New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Undead Bozzok?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Undead Bozzok?

I was a bit surprised by Bozzok going down so quickly and easily. No climactic battle, no more twists. Was this brief fight just a loose end that needed tying up? Will Crystal continue her rampage?

No, that's not what I think. I think, that part of the Greysky Arc will be over soon. I think something else will happen: Since Bozzok was already incredibly high level at the end of DStP, someone might turn him into a really powerful undead creature. And you know who will do the deed? Of course, it will be done by the character this book has been focusing on since the very beginning: The high priest of Hel. Maybe Bozzok's not even his first minion, did anybody see where Zz'dtri's body went?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: Undead Bozzok?

Quote Originally Posted by bertoltus View Post
    I was a bit surprised by Bozzok going down so quickly and easily. No climactic battle, no more twists. Was this brief fight just a loose end that needed tying up? Will Crystal continue her rampage?

No, that's not what I think. I think, that part of the Greysky Arc will be over soon. I think something else will happen: Since Bozzok was already incredibly high level at the end of DStP, someone might turn him into a really powerful undead creature. And you know who will do the deed? Of course, it will be done by the character this book has been focusing on since the very beginning: The high priest of Hel. Maybe Bozzok's not even his first minion, did anybody see where Zz'dtri's body went?
    I think we would have seen some indication that HPoH was dragging around an undead drow with him. Also, without his Wizard levels, Zz'dtri's not much use. If HPoH needs a sack of HP for a meat shield, he can summon a fiend.

Which is kind of a similar issue with Bozzok. There's not much he can get out of turning Bozzok into an undead (intelligent or otherwise) that he can't get by, say, summoning a monster. And the latter costs less and is less likely to cause Roy, Elan, and Haley to doubt his assumed identity.

Plus, if he turns Bozzok into an undead, there's always the risk that he goes off the rails somehow (someone else gains control a la Redcloak, it somehow escapes HPoH's control and becomes independent....)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ah yes, the ever dangerous animated puddle of goo.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #4
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Ever wonder where gelatinous cubes come from?

Or will he be more like that silly Penny Arcade game where they got attacked by undead minotaur hamburger meat?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    Ever wonder where gelatinous cubes come from?

Or will he be more like that silly Penny Arcade game where they got attacked by undead minotaur hamburger meat?
    Gelatinous cubes are what happens when someone doesn't finish all their Jell-O and it comes back for revenge.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Gelatinous cubes are what happens when someone doesn't finish all their Jell-O and it comes back for revenge.
    Mind if I sig that?

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Emperordaniel View Post
    Mind if I sig that?
    By all means!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yeah, I think at this point there isn't enough of Bozzok to bring him back short of some rather high-level magic. I think he might be out of the game at this point.

Peelee’s Lotsey

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Yeah, I think at this point there isn't enough of Bozzok to bring him back short of some rather high-level magic. I think he might be out of the game at this point.
    Agreed. I mean, maybe creating some more vampires was what HPoH was foreshadowing here, but "Bozzooze" won't be in any shape to benefit from that.
    Last edited by D.One; 2015-04-20 at 08:08 AM.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    Agreed. I mean, maybe creating some more vampires was what HPoH was foreshadowing here, but "Bozzooze" won't be in any shape to benefit from that.
    Never mind that you can't turn an already-dead corpse into a vampire, unless it was killed by one.

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

11. - Top - End - #11

EvilClericGuy

My immediate thought was that Haley would try to get Crystal resurrected by HPoH. Not sure if Golem Crystal would go along with that as it involves killing her first. But just as unlikely for HPoH to resurrect Boz.
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Unless Juiblex gets involved somehow, I doubt it.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I dunno... we could have the animated right broken hand of Bozzok, the walking spine of Bozzok, the 132 Skull Flesh Golems, the 38 Leg Golems... Eh, no, he's so not coming back.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Bozzak is definitely a third rate player in this drama/comedy alongside Tarquin, and may not be worth resurrecting. However, if there is anything that we've learned recently is that the Giant isn't afraid to bring character that were put on a bus Even from Death.
    Wizard's First Rule: People will believe anything, either because they want it to be true, or they are afraid it is true.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

He might come back as undead, but I don't see him coming back as corporeal undead.

Still, ghost, spectre, wraith . . . there are options.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    Unless Juiblex gets involved somehow, I doubt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyzzt View Post
    I dunno... we could have the animated right broken hand of Bozzok, the walking spine of Bozzok, the 132 Skull Flesh Golems, the 38 Leg Golems... Eh, no, he's so not coming back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    He might come back as undead, but I don't see him coming back as corporeal undead.

Still, ghost, spectre, wraith . . . there are options.
    Wait, did I miss something? How do we know Bozzok was pulverized/liquefied? The last we saw his corpse on camera it seemed intact.

(Not saying this didn't happen, and in fact I'd prefer it - but is there proof?)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Wait, did I miss something? How do we know Bozzok was pulverized/liquefied? The last we saw his corpse on camera it seemed intact.

(Not saying this didn't happen, and in fact I'd prefer it - but is there proof?)
    Not as such. But a speeded up Crystal keeps pounding on the proverbial dead horse. Regardless, there's no one in the vicinity (as far as we can tell) with an interest in raising Bozzok. And the condition of the corpse is a vital factor as to how easy that is, ie if Bozzok's corpse is heavily damaged then he would be resurrected that way... which wouldn't be conductive to his future vitality.

In short, there's probably no one powerful enough clsoe enough that is interested in reviving him.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post

Honestly, he probably wasn't. Liquification through punching would be incredibly difficult. But I at least am prone to hyperbole, and "animated puddle of goo" is significantly more amusing than "Animated corpse which has been utterly shattered."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Spamalot in the Playground

Darn. I was hoping for definitive proof that he had been rendered* un-raiseable, that I had just somehow missed as a background detail. Much like you could potentially miss the small "squilch" in Brainy Pete's death, or the small "crunches" in Tsukiko's.

*no pun intended
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Regardless, there's no one in the vicinity (as far as we can tell) with an interest in raising Bozzok.
    This is the big one. I don't see Bozzok being really important enough to anything to justify being used as an undead, and there's no one with any real interest to Resurrect him, as anyone near him would likely sooner clamber over him for the top spot than bring him back to reclaim it.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Regardless, there's no one in the vicinity (as far as we can tell) with an interest in raising Bozzok.
    Quote Originally Posted by GigaGuess View Post
    This is the big one. I don't see Bozzok being really important enough to anything to justify being used as an undead, and there's no one with any real interest to Resurrect him, as anyone near him would likely sooner clamber over him for the top spot than bring him back to reclaim it.
    Yeah, we haven't really seen any character with enough loyalty to Bozzok to get him raised except maybe, ironically, Crystal. She was the only member of the Greysky thieves' guild who was shown to both have no potential interest in taking over and, until recently, obeyed Bozzok completely. I wouldn't exactly put it beyond the realm of possibility that Bozzok had allies and/or some kind of backup plan in place to take effect in the event of his premature demise, but nothing fitting that description has been explicitly shown thus far.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I clicked on this thread expecting groan-worthy speculation, but it introduced me to the word "Bozzooze", so everything is more than forgiven.