New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish Shive III - Totally Adorkable!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    no its Order. I imagine immortals get pretty bored over such long periods of time, so they concoct various opposing symmetrical relationships to conflict with each other on to liven things up, so one plays Chaos, the other plays Order just to make their lives interesting, and act as if they're fundamental things even if they're not.
    That would be a theory with no basis in the comic, except that we've actually got evidence against it: the only even slightly chaotic thing Pandora has done is deciding to mark Tedd on a whim, to be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Pandora does want to shake up the status quo, which does seem fairly chaotic.

That said, if this immortal is named 'Order' I will eat my hat. With ketchup. And post pictures.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Pandora does want to shake up the status quo, which does seem fairly chaotic.

That said, if this immortal is named 'Order' I will eat my hat. With ketchup. And post pictures.
    She wants to shake up the status quo by her own careful planning, with just enough left out of her control to keep things interesting - we even get dialogue making the point that she knows the things that might happen from her plans, even if she doesn't know which (her monologue about not-seeing-this-coming after she marks Tedd).
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #274
    Barbarian in the Playground

Mall storyline is best storyline!
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

That... is a pretty cool page.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Mormegil View Post
    Mall storyline is best storyline!
    Amazing what a month will do to opinions, eh? This thread was hating on this storyline something fierce not that long ago.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Hate" might be a bit strong a word for it. Personally, i liked it.. and of course this development is great, but it's just the opposite for my emotions: apprehension and fear, instead of warm, happy fuzziness.

Spoiler: Spoilered before
    Show
    * Ash is an adorable girl, not going to lie, but if she can't keep up she should learn not to step up. Seeing Elliot in a life-and-death fight with a gryphon could prove real enough to dissuade her from pushing further into a world she's not equipped for. I severely doubt that's the case, but some hope must be held for the Elliot/Susan shippers.

Dang it, Calemyr, i was just about to get really over it..
    Huckster-Avatar by Mehoaido from DeviantArt. And yes, the cat is called "Salem".

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    That would be a theory with no basis in the comic, except that we've actually got evidence against it: the only even slightly chaotic thing Pandora has done is deciding to mark Tedd on a whim, to be nice.
    Tis the RESULTS of Chaos that matter. a carefully planned thing that ends with everything going completely crazy sounds Chaotic to me.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

9. - Top - End - #279
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Amazing what a month will do to opinions, eh? This thread was hating on this storyline something fierce not that long ago.
    Not me! I always liked it!

(I was hating the card tournament one before interesting stuff happen, and I still think too many things were happening in that one, and at least a couple could have been skipped. Mostly the annoying ones)
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

(I was hating the card tournament one before interesting stuff happen, and I still think too many things were happening in that one, and at least a couple could have been skipped. Mostly the annoying ones)
    As someone who started E.G.S. after that arc was mostly finished, I think that it reads through pretty well as an entire arc.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

Oh wow I love that first panel. Ashley's response is just like, "DOES NOT COMPUTE. 404 ERROR APPROPRIATE REACTION NOT FOUND"

Still a fairly fun chapter if not much happening plot progression wise. My bet on why Cheerledra can fight while flying well is that she needs to hold that fist in front of her pose in order to fly fast enough to dodge. Can't really use any of her martial arts in that pose
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Stormrage View Post
    Still a fairly fun chapter if not much happening plot progression wise. My bet on why Cheerledra can fight while flying well is that she needs to hold that fist in front of her pose in order to fly fast enough to dodge. Can't really use any of her martial arts in that pose
    I doubt there's any pose restriction on her flight, I'm guessing it's because she hasn't practiced it and it's a completely different basis for leverage from ground-based combat. Elliot is an expert martial artist, but all his practice and experience has involved standing on the ground and pushing against it to move or stabilize himself. Fly-fighting is completely different in that regard - the force pushing you around is your flight magic, not your muscles, and coordinating that with martial strikes is a skill Elliot never practiced because he never before realized the difference existed. On top of that, there's the greatly expanded range of available 3rd-dimension movement that Elliot has also never practiced fighting with.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

13. - Top - End - #283
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think this new guy, until we find out more about him, should be known as "the Cheshire Troll".
    Play your character, not your alignment.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Bugbear in the Playground

Did everyone else in this thread die or something?

Anyway, that last panel is absolutely the best drawing of a tiger-griffin getting smacked in the face with a soccer ball that has ever been drawn. The expression is perfect. Also, I think I just fell a little bit in love with Ashley.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
    Did everyone else in this thread die or something?
    I didn't really have anything to say about the last couple of updates.

Anyway, that last panel is absolutely the best drawing of a tiger-griffin getting smacked in the face with a soccer ball that has ever been drawn. The expression is perfect. Also, I think I just fell a little bit in love with Ashley.
    I suspect Ashley might be who she's looking for. Which would make things more complicated.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post

I suspect Ashley might be who she's looking for. Which would make things more complicated.
    That....doesn't match up with anything that has been shown so far. In fact it actually contradicts what we have been shown. We know that the Tiger Griffin is looking for her wife and was demanding to see an "Elliot German Dark." I don't see any room for Ashley being involved beyond getting herself involved.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2015-09-18 at 02:51 PM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    That....doesn't match up with anything that has been shown so far. In fact it actually contradicts what we have been shown. We know that the Tiger Griffin is looking for her wife and was demanding to see an "Elliot German Dark." I don't see any room for Ashley being involved beyond getting herself involved.
    "Dunkel" is German for dark. So Elliot is the correct Elliot. Elliot doesn't know/understand what's going on. That doesn't fit.

