New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Artman Learns to Draw (Better...)

Here is a high-contrast, film noir style piece I was working on last night...

rooftop justice

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm sure there are easier methods but I wonder if that technique would work digitally as well. It'd be interesting to try at least.
    Devoted artificer of the church of Scorching Ray.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

As someone who's done a Fallout 3 Mysterious Stranger cosplay (yes, I know he's Every Film Noir Stereotype Ever, but when you use the guitar jingle it becomes Fallout), I wholeheartedly approve.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

4. - Top - End - #34

@Madcrafter; I'm sure you could get the same effect with any program that uses layers. The 'organic' texture that comes from peeling layers of paint off with wrinkled newspaper would be harder to reproduce digitally, but I'm sure it could be done. If you thought the use of layers was akin to cheating you could just use the circle marquee tool to make your mask, replacing the plates, cups and lids...

@LordDeathkeeper; thanks.

On to my recent artscapades:
    So in some of these 'spacescape' painting videos, near the end, they'll take a scraper and remove the paint all the way down to the paper, revealing the white underneath. I tried my hand at this technique, but with slightly different subject matter:

skulls
    skull

OMG that was hard. Even taking into account that I’m pretty critical of my own work, I’m still not very pleased with how they came out. The first thing that took me by surprise was the finesse required when using a paint knife. Because the spray paint goes on so thin, a really minor adjustment in the angle of my wrist would mean the difference of removing a thin line of white vs two whole bloody inches!

Another thing that took me by surprise was how little time I had to accomplish my task. I’ve used spray paint before, so it wasn't how fast it dried that was surprise, and I had watched the three-minute-videos online too, so I thought I knew what I was getting into. What surprised me was how slow I was! LOL. It was a challenge for me to accomplish anything at all in such a small amount of time. My speed is better suited for oils at the moment. But it was fun, and I do like artistic challenges, so expect to see more of these in the near future...

5. - Top - End - #35
    Colossus in the Playground

Oh damn. Stuff like that is why I am dying to set up my own physical paints studio. What an interesting challenge.

6. - Top - End - #36

Yeah the first skull was pretty smooth, i just messed up my knife control, taking off too much here and there, but I was like "that's cool I'll just do another." So i did, but then the paint started to get sticky. Then dry. Then it was too late. I was like "Alright. let's do another." so I did another. Didn't like it. "Alright. Imma just do one more." And then DANG. It was time to go to work.

7. - Top - End - #37

Default Re: Artman Learns to Draw (and Paint...)

It was a long week. Didn't get the stuff done that I wanted to do, but I humbled myself attempting new techniques...

Week 5
    Noir Man
    Skulls 1
    Skulls 2
    Skull
    Noir Comic
    Logo

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh S$!&.

I got a shout-out at the beginning of this thread and I only JUST discovered this today??

I really need to make more of a presence for myself on this side of the boards.

Anyways, hi, I'm TechnO, aaaaaaaand you draw skulls really well. Your line detail and skeletal anatomy is pretty good, like, several steps above myself good (not that it means much but whatev').

Actually the only thing I'm finding myself disliking so far is the shading and the colored pencil use. I'm not a huge fan of either (I dislike the gradient shading look you get with pencils. I never enjoyed the way it looked on paper.), and my personal recommendation would be to explore your options as far as that's concerned. Overall though you've got a lot of little things going for you which is cool. Keep drawing.
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

9. - Top - End - #39

Yeah, you noticed that huh? I hate colored pencils for the same reason(s). I haven't been able to get good shading/deep colors with them, but I think it might be because I buy cheap pencils. I haven't really had the desire to use colored pencils that much until recently. I have other things I'm trying to do right now, but I'd like to get the whole colored-pencils-suck thing figured out at some point...

Thanks for stopping by my thread. ARTISTS UNITE!
    Last edited by Artman77; 2015-05-20 at 10:47 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40

Default Re: Artman's Quest to Become an Art-Master!

more spray paint stuff.
    #31skull
    #32skull plus paint pen
    Last edited by Artman77; 2015-05-24 at 11:09 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41

Last edited by Artman77; 2015-05-24 at 11:08 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42

So on the plus side, I got my scanner and Wacom tablet back from my brother, but on the flip side my laptop ate a major virus and is down for the count. Posting will have to continue via my tablet until a solution can be found. That laptop was old and clunky anyway, so it's probably time to upgrade. In the meantime, I got some art to show you all.

Practice characters for a FF14 piece commissioned by a friend.
    #34final fantasy characters

These were supposed to be panels to a noir chapter of the comic I've been working on, but since my computer took a crap they've been put on hold. I don't want to mess with trying to edit them on my tablet. Forget that.
    #35noir 2 - Hercules
    #36noir 3

This week's problems aside, the painting I did was really fun; I might try more of that.

This marks the end of Week 6

13. - Top - End - #43

14. - Top - End - #44
    Firbolg in the Playground

Needs 1000% more skulls.

And unnecessary, unnecessarily-huge pauldrons.

Just kidding of course. Looks great.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

15. - Top - End - #45

Yeah, I was going to put three skulls looking down under the shield between the lower two blades, and a skull in profile(looking away from center) on each side just above the banner, but it seemed too cluttered to me, so I left them out.

#38:spray paint girls
    #39:sketch 1
    #40:sketch 2
    #41:sketch 3

16. - Top - End - #46

Quote Originally Posted by Artman77 View Post
    Yeah, I was going to put three skulls looking down under the shield between the lower two blades, and a skull in profile(looking away from center) on each side just above the banner, but it seemed too cluttered to me, so I left them out.
    Thank goodness you didn't make any cluttered Warhammer artwork.

