New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Help me settle an Xmen movie dispute(possible spoilers?)

Alright so me and my wife recently watched X-men: Days of Future Past(yeah, late to the party, we always are). At the endMystique impersonates Stryker and takes Wolverine with herthus eliminating those two from ever meeting. My question is twofold: Does re-writing the timeline mean that Wolverine will no longer have his Adamantium Claws and just his bone ones?

My second question is a bit harder/easier to answer I think. In Days of Future Past, technically Wolverine shouldn't have his Adamantium Claws because of the second Wolverine movie where he gets the Adamantium sucked out of him, and Days of Future Past obviously takes place LONG past that point in time. HOWEVER, in one scene where Wolverine freaks out after having seen Stryker at the Summit causes him to freak out in the future, I'm pretty flipping sure his claws pop out and they are in fact the Adamantium ones, and he slices the chick that's sending his consciousness back in time up pretty badly(to the point that they are worried she's going to bleed out before he can finish his mission). So, did he have his Adamantium Claws, and if so, that's kind of annoying that they completely forgot that he lost them at the end of his second movie.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Help me settle an Xmen movie dispute(possible spoilers?)

I'm surprised you didn't point out that Charles Xavier is like, you know, dismantled at the molecular level in X:TLS.
    I think it's safe to say these events take place in an entirely disjoint timeline from the other films, and that you can ignore any conflict between the two as being a result of that fact.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Nij View Post
    I'm surprised you didn't point out that Charles Xavier is like, you know, dismantled at the molecular level in X:TLS.
    I think it's safe to say these events take place in an entirely disjoint timeline from the other films, and that you can ignore any conflict between the two as being a result of that fact.
    Nah, if you watch the after-credits of X:TLS it clearly shows Xavier in a hospital bed or whatever.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Nah, if you watch the after-credits of X:TLS it clearly shows Xavier in a hospital bed or whatever.
    That's his brain dead twin brother. He transferred his consciousness into him as discussed in the ethics class.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post
    That's his brain dead twin brother. He transferred his consciousness into him as discussed in the ethics class.
    Wait, that's his twin brother? I always assumed it was just... some brain dead person he transferred into. (They don't really show his face in that scene,do they?) Not sure if that makes more or less sense now.

Alright so me and my wife recently watched X-men: Days of Future Past(yeah, late to the party, we always are). At the endMystique impersonates Stryker and takes Wolverine with herthus eliminating those two from ever meeting. My question is twofold: Does re-writing the timeline mean that Wolverine will no longer have his Adamantium Claws and just his bone ones?
    Eh, while it wouldn't be very in character for her, there's a chance for Miystique infiltrating Weapon X as Stryker and her just standing by while Logan cets treated. Or him getting caught at a later pointed and his bones replaced.

My second question is a bit harder/easier to answer I think. In Days of Future Past, technically Wolverine shouldn't have his Adamantium Claws because of the second Wolverine movie where he gets the Adamantium sucked out of him, and Days of Future Past obviously takes place LONG past that point in time. HOWEVER, in one scene where Wolverine freaks out after having seen Stryker at the Summit causes him to freak out in the future, I'm pretty flipping sure his claws pop out and they are in fact the Adamantium ones, and he slices the chick that's sending his consciousness back in time up pretty badly(to the point that they are worried she's going to bleed out before he can finish his mission). So, did he have his Adamantium Claws, and if so, that's kind of annoying that they completely forgot that he lost them at the end of his second movie.
    Clearly The Wolverine was just a nightmare in Logan's head and nothing in that movie (or in Origins) has any impact on the true canon
    Honestly I even forgot he lost his claws in that, so... maybe the writers did the same? But more likely they ignored that... eh, below average movie.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Hey, I like The Wolverine, stop ragging on it everyone. About the question, worth noting that at the point the future scenes are the x-men have been allied with Magneto for a while, he could have reclawed Wolverine easily
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Clearly The Wolverine was just a nightmare in Logan's head and nothing in that movie (or in Origins) has any impact on the true canon
    Honestly I even forgot he lost his claws in that, so... maybe the writers did the same? But more likely they ignored that... eh, below average movie.
    If I recall,
    Spoiler: SPOILERS
    Show
    the crazy samurai cyborg used a superheated adamantium katana to slice them off, so that he could drill into the stubs and somehow drain Wolverines healing into himself.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

I remember his claws being bone in the future

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SparksMcGee View Post
    I remember his claws being bone in the future
    Same here.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

I always assumed that, given the nature of basic biology and also wolverine's regen, that his system did the exact opposite of rejecting the metal and now consider it a natural part of his body.

