New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Pathfinder, First time DM, need advice on designing things.

So my university friends and I are all graduating right about now. Because we're all moving away from each other now, I proposed that we use an online D&D campaign to try and stay in contact and we all agreed it was good plan. The problem starts with the fact that only two of us really have any experience with D&D, myself and the other, much more experience player. We've tried to do campaigns before with the experienced player as DM, but scheduling was always an issue and we never got a campaign beyond 2 sessions. To rectify that, I'm the DM this time. The good news is that I'm good at molding my schedule, so I can generally always be around to run things. The bad news is I have no idea what I'm doing. For the record, you can skip to the paragraph that will have the first sentence bolded here if you don't want to read through my campaign lore. I tend to wall of text a lot, a bad habit I have trouble shaking.

I currently have a campaign base set up, although it only goes for one town so far as I didn't want to over plan, since my friends are all writers and I don't want to play the game of constraining them to my path. As it happens, the basic outline so far is thus: In the setting I'm developing, the dead have their souls sent to the domain of whichever god has the biggest claim to them. A patron of a certain civilization would likely get all the souls of the people who die there for example. One such civilization objected to this, leading a campaign that ended with the death of their god. Normally when a god dies or otherwise loses influence, the other gods step in and take over their domain. Unfortunately, nobody wanted to deal with team deicide, and so with no god to claim them the civilization was left with no future beyond the void.

Afraid of their fate, they turned themselves undead to put off the inevitable, but this was only a temporary solution, as the soul was not meant to be sustained for so long and they are decaying (hollowing, if it wasn't painfully obvious that I based them off of Dark Souls). They came up with a solution though, gods gain their power from the souls of the departed. Therefore, a high enough density of souls can theoretically be forged into a new god, one they can enslave and ensure a future for themselves without bound by the whims of the divine. To do this, they have set up powerful machines around the world that absorb the souls of anyone who dies nearby. The consequences of this aside, the PCs are tasked with finding out about the fact that any of this is happening (they undead civ began in ancient times, nobody knows they're still a thing, most don't know they ever existed.) and stopping them. Of course, 1st level characters aren't going to start on this immediately, they'll figure out something is going on in the sidelins as they do other quests in the world, which brings me to the start of the adventure.

The PCs will begin in city of adventure number 387, where a number of quests are available. The first is a merchant who is missing a shipment from a nearby village. The PCs are sent to investigate. When they arrive at the village, they find it deserted. If they look around, they can find the youngest of 3 sons of the lord of city 387 hiding in a building. He was returning home from college to visit only to find the village deserted, aside from several Hobgoblin bandits. At this point (or if the PCs wait long enough) a patrol of said hobs will show up. The PCs can either engage them in dialogue or confront them. If they confront, they can track down the lair of the hobs and bring them to justice. If they converse, they will find out that the hobgoblins are not responsible for the missing people, as they are a mercenary band that often buys supplies from them and were curious where they all went. Either way, they find the Hob's boss and either confront or discuss they situation with him. If the leader is killed, they can find a note detailing the hob's own investigation of the matter, leading them to a dungeon where the townsfolk are being held. If they converse with the leader, then the leader will tell them what he knows and they can join forces to investigate. The dungeon holds several mindless undead, the townsfolk all slaughtered in a strange ritual and a strange undead knight being confronted by a masked man (the BBEG). The BBEG flees the scene, leaving the PCs to deal with the knight.

The second plot hook (the one I'm more worried about) is that a nobleman from the rival family of another city is seeking mercenaries. The two cities in question are trying to repair their relations by sending teams of mixed forces to clear the countryside of bandits. Unfortunately, one of these bands has been reported to be in terrible danger, and are in need of assistance. The main issue is that the force is lead by the much beloved eldest son of city 387's nobility and his death will likely ruin any chance of alliance. The PCs are sent in to investigate wherein they will find monsters and the eldest son fighting for his life. The PCs will try and save him. Upon either saving him or failing to do so, the PCs will elave the dungeon, only to find the noble who hired them with a group of soldiers form city 387, with his own outfit matching them. The noble reveals he is the middle son trying to frame his brother's death on the other nobles to turn the rest of the kingdom against the family, as well as increase his own prestige. He has been convinced that this is a wise course of action by the BBEG, who will be accompanying him. The noble and BBEG leave again, sending the guards after the PCs and possibly the surviving eldest son. After the fight, the PCs will try and bring the middle son to justice, a task that may be easier if they have the friendship of either of the other sons. Alternatively, they might choose to flee, in which case I'll restructure the campaign to be more about their run from the law, or whatever other quests they find along the way. Either way, they then are likely suspicious of the BBEG, and will be contracted by whichever nobles remain to hunt him down. I haven't decided how this will go yet, but I feel that two campaigns with dungeons is already quite a substantial start.

