New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Optimisation Challenge: Highest Int at level 1

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    What makes you think you get to pick from that list? Page 6 of Player's Handbook details the steps of creating a level 1 character. Your ability scores come before choice of race and class. Your alignment comes at the end. You don't get to pick a Chaotic alignment after you've chosen the Monk class. Similarly, you don't get to pick a race with insufficient bonus languages after you've chosen a high INT. Early choices can preclude freedom to make later picks.
    You can totally pick a Chaotic alignment after choosing the Monk class. It just makes you an ex-Monk.

Anyway, languages are governed by the Speak Language skill, and skill selection happens after race selection.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    You can totally pick a Chaotic alignment after choosing the Monk class. It just makes you an ex-Monk.
    We're talking at character creation. You don't have a chance to be an ex-anything until you've actually qualified for a class level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid
    Anyway, languages are governed by the Speak Language skill, and skill selection happens after race selection.
    That's only partly correct. There's nothing about skills in the RACE AND LANGUAGES rule (Player's Handbook, page 12):
    A smart character (one who had an Intelligence bonus at 1st level) speaks other languages as well, one extra language per point of Intelligence bonus as a starting character. Select your character’s bonus languages (if any) from the list found in his or her race’s description later in this chapter.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

A Spellwarped, Phrenic, Primordial Ogre Mage can have an Int of 32=18+4(Ogre Mage)+4(Primordial)+2(Phrenic)+4(Spellwarped). It will have 5RHD and LA+12. Ogre Mage only has 4 Bonus Language choices, and one of them (Infernal) overlaps with Cleric. So, that is 11 Bonus Languages and only 4 from Race and 2 from class. Are there any regions that provide 5 Bonus Language choices?
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

That's an ECL 18 creature with 1 class level, which is below the Epic threshold; that's good.

Automatic Languages: Common, Giant. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Goblin, Infernal, Orc.
    A cleric’s bonus language options include Celestial, Abyssal, and Infernal.

The Ashane region (first one on the table @ Player's Guide to Faerűn, page 30) has
    Bonus Languages: Aquan, Auran, Giant, Goblin, Mulhorandi, Rashemi, Shou, Tuigan.

So this Ogre Mage with all the templates still is a viable racial choice; INT doesn't force you to choose something else with Bonus Languages: Any. It doesn't even force you to choose Cleric; you could choose Druid instead, picking up Sylvan as another bonus language.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

Well, how many languages are there?
    The Giantitp Drinking Game!
    Anytime someone mentions "strawman" or "stormwind" take a drink.

For next level difficulty, also take a drink when someone mentions "fallacy" or "logic."

Sorry if my posts get incoherent

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EugeneVoid View Post
    Well, how many languages are there?
    At least this many: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-of-Languages

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

I still don't think forcing a region is legitimate. It might be legitimate for campaigns set in that world, but not all campaigns are set in Faerun.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

8. - Top - End - #38

HalflingPirate

Okay,

A Riddled, Spellhoarding, Half-Dragon, Half-Fiend, Half-Nymph, Spellwarped, Phrenic Wyrmling Mercury Dragon can have an Int of 40=18 Base + 2 Phrenic + 4 Spellwarped + 2 Half-Nymph + 4 Half-Fiend + 2 Half-Dragon +2 Spellhoarding +6 Riddled.

Nothing about the other templates changes Mercury Dragon's Age categories, so when Half-Dragon switches the type back to dragon, he is eligible for the Dragon only acquired templates: Riddled and Spellhoarding.

His ECL at Character level 1 is 20 = 3RHD+2LA+2 Phrenic+3 Spellwarped + 2 Half-Nymph + 4 Half-Fiend + 3 Half-Dragon + 1 Class Level.

Dragons have no Bonus languages from Race, so he would need to come up with 15 Bonus languages from a combination of class and region.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    Okay,

A Riddled, Spellhoarding, Half-Dragon, Half-Fiend, Half-Nymph, Spellwarped, Phrenic Wyrmling Mercury Dragon can have an Int of 40=18 Base + 2 Phrenic + 4 Spellwarped + 2 Half-Nymph + 4 Half-Fiend + 2 Half-Dragon +2 Spellhoarding +6 Riddled.

Nothing about the other templates changes Mercury Dragon's Age categories, so when Half-Dragon switches the type back to dragon, he is eligible for the Dragon only acquired templates: Riddled and Spellhoarding.

His ECL at Character level 1 is 20 = 3RHD+2LA+2 Phrenic+3 Spellwarped + 2 Half-Nymph + 4 Half-Fiend + 3 Half-Dragon + 1 Class Level.

Dragons have no Bonus languages from Race, so he would need to come up with 15 Bonus languages from a combination of class and region.
    Riddled is acquired, which is a problem for this exercise. Also, you probably need to juggle the order of those templates around if you want it to have the dragon type to even qualify for Riddled.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

10. - Top - End - #40
    Barbarian in the Playground

Get a hold of a pair of metamagic rods: One of Empower Spell, one of Maximize Spell.

Cast Awaken.