Normally, metal like that would be passed out of the system eventually. Instead, wolverine's body actively regenerates it, producing adamantium at the molecular level and grafting it to the bone. He can grow it back. Eventually.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Same here.
    Nah, they're clearly metal. Honest Trailer for proof (Yeah, I remembered they used the scene.)

I guess thinking back I remember the claw cutting and the DNA extraction in Wolverine. I guess he'd need a new one after that, yeah.
    "What's done is done."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Alright so me and my wife recently watched X-men: Days of Future Past(yeah, late to the party, we always are). At the end Mystique impersonates Stryker and takes Wolverine with herthus eliminating those two from ever meeting. My question is twofold: Does re-writing the timeline mean that Wolverine will no longer have his Adamantium Claws and just his bone ones?
    Maybe maybe not. They can do whatever

My second question is a bit harder/easier to answer I think. In Days of Future Past, technically Wolverine shouldn't have his Adamantium Claws .
    I think the explanation was that Magneto helped him regain adamantium claws.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Honestly, there are quite a lot of continuity errors between all of the movies in this series (especially if you include the Wolverine spin-offs, which I do). As far as I know, there is no explanation for this or for young Xavier losing his legs before his hair when it was previously shown in two different movies (X3 and X-Men Origins) that the reverse was true, or it being stated that Magneto had helped Xavier build Cerebro in X2 and then having it be built by Beast (before he ever even met Xavier, WTF?) in First Class. And then there's the stuff that's just fictionally wrong like Juggernaut being a mutant and not related to Professor X, or how Havok is for some reason so much older than his older brother Cyclops, or how can Shadowcat gain the ability to send someone's mind back in time.

Really, we are all better off accepting these movies for the shallow action films they are, or at the very least learn not to expect a series of films with many different writers and directors and producers involved to maintain any sort of perfect consistency with itself. Heck, a lot of single films that get released fail to do that with themselves, never mind other movies.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Magneto can manipulate adamantium (says so in the second movie) so I assumed he just gave him new ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Honestly, there are quite a lot of continuity errors between all of the movies in this series (especially if you include the Wolverine spin-offs, which I do). As far as I know, there is no explanation for this or for young Xavier losing his legs before his hair when it was previously shown in two different movies (X3 and X-Men Origins) that the reverse was true, or it being stated that Magneto had helped Xavier build Cerebro in X2 and then having it be built by Beast (before he ever even met Xavier, WTF?) in First Class. And then there's the stuff that's just fictionally wrong like Juggernaut being a mutant and not related to Professor X, or how Havok is for some reason so much older than his older brother Cyclops, or how can Shadowcat gain the ability to send someone's mind back in time.
    Not to say the movies ar great but one has to differentiate between changes from continuity and errors. If they for whatever dumb reason chose to make Juggernaut a mutant and not Charles brother... well, that's up to them. If their movies in andoff themselves contradict each other, that's a different thing. In my opinion, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Magneto can manipulate adamantium (says so in the second movie) so I assumed he just gave him new ones.
    But... there's still a difference between "manipulate metal" and give him new claws, including finding adamatium. I mean, I'm not saying it's impossible but some explanation would have been nice.
    "What's done is done."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Is their confirmation the first X-Men movies including the Wolverine movies are explicitly said to be the Days of Future Past (Future?) I was discussing it with a friend, and wouldn't it make a whole lot more sense that the future of X men days of future past isn't canon from the original X-Men movies?

