Important Links
    Lore of Innistrad
    OOC Thread
    Recruitment Thread

Spoiler: Map of Innistrad
    Show

Players

Player Class Character Description
    Jalor Swordmage Anton Dietrich A optimistic Swordmage, trained in the arts of magic as wel as sword fighting, in search for firsthand knowledge about the undead to become an even better warrior of the church.
    Tyeal Invoker Erias 'Oread' Lustrik Former protector against geist, this Idealistic young man devoted his life to the churchafter he was mortally wounded but lived. He pledged to liberate the world of darkness as head of a holy cult.
    Firedaemon Cleric/Ranger Silvia Holtzer Originating from Kessig this puritain Cathar saved her village from the gruesome howlpack. WIth divine guidance she now puts her bow to use wherever people are in danger and need saving.
    Drekkle Avenger Ana Moreau Raised at the training grounds of the gathars this warm, young woman with a sword as big as herself, seeks out the skaab and alchemist to show Avacyn she is worthyof redemption for her childhood crimes.

In Game Information
    Spoiler: Languages
    Show

Languages spoken in Innistrad:
    Common (the common language everyone understands)
    High Gothic (nobleman, clergy and vampires (since they regard themselves most of the time as noble bloodlines. You could regard this as latin in the medieval times, only educated people would be able to read, speak and write this, although the language is the same in all provinces)
    Stensian (dialect spoken by sheep herders and local commoners in the province of Stensia)
    Gavonian (dialect spoken by farmers and townsfolk or smaller villages in Gavony)
    Kessig (dialect spoken by the forest people of Kessig and wherwolves)
    Nephalian (dialect spoken by citizen of the cities of Nephalia, merchants and underground figures)
    Spirits will communicate in the language they knew when they were alive. zombies are most of the time unintelligent and can't speak.

As someone from another province you might recognize some words and you may be able to understand about 20-40% of what someone is saying in their dialect. You however are not able to speak in the dialect and when comversations get more complex the percentage quickly drops and you are pretty much clueless what they are brabbling about.

Spoiler: Coins and Currency
    Show

There is one currency in Innistrad, the Thaler.
    These correspond with the GP from the 4.0 system. There are no silver and copper coins. I don't like the idea of people having unlimited money since the normal income of a farmer is like 7 sp a day and you start of with about 700 times that amount which is a fortune, that is like a two year salary in your pouch. To balance it I will adjust the currency system a littlebit, you will still be filthy rich, most likely, but this will put a bit higher tax on your luxurous lives, you bunch of snobs

Food
    Meal, common 2 thaler
    Meal, feast 10 thaler
    Drink
    Ale, pitcher 1 Thaler
    Wine, bottle 5 Thaler
    Inn stay (per day)
    Typical room 3 Thaler
    Luxury room 12 Thaler

The rest is pretty much according to the normal GP price, or I will make something up.

Last edited by Cilvyn; 2015-04-27 at 12:29 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [IC GROUP 1] Crusade on Havengul

Crusade on Havengul

You have been called to the holy city of Thraben, the throne of Avacyn’s church and the capital of Innistrad. Normally yuo get orders down the ranks, but this time you have been summoned to the city itself. You thank Avacyn for this honour, being recognized for the loyal soldier of the faith you are.

Since Avacyn disappeared the nights have grown longer and darker and it is known that there are being held more expeditions against the undead and werewolves. You think you may be summoned to join one of those expedition, which would be a good chance to …….. (whatever your ambition is). When you approach the majestic city you are struck by its great wall, its marvelous gothic architecture and most of all the cathedral which towers high above all other buildings in the city.

The Cathedral of Thraben

Once you enter the city gate you emerge into the crowd. You see merchants selling their wares like cabbages, handmade baskets and other goods. Other, more mystical looking figures, hold out charmlike items with the symbol of avacyn which should have protective powers. The city under the influence of the church maintains a high standard of cleanness and order and you walk through the streets amazed by the greatness the city radiates.

You find your way to the military quarters. Solders pass you by saluting you as their superiors. Cathars are not uncommon, but still respected as they form the elite force of the church and the army, not that Innistrad has a standing army as would have medieval kingdoms in our world (I am a historian, you will get a lot of historical references thrown at you, my apologies), but you get the picture.