3d6 Int becomes (18+50%=27)

Add whatever fancy stuff you people do.

????

Prof- Wait, no. Go Psion until you get Control Body, and use another creature as your proxy body.

Profit.
    "The trick with Psionics isn't looking for what's good, it's looking for what makes everything else better."

Spoiler: The False Nose of Vecna.
    Show

Make a disguise check every time you encounter someone new.

If the d20 roll results in a 13 (without modifiers) that person automatically assumes you are Vecna in a very poor disguise, and cannot be convinced otherwise, short of a wish spell.

Minor Artifact.

In memory of Monty Oum, 1981-2015.
    The world is a little less bright, now that it lacks you.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tohsaka Rin View Post
    Get a hold of a pair of metamagic rods: One of Empower Spell, one of Maximize Spell.
    Not going to work.
    Metamagic Rods
    Metamagic rods hold the essence of a metamagic feat but do not change the spell slot of the altered spell. All the rods described here are use-activated (but casting spells in a threatened area still draws an attack of opportunity). A caster may only use one metamagic rod on any given spell, but it is permissible to combine a rod with metamagic feats possessed by the rod’s wielder. In this case, only the feats possessed by the wielder adjust the spell slot of the spell being cast.
    Plus, of course, this doesn't satisfy the terms of the exercise. Awaken doesn't have an associated LA (essentially "─"), so you can't do the arithmetic to say that the creature doesn't exceed ECL 20.

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Awaken doesn't have an associated LA (essentially "─"), so you can't do the arithmetic to say that the creature doesn't exceed ECL 20.
    ...Um, what does that have to do with anything? Awaken doesn't change the LA at all, why would you need to calculate a non-change?

EDIT- Also, yes, fudge. I always forget about the MM-Rod limitation. Whatever though, MM-Rod of Max and then use the Empower MM. Doesn't invalidate the idea, just makes it a touch harder to do.
    Last edited by Tohsaka Rin; 2015-04-23 at 12:14 AM.
    "The trick with Psionics isn't looking for what's good, it's looking for what makes everything else better."

Show

If the d20 roll results in a 13 (without modifiers) that person automatically assumes you are Vecna in a very poor disguise, and cannot be convinced otherwise, short of a wish spell.

Minor Artifact.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Why not just use an Intensified Awaken for all stats at 36?
    "A Grandmaster doesn't say he's a Grandmaster. Other people say it for him."

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tohsaka Rin View Post
    ...Um, what does that have to do with anything? Awaken doesn't change the LA at all, why would you need to calculate a non-change?
    Trees and animals have LA: ─ to start with, sooo...

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by General Sajaru View Post
    Why not just use an Intensified Awaken for all stats at 36?
    Because A) Awaken only changes Int and Cha.

And B) I didn't know that MM existed. Wow, I do now though, wow.

Show

Minor Artifact.

16. - Top - End - #46

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    Riddled is acquired, which is a problem for this exercise. Also, you probably need to juggle the order of those templates around if you want it to have the dragon type to even qualify for Riddled.
    If you read the order I gave the templates from right to left, you will see that I applied Riddled last. I even mentioned it in that post. You go from being a dragon to aberration to fey to outsider back to dragon. Since you still have your age categories (and any other dragon qualifying feature) from being a Mercury dragon, when you take Half-Dragon (your last inherited template), it brings you back to dragon type, and you qualify for the dragon psychosis.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

Voidmind gives +2 int for 1 LA
    The Giantitp Drinking Game!
    Anytime someone mentions "strawman" or "stormwind" take a drink.

For next level difficulty, also take a drink when someone mentions "fallacy" or "logic."

Sorry if my posts get incoherent

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

If you read the order I gave the templates from right to left, you will see that I applied Riddled last. I even mentioned it in that post. You go from being a dragon to aberration to fey to outsider back to dragon. Since you still have your age categories (and any other dragon qualifying feature) from being a Mercury dragon, when you take Half-Dragon (your last inherited template), it brings you back to dragon type, and you qualify for the dragon psychosis.
    You're right about the typing. I didn't read your post carefully enough.

Still, it would presumably contract the Psychoses after selecting languages, so being an acquired template is still an issue here.
    Last edited by WhamBamSam; 2015-04-23 at 12:03 PM.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

19. - Top - End - #49

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    You're right about the typing. I didn't read your post carefully enough.

Still, it would presumably contract the Psychoses after selecting languages, so being an acquired template is still an issue here.
    I don't think so. You select languages after race (including acquired templates, if desired). At the level of Rules Pedantry where your intelligence may be high enough to force a specific class choice or region, then we are not worried about organic character growth or common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by EugeneVoid View Post
    Voidmind gives +2 int for 1 LA
    Presumably you are using Crystalkeep. They have the incorrect LA for that template. It is actually +3.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry — I've been offline for a couple of weeks — time to pick this up again perhaps ?
    Okay,

Even if we dump the acquired templates from this build we still have 11 Bonus languages, which should be enough.

Also: I'm not happy about adding in constraints which relate to a specific region AND setting. At the very least this should be conditional on the question.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook