New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Lost Mines of Phandelver [IC]

"Also," mentions Tom after the water recedes, "don't you have Fizxeez' eyepatch in your pocket?"

Then he pokes his head around the corner to see if anything else is coming down the river tunnel.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

Watching the flood rush by with wide eyes, Hyram is silent for several moments after the water recedes, and being heard is again possible.

"I, I almost though I should try to be brave, and not run away. I mean I did think that-- but i couldn't." A choking laugh escapes. "I don't suppose they can do that again? It must take time to build up that much water."

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

After his mad dash to the garbage room, Zuu takes a deep breath.

Big mistake. The garbage fire by now has turned into a fiery conflagration, sending ugly puffs of smoke up the refuse chute into the bugbear's room.

Choking on the smoke, the warlock stumbles his way out of the godforsaken cave. After a bout of coughing, he takes several deep breaths of fresh air to refill his poor lungs.

"Also,don't you have Fizxeez' eyepatch in your pocket?"

In response, the warlock simply shows him the discarded eyepatch he picked up. His fury grows at the attempted impersonation of the goblin he blackmailed.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2015-04-22 at 07:20 PM.
    Now Playing

Zarron Gemblossom (Half-Elf Bard): IC | OOC
    Zuu Greenbrook (Half-Elf Warlock 7): IC | OOC

4. - Top - End - #244

"If they are impersonating your eye-patched goblin, that means he told them about us."
    Hyram speaks up. "But i don't know if it matters, I can't think what else useful he might have told them that the tree-chopper couldn't have.

Then he gestures back to the passage. Hyram speaks in a voice less timid than you have heard before: "Once more into the breach dear friends?" They surprised us again-- but this time we escaped their trap unharmed!
    Last edited by eleazzaar; 2015-04-22 at 07:33 PM.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hear hear!" declares Tom and leads the way back down the passage...

... at least until Rangrim and Perra join him. The bard may be eager, but he knows his place isn't really in the vanguard. Once everyone's moving, he'll find his place near the middle of the group again. This time, though, he isn't paying as much attention to the passage; he's keeping his head down and muttering to himself "Flooding the tunnels, that's been done before... dwarves, I think, or kobolds... where have I..."

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    While heading out, Tom will be attempting to recall a piece of relevant or insightful lore from the stories he's learned. See OOC thread.
    Last edited by Townopolis; 2015-04-22 at 07:34 PM.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

After taking a few more gulps of sweet, fresh air, the warlock heads back with the rest of the party. He will be bringing up the rear. Angrily muttering about cowardly impersonating goblins, he readies his eldritch blast to fling at the first goblin unfortunate enough to cross his path.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ready Action: Eldritch Blast the first goblin he sees that is not lying in the ground or in good cover. 1d20+5 ranged spell attack, 1d10 force damage
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2015-04-22 at 07:40 PM.
    Now Playing

7. - Top - End - #247

Perra waits for everyone to get moving before joining the party in the back, watching the sides.
    Some kind of word-witch. She/her. Find more of my stuff at my new website!

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

You return to the same spot, passing by some twisted bits of metal on your way there. The bridge and the surrounding areas are the same, except this time, the goblin isn't there anymore.

There is a side passage to the west, the steps leading in worn by the waves. The main tunnel continues north, disappearing into the gloom.

For Tom
    Spoiler
    Show
    How did that story go again? Your mentor taught it to you, soon after she met you.

"There lived a crooked man
    Who lived in a crooked house.
    He wanted more crooked things,
    So he robbed a crooked witch's house!

He climbed her crooked cave
    And got washed away by crooked waves.
    Bless his crooked little heart
    He tried and got washed off his crooked feet again!"

The moral of the story - don't rob, don't steal, don't intrude into people's property, don't do bad things - probably doesn't apply here.
    Last edited by Vesth; 2015-04-22 at 08:19 PM.

9. - Top - End - #249

Hyram looks around with a thoughtful expression. Then he points to the main tunnel, and the bridge overhead.

"If I haven't been confused by these tunnels, one of those should lead to the room with the Bugbear-- Klarg, I think"

Then he points to the passage on the west.

"We should probably see what's down there first, we might get lucky and find the prisoners. If not at least we won't be leaving any unpleasant surprises lurking behind our back."

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

As they near the bridge again, Tom returns to reality. "If it's a mechanical trap, yes, it probably takes a while to build up the water. If it's magical, though, it could already have reset, and we have heard they have a spellcaster. I wouldn't discount his ability just yet." He looks around and fixates on the west passage.

