New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: One Piece: Gear IV

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    No, no translation I've seen makes it seem like that. One says "I'm glad to be their contemporary" which just means "Glad to be one of their equals" [...]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Doesn't that mean more like "I'm glad to live at the same time as they do"?

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

New anime episode out now, this week we got Law's backstory with White Town and boy howdy they did not hold back from displaying the carnage. Granted there's no guts flying around, this is still One Piece, but we see wave after wave of death and destruction and just all kinds of things that would make a normal person go mad, ending off with Law stabbing Corazon with a knife in present day.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sigh View Post
    New anime episode out now, this week we got Law's backstory with White Town and boy howdy they did not hold back from displaying the carnage. Granted there's no guts flying around, this is still One Piece, but we see wave after wave of death and destruction and just all kinds of things that would make a normal person go mad, ending off with Law stabbing Corazon with a knife in present day.
    I really hope they showed the field of death orphans.

4. - Top - End - #184

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I really hope they showed the field of death orphans.
    It was smoky for a solid 20 seconds but they cleared it up to show them before moving on to the mansion burning, yes.

5. - Top - End - #185

PirateGuy

Also putting this in a separate post because it deserves it but for those of you unaware there are guys on Youtube that make swords and other weapons from popular media, and recently they made Mihawk's sword. Figured I'd share it for those interested.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Spoiler: 794
    Show
    Wasn't expecting to see Doflamingo on the cover page. I do like the Wizard of Oz thing he has though.
    Sabo with Amnesia? I guess it was sort of expected. Its a little hard to believe that Ace's death was the first time a prominent member of the revolutionaries heard about him (or Luffy for that matter).
    "Also, you keep calling me Luffy but you're mistaken! Look closely at this beard! I'm Lucy!" is one of my favorite lines of the arc now.
    I wonder what's up with the Crows? I'm betting its some kind of DF, but hell if I know. It might be Dragon's doing somehow.
    Finally . . . are Sanji & Co safe? The rest of the crew seems to have completely forgotten about them, or at least prioritize listening to Sabo's back story more than doing something about them. The introduction of the Crows seems to suggest that they do have a way of going after them (especially Zoro, who is still presumably fresh), and their utter lack of concern seems off-putting without an explanation for the audience.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Does every story ever
    Show

... need someone to have amnesia? I mean, it's a decent explanation for why Sabo wasn't at Marineford but "the revolutionaries put him in chains to keep him safe" could have also worked. Or "Sabo is not as crazy as Luffy".

Otherwise... not much to add to the previous post. Dragon seems unlikely to control the crows, though. Maybe Sabo's just a bird whisperer. A bit little content on the chapter but oh well.

And on regard to the others... I don't think they have a reason to worry. As far as they know, they're somewhere on sea chilling, no? I mean, we are excited how things went with Mom, but they don't know about that, do they?
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

8. - Top - End - #188

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Spoiler: Does every story ever
    Show

... need someone to have amnesia? I mean, it's a decent explanation for why Sabo wasn't at Marineford but "the revolutionaries put him in chains to keep him safe" could have also worked. Or "Sabo is not as crazy as Luffy".

Otherwise... not much to add to the previous post. Dragon seems unlikely to control the crows, though. Maybe Sabo's just a bird whisperer. A bit little content on the chapter but oh well.

And on regard to the others... I don't think they have a reason to worry. As far as they know, they're somewhere on sea chilling, no? I mean, we are excited how things went with Mom, but they don't know about that, do they?
    Spoiler
    Show
    WEll actually, the big mafia don pirate guy said he was going after Ceaser. Sanji's group has Ceaser. And if you look carefully you can see the hints of Big Mam's flag on their ship. So they may actually be in danger.