Now I have a plan and I know what I need. The main problem is that I don't actually know how to set this up. How should I stat my enemies? Should I just use the mook stat array for all the non-elites? Should I be building them as if they were actual characters? What about the dungeons? I know I can use a generator for the basic map, but what about traps and the like? How many is too many? One of the players really wants puzzles to be implemented, but I'm not sure how to do that effectively. A lot of this is also made a bit difficult by the fact that one of the characters is a houseruled sprite (he was experienced and known to care more for story than gameplay, so I trust him not to be cheesy) which has a fly speed, so pitfalls and gaps are already broken. What about the undead and monster dungeons. Is there a good way to establish that? I know that CR is borked and the players are all mostly new to the system so I don't want to overwhelm them. How do I act when the PCs do something that I don't expect and I have nothing planned for what they've chosen? Yes I know I'm worrying too much, but I don't like learning through a bunch of failures. I'd rather have some basic knowledge to go off of and develop from there.

Also, the puzzle-loving PC is playing a ranger, but since he's coming from the tech area of the setting, I suggested he use a gun instead which he seems cool with. Rangers don't really have a gun fighting style though, does anyone have any advice for house ruling one?

Can anyone help me with the above problems? Sorry for the massive walls of text. It is my specialty. Beyond that, this is my first post so... Hello, one and all! Hopefully threads full of panic and excessive amounts of Times New Roman won't be my thing around here.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Pathfinder, First time DM, need advice on designing things.

Since you are a first-time DM, and want this campaign to succeed so as to stay in contact with your friends, I would recommend running a module, or pre-made adventure.

Modules are great because they typically think of things a first-time DM wouldn't, like NPC reactions to a variety of situations, more complex encounters, and the like. Plus, if you find a reasonably good one, it will be pretty likely that your game will go smoothly. If you are the creative type, modules are still good, as you can simply edit the module to make it better if you are so inclined. Plus, if you don't have much time to prepare new content for the module one week, you can fall back onto the existing content.

I'm not knocking your idea as bad, it's just that every DM has that awkward first campaign that doesn't quite come together well. Given the circumstances of your campaign, it would really suck if the game petered out.

If you are playing D&D 3.5, I'd recommend The Red Hand of Doom. It's the party waging a military campaign to save the land from an army of hobgoblins and dragons. Very LOTR, and very popular.

The World's Largest Dungeon is also nice too, but it requires much more editing on the DM's part due to much of it being mediocre. It's a gigantic dungeon crawler filled with all manner of nasties. I'm running it right now (my party and I are having a blast), so if you want tips just PM me.

If you are playing Pathfinder, I don't know many relevant modules, but I've heard that people like Rise of the Runelords.
    Last edited by Brendanicus; 2015-04-20 at 06:55 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Alas, we are playing pathfinder (primarily because it's the only rules set that is readily available to all of use without needing to track down books and the like). Although frankly, I know choosing a module would be easier but I want to build my own anyway. Maybe if things really do go poorly with my stuff I'll talk about switching to a module with my friends, but I want to at least try going at it on my own. That being said, looking over them could be a good way to see some possible player actions I don't have the experience to consider, so thank for that. Any other pieces of advice?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Thereddic View Post
    Any other pieces of advice?
    3.5 to PF conversions are quite common if you look for them.

In terms of building mooks, it's important that you know how PC's will getting their ability scores. In my circle of friends there is a precedent to build PC's with extremely powerful stat arrays, so I build all my mooks with the elite array. My boss I design from the ground up like PC's, and give them the same arrays as players.

You'll get a feel for arrays as you play the game. Try to start out with mechanically simple encounters in the beginning: Fighter-types, maybe with support from archers, blaster mages, and some animals. Make things more complicated as you master encounter-running.

Also: Always know when your encounters will surrender/run away. Different beings have different motivations.

For example: A pack of Dire Wolves would be a very difficult encounter for low-level PC's but since Dire Wolves typically hunt with the expectation of living afterwards, a pack of technically "superior" Dire wolves might retreat early, despite being able to technically "win" a fight with PC's.

Corrupt town guards can be bribed into surrender.

Even though the honor-bound Paladin will never give up, she might retreat into her temple to warn her allies of the incoming threat.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

Also, the puzzle-loving PC is playing a ranger, but since he's coming from the tech area of the setting, I suggested he use a gun instead which he seems cool with. Rangers don't really have a gun fighting style though, does anyone have any advice for house ruling one?
    Might I suggest the Gunslinger instead of a ranger.

