New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: One Piece: Gear IV

Spoiler: Everybody loves Lucy?
    Show

To be frank, I'm not a huge fan of the hero worship, even if it is Lucy. I guess gatz does it more to taunt Mingo and inspire the people than anything else but it's still... it disagrees with the "Luffy is no hero" idea which I actually like.
    Viola is getting her **** handed to her and I guess she must be lucky Mingo rather plays with her and Rebecca rather than killing both fast. Just long enough to give Luffy a Big Damn Hero moment.
    Sadly, no appearance of Pink. And... what did Law do again?

Also: No OP next week makes Kato something something
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Show

To be frank, I'm not a huge fan of the hero worship, even if it is Lucy. I guess gatz does it more to taunt Mingo and inspire the people than anything else but it's still... it disagrees with the "Luffy is no hero" idea which I actually like.
    Viola is getting her **** handed to her and I guess she must be lucky Mingo rather plays with her and Rebecca rather than killing both fast. Just long enough to give Luffy a Big Damn Hero moment.

Spoiler
    Show
    Luffy is a hero though, just because he doesn't feel he is doesn't change the opinions of the people he effects. He's come and saved an entire island. He's going to be a hero to it's people. It'd be weird if they weren't cheering for him.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler: Law
    Show
    He used shambles to swap the position of Luffy and Violet.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Show

Spoiler
    Show
    It is cheesy sure, but the wrestling fan in me was wanting to cheer Lucy's name as the countdown was going down.

There are few moments, as great as than the biggest face in the company gathering energy from the fan's in the crowd.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Aaaaand we're back, I pmed a mod and they fixed it up, so lets all make sure to say thank you to Douglas before returning to talking about how corny this chapter was. (It kinda reminded me of afro-Luffy)
    Last edited by chainer1216; 2015-06-06 at 06:06 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Colossus in the Playground

Thank you.

This chapter was great because the announcer was basically announcing Luffy like a wrestle announcer...which fits perfectly with how the Colosseum was presented.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

People I know are complaining that One Piece is dragging but frankly the pacing of this arc has been amazing. A little sad we won't get a chapter next week but if Oda isn't jerking us around watching Doffy go down in a One Hit K.O is going to be nothing short of the best moment in One Piece.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Orc in the Playground

One Piece dragging? Is it because of the chapter count? They obviously haven't read Hajime No Ippo.

I agree that the pacing has been amazing, as well. Unlike Bleach, for instance.

watching Doffy go down in a One Hit K.O is going to be nothing short of the best moment in One Piece.
    Very well said!

9. - Top - End - #99
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I get the feeling this arc would be better off being read in a single sitting as opposed to piecemeal over ~2 years.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Dasgovernator View Post
    I get the feeling this arc would be better off being read in a single sitting as opposed to piecemeal over ~2 years.
    Over 2 years, since Punk Hazard was effectively tied into this arc as well.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Eagle View Post
    One Piece dragging? Is it because of the chapter count? They obviously haven't read Hajime No Ippo.

I agree that the pacing has been amazing, as well. Unlike Bleach, for instance.

Very well said!
    Well, this Saga has taken quite a while to be fair and a few chapters have been a little brief on actual content so I can see where they're coming from but yes compared to other manga like Bleach or Toriko it's nothing.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Well, this Saga has taken quite a while to be fair and a few chapters have been a little brief on actual content so I can see where they're coming from but yes compared to other manga like Bleach or Toriko it's nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasgovernator View Post
    Razade, what Dasgovernator said. It'll make more sense as a whole as opposed to bits and pieces every one week or so.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Eagle View Post
    Razade, what Dasgovernator said. It'll make more sense as a whole as opposed to bits and pieces every one week or so.
    I agree, it's not my argument

14. - Top - End - #104
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Regarding the final blow, I'm not sure why but a few nights ago I had a dream that this final attack would involve Mingo getting megapunched back like 5 times DBZ style until he flew into the ocean, possibly dragging his Birdcage with him as he collides into it from the sheer force of the impacts.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I think the biggest distinguishing feature of this arc is that the population all know who they are, unlike Alubarna. I will personally be glad when this arc ends, it just failed to strike the right chords for me
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

16. - Top - End - #106
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I think the biggest distinguishing feature of this arc is that the population all know who they are, unlike Alubarna. I will personally be glad when this arc ends, it just failed to strike the right chords for me
    Well yeah, we're to the part of the world where the World Government can't offer protection to all of the islands. Luffy is clearly taking Dressrosa as his territory after this is over.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well, that would make two islands his protectorate... Which seems fair. He's on the path to becoming a Yonkou. First Fishman Island, now Dressorosa. I imagine Wano will be next, or wherever Big Mom is stationed. Maybe she's in Wano, who knows. But then there's Kaidou.