You walk towards the barracks of the senior officers and you enter the building. Inside you see a few others sitting on nicely decorated wooden chairs. In front of them stands an elderly man. He wears light armor covered in holy symbols. His face is scarred and you can’t help to notice several bite-marks on his neck, this man surely must have seen quite some action. You salute the elderly cathar and take a seat among the other cathars. Then the man speaks in a stronger voice than you would expect from such a venerable man.

The lunarch has summoned you to the capital for an important quest. The Bishop of Nephalia is struggling to keep his people under control, the light of Avacyn is fading and in the city of Havengul are increasingly more zombie attacks. Of course we know that this port is a stronghold of unholy practices, but now it is worse than ever.

We have knowledge of a cult in the underground of the city. They call themselves ''the Skaabherren' or lords of the undead in common tongue. Using forbidden alchemy they stitch corpes together and creat fearsome monsters that terrorize the faithfull people. We have to purge these heretics and bring the light to the outskirts of this lands ourselves, now Avacyn no longer guides us.

The man pauses for a second, closes his eyes and brings his hand to his heart, with his other hand leaning on his walking stick.

I feel a great darkness coming from the west. The sea brings nothing but evil and it is spreading land inwards. The faul beasts of the moon are closing in from the north, vampires from the east.

He turn around and looks deep in your eyes.

Those damned bloodsucking animals, beware of them for they are also hiding in the darkness of Havengul.

I send you, warriors of the church, to Havegul to uncover this cartel of corpsetraders and devilish alchemists by any means necessary. Be wary though, the townsfolk are not too happy when the church interferes in their affairs and may have been corrupted by their folklore and superstitions. Trust no one, even the mightest of cathars have fallen and have been turned to that which they hunted so passionatly.

You will ride tomorrow, I have personally sought out a fine establishment where you can spend the night, get to know eachother and pray. Tomorrow there will be a market where you can get any wares you might still need.

The man sighs and leans heavily on his walkingstick. He hands you a carefully sealed letter with the symbol you know so well and shows you the door.

With the group you walk through the city as the sun sets. Like every evening it gets cold and a sinister shadow creeps over the rooftops of the houses. However you have seen some horrors in your life, a shiver goes down your spine and you quicken your step to get to the inn as fast as you can. It is a nice establishment, not worthy of a nobleman but from the windows shines a warm light, the scent of roasted beef meets you when you approach the inn-door. You look at eachother before you walk in.

Last edited by Cilvyn; 2015-04-24 at 05:10 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Silvia smiles as she smells the meat cooking and opens the door, holding it for the others as she says, "Ah...What smells like a good meal and a warm place to sleep. Can't ask for any more."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ana Moreau

Ana nods, with a smile to Silvia as she passes through the door. "Agreed. It'll be a welcome start to the long journey ahead." she says, the light conversation a welcome distraction from the thoughts swirling in Ana's head. Skraaben and Skaabs... 'Stop that, she internally chastises herself. 'No need to dwell on the darkness to come, focus on enjoying the night while you can.'

Finding an open table at the inn, she sets down her things near a chair, unstrapping the fullblade, and leaning it against the table. Her hand lingers on the scabbard of the blade, wanting to calm her nerves by sharpening the blade, but the act of drawing such a massive weapon would most likely set others on edge. Perhaps later, in the privacy of her own room, there would be time.

As a serving boy draws near, Ana sets down ten thaler on the table. "A meal and a room for me, with a bottle of wine to share." she requests, as she sits down.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Already marked 10 thaler off my sheet.
    Last edited by Drekkle; 2015-04-25 at 10:51 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Anton Dietrich

Once he finishes tying up the horses, Dietrich steps inside the inn. He slides his wrist razors further up his arm to hide them under his sleeve as he nods absently at Silvia. His bonded blade is stowed in the wagon, but he can call it to his hand in an instant if necessary. He pulls out a chair at Ana's table and sits backwards with his arms resting on the chair's back. He addresses the serving boy. "Do you have four individual rooms open, or will we have to double up?" He pulls a couple of thaler from his pocket and flicks them onto the table. "Stew and bread."
    If you need D20 optimization advice or real-life advice, my PM box is always open.
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    Hail unto thee Jalor, First Favoured of the Carbonation Gods!
    Quote Originally Posted by Syka View Post
    I now confess my undying admiration of Jalor. You are a god amongst men for that surprisingly subtle use of Firefly.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Erias Lustrik