Or if he's dead set on the Ranger, interestingly enough, the "archery" combat style doesn't necessarily mean "bow and arrows" - all the feats refer to "ranged weapons" not bows specifically. A firearm falls into the ranged weapon category.

Also, if you don't have access to this link, you should. I find it easier to navigate than the SRD.

Now I have a plan and I know what I need. The main problem is that I don't actually know how to set this up. How should I stat my enemies? Should I just use the mook stat array for all the non-elites? Should I be building them as if they were actual characters? What about the dungeons? I know I can use a generator for the basic map, but what about traps and the like? How many is too many? One of the players really wants puzzles to be implemented, but I'm not sure how to do that effectively. A lot of this is also made a bit difficult by the fact that one of the characters is a houseruled sprite (he was experienced and known to care more for story than gameplay, so I trust him not to be cheesy) which has a fly speed, so pitfalls and gaps are already broken. What about the undead and monster dungeons. Is there a good way to establish that? I know that CR is borked and the players are all mostly new to the system so I don't want to overwhelm them. How do I act when the PCs do something that I don't expect and I have nothing planned for what they've chosen? Yes I know I'm worrying too much, but I don't like learning through a bunch of failures. I'd rather have some basic knowledge to go off of and develop from there.
    Okay, A couple ideas:

1) Yes, use standard mooks for your combats until you have a better grasp of how encounters and challenge ratings should run. Here's an interesting guide (which I live and die by now) which will explain a lot about the math and mechanics behind pathfinder challenges. TL:DR A CR rating of +4 above your parties APL is a tough fight and above that, you get into the 50%/50% win-loss ratio. Challenges should range from -4 to +4 at times. If you really want to be methodical about it - start at -4 and slowly work your way up the CR ranking and see what they can handle well. Also, remember that CR is a relative system - not a definite marker so some adjusting can be made, but that comes with time and experience.

2) If you need a "boss" for a dungeon, the Advanced Template is a good one to use for any monster to make them tougher - and it's simple to apply. Use this until you're comfortable with the system enough to rebuild monsters, etc etc.

2a) alternatively, you could use This Monster Advancer/Builder to add extra Hit Die to you monsters or to give them fast templates.

3) Traps should be very rarely be a "oops, you stepped in a trap here's your damage." Traps should be a description of the environment ("the door looks shinier than it should") simple things to que your PCs into searching out and defeating the trap. And as far as your sprite - just because it can't fall down pit holes, doesn't mean that it stops other PCs from falling down - and if he/she's the only one who doesn't fall in that doesn't mean that she can pull them out easily. This RP scenario could be just as interesting as catching the sprite in a trap.

4) Now, on the topic of puzzles - videogame puzzles offer good suggestions for mindbenders (Think resident evil and the like for lock based puzzles) Also, simple cryptograms, and substitution puzzles challenge player minds as well. On the topic of riddle puzzles (and plot hooks) always have three answers which can be correct or have three different things plot hooking the pc's all leading to the same place. Always have a back-up and a back-up-back-up. lol.

5) Lastly, a piece of advice which has always worked for me - create scenarios (whether puzzles or challenges) and don't have an answer for it. Plan on your PCs beating it and go forward. The fact of the matter is that 4 people will always be smarter than one - and their combined intelligence is only exponentially expounded (results may vary). The face of the matter is that the PCs will come up with an answer which surprises you - and my spur the story into new and surprising directions.

6) Lastly, lastly - on the topic of "what do I do if the story goes off rails"? Take a few moments to yourself - consult your notes - and come back to the game. Let your players influence your world the way they like - Your story can always find it's way back. And if the PCs join your bad guys instead of you good guys - so what! Make them play through their decisions and experience all the rewards they have "earned." Your story can always find a way back into the plot the PCs have created - just be patient and wait for the opportunity to reinstate it. D&D is a cooperative storytelling game - not just one sided. Always remember that.

EDIT: I too, have wall-o-text-itus. I'm glad to see another with my condition. :D
    Last edited by Nibbens; 2015-04-20 at 12:14 PM.
    Roll some dice, make some stuff up!
    Current campaign: City of Progress Campaign Journal
    This guide!

