #95

Lizardfolk

Anvorwulf frowns at Eyepatch.
    "If you aren't able to reach Klarg get this Yeemik character out here so we may speak to him instead".

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Fizxeez. Or One One-Eye. My spell will only activate if you are a mile away. That is quite far, about 4,000 steps for a goblin. Your camp can't be that big."
    Now Playing

7. - Top - End - #97

Hyram readily agrees to spare the goblins, and let them leave if they don't fight the party. Though he doesn't seem to put much hope in things actually turning out that way. But he's happy to seize any chance of less fighting and killing.
    Last edited by eleazzaar; 2015-04-19 at 11:13 AM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Banned

NecromancerGuy

Since the incident with the traps, Rangrim has stared incredulously at Zuu every time he opens his mouth. He just keeps thinking, "The goblin just knowingly tried to lead Perra into a trap and the question of whether we trust him is still an red-hot axe blade waiting to be shaped? This goblin is more fickle than the wind." The tail end of his thoughts comes out as a semi-audible muttering under his breath: "I put my trust in stone walls and solid ground. Not the fleeting musings of a hell-spawned, double-crossing coward. Moradin knows what's next for those who trust their fate to such."

Rangrim doesn't add his voice to the affirmations. He grits his teeth and keeps walking. He mutters under his breath some more. "Killing the bugbear will only give the goblin leader more courage. They'll kill us the second they think they have the upper hand."
    Last edited by BurgerBeast; 2015-04-19 at 11:33 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBeast View Post
    Since the incident with the traps, Rangrim has stared incredulously at Zuu every time he opens his mouth. He just keeps thinking, "The goblin just knowingly tried to lead Perra into a trap and the question of whether we trust him is still an red-hot axe blade waiting to be shaped? This goblin is more fickle than the wind." The tail end of his thoughts comes out as a semi-audible muttering under his breath: "I put my trust in stone walls and solid ground. Not the fleeting musings of a hell-spawned, double-crossing coward. Moradin knows what's next for those who trust their fate to such."

Rangrim doesn't add his voice to the affirmations. He grits his teeth and keeps walking. He mutters under his breath some more. "Killing the bugbear will only give the goblin leader more courage. They'll kill us the second they think they have the upper hand."
    Perra leans over at Rangrim's words, and whispers for his ears only.

Spoiler: Rangrim's Ears Only
    Show
    "Do not worry, companion. I bear no trust for this goblin, nor any. As I said, they all must be purged. We shall try to use diplomacy, but whether it works or not, that goblin leader will not survive the day. As the Order teaches, 'The purpose of a paladin is to ensure that justice is met, and that one day evil will have no foothold in this world.'"
    Some kind of word-witch. She/her. Find more of my stuff at my new website!

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Eyepatch leads the party the rest of the way, and you encounter no more traps. After travelling a total of 5 miles from the ambush site, you come across the entrance to a large cave in a hillside. A shallow stream flows out from the cave mouth, which is screened by dense briar thickets. The stream takes up most of the entrance, leaving a narrow dry path on the right hand of the stream.

"I goes in now, yes?" Eyepatch asks.

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zuu looks over at his companions. They don't seem to have any more questions.

"Go ahead, and see if you can bring this Yeemik leader of yours out to parlay. Remember, we won't harm any goblin that doesn't fight us, but we will defend ourselves if attacked."
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2015-04-19 at 05:59 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102

Perra looks to the party and says, "Be ready for betrayal. Weapons out, spells prepared, nerves steeled. Those in the back, look to the sides, in case they have goblins waiting to ambush us. The casters should move so that they're hidden, or at least partially concealed. Rangrim, you and I should go stand by the stream, the most noticeable targets. If the goblin leader does show up, we'll be the most intimidating to them. Keep your weapon pointed down though, we want to appear intimidating, not murderous. Any alternatives or suggestions?"

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Tom nods when Perra gives combat instruction and draws his shortsword. He pauses before heading to find a hiding place, though. "Shouldn't Zuu also stay in the open, since he's Fizxeez' uh... contact? Master? Handler?"

He dallies a bit while that is decided, then heads for a hiding spot nearby among the briars. Of course, while he'll don his cloak to protect against thorns, the fact of the briars will likely prevent his hiding place from being too well-covered. He'll try to find a place where the thicket recedes into a pocket or behind a protrusion of brambles, but will still only be crouched in the thicket's shadow either way.

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Move to the north thicket and hide stealth - (1d20+2)[4]

14. - Top - End - #104

Quote Originally Posted by Lordsmoothe View Post
    Tom nods when Perra gives combat instruction and draws his shortsword. He pauses before heading to find a hiding place, though. "Shouldn't Zuu also stay in the open, since he's Fizxeez' uh... contact? Master? Handler?"
    Perra nods. "If that is his wish, I have no objection."