Ashley said "She won't hurt me.", which also doesn't seem to fit.

What does the idea of Ashley being the other griffin contradict?
    Last edited by halfeye; 2015-09-18 at 04:41 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"Dunkel" is German for dark. So Elliot is the correct Elliot. Elliot doesn't know/understand what's going on. That doesn't fit.

Ashley said "She won't hurt me.", which also doesn't seem to fit.

What does the idea of Ashley being the other griffin contradict?
    The part where I didn't realize you were suggesting Ashley is a shapeshifting griffin. Which still doesn't make sense.

If Ashely is the other Griffin, and the "She won't hurt me" was due to that, why would she need "Team Meddlers" to tell her where the other Griffin is? And why would Ashley ask Elliot where Avalon is? And if Other Griffin has an Ashley form why does she walk around in a cloak while in griffin form (since there where two similarly shaped cloaked figures)? And does that mean she is cheating on Tiger Griffin with Elliot? It just raises too many questions.

Honestly I just figured "She won't hurt me" was hopeful rather than her knowing something we didn't. And Elliot not understanding what's going on may be due to the escalator immortal's manipulations.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2015-09-18 at 04:51 PM.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    The part where I didn't realize you were suggesting Ashley is a shapeshifting griffin. Which still doesn't make sense.

If Ashely is the other Griffin, and the "She won't hurt me" was due to that, why would she need "Team Meddlers" to tell her where the other Griffin is? And why would Ashley ask Elliot where Avalon is? And if Other Griffin has an Ashley form why does she walk around in a cloak while in griffin form (since there where two similarly shaped cloaked figures)? And does that mean she is cheating on Tiger Griffin with Elliot? It just raises too many questions.

Honestly I just figured "She won't hurt me" was hopeful rather than her knowing something we didn't. And Elliot not understanding what's going on may be due to the escalator immortal's manipulations.
    I am guessing. I am guessing that the griffins are breaking up, and one of them isn't having it, but the other isn't hanging around to argue whether or not they are going. There may well be in comic facts that totally disprove this, my memory is terrible, but from what we've seen in, say, the last week, it seems to hold together.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

Given we have seen Ashley's childhood in flashbacks, this theory is really dumb.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Given we have seen Ashley's childhood in flashbacks, this theory is really dumb.
    I was forgetting that. Thanks. Has this author said that they don't do made up flashbacks?

There is also that if she was capable of flying down, taking the escalator was slower than necessary.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Given the entire purpose of the flashback was to establish why she liked transformation, and she didn't mention it to anyone... Why would that flashback be fake? What narrative purpose does that even serve?

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

There is also the fact that the "imbalance" that's been described in the relationship because Elliot can shapeshift and stuff and she's just a normal person is, well, no really there if she's actually a shapeshifting griffin. Also, why would she be annoyed that people keep thinking she's from Asia when she actually grew up in California, if she's actually a griffin and not a human being at all? And I can't imagine a reason to have a made-up flashback unless the person had their memory altered. It wasn't Ashley talking about her childhood (made-up or otherwise), it was Ashley remembering things about her childhood.

If Ashley was the griffin, considering nobody's paying attention to her, she probably would have just turned back into the griffin. Instead, she's trying to get the attention of tiger-griffin to tell her that some other people may know where her wife is (which she would know not to be true if it was her). And of course if she's a married adult pretending to be a teenager and dating a teenager, it raises another whole lot of icky stuff.

It's probably not the absolutely craziest theory I've ever heard about a story but I'd still say the chances of that being true are approximately zero.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I am guessing. I am guessing that the griffins are breaking up, and one of them isn't having it, but the other isn't hanging around to argue whether or not they are going. There may well be in comic facts that totally disprove this, my memory is terrible, but from what we've seen in, say, the last week, it seems to hold together.
    That only affects one of the issues I am having with this. One of many.

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    And of course if she's a married adult pretending to be a teenager and dating a teenager, it raises another whole lot of icky stuff.
    She has dated at least two teenagers at this point (not counting the internet relationship since this theory might argue that is was a lie and/or actually Tiger Griffin). We can't forget Tom, even if we want to.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2015-09-19 at 03:20 AM.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ashley is the griffin wife? That theory is far from being far-fetched enough, sorry. Myself, I'm betting on Dex to be the griffin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

26. - Top - End - #296
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Ashley is the griffin wife? That theory is far from being far-fetched enough, sorry. Myself, I'm betting on Dex to be the griffin.
    I vote for Mr Fuzzball^xMax. Hey he's got a related form and appears in the story at around the right place chronologically, what better evidence do you need?

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Okay, so perhaps Ashley isn't the other Griffin.

How about the griffins' relationship being in trouble and maybe over because of possessiveness? Does that seem unreasonable too?

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Nope. That's what I figured as well, unless the wife was heading to find this lion griffin and got sidetracked.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Okay, so perhaps Ashley isn't the other Griffin.

How about the griffins' relationship being in trouble and maybe over because of possessiveness? Does that seem unreasonable too?
    Yea, I actually agree with that theory.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I think the griffin may be furious because she thought her wife was kidnapped or something, and she thinks she's being a hero and saving her, but it's also quite possible she's abusive and possessive, she's been giving a strong vibe of that, and being so aggressive about the whole thing doesn't help that impression.