Take the same actors from the X-Men movies, but omit the original 3 stories, and make an alternate future based off the First Class run of movies. This alternate future may have similar plots, or entirely different ones, as long as the plot deems necessary. Unless I am mistaking something that explicitly says this future is supposed to be based off those X-men movies, and spinoffs.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Codyage View Post
    Is their confirmation the first X-Men movies including the Wolverine movies are explicitly said to be the Days of Future Past (Future?) I was discussing it with a friend, and wouldn't it make a whole lot more sense that the future of X men days of future past isn't canon from the original X-Men movies?

Take the same actors from the X-Men movies, but omit the original 3 stories, and make an alternate future based off the First Class run of movies. This alternate future may have similar plots, or entirely different ones, as long as the plot deems necessary. Unless I am mistaking something that explicitly says this future is supposed to be based off those X-men movies, and spinoffs.
    I'm nt entirely sure what your perspective is from your phrasing but the point is pretty clear: Days made the original trilogy not-happen. The events of the framing plot happen after the original trilogy and in the new timeline Jean and Scott are alive, among other things, probably.
    "What's done is done."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Well, fictionally wrong is kind of an oxymoron, but I hear you that some alterations might be annoying. Adamantium not actually being indestructible in the movies has always irked me a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Codyage View Post

Days retcons the entire series. It's not a reboot, but it's as close as you can get while still keeping the same "universe". What did and didn't happen in the new timeline hasn't been clarified yet, if ever, depending on when the next film takes place. Most likely though, given their distinct lack of popularity, X3 and Origins didn't happen at all period.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Adamantium not actually being indestructible in the movies has always irked me a bit.
    When has adamantium been not-indestructible in the movies other than by being hit really, really hard with much hotter adamantium?
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Seems thst before the movie came out the director actually suggested Magneto.http://screenrant.com/x-men-days-fut...e-metal-claws/
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

When has adamantium been not-indestructible in the movies other than by being hit really, really hard with much hotter adamantium?
    The gun in X-men origins which fires an adamantium bullet through Logan's skull. Basically adamantium isn't actually unbreakable, it's just harder than anything else known in the film continuity. Apply some kinetic force or other energy with an equivalent substance and it proves markedly brittle. It's meant as very minor nitpick, but anything that can break itself clearly fails it's famed definition.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    The gun in X-men origins which fires an adamantium bullet through Logan's skull. Basically adamantium isn't actually unbreakable, it's just harder than anything else known in the film continuity. Apply some kinetic force or other energy with an equivalent substance and it proves markedly brittle. It's meant as very minor nitpick, but anything that can break itself clearly fails it's famed definition.
    Personally, I'm more upset about the confident way that Striker says that Logan's memories "won't grow back" (and that he is somehow right about this) than the fact that adamantium can shoot through adamantium. I know that they needed a way to get from the Logan in X-Men Origins to the "I can't remember my past" Wolverine that we see in the X-Men trilogy, but I'm pretty sure the effects of brain damage aren't quite so predictable AND I know that Striker as he is shown in the movie has no business knowing anything about how Wolverine's healing factor might work in that situation.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Spamalot in the Playground

He already has his claws back before The Wolverine ends/he even meets Magneto. In the airport, he opts for the pat-down rather than go through the metal-detector, and of course Magneto is able to stop him from going stabby, so it must be back in his skeleton. So whatever happened, happened in that movie, not between movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Wait, that's his twin brother? I always assumed it was just... some brain dead person he transferred into. (They don't really show his face in that scene,do they?) Not sure if that makes more or less sense now.
    http://marvel.wikia.com/P._Xavier_%28Earth-10005%29
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    He already has his claws back before The Wolverine ends/he even meets Magneto. In the airport, he opts for the pat-down rather than go through the metal-detector, and of course Magneto is able to stop him from going stabby, so it must be back in his skeleton. So whatever happened, happened in that movie, not between movies.
    It was never the entire adamantium skeleton that he lost, just the claws. In the very same scene you're talking about, when Wolverine spots Magneto he immediately extends his claws and they're bone.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Spamalot in the Playground

It was never the entire adamantium skeleton that he lost, just the claws. In the very same scene you're talking about, when Wolverine spots Magneto he immediately extends his claws and they're bone.
    Oh - well in that case, yeah, I assume Magneto gave them back to him some time before the war since they probably needed him to chop Sentinels up.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Yeah Magneto has had remarkable ability to manipulate the supposedly indestructible Adamantium. Dude was able to strip it from Wolverine's entire skeleton in the comics. (He lived, as he generally does, but just barely)

Apparently he can do this because he's capable of manipulating the metal at a molecular level. The Adamantium doesn't melt or anything, but there's such a precise degree of manipulation that he can essentially treat it like liquid.