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Eyepatch mutters to itself as it slowly wades across the stream, quickly disappearing into the cave mouth. Several tense seconds pass.

A loud goblin scream bursts from within the cave! In response to the scream, arrows start flying from the thickets on the other side of the stream!

Spoiler
    Show
    Surprise attack!
    Check for surprise: (1d20+6)[18]

Initiative:
    Goblins: (1d20+2)[11]
    Rangrim: (1d20+1)[21]
    Hyram: (1d20+3)[16]
    Anvorwulf: (1d20+2)[13]
    Zuu: (1d20+2)[8]
    Perra: (1d20+1)[11]
    Tom: (1d20+1)[2]

Three goblins are hiding in the thickets: Abusive, Broken-Nose and Blackeye. They have half cover.
    Last edited by Vesth; 2015-04-19 at 08:31 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

After the goblin has gone in, Zuu uses repeated applications of eldritch blast to flatten the briar patches surrounding the cave entrance. After he deems it suitably cut down to size, he carves out any errant brambles with his knife, and sits on it, his back against solid rock, cave entrance within easy reach.

Now comes the hard part - waiting. Will the goblin do what he asked, and will it succeed? Or will it simply warn everyone about them? Although he can't say for the rest of the party, he has every intention to follow through his promises should One One-Eye keep his. He cannot quite suppress the feeling that all this would be for naught, and the goblin will backstab them at its earliest possible convenience.

Oh god, this is what happens when you're on the same timezone with the DM.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2015-04-19 at 06:33 PM.
    Now Playing

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

"Kill them! Kill them!" Abusive screams, and the goblins fire on Perra, Rangrim and Tom!

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack on Perra: (1d20+4)[21]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[8]

Attack on Rangrim: (1d20+4)[15]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[6]

Attack on Tom: (1d20+4)[6]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[7]

Rangrim, Hyram, Anvorwulf, you may act!
    Last edited by Vesth; 2015-04-19 at 06:34 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108

Lizardfolk

Anvorwulf springs to action.
    "To the hells with you all!" he screams as he conjures up arcane fire from his hands.
    He lobs a mote of fire at the goblins hiding behind the thicket.
    His eyes turn red and seem to glow with magical energy and all of his veins seem to cast a glow that is visible through his skin.

Spoiler: Attack Roll
    Show
    "Anvorwulf will cast Firebolt at Blackeye behind the thicket. He will be using his Tides of Chaos class feature (the glowing eyes thing) to gain advantage on the attack. However the goblins are behind cover and that will impose disadvantage. The two cancel each other out thus making it a normal roll.
    (1d20+5)[18]
    On a hit Blackeye will take (1d10)[1] fire damage.
    Also remember that fire bolt ignites flammable objects so even on a miss it could still set the thicket alite (DM's descretion)

19. - Top - End - #109

Lizardfolk

After casting his spell Anvorwulf rushes to take cover behind the nearest, suitable tree.

Spoiler: DM
    Show
    If possible I would like to be atleast 25ft away from the closest party member.......I think you know why

20. - Top - End - #110

Lizardfolk

Anvorwulf cringes as he dives behind a nearby tree. His whole body feels like it has pins and needles. His blood seems to boil. The glow of his veins and eyes intensifies until finally it subsides and he returns to normal. He opens his eyes and starts counting his limbs.
    "One arm, two arm, one leg, two leg, head.
    He puts his hand on his face and feel something is wrong. He has magically sprouted a beard made of feathers.
    "Dammit not this one again. I swear to Tempus if any of you laugh I will find out away to turn you into a house cat!"

21. - Top - End - #111

Desperately Hyram runs to the thicket on their side of the stream, diving into the best cover he can find. Pulling back his bow, he scans the opposite thicket for some sign of a goblin.

Spoiler: The readied attack...
    Show
    He is reading his action to loose an arrow at the first goblin he sees. For when that happens:

Short bow: (1d20+5)[17]

Damage: (1d6+3)[4]

Yeah, i know he's not hiding, so no sneak attack, unless something unforeseen gives advantage.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Banned

NecromancerGuy

Rangrim's training kicks in quickly and he quickly decides that crossing the river is probably exactly what the enemy is hoping for. He quickly heads directly north for the cover of the trees, where he plants himself, draws his bow, and fires across the river at the first or closest goblin he sees.

Show
    Move: 25 feet directly north
    Free: draw longbow while moving (this is the weapon he would have already drawn, when Perra told the party to be ready, but if DM rules otherwise he'll draw it now)
    Attack: (closest enemy across the river) Longbow (1d20+3)[15] damage (1d8+1)[7]

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

While Anvorwulf barely burns Blackeye, Hyram seriously injures Abusive and Rangrim outright kills Broken-Nose.