"Water probably came from up ahead, let's see..." and he heads a bit further down the main passage, examining the walls to see if they are wet, and how far up they remain wet. There'll be a little spray from the stream, of course, but that flood would have definitely raised the watermark... he thinks. He doesn't go too far, no more than ten feet past the west side-passage before heading back.

When he returns, he'll start to cross the stream, heading to the west side-passage. After reaching the other side, he will continue examining the walls to see if they are wet and how far in the glisten of moisture persists. "Be ready to move if that rumbling starts again" he remarks during this.

Show

Trying to determine which direction the flood came from.
    Investigation - (1d20+4)[24]

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

For Tom
    Spoiler
    Show
    You're pretty sure that the flood came from the main tunnel ahead, and judging by the smell of the water and faint roaring sound ahead, you suspect that there's a waterfall of some sort in that direction.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

"This way, I think" says Tom from down the western side-passage. "Judging by that bridge, I wouldn't be surprised if this loops back, but if it doesn't..." he trails off and turns to look further down the side passage, lingering just long enough to make sure everyone gets across the stream safely before pressing onward.

Show
    I think Tom's already crossed the stream, which would imply that it doesn't require a check to cross. If it does, Tom will use the help action to assist anyone across. If Tom needs to make a check, let me know.

Also, just want to make sure that the side passage walls do become dry after a while.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Banned

NecromancerGuy

Rangrim follows.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zuu studies the western passage intently by peering into the passage, and tries to ascertain where it might lead (does it loop upwards to the upper western passage?)

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+3)[15]
    Investigation: (1d20-1)[17]
    Now Playing

15. - Top - End - #255

Lizardfolk

After narrowly avoiding a watery death Anvorwulf starts to laughs.
    "I guess they thought we needed to....cool off".

Anvorwulf follows the party up the main passage. His eyes and veins still glow red.

Spoiler: Tides of Chaos
    Show
    He will have advantage on his next attack roll, skill roll or saving throw. Whatever happens first.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

For Zuu
    Spoiler
    Show
    From what you can tell, both passages are connected somehow. You can also hear some scuffling sounds from the side passage.

The stairs leading in to the side passage looks a bit unstable due to the flood, and you suspect that it will break if too much weight is put on it.
    Last edited by Vesth; 2015-04-23 at 01:56 AM.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Sounds of scuffling? The paranoid half elf quickly fires off several Eldritch Blasts into the tunnel.

Spoiler
    Show
    If ever applicable, roll for me. 1d20+5, 1d10 Force damage.
    Now Playing

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

The arcane bolts of energy echoes through the tunnel, but since the side passage curves, you probably didn't hit anything.

For Zuu
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can't hear any more scuffling
    Last edited by Vesth; 2015-04-23 at 01:59 AM.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Make illusory sound of footsteps," the Warlock whispers to the Arcane Trickster. Simultaneously, he points to the upper western entrance and makes a climbing gesture.

The warlock then hollers into the entrance: "WE GOT THE BASTARDS ON THE RUN! ADVANCE! ADVANCE!"

The warlock sends a few more Eldritch Blasts into the cavern, targeting the unstable steps which he is more than certain are trapped.

The warlock has had it with the goblins, and it shows.

OOC: Need to put to a vote first.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2015-04-23 at 05:03 AM.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

"Wait" protests Tom as Zuu begins to fire blindly down the hallway, but it's too late. When there's a pause in the fusillade, Tom opens his mouth to protest more, but it quickly becomes clear that the mage has a plan... The bard still isn't sure about it. "Why are we climbing and not..." hisses Tom, and he points toward the hallway he wants to head down.

Once Zuu explains his suspicions in one way or another, or at least once it becomes clear that the party is heading up, Tom resigns himself to assisting the maneuver. He points toward Rangrim, grabs rope from whoever actually brought rope, hands said rope to the dwarf, and prepares to give him a boost up. "Once you're up, you'll need to toss one end of the rope down and hold on tight while the rest of us climb up--you're the anchor" he says sotto voce. Tom also tries to get Perra to assist in said boosting, as he himself isn't the strongest man ever.

Whoever goes up first, Tom tries to make sure they go up with rope and have a strong warrior-type ready to catch them should they fall. "If this works," he mutters, "nobody'll believe I didn't make it up."

Show

Assuming we go with Zuu's plan, the first climber is getting a Bardic Inspiration die. It's a d6 you can use to boost one d20 roll after seeing the result.
    Using the help action to grant advantage on the first athletics roll, then seeing if I can use it again to grant advantage on whatever roll is made to reduce fall damage in the case of a fall.
    Last edited by Townopolis; 2015-04-23 at 10:07 AM.

