New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Minecraft XIII: Achievement Get: Bukkit Kicked

more turtles makes sense to me, i'd imagine more then three would even make things easier. think i've got seven in storage on the server? so we could probably have six while keeping things symmetrical.

And yeah i can always put extra chests somewherei n the wiring, expand them into obsidion chests and the like. We're short on diamonds but i'm sure i can at least make one more golden chest per dropoff outpost.

as for the unloaded chunk thing. i beleive i've read before that turtles automaticall reboot when they are unloaded and re-loaded don't they? If that's the case can't we make the very first command in them "move to [starting coordinates]" followed by "wait X minutes" or the like? That way they theoretically should always continue their route the same way even if unloadedand while the resulting harvest would likely be pulling up and re-planting seeds that haven't fully grown yet, it would still give time for a couple of them to grow, or if nothing else at least keep the turtles on the right path.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    more turtles makes sense to me, i'd imagine more then three would even make things easier. think i've got seven in storage on the server? so we could probably have six while keeping things symmetrical.
    There's a catch to using too many turtles: you'd run into cases where one turtle is blocking another turtle's path. I can comfortably run three turtles without ever crossing into another one's path to the chest. I'm fairly certain that one could do with four turtles (as there are four spaces that a turtle could be in that are adjacent to the chest), but three just gives more breathing room with which to work.

as for the unloaded chunk thing. i beleive i've read before that turtles automaticall reboot when they are unloaded and re-loaded don't they? If that's the case can't we make the very first command in them "move to [starting coordinates]" followed by "wait X minutes" or the like?
    As far as I know, a turtle cannot know its coordinates in the real world (or even the direction it is currently facing) without additional ComputerCraft plugins, so you cannot move a turtle to an arbitrary location based on the coordinates alone.

It is possible to work around this with shenanigans. You would save a file every time the turtle moved, then when the Turtle reboots, the turtle needs to read what you wrote in that file "backwards" to know how to get back home. Since the file you're writing to would have to contain information on the movements in both the X and Z axis, this would also really complicate the script for harvesting and planting: You'll either hardcode everything which will prevent you from using loops to get the script hammered out quickly (and some Ruby developer would start throwing towels at you), or you'll have to make a separate function for all the turns you make which also tracks which direction you're facing and then be able to codify that into the movement instructions you write to the file. This, however, is out of my scope, sorry.
    Last edited by OracleofWuffing; 2015-05-20 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Closing parenthesis. Yes, I am aware of the irony of that in the context of programming.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    As far as I know, a turtle cannot know its coordinates in the real world (or even the direction it is currently facing) without additional ComputerCraft plugins, so you cannot move a turtle to an arbitrary location based on the coordinates alone.

It is possible to work around this with shenanigans. You would save a file every time the turtle moved, then when the Turtle reboots, the turtle needs to read what you wrote in that file "backwards" to know how to get back home. Since the file you're writing to would have to contain information on the movements in both the X and Z axis, this would also really complicate the script for harvesting and planting: You'll either hardcode everything which will prevent you from using loops to get the script hammered out quickly (and some Ruby developer would start throwing towels at you), or you'll have to make a separate function for all the turns you make which also tracks which direction you're facing and then be able to codify that into the movement instructions you write to the file. This, however, is out of my scope, sorry.
    Are Wireless Modems not core computercraft? I thought Rednet GPS worked strictly with core Computercraft.

Draconi, I may have missed it, how much space is available beneath the farm, not counting the water blocks that are keeping it all hydrated?
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile, a homebrew campaign setting.
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Should be. As far as I'm aware it's no more complex, than setting up the computers, and turtle and linking them all.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

the whole thing can be found Here with the farm itself being 25x30 with the odd 3x3 place taken up around each water pit, and the entire room as a whole is 31 by 39 with a 5 block-up roof.

and okay, wasn't aware of the full scope of what computercraft can do so that's a shame. think quarries keep chunks loaded right? would it be possible to keep one running soley for that purpouse without it actually mining any?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

I was actually thinking about a multi-turtle setup, using a trio to establish a GPS system. That would be a much easier way to set up a coordinate system to ensure the turtles don't have an issue. Be much easier than a single turtle trying to manage everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

I've never been able to get wireless modems to actually do something, much less Trilateration, so if you want to show how it's done, I'd like to see that, too.

I've also never used Buildcraft Quarries, and was thinking you could just run it into a cobble generator to keep things loaded. At lest according to the FTBWiki, it's simpler than that, you can apparently just cut off the power once it starts mining and it'll stay loaded.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Doesn't even need to run. Just be placed and it will keep chunks loaded.