Abusive slaps Blackeye upside the head and screams at it in goblin, and they both fire another round of arrows. It seems like Abusive's "motivation" worked, and as Abusive's arrow knocks out the archer who killed their friend, Blackeye's arrow was a bullseye shot, and struck deeply into Zuu's gut.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack Zuu: (1d20+4)[24]
    Damage Roll: (1d6+2)[6]
    Total damage: 7

Attack Rangrim: (1d20+2)[22]
    Damage Roll: (1d6+2)[8]
    Total damage: 12

Everyone may act!
    Last edited by Vesth; 2015-04-20 at 12:14 AM.

24. - Top - End - #114

Perra charges across the river, planting her feet firmly halfway between it and the goblins, and opens her mouth, exposing sharp teeth and a gaping maw. She shouts, "By fire be purged!" and unleashes a gout of flame.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Move: 10 feet to cross the river in difficult terrain, 10 feet forward from it so that I'm in range of my breath weapon.
    Action: Breath Weapon time! 15 foot cone, fire damage. Dexterity saving throw, DC 11, save for half.
    Damage: (2d6)[8]

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

"Awk!" squawks Tom when the arrow barely misses him, and he stumbles back onto his butt as combat erupts around him. When he manages to get his head around what's happening and get back to his feet, his companions are all loosing arrows and fire at the bushes across the river. Being an observant fellow, Tom follows the signs to the enemies' locations.

He takes a moment to take stock of the situation, but as he does so the goblins loose another volley and the battle takes a turn for the dire. Tom's eyes widen. He almost freezes, but then his feet are launching him toward the fighting. He's running toward the river. As the goblins in their hiding places draw near, Tom realizes he has a weapon in each hand. At the last moment, he gets a grip on himself and stops just short of the river.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Move to this side of the river without crossing it.
    Drawing a dagger in my offhand.
    Casting Vicious Mockery at Blackeye.
    Blackeye needs to make a DC 13 wisdom save - (1d20)[3]
    On a failure, he takes psychic damage - (1d4)[4] and has disadvantage on his next attack.

Attacks cancelled on account of forest fire.
    Last edited by Townopolis; 2015-04-20 at 12:55 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Perra steps forward, and a great gout of flame bursts from her mouth, rolling over the poor goblins. Even as they screamed in agony, the thicket bursts into fire around them, and what was once their protection now became their prison, as they got stuck on branches and thorns, unable to escape.

When the fire subsides, all that's left are three burnt bodies, and the smell of charred flesh.

Spoiler
    Show
    Blackeye save: (1d20+2)[8]
    Abusive save: (1d20+2)[12]

The thickets burst into flame!
    Blackeye and Abusive take (1d6)[1] damage

Tom's move has been cancelled. No use attacking dead bodies
    Last edited by Vesth; 2015-04-20 at 12:53 AM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Banned

NecromancerGuy

Rangrim is struck with an arrow with enough force to kill any of his allies, nearly knocking him off of his feet. He looks down at the arrow that is sunk deep in his flesh, gritting his teeth. The memory of his favourite brother, Lothor, springs into his mind… "you're a Cinderglass, lad. It'll take a lot more than that to stop you." He sets his jaw in sheer determination and fights on.

Show
    Bonus: Second Wind (recover (1d0+1)[2] hp) (blown roll; re-rolled OOC for 10 hp)
    Attack: (nearest goblin, assuming there still is one) Longbow (1d20+3)[20] damage (1d8+1)[8]
    Move: he creeps deep enough into the trees/thicket to gain cover
    Last edited by BurgerBeast; 2015-04-20 at 01:10 AM.

28. - Top - End - #118

Perra examines the corpses for a moment, then calls out to Zuu, "Your pet seems to have failed, or betrayed us. If he was slain in our name, I shall give him what little honor he deserves, but if he has betrayed us, he shall be purged like they were."

She surveys the party, and says, "If anyone needs healing, speak up. I can provide some."

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Tom takes a moment to catch his breath and regain his bearings after the sprint to the river. Then the stench of charred meat washes over him; he takes two staggering steps, doubles over, and vomits right into the mud.

When he's finished and able to speak again he manages a weak "I think we could all do with a breather, take some time to regroup, hmm?" and then he retches again.

30. - Top - End - #120

Lizardfolk

Anvorwulf steps out out from behind his tree and approaches the party. He has feathers of many different colours coming out of his face.
    "Don't ask" he says flatly.
    If any party member attempts to ask what happened he grumbles "Don't ask" again and gives them a dirty look.