The divine caster gave a silent nod to Silvia as he enters with the rest of his group, his chainmail clinking softly under the traveling clothes he wore. As is his habit, he murmurs a prayer over the inn, letting the inn owner or the patrons see that their place of rest will be a little safer this evening. That done, he joins Ana and Anton at the table, taking out 15 thaler to put towards his room and meal. "Soup de jour. With red wine." He says to his server, as he takes out a small, thick journal along with a bottle of ink and quill, and began to write in it as he waits.
    Last edited by Tyeal; 2015-04-26 at 02:36 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

The inn has about 10 tables in 15 by 30 square feet (5 by 10 meter) living room. The floor is wood and kept rather clean. There is a warm fire burning at the left side of the living room and on the walls you see some paintings of local artists. Most of them are landscapes of Gavony and you also see some paintings of Avacyn herself (You could compare it with a painting of jezus making a sign of blessing in the western world). A lone lute player sits near the fite place. he sings songs in a geavonian dialect.

Spoiler: Inn
    Show

Seen from the entrance, in the far left corner sits an old man in tattered clothes. He holds an magnefying glass in front of his eyes and he is bended over some old documents.

There are six farmers sitting at the table right at the entrance. they all salute you when you walk in. one of them, a younger farmboy stands up, looking a little frightened at you and makes the sign of avacyn before he sits down, looks at you when you pass by, but quickly looks away when you look back at him. (putting your fists together and sticking up your thumbs while making a short bow. Most people just stick up their thumb and hold it against their chest while nodding. The first one is more official).

The innkeepers boy is about thirteen years old and bows deep when you enter. He shows you the second large table to sit at. He seems not surprized with catars coming in the inn, but treats you with the utmost respect.

Welcome, sirs, myladies, to the Lunarch Inn. The brightest place in all of Thraben.

Please be seated here

He takes the towel from his shoulder and wipes the already clean table to make sure it is spotless. once he's taken your orders he takes the thaler, bows again and hurries to the kitchen. A few moments later a friendly looking, chubby man comes out of the kitchen. He has sweat on his forehead and he wears a dirty apron. He holds a tray with a nicely decorated flask with wine in it. You are pretty sure he doesn't serve this kind of fine glasswere for all his guests. His moustache wiggles as he speaks.

Very welcome good sirs, ladies. Forgive my boy he means well. My wife is working in the kitchen to make you the finest dishes we have to offer.

He puts down the flask on your table together with four even fine looking glasses.

The rooms are upstairs, we have rooms with three beds each. I did not expect any other guests so if you like to have your own room, I won't charge extra for it. It is a pleasure to have gast of such status in my humble establishment

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ana Moreau

Ana takes one of the glasses, pouring a measure of wine into it for herself as she speaks with the innkeeper. "Thank you, kind sir. Your boy was good, and I'm sure whatever your wife serves will be a welcome meal on this night. Please, don't neglect your other guests as you serve us, I wouldn't want to impose. And thank you for the offer of the rooms, but if anyone else shows up, please, don't hesitate to ask me to share one.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Silvia nods along to Ana's words and says, "Indeed. I think only two rooms are needed. And as for dinner...Ah...Stew sounds decent as well. Thank you, sir."

10. - Top - End - #10

the man wipes his forehead.

Thank you myladies, you are very kind.

He bows and turns around and moves to the other table.

Gentleman, can I pour you another drink as wel? he asks.

The farmers shake their head and stand up. It's alright Gerald. It's dark and cold outside, we should head back home. The boy is tired as wel. Thank you for your hospitality. They nod at you Have a good evening sirs, ladies. They leave a few thaler on the table and make their way outside.

The Innkeeper collects the money and moves to the older guest in the corner. Last round

Ney Tanke The man says in a crackling old voice Ick bin almost fertig You recognize a strong nephalian accent in his voice. He turns back to his papers and keeps on reading.

The Musisian, packs his instrument as well, accepts a few thaler from the innkeeper and leaves the place.

Spoiler: language, please read all
    Show

I will, when talking in dialect throw some german, dutch, english and maybe french words in to make it some sort of language that makes sence, but still doesn't quite. I hope this way to create a language which will be partial understandable for you as native English speakers.

I will always put the translation in a spoiler.

