New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Lost Mines of Phandelver [IC]

Perra warily looks to the cave, and asks, "Does anyone need healing, before we advance? Rangrim and I shall go first, but I'd prefer it if you were all healed anyways."
    Some kind of word-witch. She/her. Find more of my stuff at my new website!

2. - Top - End - #152

Lizardfolk

Anvorwulf holds his staff up high so he can illuminate all of the darkness without his compainions casting shadows in front of him.

When the party all step into the cave mouth he stands at the back ready to blast anything that emerges from the darkness with a gout of fire.
    Last edited by Lank; 2015-04-20 at 09:18 PM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

You step into the cave, and the light filtering in from outside combined with Anvorwulf's magical light illuminates the tunnel as it continues north, with the stream disappearing into the darkness ahead. There is a small rocky path on its right, the only way forward without stepping on water. On the east side of the tunnel is a few uneven stone steps leading into a side passage.

As well as a goblin who fires an arrow at the sorcerer with the light before disappearing into the side passage, cackling all the way.

Spoiler
    Show
    Traitorous Scum Attacks Anvorwulf (advantage)
    (1d20+4)[14]
    (1d20+4)[8]

Damage: (1d6+2)[6]

4. - Top - End - #154

"No, No NO! Wait!" Hyram suddenly hisses through clenched teeth.

"That goblins wants us to charge in there. He's taunting us. That means there are traps!"

He then takes a big breath, swallows and speaks in a soft voice, "Um, unless somebody else has keener eyes, I'll go up near the front and look out for traps..."

5. - Top - End - #155

Perra, having been forcibly shoved inside the cave by the rest of the party, nods. "Scout ahead, look for traps, take Rangrim to protect you. I'll see about healing the sorcerer."

Perra lays a hand on Anvorwulf, and light diffuses across the sorcerer, healing his wounds.

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Spending my whole pool, all 5 hit points.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

This is getting ridiculous. This goblin is a crafty one, Zuu will give him that. Whispering over to the Paladin, he says, "This is getting us nowhere. The goblin attacks from the shadows, and we're sitting ducks thanks to that light. Can we somehow put that glowing spell on a crossbow bolt and just shoot the bolt at it?"

The warlock detaches himself from the party, and goes with the gnome to the side passage. He ducks behind the wall, watches, and waits.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+3)[8] and Stealth: (1d20+5)[15]

Action: Dodge.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2015-04-20 at 10:16 PM.
    Now Playing

Zarron Gemblossom (Half-Elf Bard): IC | OOC
    Zuu Greenbrook (Half-Elf Warlock 7): IC | OOC

7. - Top - End - #157

Hyram smiles a sickly smile. "I'm not in a big hurry. We'll wait for everyone."

Spoiler: roll...
    Show
    Investigating for traps, when we actually move...

(1d20+7)[26]

8. - Top - End - #158

Lizardfolk

The arrow flies at Anvorwulf and completly pierces him in the shoulder and exits through the back of his shoulder. He clutches his bleeding shoulder and cringes.
    "Lousy, good for nothing wretches!" He booms.
    With Perra's healing, the wound closes up. It still bleeds a little and will likely leave a scar but Anvorwul doesn't care.
    He dismisses his light spell fully aware that it is making him a target.
    I have had it, I have had it, I HAVE HAD IT WITH GOBLINS!" He screams as he launches a fire bolt in the direction that the arrow came from.

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Out of anger Anvorwulf casts fire bolt in the direction that the arrow came from. He may have disadvantage so there will be two rolls.
    (1d20+5)[18]
    (1d20+5)[6]
    (1d10)[2] for damage upon a hit.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The Warlock beckons at the angry Featherbeard, extends a light crossbow bolt to the sorcerer, and hisses, "Light this up."

After which, he whirls around and sends the illuminated bolt flying into the side passage.

He then speaks in a hushed tone: "With the light extinguished, the only thing the goblin can use to track us is sound. Is anyone here capable of conjuring up an illusory sound so we can lure it out?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I just plan to embed the bolt in the cave wall to provide lighting, so no attack roll is needed, right? But just in case...
    Crossbow bolt: [roll]1d20+4[/roll, Damage: (1d8+2)[9] piercing and possible (1d8)[7] crit.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2015-04-20 at 10:57 PM.
    Now Playing

10. - Top - End - #160

Lizardfolk

Anvorwulf casts Light on the crossbow bolt. He is obviously furious at the goblin.
    "I swear to Tempus when I find you goblin I will rip off your arms and make you eat them!".
    Anvorwulf is bright red in the face. At this stage it looks like only the darkness is the only reason he isn't charging in there to tear the goblin to shreds with his bare hands.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Banned

NecromancerGuy

Rangrim looks to Anvorwulf, disgusted. "Get a grip, you fool. If you want to get yourself killed, that's your business, but I'll have your head before I let you get us all killed. Calm heads prevail where angrier heads get impaled."