9. - Top - End - #99

the whole thing can be found Here with the farm itself being 25x30 with the odd 3x3 place taken up around each water pit, and the entire room as a whole is 31 by 39 with a 5 block-up roof.

and okay, wasn't aware of the full scope of what computercraft can do so that's a shame. think quarries keep chunks loaded right? would it be possible to keep one running soley for that purpouse without it actually mining any?
    I saw the diagram, but at a glance I didn't see anything about beneath the room. Is it a problem if the room extends five or ten blocks beneath the farm? I have an idea for a rube goldberg that might work, but I wanted to know for sure what I had to work with space-wise before I fired up my copy and started creative sandboxing.

Actually, is it a verboten question to ask why this isn't a melon farm? It's been over a year since I last played minecraft, but I could swear you could feed melon slices into a grinder to get something like 12 or 16 seeds per slice, and melon harvests would play nicer with your golems since there'd be no need for replanting.
    My Homebrew
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

Work in Progress, of course, but at least showing some progress. Right now, this guy gets his third done, just getting him back to the chest to drop his stuff off. It doesn't yet loop with a couple of minutes of delay, but that's easy enough to implement once I know I've stopped being off by one on everything I do.

I'm aware he's missed three spots, I just got that fixed after the picture was taken and didn't want to sit down and watch him run all over again.
    ---

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Norren View Post
    I saw the diagram, but at a glance I didn't see anything about beneath the room. Is it a problem if the room extends five or ten blocks beneath the farm? I have an idea for a rube goldberg that might work, but I wanted to know for sure what I had to work with space-wise before I fired up my copy and started creative sandboxing.

Actually, is it a verboten question to ask why this isn't a melon farm? It's been over a year since I last played minecraft, but I could swear you could feed melon slices into a grinder to get something like 12 or 16 seeds per slice, and melon harvests would play nicer with your golems since there'd be no need for replanting.
    Ah. Then yeah, there is nothing below the farm at the moment, so take as much room as you need. Might put something below it someday, but i can always just dig deeper and use elevators to bypass it.

and that's looking really good oracle! Wasn't expecting you to go all the way including the Dryads and the like

Honestly didn't know about the melon thing TBH. don't think we even had melons until after this farm was made actually.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Bad news folks, our world borked up again so it looks like we're pretty likely going to be making a new world and starting from scratch, and removing things like Ars Magica and Ender IO.

So sorry guys, but looks like the farm thing is going to have to wait, since Dryads won't be around anymore i'll likely just make a farm in the future that better fits thaum golems. Thanks anyways, sorry for wasing your time
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Oof. I'd say rotten luck, but I already expressed how I feel about Ars Magica. I kinda wonder what might've caused the problem, as I am trying to work up the gumption to finally put together a 1.7.10 pack, and I really want to try EnderIO, but the people I played with on that server also took a shine to Ars Magica. Thanks for letting me know when you knew, though.

If it is within your power to suggest adding mods (considering your server is restarting from scratch anyways), Xeno's Reliquary has a magical Lily Pad you can craft which functions like Dryads. I also see OpenBlocks on your last modlist, that has a Sprinkler which also can be used to accelerate the growth of crops. Thaumcraft also has a Lamp of Growth, but I have had it to here with Thaumcraft.

Something something Xychorium Soil joke here.
    ---

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

suggested it to the guys, thanks.

not really sure what exactly the problem with Ars magica was, something about it not working well with other mods, and we were never able to cast any of the spells, though we could make the items just fine.

as for ender IO, no idea. it worked fine for me, but apparently it took up a lot of CPU stuff or something, so i can't really say for sure.

I'll look up the sprinker next time for sure, may as well right?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Agricraft has become quite an interesting mod you might want to look at. On first blush, it looks like a re-implementation of IC2 crops... only without the IC2. However, it also has a sprinkler system which speeds up growth. More interesting, it also works on EnderLillies from ExtraUtils.

While we're talking about food mods, I'd also suggest pairing it with Hunger Overhaul and Pam's Harvestcraft. You can set up a somewhat more challenging food system where you need more than just baked potatoes to survive comfortably.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

16. - Top - End - #106

Oof, sucks about the server. :(

I'll put in a "Ask for Minefactory Reloaded" suggestion. If you have buildcraft, Forestry, TE, Ender IO, Computercraft, and AE, it isn't out of line balance wise and it has some really nice things, like conveyor belts and the planter/harvester/sewer setup.

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    Something something Xychorium Soil joke here.
    To the Nether with Xycraft. That mod eats save files, especially ones on servers.
    My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Norren View Post
    To the Nether with Xycraft. That mod eats save files, especially ones on servers. basically doesn't exist
    Fixed that for you.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

18. - Top - End - #108

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    Point.

It at least had a moment in 1.4.7 era where it wasn't pure vaporware.
    My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

I never encountered the issues I kept reading about regarding XyCraft- well, aside from its absence- so I'll just count myself lucky there. Looks like there's a Project X that's duplicating it a la Equivalent Exchange and Project E. I'm gonna have to keep an eye on that.