In this case it means; No thank you, I am almost done.. Next time when spoken only read the spoiler marked withthe dialect if your character can actually speak it.
    Last edited by Cilvyn; 2015-04-26 at 04:06 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

ClericGuy

Erias Lestik

He motions to have his glass filled when offered, pausing in his scribbling when he heard the old man in the corner speak. His curiosity piqued, he put away his journal and took his glass, walking over to the elderly man in the corner, setting his glass down to see if it got his attention. Then asked, in a lighter accent than the man's own, "Wat lees je?" pointing to the papers he's pouring over.

12. - Top - End - #12

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    You can use time to chat if you like or do other things. Normal people go to sleep most of the time when darkness falls. There is not much to do in the dark, there aren't many lightsources except candles or fireplaces which are not optimal for providing alot of light. You can use as much time as you want to talk, there won't happen much unless you intentionally want something to happen. The innkeeper will give you the keys to the seperate bedrooms and eventually will go to bed with his family as well.

I couldn't help to think about this with the four of you sleeping in the rooms

Outside the wind blows and it is getting very dark.

The innkeeper's wife brings you food, it tastes pretty good and the woman looks very friendly, but also like she has seen alot in her life. She looks older than she probably is but you notice she has a kind heart. The boy does not come in the living room anymore, you suspect he is gone to his bed.

Tyael

The man looks at you with intense eyes. He koops looking at you while he grabs his papers. Not a moment he takes his eyes of you you while taking a few coins from his pocket and leaves the on the table. He walks up on you and in a mysterious voice almost whispers when he is close to you.

"Some things are better left unknown, young cathar, once known you know them, better to leave it alone. He says in common, still with a noticable accent. He smiles not unfriendly and walks towards the door.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Silvia glaces between Erias and the Nephalian, responding to him, "Oh really? And why would that be?"

14. - Top - End - #14

The first so confident man now backs away a little, it is clear he doesn't want trouble and realizes he should not provoke catars like that.

it is niks, miss. Ick want zu house gehen, bitte. good nacht In the moment he returns to his dialect. He folds the documents and puts them in his pocket and wants to leave.

Spoiler: Nephalian
    Show

It is nothing, lady, I would like to go home please. Good night

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Silvia sighs and says, "Ah...I don't speak Nephalian. Can you repeat that in Common?"

16. - Top - End - #16

The man tries to walk away from you slowly.

I need to go home now, Sorry for disturbing you, Good night.

THe innkeeper comes into the room afterall you are the only sound that is coming from the living room.

Everything alright, François? Please mylade, Sir Delambre is just a scholar from Nephalia, I let him do his work here because he is not so familiar here in Thraben. I assure you he hass no ill intentions.
    Last edited by Cilvyn; 2015-04-27 at 10:41 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Anton Dietrich

Dietrich pauses from shoveling stew into his mouth to turn and quietly address the innkeeper. "Do you know his field of study or what institution he's with? I'm a scholar myself - I might try speaking to him at a better time."
    If you need D20 optimization advice or real-life advice, my PM box is always open.
    I now confess my undying admiration of Jalor. You are a god amongst men for that surprisingly subtle use of Firefly.

18. - Top - End - #18

The innkeeper smiles, feeling very important with your question directed at him, but before the good man can answer you the bold old scholar speaks:

"I study insects, nothing more. May I please go now, I like to go home?"

The man, more and more seems to be affraid of you, his eyes go quickly from person to person. Small drops of sweat appear on his forehead and his hands tremble.

The innkeeper doesn't speak, knowing better than to command soldiers of the church, but you see in his eyes that he likes you the man to leave.
    Last edited by Cilvyn; 2015-04-27 at 11:23 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

ClericGuy

Erias Lestik

Frowning deeply at his companion, he steps between Silvia and the scholar, speaking firmly, "We have no business with this man." He had simply been curious as to what someone speaking Nephilian was doing in this part of the world, nothing more. He hadn't expected his new-found ally to step in and put her nose so deeply into the scholar's business. He was disappointed in her behavior.
    Last edited by Tyeal; 2015-04-27 at 11:31 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Anton Dietrich

Dietrich raises an eyebrow, nods, then turns back around in his chair and dips his bread in his stew. He says nothing more, but he seems unlikely to stop his companions if they try and question the man further.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dietrich never passes up a chance to talk about his studies, and to him any scholar who doesn't is suspicious. Insight [roll]1d20+[/roll] to see if this guy's being forthright with us. herp derp It's been so long since I did a PBP here that I can't roll dice. Rolling in the OOC so I don't clutter this thread.
    Last edited by Jalor; 2015-04-27 at 11:33 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