He then addresses the group: "If this lecherous rogue wants to play coy, why don't we let our rogue at him? Beat him at his own game. I can follow at a distance. We won't need any light. What say you, Hyram? Will you do this?"
    Last edited by BurgerBeast; 2015-04-20 at 11:29 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

The arrow reveals a small chamber, circular in shape. Other than an iron rod stuck in the centre of the room, the only other thing of notice is the rubbish lining the walls, most of which forms a huge pile stacked against the eastern wall. From the flickering light, those peeking in would see the goblin scrambling up the rubbish pile, and squeezing through a small opening above.

A moment later, you hear a sickening sound of something hard hitting something soft, and the now dead goblin flops back through the hole and tumbles to the bottom, its face smashed in and full of holes.

You hear a brief curse emanating from the hole.

Spoiler
    Show
    The opening is 30 feet from the base of the rubbish pile. Attempting to ascend or descend the pile needs a DC 10 Strength (Atheletics) check. If you succeed, you may move up and down the pile at half speed. On a roll of 6-9, you don't move, and on a roll of 5 or less, take 1d6 bludgeoning damage per 10 feet fallen, and fall to the base of the pile.

That is, if you want to scale the rubbish pile in the first place

13. - Top - End - #163
    Banned

NecromancerGuy

"Well, I guess that problem is solved. Keep your wits, Anvorwulf. Do your father proud." Rangrim eyes the feathered beard warily. Magic is uncertain enough with capable casters. In the hands of a buffoon? What's next? Hand out battle-axes to children, just to see what might happen?

The bard brought up Rangrim's reputation earlier. The truth of that is a farce, but among this group Rangrim just might live up to his reputation. What a story that would make. Rangrim the hero… Rangrim the puky pants sh**ter, more like. The revelation suddenly hits him and he barely fights off a laugh: "Ha! By Moradin! I may have finally found my rightful place! The gods are surely laughing today."

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zuu tiptoes into the garbage cave, and drags the zombie's corpse away from the opening. He looks at the creature's face, and tries to ascertain what killed it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Investigation: (1d20-1)[17]

After which, he loots the body and gives it a good kick. "That's what you get for murdering One One-Eye, you filthy wretch!" he shouts at the corpse.
    Now Playing

15. - Top - End - #165

Lizardfolk

Rangrim's word settle Anvorwulf. He finally realised that the goblin was trying to make him lose his cool so he would do something stupid.
    Hearing the demise of the goblin brings a smile to his face.
    "Thank you Rangrim, I was about to lose myself".
    When the party reaches the rubbish pile Anvorwulf eyes the hole at the top.
    He seems a lot calmer than he was just moments ago.
    "Well I should be thanking that scum goblin if anything, it could have easily been one us getting their head bashed in if we climbed up there first".
    Anvorwulf looks at Zuu.
    "Retrieve the glowing bolt and shoot it into that opening, I want to see what is up there without paying the price of my head. Maybe if you're lucky you might hit one of the dregs".

16. - Top - End - #166

Perra looks to the heap, and says, "We should post a watch here, and have everyone else try to find an alternate route. That heap looks too dangerous, but we know that some goblins are there. I don't want to leave them free to exit their hidey-hole, but I don't want to scale that thing either."

Perra then quietly sighs and says, "Unless of course, the party would once more be opposed to dividing up our resources? I admit that I underestimated the goblins last time, but this time we know better what we are facing."

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Starting with the wolves chasing Zuu out of the cave, Tom has become a bit tense, and this hasn't let up while the party explores the cavern. He doesn't even laugh when the bothersome skulker gets killed by his own trap. Rather, he stays near the middle of the group, sword in hand and his mouth slightly ajar in a mildly gormless expression as they push onward.

When they reach the garbage room, the iron rod catches Tom's attention, and he hisses an abortive "wait" as Zuu heads into the room. For a moment, Tom is even more tense, but he returns to his new normal when nothing immediately bad happens to Zuu. In fact, he follows the warlock in and takes a closer look at this out-of-place rod.

