New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Question Goliaths, Powerful Build, and War Hulk? Is it legal?

Just like it says in the title; At first, when I read the qualifications for the class, I thought 'No, because powerful build doesn't cover that.' But after skimming through Races of Stone, I came across the feat 'Fling Ally' and others like it that all stated in the pre-reqs; Large or Larger:(Goliaths Qualify by virtue of their Powerful Build racial Trait)

I can still see the argument that this doesn't correlate to prestige class requisites, but it put some grey area on the subject. The build I have in mind isn't meant to be heavily optimized, (I doubt You can really optimize War Hulk, but you're welcome to try), But I liked the character idea and wanted to put it into practice.

Thanks for your help as always,
    Nishant

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Goliaths, Powerful Build, and War Hulk? Is it legal?

No, I wouldn't think so. But the Goliath's racial rage is, which is cool. When they rage they get bigger, and with war hulk they get a hell of a lot stronger.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

It does not count. Fling Ally has a specific exception that allows for medium creatures with powerful build to be let in. Note that poweful build has a list of what it does and "count has large for prerequisites" is not on it. You could probably get away with Mountain Rage though.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

The statement that says Goliaths can qualify for feats that require them to be large only exists in Races of Stone, and specifically says so. Seeing as they're not actually Large, most people would say that they don't qualify for War Hulk, but this is enough of a grey area that its an 'ask your DM' deal.

As for actually getting into War Hulk, Goliath barbarians do actually have an alternate class feature that turns them large when they rage. This is still 'ask your DM' territory, but it might help to convince them.

Edit: Swordsaged
    Last edited by Deadasadoor; 2015-04-24 at 02:11 PM.
    Spoiler: Build Competitions/Medals
    Show
    LX: Bronze. Krad, the Mad Strangler.
    LXII: Nebbercracker
    LXIII: LOCKDOWN Unit 4456: Honorable Mention
    LXIV: Gold. Xel'Dek, Scourge of the Underdark
    LXVI: Bronze. Sergeant Hammer
    Junkyard Wars X: Bronze. Master Lee

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Darn. I'm more worried about the 'shifting sizes' though, so to speak. It is a completely combat focused class, to be sure, but I only have so many rage uses per day, and my DM likes drawn out battles. Is there any other ideas?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nishant View Post
    Darn. I'm more worried about the 'shifting sizes' though, so to speak. It is a completely combat focused class, to be sure, but I only have so many rage uses per day, and my DM likes drawn out battles. Is there any other ideas?
    Having an Enlarge spell Permancied on yourself could do the job. Mind you, it would be subject to Dispel, but it's definitely better than nothin'.
    Order of the Stick Avatar done by the talented Kymme.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The Half-Hamster template gives me advantageous size and ability score bonuses, and combos well with my inherited Elderberry Radiance (Ex). Which is more than I can say for you, you class-dipping CL-losing Evoker!
    I was eating THOSE BEANS!!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadasadoor View Post
    The statement that says Goliaths can qualify for feats that require them to be large only exists in Races of Stone, and specifically says so. Seeing as they're not actually Large, most people would say that they don't qualify for War Hulk, but this is enough of a grey area that its an 'ask your DM' deal.
    I don't see where the grey area is. Powerful Build has a specific list of benefits and counting as large for class purposes is not on them.

Also you wouldn't lose War Hulk's benefits once you stopped being large, just the benefits of being large. You would keep sweeping strike (and its later versions) as well as your massive Str bonus.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Really? I thought that you lost the benefits of a prestige class if you no longer met the prerequisites

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Extend/Extra Rage might help with that.

There's a dragon magazine (296) class that gives you large size(so you'd count as huge) and more strength, but makes you lose 6 INT over the course of 5 levels. It also has stupid RP aspects. Not the best option, but it is something.
    Spoiler: Build Competitions/Medals
    Show
    LX: Bronze. Krad, the Mad Strangler.
    LXII: Nebbercracker
    LXIII: LOCKDOWN Unit 4456: Honorable Mention
    LXIV: Gold. Xel'Dek, Scourge of the Underdark
    LXVI: Bronze. Sergeant Hammer
    Junkyard Wars X: Bronze. Master Lee

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nishant View Post
    Really? I thought that you lost the benefits of a prestige class if you no longer met the prerequisites
    There are two books, Complete Warrior and one other which I don't remember, where that is true. Miniature's handbook is not amongst them.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

My DM got back to me, and say he would just allow Powerful build to work as a pre req. now I have to figure out a build.. Thanks for the ideas, though!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    There are two books, Complete Warrior and one other which I don't remember, where that is true. Miniature's handbook is not amongst them.
    I believe Complete Arcane is the other book in question. IIRC they were the first two splatbooks for 3.5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

CW and CA were not the first two 3.5 splatbooks, but they were relatively early. Then again, Miniatures Handbook was even earlier, and was in fact the very first 3.5 splatbooks. And Complete Divine, which contains the self-disqualifying Ur-Priest, was in between CW and CA.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Don't forget Schrodinger’s Dragon Disciple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    And Complete Divine, which contains the self-disqualifying Ur-Priest, was in between CW and CA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Don't forget Schrodinger’s Dragon Disciple.
    There are no self-disqualifying PrCs except possibly in CW and CArc. Without the extra rules in those books you only need to fulfil the prerequisites before taking the first level of the PrC. So neither the Ur-Priest nor the Dragon Disciple have any problems.