The other mod that comes to mind for automated farming is Steve's Carts. Which isn't so much of a farming mod, as it is a "give various functionalities to mine carts, the most practical of which is automated farming" mod. I wasn't a fan of it having so many items that existed solely to craft items, but it's kind of a middle ground between the control ComputerCraft gives you, and the all-purpose-ness MineFactory Reloaded would give you.
    ---

20. - Top - End - #110

So me and Nuke were playing around for a bit before doing some caving around his base, and I decided to try and get the When Pigs Fly achievement. Didn't get a picture of myself riding the pig (which died when I hit the ground anyway), but I did snap a pic of Nuke and his pig flying falling with style off the cliff face after me.

His pig survived, by the way.

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    Go into the Minecraft launcher and, in the lower left, click the New Profile button. In the dialogue box that pops up, name the new profile (something like "modded SMP" would be appropriate), then find the box next to "Game Directory" and check it, then change the directory in there to something else, anything else should work, and then put your mods folder in the directory the new profile points to.

You'll likely need to also need to alter the base version of Minecraft you use; in the drop-down box labeled "Use Version" select which one is appropriate. I know Forge actually alters the base version, so if it's a Forge-based modpack - fairly likely - you'll need to find that. When installed, Forge normally makes a new profile named Forge for you, but you'll still need to tell it to use a different game directory than the standard one.

Note that this is all going from memory for me, so it may not be 100% accurate. Been a long time since I had to start modding an unmodded setup
    So just tried this with no luck, both in and out of the .minecraft folder, game just reffuses to launch and leaves a log saying it failed to launch. i might be putting it in wrong.

as it is i'm taking "C:\Users\[my name]\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft" and changing it to things like "C:\Users\[my name[\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\singlemods" and "C:\Users\[my name]\AppData\Roaming\singlemods" with no luck. could i be missing something?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zweanslord View Post
    Haha, okay, who on the server gave me a new skin and name: FakeCan (formerly known as Zweanslord)?

Surprised me greatly while shortly checking on my things. Funny, though I admit I liked my old name. The skin looks neat, though.
    Found out some time ago that I could not open my chests anymore due to the change to FakeCan. Short to say, my visits to the minecraft server have been short.. Can anybody fix this?
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2015-05-23 at 02:57 AM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Barbarian in the Playground

Found out some time ago that I could not open my chests anymore due to the change to FakeCan. Short to say, my visits to the minecraft server have been short.. Can anybody fix this?
    I don't fully understand what the problem is.

Technical Admin of the Minecraft server. Whitelist is here; put your name there and post it in the thread.
    The overly long monstrosity that is my extended signature lies here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grue Bait View Post
    Good game, guys. Sapo, you are just too good for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    And by the way, your puzzle was one of the most interesting ones I've solved in a while. Kudos.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Somebody changed me name on the server from Zweanslord to FakeCan, as well as the default skin I had to something else. This without me requesting it or anything, just out of the blue. I have no idea who did this. Ever since that change, I can't access the chests I made, placed and filled with items. If I try to access them the game says: "The Chest is locked with a magical spell". So I can't access or store my items. The chests are the ones you can see at X: 45, Y: 64, Z: 544 and the ones when going a floor lower.

25. - Top - End - #115

Either you're logging in to a different account (check your login settings) or your name has been changed and LWC hasn't been updated to use uuid (you can go to the website to change it back). Try those things and let me know which it was.

Technical Admin of the Minecraft server. Whitelist is here; put your name there and post it in the thread.
    Spoiler
    Show
    And by the way, your puzzle was one of the most interesting ones I've solved in a while. Kudos.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, seems like it's a problem on my end. Somebody hacked my account and changed my username. And can't change it back for 26 days..

27. - Top - End - #117

NecromancerGuy

I'm going out of town until the evening of 5/28, have fun in the mean time.
    EmperorDanielus, please hold off on exploring the rest of that cave system until I'm back.
    @Everyone, again, you're all welcome to use my ranch for horse breeding, but please leave my horses there and bring your own gold apples/carrots.
    Long-form Sig

28. - Top - End - #118

Okay, seems like it's a problem on my end. Somebody hacked my account and changed my username. And can't change it back for 26 days..
    Updated LWC; you should be able to access your chests next time the server restarts.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

So just tried this with no luck, both in and out of the .minecraft folder, game just reffuses to launch and leaves a log saying it failed to launch. i might be putting it in wrong.

as it is i'm taking "C:\Users\[my name]\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft" and changing it to things like "C:\Users\[my name[\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\singlemods" and "C:\Users\[my name]\AppData\Roaming\singlemods" with no luck. could i be missing something?
    C:\Users\blah\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\singlemod s is the general accepted way, I don't know quite what would be the hangup. Are you on Windows Vista or later? Maybe you'll need to run the Minecraft Launcher as an admin the first time around for each profile? Minecraft will be adding files to a hidden folder, and maybe UAC doesn't like that.
    ---

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks for the effort, Saposhiente! When does the server restart if I may ask?