New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default How do I get an overview on magic item's rarity?

I'm a first time DM (campaign hasn't even started yet), and I'm fairly new to D&D, and since the only campaign I've ever played in had next to no magic items I've come across this problem.

Magic Item Rarity.

Since the Player's Handbooks don't have rarity listed on their items, I've gone to the errata. Problem is: there are loads of items in the books, but in the errata only a few have been designated a rarity status.

Also, the errata doesn't match with the other, scattered sources I've managed to scramble during this evening of internet research. See for example page 3 in this PDF (http://wizards.com/dnd/files/DNDessentials.pdf), which lists, among other things, Magic Armor as common. The errata for Player's Handbook 1 does not list Magic Armor as that - it doesn't even mention it.

The reason this is important (besides the fact that I like to keep things by-the-book) is because since the player's start at level 3, I think it fair for them to have some magic gear, and I'd let them choose it themselves (2 level 1-3 items each).

One thing I could do, I guess, is to just skip the entire rarity-bit; I suppose gear of that low level won't be rare anyway, and if it is (I'll of course flip through the books beforehand and check) I'll just tell them to disregard those few items that are. Then, as the campaign is running, I'll be the one in control of magic gear anyway, so I'll just choose what I deem appropriate, without the need to bother about rules for rarity.

Your thoughts on this? I understand Magic Item Rarity is something of a... topic for discussion among the more veteran players.
    Last edited by YeOldeGrandma; 2015-04-17 at 06:21 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: How do I get an overview on magic item's rarity?

As I've said, every item is uncommon unless explicitly listed otherwise.

There are, unfortunately, a number of things in the 4.4 books that are different from the 4.0 books and that have not been errata'ed in the latter. Basically, WOTC didn't really think much about how to use 4.0 books in a 4.4 game. Note that rarity is a 4.4 rule, not a 4.0 rule; the 4.0 rule simply says that PCs can enchant or buy whatever they like (within their wealth and level limits, of course).

One thing I could do, I guess, is to just skip the entire rarity-bit;
    That's what I would advise, yes. It is not generally true that uncommon items are better than common items (or rare items better than uncommons), anyway. Several of 4E's actual designers have gone on record stating they don't use rarity either.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

4.4 is the same as D&D Essentials I take it? And WOTC didn't really think that one would use, for example, PH1, when one had HotFL?

New to this, just trying to get an overview.
    Last edited by YeOldeGrandma; 2015-04-17 at 06:20 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    the 4.0 rule simply says that PCs can enchant or buy whatever they like (within their wealth and level limits, of course).
    So I can set them free to use/enchant whatever items they like, with no regard to rarity, and feel safe that wealth and level limits will keep things balanced still?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeGrandma View Post
    So I can set them free to use/enchant whatever items they like, with no regard to rarity, and feel safe that wealth and level limits will keep things balanced still?
    At least as safe as you could feel about that using the rarity rules. Some items/item combos are relatively quite good - but that does not necessarily have anything to do with their rarity.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

The rule for starting at a level higher than level 1 is that they get 3 magic items. One of their level +1, one of their level, and one of their level -1. They also start with the gold equivalent of a magic item of their level. So each PC in your game would have a level 4, level 3, and level 2 item. They'd also have 680 gp each

Of course, that's up to you! If this all seems too powerful then fine, just don't skimp on treasure parcels or they might end up undergeared.
    Last edited by DragonBaneDM; 2015-04-24 at 10:46 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeGrandma View Post
    No. When speaking of player characters. "whatever they like" and "safe" do not go together.

I believe Surrealistik suggested that a DM not allow multiple items that trigger or enhance from the same maneuver. For instance, a chargecheese design will want Badge of the Berserker which lets you ignore OAs when you charge, Vanguard weapon does extra damage when you charge, boots that let you shift after you charge, etc; you might decide to allow only one of those.
    Of course, it also depends on your party. I had a chargecheese barbarian with all those items, and our twin-strike-ranger still did more damage, in theory (in practice, tactics make a difference).
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.