New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Becoming a Tree

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Becoming a Tree

So, I want to be able to grow my roots into the earth and stay in place. I've found one thing that will let me do that, Forest Master (from Faiths and Pantheons) level 8. Is there anything else that will let me become part of the earth, or something that makes me immovable (doesn't have to be nature-related) that I can fluff to say does that? If I can do it before level 10, that would be great.

Also, not as important, is there a low-level spell or cheap item I can use to make a little pool nearby for a small water elemental to live in?
    I sneak in my own house, it's four in the morning.
    I had too much to drink, said I was out with the boys.
    I creep in my bedroom, I slip into bed; I know if I wake her...

I'll wake up dead!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Becoming a Tree

The Psionic Warrior power Immovability does, well, what it says. as a 4th level power, you can pick it up exactly at 10th level.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Tree Shape turns you into a tree, including roots. Create Water can create a small pool of water. Both are easily accessible to a 3rd level Druid.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

If you want to be a slightly more movable tree the Landforged Walker (SoX) prestige class is decent.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

May be relevant:

The spell Arboreal Transformation (Complete Mage) will let you turn creatures into treants under your control for days. After the duration expires, they're a normal oak tree.

So you could turn into a tree with an army of trees?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I like that you can predict the future. Why, you must be some sort of wizard.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Unyielding Roots, Druid 9 spell, may also be of interest!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

For a lower-level effect, Mountain Stance (SpC, pp. 144-5) is a second-level spell for Druids and Wizards/Sorcerers that makes it very hard for you to be moved. Not impossible, but it's a pretty hefty bonus.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

I feel like there is a druid prestige class for this. I just can't remember what it is called!

Paladin Edit:
    It looks like I was thinking of Landforged Walker as well. Secrets of Xen'drik is the book, in case you are interested.
    Last edited by LoyalPaladin; 2015-04-24 at 11:48 AM.
    If purple is evil, bold gray is lawful good.

Extended Signature & Homebrew Signature

Check out my Celestial Compendium!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

There are also Tree-Friend PrC in Dragon #307, Verdant Lord PrC from Masters of The Wild, and Plant Grafts from Magic of Eberron
    Spoiler: Also, MLP ;)
    Show

Last edited by ShurikVch; 2015-04-24 at 12:28 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    The Psionic Warrior power Immovability does, well, what it says. as a 4th level power, you can pick it up exactly at 10th level.
    Hey presto! I'll need to see what else I can get from Psionic Warrior that's nature-themed. I can probably still get a familiar with a feat, then have the spell to change it into a water elemental.
    Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Tree Shape turns you into a tree, including roots. Create Water can create a small pool of water. Both are easily accessible to a 3rd level Druid.
    Tree shape is so perfect. If I'm casting psionics or am silent+still casting, can I cast while being a tree?
    Quote Originally Posted by gorfnab View Post
    If you want to be a slightly more movable tree the Landforged Walker (SoX) prestige class is decent.
    Ick, warforged. The class abilities are really neat and it does make warforged closer to nature, but they're still machines, and that's not naturey at all (Discounting Laputa: Castle in the Sky).
    Quote Originally Posted by Deox View Post
    May be relevant:

The spell Arboreal Transformation (Complete Mage) will let you turn creatures into treants under your control for days. After the duration expires, they're a normal oak tree.

So you could turn into a tree with an army of trees?
    It looks like I can cast this on myself, but then my character is on a ticking clock before they're no longer a character. That's so hardcore! I'm 100% playing that if I can play in a game with 9th level spells. It's like Majora's Mask, but twenty days. Could I use Timeless Unguent or whatever to increase the duration?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Adventurer View Post
    Unyielding Roots, Druid 9 spell, may also be of interest!
    Once that website isn't giving me a 500 - server error, I'll look this up and see what it does. Do you know what book it's in?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    For a lower-level effect, Mountain Stance (SpC, pp. 144-5) is a second-level spell for Druids and Wizards/Sorcerers that makes it very hard for you to be moved. Not impossible, but it's a pretty hefty bonus.
    That is a nice bonus. And, it even allows me to move around if nobody is looking! I like this. Maybe there's some way to combine it with shapeshifting into a tree, then to move five feet (with a good move silent check) whenever my party or other people aren't looking, and totally freak them out!
    Quote Originally Posted by LoyalPaladin View Post
    I feel like there is a druid prestige class for this. I just can't remember what it is called!

