New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

Default Question about the spell Elation

The spell says:

"Affected creatures gain a +2 morale bonus to effective Strength and Dexterity, and their speed increases by +5 feet. "

Would this be a +2 morale bonus to str and dex modifier or to the str and dex score?

The reason for me asking is the "effective" word. Why put that in, if it means nothing...

Thanks

2. - Top - End - #2
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Question about the spell Elation

To the score. Nothing ever affects the modifier directly.

As for why "effective" is there, presumably it sounded good to the writer at the time, and he likely didn't think anything of it.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

To the Strength and Dexterity scores. I honestly cannot think of a time when bonuses are applied directly to an ability modifier.

The effective is saying, I guess, that it's not an actual change, but instead is a temporary increase. Your effective score is what the score is functioning as, regardless of your actual, permanent score.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Considering that it mirrors the reverse of the Fatigued condition, I'd say it affects their ability scores, not their ability bonuses.

Meaning, a character with Str 11 and Elation on him effectively has Str 13 when determining the effects of anything that adds his Str bonus to it, but he wouldn't qualify for Power Attack (such as if someone cast Heroics on him during the Elation) because it's only his effective Str, not his actual Str.