Spoiler: Action
    Show

Enter the room and perform a visual examination of the rod
    investigation - (1d20+4)[20]

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

For Zuu
    Spoiler
    Show
    You ascertain that its face met the business end of a morningstar. You also ascertain that it had a potion of healing stashed in its tunic.

For Tom
    Spoiler
    Show
    Judging by the numerous scruff marks and the occasional bite mark, you make an educated guess that this was probably where the wolves were chained to.
    Last edited by Vesth; 2015-04-21 at 12:06 AM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The warlock stashes the potion in a pocket somewhere, and joins his fellow half-elf compatriot in studying the rod.

Looking at it intently, he tries to determine how easy would it be to pry it out and then carry it. Although Zuu is no dungeon delver, he's heard praises sung about ten-foot poles by adventuring-minded thieves in Blood's Honor. Surely a pole made of iron would be even more useful.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20-1)[15] Investigation

"We should post a watch here, and have everyone else try to find an alternate route. That heap looks too dangerous, but we know that some goblins are there. I don't want to leave them free to exit their hidey-hole, but I don't want to scale that thing either. Unless of course, the party would once more be opposed to dividing up our resources? I admit that I underestimated the goblins last time, but this time we know better what we are facing."

"No, we don't split up. But we should investigate this. The traitorous scum was killed not by a trap, but by a morningstar. Question is, why would the goblins kill their own?" he replies as he tries to yank the rod out of the ground.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2015-04-21 at 12:17 AM.
    Now Playing

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Tom clucks his tongue and nods after his visual examination of the pole. "Hitching post for the wolves" he explains.

He then casts his gaze about at the garbage piles and hole in the wall--no more than a cursory glance, really. He does not appear to like what he sees; a frown etches itself into his features. He moves to a place where he can look at the entrance of the hole without anyone deeper in getting a look at him and studies it a bit further, his glance occasionally falls back onto the nearby rubbish.

"We may be able to plug this hole with the refuse. Otherwise... I would be especially careful exploring this bolt-hole. Not only might there be snares, but I wouldn't bet against a goblin further in with a pike and a long, narrow passage to...." Zuu's revelation interrupts Tom's train of thought.

"Oh. A morning star?" he peers at the dead goblin for a bit. "A morning star did that? Sounds like someone is waiting in a room on the other side, just swinging at whoever comes through this hole."

Spoiler: Further Actions
    Show
    Whenever it's appropriate for me to be making more checks:
    Trying to determine how feasible it would be to plug the hole investigation - (1d20+4)[22]
    If someone does decide to explore the hole, Tom will provide them a Bardic Inspiration die.
    Last edited by Townopolis; 2015-04-21 at 12:21 AM.

21. - Top - End - #171

Quote Originally Posted by Zergrinch View Post
    "No, we don't split up. But we should investigate this. The traitorous scum was killed not by a trap, but by a morningstar. Question is, why would the goblins kill their own?" he replies as he tries to yank the rod out of the ground.
    "And why, pray tell, are you against splitting up this time?"

22. - Top - End - #172
    Banned

NecromancerGuy

"I thought I heard cursing after this one died." He points with his left hand as his right balances his maul over his shoulder. "Is it possible it was a trap that killed the goblin, and that's why they were upset? I've seen the like: A spiked ball attached to a chain, that drops down from the ceiling. Nasty bit of business."

He looks at Perra, "I've had forty years of reminders, from a military family, and in my training as a soldier, that dividing one's forces is never a good idea. Don't get me wrong, this is no battlefield and we are not a squadron, I can see that. But I'll always hear the voices of my father and my brothers telling me 'Never divide your forces, lad.' I reckon there's strength in numbers in either case."
    Last edited by BurgerBeast; 2015-04-21 at 12:36 AM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"And why, pray tell, are you against splitting up this time?"

"This time? I've never been an advocate for splitting up, my Lady. Especially now. Our quarry is on their home ground. We have the terrain disadvantage. Splitting up will simply make us easier targets." (OOC: Zuu was talking with Eyepatch when you were having that discussion earlier and he did not participate in it.)

"I thought I heard cursing after this one died. Is it possible it was a trap that killed the goblin, and that's why they were upset? I've seen the like: A spiked ball attached to a chain, that drops down form the ceiling."

The warlock looks thoughtful. "I suppose that is possible to have a spiked ball trap, but the holes in the goblin's face tell me he was looking straight at the morningstar. It's far more likely to have been wielded by another creature."