Paladin Edit:
    It looks like I was thinking of Landforged Walker as well. Secrets of Xen'drik is the book, in case you are interested.
    Thank you as well, mister paladin. But can a metal man ever truly love nature as much as a creature that was born from it? And, is he alive or dead? Has he thoughts within his head? We'll just pass him there, why should we even care?
    Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    There are also Tree-Friend PrC in Dragon #307, Verdant Lord PrC from Masters of The Wild, and Plant Grafts from Magic of Eberron
    Show

#307 is luckily one I have, but dragondex is also down for some reason. I guess I can flip through pages and find it. Are you as frustrated as I am with the terrible table of contents in basically every dragon magazine?

Verdant Lord is neat, and rootlegs are, too. Maybe I can get those so that the whole image of rooting is more realistic, even if they aren't as stable as a lot of the spells.

The FiM link is only 1 second long?

I'll wake up dead!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert West View Post
    #307 is luckily one I have, but dragondex is also down for some reason. I guess I can flip through pages and find it. Are you as frustrated as I am with the terrible table of contents in basically every dragon magazine?
    It's on page 73. This PrC is more dryad-related, but the very name... (also, only 5 levels long)
    The FiM link is only 1 second long?
    2 seconds. There is longer version of it and one more thematically-related

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    Show

Thank you!

Seriously, this is the most druid question I think I've ever seen and i'd hate to discourage such a goal. Live your dream and become a tree!
    Or get Yellow Musk Creeper'd, become a zombie creating vine thing. I prefer Orc Wort for minion producing vegetation, but the YMC is more infectious. Definitely the easiest way to obtain the plant type.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Ick, warforged. The class abilities are really neat and it does make warforged closer to nature, but they're still machines, and that's not naturey at all (Discounting Laputa: Castle in the Sky).

*Snip snip snip*

Thank you as well, mister paladin. But can a metal man ever truly love nature as much as a creature that was born from it? And, is he alive or dead? Has he thoughts within his head? We'll just pass him there, why should we even care?
    *The unarmored warforged druid watches the other druids run by before turning back to his hill and solitude, pondering again the cathartic effect that humanoid tears appear to bring to those who are so blessed to not be grown in the creation forges. The sun and moon and brook by his hill remain, though... they understand his friendship, and that is, at the end of the day, all he needs...*

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

One oft-forgotten fact is that Warforged are part tree. Their core is made out of livewood, with bundles of rootlike fibers forming their "muscles," below all the plating. They're less robots and more armor-covered artificial treants, really. Seems like that could fit into a whole lot of nature themes, especially with the whole "artificial being, but still made of nature" thing.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Gonna have to correct you there, friend. If you think of incarnate constructs as living by way of magic, and they are sentient, one would be led to believe they are the most natural thing in all the world. They live because of the Aether, or Incarnum, coursing through their bodies. They are born from nature just as we are, even if they aren't actually products of reproduction.

And Warforged are wholly sentient beings. It is debated, but they do have souls. So maybe Landforged Walker deserves another look.

Endrant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord.Sorasen
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but your words can never hurt me because you're not a wizard."
    -on Item Familiars:
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Marmot View Post
    Of course, binding a portion of your personality to a ring of invisibility always works out great. Just ask Sauron.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

You could also be from Athas and be a Lifeshaped being. Would have some hefty work with the DM to make that work but if you are made out of Rahn-Rath you could heal from water and sunlight, or you could use one of the other options above and just be the Life Shaper making trees.

