New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Iaijutsu master build.

Well after reading another long...and somewhat disturbing post...I am interested in making a Iaijutsu user again. I know the basic tricks of it but just want some advice.
    Only three things are mandatory- samurai (OA-rokugan-cw, use whatever one), iaijutus master, and a katana.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Iaijutsu master build.

I think this might LOWER the overall power but I love how many things come together just from Intelligence.

The Smartest Swordsman in the Room
    OA Samurai 2 / Swashbuckler 3 / Iaijutsu Master 2 / Warblade 3 / Eternal Blade 10

Intelligence to just about everything, you can add weird stuff to your sword, you have skills for a little bit, replace Grace with the ability go cast Blur from Arcane Stunt so you can lose the armor if you want for that Iaijutsu Master ability that functions without armor.

And I just like the idea of using Iaijutsu skill checks with those standard action Diamond Mind strikes.

I know some of you play in high power games, but this guy would have fit in perfectly in the power level of games I used to run and play in.

3. - Top - End - #3

As a lower power game this is freaking great. I will need you to explain how iaijutsu functions with diamond mind

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by j_spencer93 View Post
    As a lower power game this is freaking great. I will need you to explain how iaijutsu functions with diamond mind
    The same way it functions with anything else. Iaijutsu Focus allows you to make a check whenever you strike a flat-footed opponent after drawing a melee weapon. If you draw a melee weapon and then perform a Diamond Mind strike against a flat-footed opponent, you can use Iaijutsu Focus, just like normal. It simply tacks on extra damage.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

In regards to Diamond Mind, the one strike you really need is Sapphire Nightmare Blade, since it allows you to make a concentration check vs. a DC = the opponent's AC to treat them as flat-footed and gain bonus damage, which will fulfill the most difficult part of optimizing for IF damage.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Something to have in mind, Iai-jutsu masters 5th level ability is utterly brutal. More so if you tac on a level of Marshel for the Motivate Cha aura. Double Cha mod to damage per Damage Die Dealt as well as to the skill check to determine the number of damage die dealt. Yes please.
    "I Burn!"

7. - Top - End - #7

that marshal trick sounds nice.
    As for diamond mind, i didn't really see any synergy beyond the basics but sapphire nightmare blade seems to be pretty good.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

On rounds were you Win Initiative, Emerald Razor Strike is great for making sure you tag that target. He's flat footed, and it's a touch attack. Yeah, congrats, you only need a net total of 10 to hit. Which means anything you have as a bonus to hit above that is pure Power Attack fodder. Your only getting one swip a round, might as well make it one that's gonna hurt. Speaking of, the 4th level maneuver that doubles your damage and the 8th level one that quadruples it are also REALLY nice since I think they even multiply the damage form Iai-jutsu focus. Combine with Iai-jutsu master 5 and Marshel 1 and that's gonna be a REALLY brutal opener.

The concentration counters are also nice for keeping casters form obliterating you.
    "I Burn!"

9. - Top - End - #9

since this is a NPC my players will fight...i think its safe to say they freaking hate you lol

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by j_spencer93 View Post
    that marshal trick sounds nice.
    As for diamond mind, i didn't really see any synergy beyond the basics but sapphire nightmare blade seems to be pretty good.
    The higher-level versions multiply your damage instead of treating the target as flat-footed, which includes your Iaijutsu Focus damage if your foe is already flat-footed.

EDIT: Swordsage'd.
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2015-04-21 at 06:27 PM.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think the Diamond Mind multiplier maneuvers multiply Iaijutsu damage, since Iaijutsu damage is in the form of d6s, and there's a general rule that you multiply flat numbers but not dice (beyond the normal weapon damage dice). PHB pg. 134:

Quote Originally Posted by PHB pg. 134
    "Exception: Extra damage dice over and above a weapon’s normal damage, such as that dealt by a sneak attack or the special ability of a flaming sword, are never multiplied."
    That doesn't only apply to crits. It should apply to Ruby Nightmare Blade and Diamond Nightmare Blade too.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

12. - Top - End - #12

That does sound right