21. - Top - End - #261

"Climbing up there looks dangerous," Hyram says doubtfully, pointing to the bridge.
    "And whoever got up there first would be alone, and might be attacked while the rest of us couldn't help. I think we need to stick together."
    Last edited by eleazzaar; 2015-04-23 at 06:07 AM.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

"Wait!" protests Tom as Zuu starts firing bolts down the west passage, but it's too late. When there's a break in the fusillade, the bard beckons everyone close for a quick huddle.

"So it looks like we have a choice ahead of us. Which way do we go? I'm thinking that passage," he says and points to the lower west passage, "but what do you think... and why are you blasting down it, Zuu, did you hear something?" Tom continues asking questions and positing solutions until the party has a plan.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Just making a post to represent some of the planning happening in the OOC thread.

Based on her statements, I expect Perra would be keeping watch during this.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"There is something over there - I heard sounds of movement. And look at those steps - they look like they're ready to break if you as much as step on them! Want to wager those aren't trapped?" the warlock hisses. He looks suspiciously into the hole, ready to fling more Eldritch Blasts.

Spoiler
    Show
    Until I post again, Zuu will ready action to Eldritch Blast the first enemy he sees.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2015-04-23 at 07:23 PM.
    Now Playing

24. - Top - End - #264

Quote Originally Posted by Zergrinch View Post
    "There is something over there - I heard sounds of movement. And look at those steps - they look like they're ready to break if you as much as step on them! Want to wager those aren't trapped?" the warlock hisses. He looks suspiciously into the hole, ready to fling more Eldritch Blasts.
    "More Traps!" exclaims Hyram. Then he shuffles his feet as if having some kind of internal debate, and suddenly blurts out,

"I can probably take care of that-- a locksmith understands mechanical things."

Before he carefully creeps forward he whispers, "Cover me..."

Spoiler: Brave or Foolish Action?
    Show
    If anyone says, "Wait, stop", or whatever before the DM resolves this, Hyram will abort.
    But if this is trapped, it is time for Hyram to earn his keep.

Quietly moving forward: (1d20+5)[19]

Looking for traps on the steps: (1d20+7)[13]

Disarming Trap (Assuming thieve's tools are based on Dex) (1d20+5)[23]

He's not going to go out of sight of the party...
    Last edited by eleazzaar; 2015-04-23 at 07:13 PM.

25. - Top - End - #265

Lizardfolk

"Gnomes weight less than goblins. If Hyram goes up first to check for traps I doubt he will set them off. The next lightest person could attempt to walk up there holding a rope. They would the hold the rope up high. The rest of us can then hold the other end high as well. With that the rest of us could walk up there and hold on to the rope so less weight is applied to the stairs".
    Anvorwulf ponders a bit more.
    "If Hyram runs into trouble, Zuu snd I will blast them with magic".

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

For Hyram
    Spoiler
    Show
    As far as you can tell, the stairs aren't actually trapped by goblins. The stairs have simply been weakened by the flood, and will collapse if too much weight is put on it.

It's not something thieves tools can simply fix.

You can tell that it probably won't collapse under your weight though...maybe not under any one person's specific weight.

27. - Top - End - #267

Hyram sneaks back to the group. He's breathing heavily, but there's a proud look on his face.

"I can't find any sign of a trap. They are just flimsy. They should hold someone light, like me fine. I think they would even hold Perra, as long as only one person is standing on one step at any given moment."
    Last edited by eleazzaar; 2015-04-23 at 07:31 PM.

28. - Top - End - #268

Spoiler: Quiet return...
    Show

forgot to include:(1d20+5)[12]

29. - Top - End - #269
    Banned

NecromancerGuy

(OOC: this action is pending approval of the group)

Rangrim grits his teeth. "Well, I suppose we've got to go sometime. Now seems as good a time as any."

He draws his longbow, nocks and arrow, squats down low, on the alert, and begins to climb the stairs, treading slowly and with purpose, weighing each step and surveying his surroundings carefully.

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Move: up the stairway
    Perception: use a previous roll, I think
    On the defensive: I'd prefer to be on the defensive a la 3.5e full defense or something like it. I understand that the dodge action requires that we're in combat. Whatever I can do, basically.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Banned

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Stealth
    Show
    This should be interesting ;)
    Stealth: (1d20+1)[21]
    Disadvantage (chain mail): (1d20+1)[8]
    Last edited by BurgerBeast; 2015-04-23 at 07:42 PM.