9. - Top - End - #189

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    WEll actually, the big mafia don pirate guy said he was going after Ceaser. Sanji's group has Ceaser. And if you look carefully you can see the hints of Big Mam's flag on their ship. So they may actually be in danger.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Honestly, it probably hasn't been that long since Doflamingo was defeated. Less than a day, maybe. The crew simply has to stop and take a breather. Usopp, Luffy, Law, and Bartolomeo are in absolutely no condition to be going anywhere. Franky and Robin are pretty beat up as well. Zoro and Kine'mon are the only two ready to do anything major, and we don't even know how strong Kine'mon is. Clearly, they aren't teaming up with Sabo's particular branch of the Revolutionaries either. A quick tale from Luffy's second brother isn't uncalled for, though I wish they hadn't gone with the amnesia route.

Also, exactly what transportation do they have?
    Last edited by Suichimo; 2015-07-15 at 12:28 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler: Chapter 794
    Show
    Well whether we like the amnesia angle or not it explains why Sabo didn't return to Goa Kingdom. Hopefully, we'll get some forward momentum in the next chapter.
    Wizard's First Rule: People will believe anything, either because they want it to be true, or they are afraid it is true.

11. - Top - End - #191

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LordRahl6 View Post
    Spoiler: Chapter 794
    Show
    Well whether we like the amnesia angle or not it explains why Sabo didn't return to Goa Kingdom. Hopefully, we'll get some forward momentum in the next chapter.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Why would he have returned in the first place? He hated it, the entire reason he ran in to Dragon is because he decided to leave the island as a pirate first. Even if he didn't have amnesia, he wouldn't have gone back there for anything short of visiting Dadan.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Why would he have returned in the first place? He hated it, the entire reason he ran in to Dragon is because he decided to leave the island as a pirate first. Even if he didn't have amnesia, he wouldn't have gone back there for anything short of visiting Dadan.
    Like maybe letting his brothers know he were not dead?

Amnesia is really more or less the only thing that could explain why he did not try and contact any of them.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

13. - Top - End - #193

PirateGuy

In any case, just popping it to say that we got a new batch of English Dubbed episodes via Funimation, kicking off the first third-half or so of Sabaody. I really like the voices they chose for each of the members of the Big Bad 11, and while I was prepared to dislike the voice they chose for Law (I thought they would go a completely different direction, more dry) the guy they got for him did a fine job IMO.

I also like how the Dragons all have these snobby English accents, really fits the bill from an American standpoint.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I have thought about this every since Ace/Saboo/Luffy flashback. I wonder if, just before the final climatic arc, Luffy will share cups of sake with the rest of the Strawhats.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    I have thought about this every since Ace/Saboo/Luffy flashback. I wonder if, just before the final climatic arc, Luffy will share cups of sake with the rest of the Strawhats.
    If they do, will they buy it from a man named Binkes?

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Im not sure they will, but then again im not sure they need to.

Already being crewmembers under the same pirate flag does seem to be considered more or less as strong a bond as that.

17. - Top - End - #197

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Like maybe letting his brothers know he were not dead?

Amnesia is really more or less the only thing that could explain why he did not try and contact any of them.
    It's not exactly like the phrase "Sorry I let you think I was dead." is uncommon in anime.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

It's not exactly like the phrase "Sorry I let you think I was dead." is uncommon in anime.
    Sorry, but i just cant in any way see how this is relevant to that subject.

There are a lot of extremely stupid things that not nearly uncommon enough in anime.

19. - Top - End - #199

PirateGuy

Another week, another episode, and we progress this week with most of Doflamingo's backstory ending with Corazon learning of Law's D.

(not apologizing for that)

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Another week, another episode, and we progress this week with most of Doflamingo's backstory ending with Corazon learning of Law's D.

Its fine. We did plenty of that already.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Pfft we have already talked about Law's D. and how much Corazon and Mingo obsessed over it.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

Having been rereading through One Piece for the past month or so, I really have to say, the Dressrosa arc is significalty better in one sitting. I had a lot of trouble keeping on top of what was happening over the massive amount of real-life time it took, but reading it straight through from start to finish is much better.

23. - Top - End - #203

PirateGuy

Going back to the latest batch of the English dub for a sec, it surprised me just how much I'd misread the subbed version of Duval's backstory, before Funimation set things straight I thought the dude was just another Helmeppo (aka son of the man in charge of that town) until the Navy found him. Maybe it was just the translation I watched but this whole time I thought that was the case up until about a week ago.