Movie Magneto hasn't quite demonstrated this level of skill (though the drawing iron from blood scene in X2 was pretty impressive) but considering that it was only his claws that needed replacing (So there wouldn't need to be quite as gruesome surgery as in the weapon X program) and he wouldn't need to do it as a combat move (like he did in the comics) I would say that sort of feat was well within his power level assuming they could get their hands on enough adamantium. (a difficult but not impossible task)

As for whether Wolvie currently has a metal skeleton or not, that's unclear as far as I can tell. He didn't check his claws in the new universe for us to see (something I was really hoping for) and given the unknown factor of whether or not he'd interacted with Stryker or not, we really can't tell.

One thing that I just noticed that does amuse me though, in all likelihood the events of Days of Future Past almost completely overwrote the majority of the events of Xmen Origins Wolverine.

DoFP was set during the tail end of the Vietnam war during Nixon's term. Given that Stryker has no memory of Wolverine in the movie and given that Wolvie fighting in Vietnam was the event that started the events of Origins, DoFP more than likely occurred right before Wolverine was considering on whether to ship out to Vietnam with Sabretooth, and also likely completely negated his chances of doing such a thing. (The last we see of that timeline has him being detained by military forces after having been involved in a highly publicized attack on the President, if he ends up joining any secret government groups, it most likely be on the same terms he did in Origins)

I am glad that DoFP ended up such a good movie while simultaneously specifically invalidating the worst movies that had been made in the meantime. (Yeah I know they technically invalidated all the previous (non first class) movies, but it's clear that it was Origins and Last Stand that specifically got the shaft in all that.)

Another question related to Last Stand. If Xavier transferred his mind to his twin brother. Why was he still crippled? The whole "I have an identical twin brother you've never heard about and conveniently is braindead enough to act as a host for my own mind" is contrived enough already. But that it's also inconveniently crippled is really pushing it. (Especially since part of the reason he seemed to be positing the ethical question of possessing him was at least partially because the body was more capable than his own.)
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post

Another question related to Last Stand. If Xavier transferred his mind to his twin brother. Why was he still crippled? The whole "I have an identical twin brother you've never heard about and conveniently is braindead enough to act as a host for my own mind" is contrived enough already. But that it's also inconveniently crippled is really pushing it. (Especially since part of the reason he seemed to be positing the ethical question of possessing him was at least partially because the body was more capable than his own.)
    Maybe his new body isn't paraplegic but he decided after ten minutes of walking around that his magic wheelchair was more fun after all.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Maybe his new body isn't paraplegic but he decided after ten minutes of walking around that his magic wheelchair was more fun after all.
    Or maybe he'd forgotten how to walk and decided "Screw physical therapy, legs are overrated anyways."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Or maybe he'd forgotten how to walk and decided "Screw physical therapy, legs are overrated anyways."
    Huh... I mean on one hand given the amount of time it'd take (plus accounting for the oncoming take-over by the sentinels) it's not out of the question that he wouldn't have the time. On the other hand it does seem like the kind of thing you'd prioritize given the whole robot takeover thing.

One theory that did occur to me recently was that he was in a similar position as he was in the 70's. He expending enough of his mental concentration to remain in this body, that he can't afford to use it too heavily without the risk of losing his grasp on it and spiraling into oblivion. Essentially he really only existed as a fully mental presence after his body's death, so he's far more limited in his capacities.
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
    Well given that the body was in a coma for 70 years, the muscles would have atrophied to the point where he couldn't walk.

A better question would be how he can move his arms.