I see some complaints of pacing in this arc, but honestly, for me, it's because Oda rushed some things. I haven't really been made sad by One Piece since the time skip, there hasn't been enough time devoted to building the background of characters properly. Where are the tear jerkers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

18. - Top - End - #108

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Well, that would make two islands his protectorate... Which seems fair. He's on the path to becoming a Yonkou. First Fishman Island, now Dressorosa. I imagine Wano will be next, or wherever Big Mom is stationed. Maybe she's in Wano, who knows. But then there's Kaidou.

I see some complaints of pacing in this arc, but honestly, for me, it's because Oda rushed some things. I haven't really been made sad by One Piece since the time skip, there hasn't been enough time devoted to building the background of characters properly. Where are the tear jerkers?
    Did you skip Law's flashback entirely or something? Maybe the characters just aren't resonating with you or something.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

I kinda doubt Wano will become his protectorate, it has been described as one of the very few islands who could remain independent, due to the extreme strenght of their Samurai.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Did you skip Law's flashback entirely or something? Maybe the characters just aren't resonating with you or something.
    Also, Seņor Pink's. So hard boiled. *Swoons*

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I actually couldn't get into either of those backgrounds. Not like the crew, who are all extremely tragic.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I actually couldn't get into either of those backgrounds. Not like the crew, who are all extremely tragic.
    I'd say Law's more tragic than half the crew.

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mage View Post
    I'd say Law's more tragic than half the crew.
    Objectively sure. I just never got into his back story.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I actually like plenty of the backstories in this arc. Not necessarily tearjerkers (certainly not Doffy's), but I liked how the stories of Kyros, Law, Seņor Pink, and even Doffy were written.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Senor Pink gets double points for being completely unexpected, like go back to when the arc is first starting and say "The guy in a baby bonnet and diapers will have the best backstory of Mingo's crew" and you will get called crazy.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    Senor Pink gets double points for being completely unexpected, like go back to when the arc is first starting and say "The guy in a baby bonnet and diapers will have the best backstory of Mingo's crew" and you will get called crazy.
    If you tell half the stuff that happens in OP to anyone, you will be called crazy

But... yeah, I'm usually rarely an emotional person, but just in the context of a single story told in one chapter, intercut with fight scenes, Pink's backstory must be among the best chapters of any manga I have ever read. I can't even explain why, but it really worked for me.

(Also, Tvtyrant, a backstory doesn't need to be extremely tragic to be good. With that logic you get things like Elfenlied )
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

27. - Top - End - #117

If you tell half the stuff that happens in OP to anyone, you will be called crazy

But... yeah, I'm usually rarely an emotional person, but just in the context of a single story told in one chapter, intercut with fight scenes, Pink's backstory must be among the best chapters of any manga I have ever read. I can't even explain why, but it really worked for me.

(Also, Tvtyrant, a backstory doesn't need to be extremely tragic to be good. With that logic you get things like Elfenlied )
    Yeah, Senor Pink's is just...really solid. I even liked Baby 5's backstory, ESPECIALLY when I realized just why she's called Baby 5, considering the context of her back story. Holy crap.

Yeah the last thing we need is more Elfenlied.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

We interrupt this drought of discussion to bring you breaking news! A new episode of the anime has been released, showing us the beginning of Usopp's use of Observation Haki, and taking down Sugar with his face for the second time! It's interesting that Haki use, when untrained, seems to manifest during times of great stress/when an extraordinary feat needs to take place. It really makes you wonder what happened to get Zoro and Sanji to first manifest their Armament Haki (unless you count things like Sanji's fire or Zoro's demon heads as Haki use, which is entirely possible at this point!).

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

I usually describe One Piece by telling people about Ivankov, now a days I have switched to "it is about Pirates, and a guy who has rubber powers, and there is a guy in a baby bonnet..who is the most awesome person in existence, trust me it is that sort of series"

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

We interrupt this drought of discussion to bring you breaking news! A new episode of the anime has been released, showing us the beginning of Usopp's use of Observation Haki, and taking down Sugar with his face for the second time! It's interesting that Haki use, when untrained, seems to manifest during times of great stress/when an extraordinary feat needs to take place. It really makes you wonder what happened to get Zoro and Sanji to first manifest their Armament Haki (unless you count things like Sanji's fire or Zoro's demon heads as Haki use, which is entirely possible at this point!).
    Zorro's first use of Haki were likely much earlier, during his fight with Mr 1, where he got a brief glimpse of complete awareness and used it to slice the previously invulnerable metal body.
    And besides the process of manifesting Haki most likely being much different depending on if you do it out of desperation or by the urgings of a trainer, then i certainly count those things are Haki manifestations.
    We have directly seen another Haki user ignite her body in a simular way to Sanji.

I usually describe One Piece by telling people about Ivankov, now a days I have switched to "it is about Pirates, and a guy who has rubber powers, and there is a guy in a baby bonnet..who is the most awesome person in existence, trust me it is that sort of series"
    I cannot disagree strongly enough with this part myself though, imo he doesnt even clear his way into the top 10 list of awesome people.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar