New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Fallen London 3 - "The God-Eaters"

So, i finally got enough archeology to start an expedition to the tomb of seven.
    But how much watchful do i need to have a chance of completing the expedition?
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

well, lost the ToL twice now. if anybody wants a crack at me at 1, you're more then welcome.
    also, good ways to get making waves so i can get that first point of notablity?

thanks to thecrimsonmage for the awesome avatar... you rock, dude.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DemonicAngel View Post
    well, lost the ToL twice now. if anybody wants a crack at me at 1, you're more then welcome.
    also, good ways to get making waves so i can get that first point of notablity?
    Inviting people for coffee/private suppers and using your salon/orphanage when the card comes. Several item conversion also give decent amounts of MW.

Also, the first point shouldn't be a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

4. - Top - End - #214

I meant the 2nd point, as appearntly i missed the fact that i already have one
    My bad! Divath you're awesome! thanks!

so really, the only things that interests me now is getting the zubmarine, but its gonna take so much time...
    Last edited by DemonicAngel; 2015-05-13 at 11:44 AM.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

Where is the best place to farm souls or brilliant souls? I did some research and several people say the Flit, but I don't see any of the options they were talking about. Figured I'd start grinding out souls/brilliant souls/muscaria brandy for the Brass Embassy Lodgings once I get done my Archaeological digs(About to hit level 4 for Archaeology).

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Where is the best place to farm souls or brilliant souls? I did some research and several people say the Flit, but I don't see any of the options they were talking about. Figured I'd start grinding out souls/brilliant souls/muscaria brandy for the Brass Embassy Lodgings once I get done my Archaeological digs(About to hit level 4 for Archaeology).
    You need to get some Casing via the "Preparing for a big score" storylet (the best option is the one that requires a Gang of Hoodlums, if you don't have it, consider grinding for that first) to unlock the "Thefts of Particular Character" one (which is source of brilliant souls, bazaar permits, antique mysteries, muscardia brandy, journals of infamy and tales of terror - depending on the option you choose)

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

I think the faster option is probably grinding Bottled Souls in Spite and purchasing a Guest Room on the Burning Shadows card, but that would depend on how connected you are with the devils of London.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Plerumque View Post
    I think the faster option is probably grinding Bottled Souls in Spite and purchasing a Guest Room on the Burning Shadows card, but that would depend on how connected you are with the devils of London.
    Seeing how he mentioned Muscardia Brandy, I think that is the plan - and I'm not sure if the thefts aren't actually faster.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Anyone feel like playing a lot of chess? i need a lot of sudden insights to complete my expedition to the tomb of seven.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, let's see. My calculations may be off, but 500 Brilliant Souls plus 100 Muscaria Brandy should require around 20500 Bottled Souls. You can probably get that in under 400 actions, as grinding in Spite provides 1-120 per action. If you steal Brilliant Soul instead, it'll take around 10 actions with a Gang of Hoodlums to get 25 Brilliant Souls, which would get you the Brilliant Souls you need in 200 actions, but you need another 200 actions for the Muscaria Brandy, so it comes out around even- depends on how the random chance for tricking spirifers pans out, but as long as it's not weighted towards the lesser results tricking spirifers should come out ahead.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Plerumque View Post
    Well, let's see. My calculations may be off, but 500 Brilliant Souls plus 100 Muscaria Brandy should require around 20500 Bottled Souls
    I may be mistaken, but I think it will require more. 100 Brandy requires a second set of 500 Brilliant Souls. 500 Amanita Sherries convert to 105 BS, so you need a total of 5000 of those (and will be left with 50 BS), and that will cost 25000 regular Souls (as 500 of those give 100 Sherries). You also need to include the action cost of converting the stuff (50 actions to turn Bottled Souls into Sherry, 10 to convert that into Brilliant Souls and 10 to get the Brandy - for a total of 70 actions).
    Last edited by Divayth Fyr; 2015-05-14 at 05:22 PM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, I did the math wrong- dug out some notes from a while ago and didn't bother to double-check them. Stealing is probably better, then, though the random element still makes it difficult to be certain. And I will point out that converting Souls gives a net increase in connections with Hell, while converting Brilliant Souls results in a decrease.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm, how used/useful are Night Whispers? I keep getting them from my Arch digs(up to 6 now) and since they are worth 62.50 Echoes, I'm tempted to sell them. The Wikia I looked them up on said they are used for 6 different storylets, one of which is Christmas only, another is for an Ambition(not mine), another IS for my Ambition, and requires 4 of them as well as a hell of a lot of other expensive stuff. The other uses are for stuff I don't think I'll ever use them for.