A little questionable but if you get a normal Familiar and an Item Familiar you may be able to choose a stronghold plot as your item then Familiar Form(Dragon #280) twice to make the land your permanent body. If you can make it a Legacy Item as well you can get the Call ability to move very slowly(since it can drop in an adjacent square). Casting like that is difficult, but shouldn't be impossible and as an intelligent item you should be able to at least activate your own abilities.

There is of course the sandwich option involving PoA and True Mind Switch into a tree. For a more mobile familiar you can use a Savage Species ritual to give them the Woodling Template and familiar form into them. If the Companion Familiar of the Arcane Herophant is a valid target for Familiar Form you can choose the Dragon #357 druid option for a plant companion and take over that body.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Seclora View Post
    Seriously, this is the most druid question I think I've ever seen and i'd hate to discourage such a goal. Live your dream and become a tree!
    Or get Yellow Musk Creeper'd, become a zombie creating vine thing. I prefer Orc Wort for minion producing vegetation, but the YMC is more infectious. Definitely the easiest way to obtain the plant type.
    Thank you! I'm getting hits for YMC as a PF thing in google; is it also in 3.5? I'll definitely keep it in mind if I join a PF-allowed group.

Quote Originally Posted by Afgncaap5 View Post
    *The unarmored warforged druid watches the other druids run by before turning back to his hill and solitude, pondering again the cathartic effect that humanoid tears appear to bring to those who are so blessed to not be grown in the creation forges. The sun and moon and brook by his hill remain, though... they understand his friendship, and that is, at the end of the day, all he needs...*
    *single tear* I never thought of the warforged as an eternal guardian of nature. Do they live forever?

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    One oft-forgotten fact is that Warforged are part tree. Their core is made out of livewood, with bundles of rootlike fibers forming their "muscles," below all the plating. They're less robots and more armor-covered artificial treants, really. Seems like that could fit into a whole lot of nature themes, especially with the whole "artificial being, but still made of nature" thing.
    I didn't know that to begin with, even! I thought they were just machines, with a name like warforged. That'll teach me to assume.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrassDuke View Post
    Gonna have to correct you there, friend. If you think of incarnate constructs as living by way of magic, and they are sentient, one would be led to believe they are the most natural thing in all the world. They live because of the Aether, or Incarnum, coursing through their bodies. They are born from nature just as we are, even if they aren't actually products of reproduction.

And Warforged are wholly sentient beings. It is debated, but they do have souls. So maybe Landforged Walker deserves another look.

Endrant.
    How is magic natural? Isn't it extraordinary by its definition since most people don't have it? But regardless, they're created, right? Not something that happens through reproduction. I guess your definition of nature is different from mine, and you know what? That's okay. I'm sorry to make you rant!

Unrelated, there aren't any smilies for crying. There's one for frowning, but that's not the same at all. Anyway, I really just said all that so I could quote Iron Man. Next time I won't, sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruethgar View Post
    You could also be from Athas and be a Lifeshaped being. Would have some hefty work with the DM to make that work but if you are made out of Rahn-Rath you could heal from water and sunlight, or you could use one of the other options above and just be the Life Shaper making trees.

A little questionable but if you get a normal Familiar and an Item Familiar you may be able to choose a stronghold plot as your item then Familiar Form(Dragon #280) twice to make the land your permanent body. If you can make it a Legacy Item as well you can get the Call ability to move very slowly(since it can drop in an adjacent square). Casting like that is difficult, but shouldn't be impossible and as an intelligent item you should be able to at least activate your own abilities.

There is of course the sandwich option involving PoA and True Mind Switch into a tree. For a more mobile familiar you can use a Savage Species ritual to give them the Woodling Template and familiar form into them. If the Companion Familiar of the Arcane Herophant is a valid target for Familiar Form you can choose the Dragon #357 druid option for a plant companion and take over that body.
    Wow, Ruethgar! This is perfect. Even if I can only move 5 ft every so often, that's plenty for someone who's mostly spending their time as a tree anyway. Could I fly with the Flying weapon enchantment (from some FR book, I think), and that way contribute if I'm needed in the party, or maybe just be like a floating island above the destroyed world below? Or, isn't there a spell that changes gravity? Could I center gravity in the middle of my form to make a mini-earth that gets bigger as more loose dirt gets near it? Can I just make the earth my familiar and then become it?