When you think about it, you have no exact reason to sespect the man of something that would go against the creed of the church, as far as you can imagine. Although It is still rather strange; a Nephalian researcher in Thraben researching insects in a local Inn.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Silvia raises her hands and says sarcastically, but holding steel in her eyes, "I'm so sorry I'm not the type to let cryptic comments about 'things we should not know' go by without further investigation."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ana Moreau

Ana places a reassuring hand on the hilt of her sword, seeing that things have begun to get heated. "Perhaps it would be best to take this conversation outside, so we don't interpose on our host's hospitality?" She remarks cautiously. "Sir, perhaps you could allow us to take a look at your papers? If only to assage the nerves of our friend here."
    Last edited by Drekkle; 2015-04-27 at 01:30 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

ClericGuy

Erias Lustrik

He will remain in place, continuing to speak in a firm tone. "We will speak to him in the morning." Someone of his advanced age would no doubt wish to be home before it gets too dark. He felt there was no reason why they couldn't visit this scholar at his home in the morning, if his compatriots were truly that worried that this man seemed so out of place. He felt it was unusual, certainly. But they all have dealt with far stranger, and more gruesome, things before.
    Last edited by Tyeal; 2015-04-27 at 02:10 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ana Moreau

"Begging your pardon, Erias, but I would rather see this matter settled now, so we can get an early start towards our destination." Ana says neutrally, trying to hide her emotions. The way the man acts, and his research reminds her of the secretive alchemists in her homeland, toiling underneath the moon and stars in secluded laboratories to create horrifying monstrosities of necro-alchemy. She would much rather any doubts about this man be quelled before the night... or before he could make an escape.
    Last edited by Drekkle; 2015-04-27 at 02:46 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

The Innkeeper falls on his knees seeling the young woman reach for her enormous blade.

Oh please lady, I beg of you, we are all humble servants of the church of Avacyn. This inn is my lives work, I.. I even named it after the Lunarch himsef 'The Lunarch Inn' The brightest place in all.. all of Thraben. The man almost cries, looking at Erias and Anton. Please kind Sirs, François has been a loyal customer since halfway of New moon (it is now the start of harvest moon so that is about 30 days) I admit he is a bit strange, but he means no harm. I beg of you. I.. Shall I bring some more wine to .. to ease the mood a bit? The man is desperate to bring this situation to a peacefull end.

François trembles even more seeing you pulling out your weapon. Please mylady, what The owner says is true. I simply made a joke, I should have known better. I apologize. I am merely a simple scholar investigating local insects so we can understand nature better and this amazing world we live in. I mean no harm and am just as loyal to our Angel Avacyn as you are! With the name Avacyn he makes the sign in front of his chest. He takes a step back towasrds the door he looks at you and takes another. You can let him go take 2 steps more and go outside and let him leave or you can stop him now, but then you have to do it in this moment.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Silvia shrugs, nods and says, "Yeah, now is good. 'specially considering he's faking being afraid." She then nods to the innkeeper and says as she gets to her feet as well, "I'm sorry if this gets messy. If it does I'll see what we can do to make things right."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ana Moreau

Ana stands up, her expression turning hard. "Your research papers. Hand them over. Or, we can take this outside." She states in a stern tone, her hand holding the scabbard of her blade, ready to draw it at a moment's notice.

To the innkeeper, a bit apologetically, she says "My apologies for disturbing the peace in your inn, sir. I'll leave something extra for the trouble and stress we've caused."
    Last edited by Drekkle; 2015-04-27 at 03:17 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Anton Dietrich

Dietrich drops his spoon into the empty bowl with a clatter and spins around in his chair, though he remains seated. He swirls the fingers of his right hand in the air lazily, and a barely perceptible thread of pale blue light snakes through the air and encircles the old man before fading entirely.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mark the man with Aegis of Ensnarement, ready an action to call my bonded sword if anyone else draws a weapon in the room.
    Last edited by Jalor; 2015-04-27 at 04:01 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

The man's face turns angry and distorted. The fear fades from his face and his hand comes from under his robe holding the documents.
    If this is what you want, fine He holds out his hand with the documents. Please be carefu... BE CAREFUL he turns up his voice amost commanding and more strong than before, the moment you would touch the papers and take it from his hand.

The innkeeper meanwhile still sits on his knees looking with big eyes at François, totally confused about the situation and unable to speak.