So in the end I'm thinking as long as I keep 4 I can sell off the excess for a tidy profit.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, how used/useful are Night Whispers? I keep getting them from my Arch digs(up to 6 now) and since they are worth 62.50 Echoes, I'm tempted to sell them. The Wikia I looked them up on said they are used for 6 different storylets, one of which is Christmas only, another is for an Ambition(not mine), another IS for my Ambition, and requires 4 of them as well as a hell of a lot of other expensive stuff. The other uses are for stuff I don't think I'll ever use them for.
    Night Whispers are one of the things I would keep unless I had a dozen or so - we don't know when they might become useful, and all the options that may give you one have a random element.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Firbolg in the Playground

So in the end I'm thinking as long as I keep 4 I can sell off the excess for a tidy profit.
    I'd say keep at least one more than you think you'll need (At least half of the uses were added this year, so they very well may be used for new content). Perhaps keep all of them as they are quite useful at Christmas.

Still, as a general rule, I save anything worth more than 12.5 echoes if it can't be bought at the Bazaar, so I may be too cautious.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

Polythreme is a blight.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

Alrighty everyone, I need some serious help. I've reached the cave of Nadir, only to be told I need either a Ray-Drenched CInder, which I can only get if I shell out 400 Echoes(ouch, I have 35), or 100 connected Revolutionaries, OR I can use 5 Eyeless Skulls.

So after some research I've found I can find the eyeless skulls either via the searching the forgotten quarter action, or how I found my first with the Shrine of Blue Heaven trip. If I go this route I"ll likely end up doing a combo of the two, since apparently most of the actions for Searching turn up 170ish whispered secrets, so I can just use those to fund the expeditions.

I also found that apparently as a PoSI I can apparently be making 2 echoes an action? How in the hell is that even remotely possible? This one thread I read stated that a PoSI can, if they grind enough and efficiently(144 turns a day) make 400 echoes in 2 days flat, 3 if you require sleep, lol. So what actions could I be doing that would earn me even remotely near that much? I mean the searching the forgotten quarter can give up to 170 WS, but that's still not 2 echoes an action, and it's not every action. If nothing else I'd like to know this because there are several equippable items I'd like to buy still ^^

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

I believe that getting candles through the Affair of the Box is the most profitable grind.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    I believe that getting candles through the Affair of the Box is the most profitable grind.
    Hmm, that means I need to keep grinding until I have my Kingmaker attribute up to 40, but after that I guess that's what I'll do when I need echoes.

20. - Top - End - #230

The affair of the box only gives 1.63 echoes/action on the side of the revolutionaries, 1.42 on the side of the masters (funny the masters pay worse). I don't know of a consistent way to grind 2 echoes/action.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Boxful of Intrigues gives up to 1.64 echo/action. Grinding the War of Assassins can give 1.78, but requires drawing the Tomb Colonies card. When grinding for money you should always play some of the cards.

For the record, I'll mention that looking for curios has gotten me enough Skulls to get 3 Cinders, send some Skulls away and sell even more.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Arrgggg!!!!!! ffs!

I were overtaken at the very last step by rivals in the quest for the tomb of 7, after having spend just about all my supplies, and at least 9 sudden insights on rerolls!

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

Such is the way of things in FL - be happy, it wasn't the expedition for the Cave of the Nadir ;P

I would like to thank the nameless rat who "donated" her watch to my cause.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

At least i can grind my Watchful up a bit now im stuck grinding for new supplies.

Anyone interested in the making waves that comes from repeatedly beating me in chess? i do need to restack on sudden insights.

25. - Top - End - #235

well, I just screwed up. big time. I had 30 connected: criminals and was about to use it to get my diamonds for the bewjelled lens for my zubmarine. and i clicked on the wrong option. and lost all my connected criminals. and i'm considered a turncoat now.

there goes the grind again...

26. - Top - End - #236

Quote Originally Posted by DemonicAngel View Post
    well, I just screwed up. big time. I had 30 connected: criminals and was about to use it to get my diamonds for the bewjelled lens for my zubmarine. and i clicked on the wrong option. and lost all my connected criminals. and i'm considered a turncoat now.

there goes the grind again...
    Being a turncoat isn't too bad. Once it reaches 4, it gives you some Affair of the Box issues, and costs some Connected: Revolutionaries or Connected: Masters (I always lose connected: Revolutionaries because it is easier much to gain), but then it goes away. Still, shame about the waste of connected: Criminals, they're really hard to grind too.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Anyone interested in the making waves that comes from repeatedly beating me in chess? i do need to restack on sudden insights.
    Feel free to send some.

Though if you need that many sudden insights, perhaps working on your Watchful a bit more before pursuing the expedition would help? Maybe even burn some insights (once you have them) to boost the stat?

Quote Originally Posted by rweird View Post
    Still, shame about the waste of connected: Criminals, they're really hard to grind too.
    It is tedious, boring and takes a lot of actions, but not exactly hard ;P

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rweird View Post
    Still, shame about the waste of connected: Criminals, they're really hard to grind too.
    Not really. Just spend some time in the flit, grind the casing, then give it to a criminal colleague.

29. - Top - End - #239

and as my uck would have it, i get my first eyeless skull. first card drawn afterwards is offcourse one of the menaces.
    guess i'm selling it and going for the 400 echoes option?

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ettin in the Playground

To deal with those cards I let them accumulate until I had three and then went pickpocketing or let one of my menaces reach 8. I don't know if that's actually an efficient way to deal with them, though.