Actually, the spell says you can be your familiar until you stop wanting to. Regardless, I could change into my familiar, then cast the creature-to-tree-permanently spell on it, and then go back into the tree that used to be my familiar? I could even use it as a means of transportation with the Call Familiar spell on the same Dragon Magazine page -- bounce back and forth between familiar and land, and when I'm not the land, I can call it to me from up to a mile away. Since the spell says "(within the range of your empathic link)", could I make the distance infinite with an infinite-distance empathic link? If turning into a mini earth means that I get to keep an atmosphere with the gravity, I could make my own planet off in space, where nothing can get to unless I let them! I could basically re-make earth, but without anything nasty.

I think this Familiar Form spell opens up a lot of possibilities.

Oh, also, I don't know what any of these things are:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruethgar View Post
    You could also be from Athas and be a Lifeshaped being. Would have some hefty work with the DM to make that work but if you are made out of Rahn-Rath
    Is that a plane?
    Last edited by Herbert West; 2015-04-27 at 01:31 AM.

I'll wake up dead!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, also, I don't know what any of these things are: Is that a plane?
    Athas is the name of a setting. Commonly known as Dark Sun. There's some second party stuff floating around for it on the web. Lifeshaped is pretty much a catch-all for various life-manipulating techniques, including grafts and simply creating creatures from scratch.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Athas is the name of a setting. Commonly known as Dark Sun. There's some second party stuff floating around for it on the web. Lifeshaped is pretty much a catch-all for various life-manipulating techniques, including grafts and simply creating creatures from scratch.
    Be careful if you go this route. The locals don't much like casters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Be careful if you go this route. The locals don't much like casters.
    Well, that's okay, as long as they like trees ^^ unless they like also pickups with huge engines and then never use them to haul or tow anything and only ever drive on metaled roads (and way over the speed limit at that!) Then it's clear that they're lying about liking trees.

I'll wake up dead!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

I say cast the familiar form twice because you can completely switch bodies that way. After the second casting dismiss the first then dismiss the second and you go back into the first familiar and can't be dispelled out of it just like the Magic Jar trick that the spell is based on at a lower level. One thing to note if you are using two familiars, one for moving around normally one for being a mini-planet. The normal familiar still only has half your health so you'll be wanting massive Con or to be casting focused.

And depending on what age of play you are from Athas, druids are hunted down and wizards destroy swaths of plant life. Life Shaping is just awesome because, well, create life with a skill check is awesome.

Another one I forgot to mention, the Pre-Epic Epic Destiny Feats have one you can take a 12 that gets you a wildshape into land ability. I know you wanted sooner, but it is exactly what you were after I believe and is of less questionable legality than using a stronghold as an item familiar.

As far as flying and such, I believe you can enchant your familiar/ancestral relic/legacy item after it meets the initial prerequisites so you could add all manner of stronghold options such as land movement and flight.
    Last edited by Ruethgar; 2015-04-27 at 08:17 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Thank you! I'm getting hits for YMC as a PF thing in google; is it also in 3.5? I'll definitely keep it in mind if I join a PF-allowed group.
    It is actually, Fiend Folio, Page 190.

Side note for the bronies in the audience; Ahuizotl is also in Fiend Folio. In case you ever wanted a little Daring Do in your campaign.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Verdant Lord (Master of the Wild) works

note that 3 -> 3.5 swapped the names of Command Plants and Control Plants, so you still qualify at the same time in 3.5 as in 3

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

*single tear* I never thought of the warforged as an eternal guardian of nature. Do they live forever?
    Yes. Their bodies do decrease somewhat in power when they 'age' (basically, they can advance to a next age category once), but their is virtually no limit on their actual age.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!