24. - Top - End - #204

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    Having been rereading through One Piece for the past month or so, I really have to say, the Dressrosa arc is significalty better in one sitting. I had a lot of trouble keeping on top of what was happening over the massive amount of real-life time it took, but reading it straight through from start to finish is much better.
    That's literally the definition of One Piece, in all honesty. It IS great, but it's so much better reading it all at once.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

Seriously. Even the arcs I didn't really enjoy (mainly Thriller Bark and the Davy Back Fight) were fun to run through in one sitting.

It was really sad to watch Sanji's deterioration over time, though. Reading through the manga makes puts his painful, gradual transition from a cool/competent/badass "smart guy" type back towards the Alabastia Arc and the following arcs to... What he is now. He's one of my favorite characters, and I wish his characterization hadn't drifted so much.

26. - Top - End - #206

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    Seriously. Even the arcs I didn't really enjoy (mainly Thriller Bark and the Davy Back Fight) were fun to run through in one sitting.

It was really sad to watch Sanji's deterioration over time, though. Reading through the manga makes puts his painful, gradual transition from a cool/competent/badass "smart guy" type back towards the Alabastia Arc and the following arcs to... What he is now. He's one of my favorite characters, and I wish his characterization hadn't drifted so much.
    I think it's less drifting and more him kind of getting sent to a magical fairyland of okama that scared him for life. It's silly and dumb but I still think we have our cool, badass Sanji. He's still smart too.

The thing I feel with Sanji is that...maybe it's because of that "Call me Prince" scenario in Alabasta, but I think there's more to Sanji then we think.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

It seems to me that Oda just didn't want Sanji to be as bland as Zorro at the time, and thus had to inject more of the reverse-Casanova trait in him...and the dosage turned out to be too much.

But I dunno, his fights since the TS still look pretty kickass, except for that one against Vergo. Out of combat, the last memorable cool moment he had for me also had him knocked out cold by zorro.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

I think it's less drifting and more him kind of getting sent to a magical fairyland of okama that scared him for life. It's silly and dumb but I still think we have our cool, badass Sanji. He's still smart too.

The thing I feel with Sanji is that...maybe it's because of that "Call me Prince" scenario in Alabasta, but I think there's more to Sanji then we think.
    Yeah, poor Sanji spend a few years in hell, of course that is going to mentally scar him, but i honestly dont think he has changed as such in any noticeable way.
    Its just that after the timeskip the crew has gotten really crowded, and the new people have drawn focus away from the old hands.

Else, no offence, but i think your letting personal bias affect reasoning there in regard to the "call me Prince thing", all it means is that Sanji is cool, suave and by far the smartest member of the monster trio, so he can easily figure out that using a false name can be a smart thing.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

The problem with Sanji since the time skip was that he really . . . hasn't done much. I mean, he sat out most of Fishman Island with his nosebleed problem, then took out a lot of fodder and had to double-team a guy with Jinbe. Then on PH he got captured, got body-switched, and then lost to Vergo. Then on Dressrosa he immediatly fell for a woman, got captured, saved himself only by virture of his own perversion, then rushed out to get stomped by Doflamingo and then bugger off for the rest of the arc. Compare that to Zoro, who I'm pretty sure hasn't taken a serious hit from anyone yet, and has taken out a big bad on every island they've been to so far.

Oda is probably going for a running joke about Sanji being the most anonymous member of the crew (he was conveniently removed from the island before the SH's presence was well known and I'm betting he's not getting a bounty increase or a pic in the news as a result), but it would be nice to see him kicking ass and taking names for a change.

Like say . . . against an established threat that was last seen hounding the group of SHs he's currently with.

30. - Top - End - #210

PirateGuy

I'm fairly confident that after Luffy wakes up we're going to get some kind of flashback or rewind to see what happened with Sanji and the rest of the crew. Alternatively Oda could troll us hardcore by not showing us that until the crew reunites, which will likely take a while given the circumstances.