Zuu lets out one last tug to get the pole out of the hole. "Huuuuuurrrrrrghhhhh."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Strength/Athletics check to pry out the bar: (1d20)[18]

On a whim, the warlock takes out a gold coin, asks the sorcerer to light it up, and tosses it towards the hole in the ceiling.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2015-04-21 at 12:48 AM.
    Now Playing

24. - Top - End - #174

Lizardfolk

"Save your gold Zuu, just use the same crossbow bolt that we used before so that way I won't have to use anymore moss...This stuff doesn't grow on trees you know". Anvorwulf lets out a small chuckle at his moss joke despite the fact that it was pretty lame.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

It was an excellent attempt, but try as he might, Zuu could not pull out the rod. It was, after all, able to restrain 3 strong wolves. Whoever had placed it there clearly had more strength than a goblin, and it would take more than bare hands to pull it out.

Spoiler
    Show
    That, or a natural 20 roll on your strength check.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Save your gold Zuu, just use the same crossbow bolt that we used before so that way I won't have to use anymore moss...This stuff doesn't grow on trees you know".

"
    Sorry, can't do it. The bolt's wedged in pretty tight. Of course, a copper piece would work as well as a gold piece, if you would care to lend one to me?"
    Now Playing

27. - Top - End - #177

Lizardfolk

"Funny you should mention that Zuu, I am flat broke. I haven't got a copper piece to my name".
    Anvorwulf picks up a particulary sharp piece of rubbish up from the pile, rubs some moss on it, utters a few words and passes the now shining bit of rubbish to Zuu.
    "Perhaps this will do, my friend".

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zuu thanks Featherbeard for the spell. He pockets the shining piece of trash, and with a smooth fluid motion, ascends the trash pile like an acrobat. Before he sticks his head through the hole, he tosses in the shiny object hoping to temporarily blind any creature wielding any morningstars.

He then swiftly but cautiously sticks his head through the hole, ready to withdraw it at a moment's notice.

Spoiler
    Show
    Strength Check: (1d20)[17]
    Move: Climb up
    Item Interaction: Throw object
    Action: Dodge.

I have my gold coin back - it has never been made glowy, and therefore is still in my pouch.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2015-04-21 at 02:24 AM.
    Now Playing

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

For Zuu
    Spoiler
    Show
    You peek your head through...and from what you can see your vantage point in the west end of the room, sacks and crates of looted provisions are piled up in the south end of the cave and steps lead north to another area. An unconscious or sleeping goblin lies at the east end of the room, his back towards you. The center of the room is occupied by the remains of a large fire. From behind you, two rough hands grab you with almost supernatural strength and pulls you through the hole, tossing you near the fire pit.

When you get to your feet, you realize you are surrounded. There are two goblins to your north, blocking the way to an unknown area. There is a large wolf between you and the sleeping goblin to the east. There is a dead end to the south. To the west is another goblin...and a large bugbear wielding a morningstar dripping with blood. The bugbear crouches besides the hole you entered through and grins at you.

"Ain't no goblin this time. Klarg commands you to kill him!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Klarg: Ready Action: Attack whoever gets within 5 foot of him. He is 5 foot from the hole.
    Both the hole and the north exit are 15 feet away. The goblins and wolf are ten feet away. Klarg is 20 feet away, just on the other side of the hole.

Initiative:
    Zuu's Turn
    All the monster's turn

For Everyone Else
    Spoiler
    Show
    You see Zuu poke his head through the hole...and the rest of his body follow suit. There's a brief murmur of sound, as if someone is talking.

Tom
    Spoiler
    Show
    Plugging the hole would be a bit difficult...but as you are pondering that question, something comes to your mind. Judging by how the rubbish is stacked, the opening leads to another room above. And in a cave system like this, the only rooms that'll have it's own personal rubbish chute has got to be the most important rooms.
    Last edited by Vesth; 2015-04-21 at 05:31 AM.

30. - Top - End - #180

Quote Originally Posted by Malexia View Post
    "If this lecherous rogue wants to play coy, why don't we let our rogue at him? Beat him at his own game. I can follow at a distance. We won't need any light. What say you, Hyram? Will you do this?"
    "Whose a rogue?" Hyram asks sharply with suspicion, looking over the rest of the party.

"If one of you is a rogue, why am I looking for traps?"

Then later as Zuu disappears into a hole, "Didn't he just say he always said we shouldn't split up?"
    Last edited by eleazzaar; 2015-04-21 at 08:34 AM.