Kind of good on a level beyond my ability to provide useful feedback, you know?

Hey, I forget if I asked this, but what artists are you aiming towards in terms of where you want to be? Do you have any idols or favourites?

17. - Top - End - #47

Rembrandt for his speed, Caravaggio for his drama, and Monet for his color. There are too many modern artists to get into right now, but Louis Royo (spelling?) comes to mind. These are just for a solid baseline. I'll migrate towards concept art and promo art after that...

18. - Top - End - #48

Nope. It was Boris Vallejo I was thinking of.

19. - Top - End - #49

Been doing a lot of stuff offline for awhile now, and am fearing the massive art-dump that's building up. Here's some of it, in no particular order:
    42, 43:girls
    44, 45:dogs
    46, 47:greyhound one and two
    48:insignia
    Last edited by Artman77; 2015-06-22 at 02:24 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50

THERE IS ONLY ROOM FOR ONE DRAWTHREAD IN THIS SUBFORUM

Really, hoping you've been keeping up offline. It really sucks seeing people flame out after a couple of weeks

21. - Top - End - #51

Yeah, I've got a mountain of paper in my art room waiting for upload: I'm just really not that much of an internet type of guy...

22. - Top - End - #52

Yeah, I've got a mountain of paper in my art room waiting for upload: I'm just really not that much of an internet type of guy...
    I know I personally have stopped uploading my P&P sketches to the computer - I don't have a scanner so I have to photograph, crop and resize them and they're still blurry and crap.

Still I think that it's important to talk a bit about your art when you can, putting experiences into text can break them out of an emotional tactile zone and let one approach things more critically.

23. - Top - End - #53

Okay. So. I've been spending mega amounts of time either, A. Playing with colors values in photoshop trying to get the lighting right, or B. Doing figure sketches trying to get my anatomy down. Neither of these practices, while important, haven't produced anything upload-worthy, in my opinion. That being said,
    ART DUMP!!
    49:succubus
    50:
    51:sketch
    52:goat
    53:zombie
    54:hip/thigh study
    55:2 light sources
    56:batman(color/brushes)
    57:dog
    58:starwars
    59:orc
    60:tree
    61:man
    62:woman
    63:rage
    64:FF14 photoshop
    65:mother teresa

@Thanqol; talk more smack please. It is very motivating.

24. - Top - End - #54

Week 14 under my belt! Got burned out on the uploading/posting there for a bit, but I'm back at it.
    66: Calvin and Hobbes
    67: Elephant
    68: Dumbledore
    and
    69-71: orc study

The last one was the most fun for me to do, and I'll probably be doing more of these over the next few days.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

I really like your spray stuff - what do you use for it?
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

26. - Top - End - #56

Spray paint. Rustoleum 2x coverage mostly, but some cheap store brands too. The textured effect was achieved by spraying multiple layers of color, then lightly placing newspaper on top and peeling it back.

(Note: It has to be done on cardboard, posterboard or some other smooth surface to work well. I've seen people try to use that technique on canvas and it fails because the tooth of the canvas doesn't allow for a large surface area contact with the newspaper to pull off sections of the top layer of paint.)

Some of the white linework you see was created by scraping the paint off with a palette knife while it was still wet. Other lines were done with paint pens after it was dry.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Fite me IRL I swear on me mum.

On your "art threads burning out" comment, I've actually got basically a sketch dump in the works, it's just a lot of scanning I really don't want to do.

So I'm still active as far as art is concerned, I just haven't done anything digital as of late and have been working almost solely in traditional mediums. I actually just bought a few things I needed to give watercolors a try, so we'll see how that goes!
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

28. - Top - End - #58

Ditto on the watercolor stuff--I've been wanting to give that a try for awhile now.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post

Really, hoping you've been keeping up offline. It really sucks seeing people flame out after a couple of weeks
    I was gone, and it's going to take a while to imgur up everything onto the thread here. It's on tumblr, though.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

30. - Top - End - #60

@Thanqol; talk more smack please. It is very motivating.
    Sorry I'm late in replying to this but I just couldn't find the motivation to wade through all this crap.

SMACK TALK GO

Okay. So. I've been spending mega amounts of time either, A. Playing with colors values in photoshop trying to get the lighting right, or B. Doing figure sketches trying to get my anatomy down. Neither of these practices, while important, haven't produced anything upload-worthy, in my opinion. That being said,
    ART DUMP!!
    49:succubus
    Ear looks too small, the skin and wing tones are too similar. The texture on the wings looks really flat, I find that this is a persistent problem with texture effects.

Look at me with my fancy-pants leaf brush and brilliant compositions, la-de-da

51:sketch
    Your skill is clearly deteriorating here.

52:goat
    You have drawn this goat as some sort of terrifying demon entity trampling trees underhoof. Completely inaccurate and possibly goat-racist.

53:zombie
    Picture is excessively creepy.

Butt is insufficiently sexy.

Too political

Batman's new costume includes half a dozen scarves in place of a cape.

57:dog
    Dog is not cat.

Obi-Wan's lightsaber is blue. So is Anakin's, actually. Poorly researched.

59:orc
    The snout seems to be facing directly towards the camera despite the 3/4 view.

60:tree
    Sky is not actually pink

61:man
    Face accidentally cropped from picture

62:woman
    Too talented

63:rage
    Bicep has transformed into basketball.

Weapons are clearly impractical. Any given woman is showing more skin than every male combined.

BABIES ARE RUINING ALL MY TABLETOPS

Quote Originally Posted by TechnOkami View Post
    Fite me IRL I swear on me mum.
    Fight me in the park at lunch time tomorrow. Sincerely, your nemesis, Johnny Snow.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2015-08-07 at 07:35 AM.