A reading of notable information in The City of Progress, here.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Hm, I think I'm going to start pulling encounters form the Bestiary/MM when possible. Stating up a horde of enemies is time consuming. Well, unless it's an important NPC or a custom creature or something of course. Anyway, a couple more questions have come up. First off, what's a good way to handle loot? Should I just find a loot table to roll on or are those unreliable? Second of all, what's a good size to start my dungeons at? I don't want them to be too small, but I don't want to wind up having multiple sessions slogging through the halls either. Any tips on finding a good balance, or should I just play it by ear and see how my party adjusts to things?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

Hm, I think I'm going to start pulling encounters form the Bestiary/MM when possible. Stating up a horde of enemies is time consuming. Well, unless it's an important NPC or a custom creature or something of course. Anyway, a couple more questions have come up. First off, what's a good way to handle loot? Should I just find a loot table to roll on or are those unreliable? Second of all, what's a good size to start my dungeons at? I don't want them to be too small, but I don't want to wind up having multiple sessions slogging through the halls either. Any tips on finding a good balance, or should I just play it by ear and see how my party adjusts to things?
    For loot tables, I use this: Select the player level and creature type and bam! Instant treasure horde. Don't like what you see, refresh the table until you do.

Dungeon size depends on your players, however start with a ten "room" dungeon and see how long it takes your guys to handle it. (I use "room" to refer to a situation that requires something to overcome. Sometimes a room has nothing in it. So instead of "room" lets use "obstacle.") Actually time their progress, and use this as a baseline. If you guys play for 6 hours every session, maybe a three-four hour dungeon is what they like. Maybe, they like roleplay more than dungeon crawl, so you'll have to learn to accommodate that.

I make my players tell me what percentage they'd like their game to be divided between. For example I give them two options combat and story/roleplay. Some of them like 25%/75%, and some are 50%/50%. Take the median and adjust your games accordingly.
    Roll some dice, make some stuff up!
    Current campaign: City of Progress Campaign Journal
    This guide!

A reading of notable information in The City of Progress, here.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Sorry to bump this thread again, but I'm having a bit of trouble constructing the second quest for this adventure, the one with the noble trying to frame the PCs for killing his brother. I know how it ends, they find the brother fighting a monster and go to his aid, they get framed, etc. etc. I don't know how to get them there though. Should it be another dungeon? That feels like a bad plan since the brother would be at the bottom, so the dungeon would be cleared out and it would just be walking through some tunnels full of set dressing. What I've considered is making it a tracking quest, finding the brother's last campsite and finding out where he's gone from there. Problem is I don't really have any idea how that would look. Any advice?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

Have you considered having the PCs being contacted to be a part of the mission of investigation. Have the fateful encounter happen at the point where the PCs are meeting the NPC noble. The noble is trying to higher the PCs to enter a dungeon to investigate X giving the future plot hook either in victory the noble highers them or defeat there are notes of the plan scattered around.

The fateful encounter could be spawned from an item sent to the noble to investigate (but is actually a trapped summon monster/demon/your the DM it doesnt have to follow standard spell lines item) which the noble is busy working on either just prior or just as the PCs arrive. The item can come from a "Trusted" friend without the evil betraying the trust of the noble NPC. The evil can then befriend the PCs if they save the victim or frame if they did not. The item itself could be significant in the campaign or trivial and created just for the assassination attempt.

Also if the PCs do not follow up on attempted murder it gives you a chance to pull the same stunt later. Only this time you are taking away an asset they have in the noble.

If you really want to go with the dungeon idea having a split path with one way blocked is a good way to have the PCs fighting fresh threats in a race against time to circle around to save the NPC. Having a NPC lackey banging on a stone wall as the PCs arrive is a good way to add tension or better yet if you can pull it off have the PCs trigger the trap creating the split path.
    Last edited by Drork; 2015-05-06 at 06:29 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

How you get the players to encounter your elder noble under attack is going to depend a lot on where they are and where they're going. If they have to walk back from the first dungeon to the city, then you can have them notice disturbed/smashed bushes in the woods, and find the noble when they go to investigate. That'd be especially good if the middle noble's plan is for the elder sibling to a "hunting accident." If you want it to occur in a dungeon (although, how many dungeons are there just sitting around the countryside?), then maybe have the PCs enter through a different entrance than the noble and all of them leave through a third route, encountering enemies both ways.
    "A Grandmaster doesn't say he's a Grandmaster. Other people say it for him."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

I don't have any particular plan for how the quest is meant to go down, just the motivations and general circumstances, so a dungeon isn't altogether necessary. It can't be a simply hunting trip though. The older brother is questing with members of a rival family as a sign of trust to strengthen the ties between the two. The traitor brother is disguising himself as a member of the rival family in order to make it look like the rival called a hit on the older brother and use the political backlash to cover his tracks. A hunting trip with the two families wouldn't make a lot of sense. The original plan was a simple bandit hunt, although finding a dangerous artifact could also work. There ARE a number of strange magics in the setting, it wouldn't be too illogical for there to be a magical artifact in the same general region as a dungeon for the first quest.