1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Do you know any fellow playgrounders irl?

Really simple question. I'm not asking who knows whom, and don't want details of people in real life, and am not looking to meet people in real life. I read recently someone mentioning offhandedly that he/she knew a fellow playgrounder. I happen to know everyone else only by their avatars/screen names/signatures/etc.

Actually, I think *maybe* my wife made an account several years ago, but I don't think that counts (I mean, she's not an active member by any meaning of the words).
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

2. - Top - End - #2
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Do you know any fellow playgrounders irl?

A few of my friends made accounts waaaaaay back when, but they never really got into it. I have met several Playgrounders IRL, though, but that was people I met through the site and in meatspace later.
    ---> FORUM RULES <---

He is... the most interesting Angel in the world.
    "I don't always keep spreadsheets over crazy voting patterns on the first day. But when I do, I'm the one running the game."

~Credit to Skippy for second line.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Alas, every time I've been previously able to make it to a meetup something has come up near the last minute to prevent my attendance. I've made the transition to social media with a few other playgrounders, but have yet to meet any of them in person.

Although there was one guy I met at the community college I went to for a bit who dated a friend of mine for a bit who I found out was a user on here though I don't know if he's still active or not and I lost touch with him IRL years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, I've met a few.
    Lawyer Pony by DirtyTabs

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Fred's a talking horse, he can do whatever he wants."

Fred: "I want to steal"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

I've never been to any Playground meetups or anything of that sort. At least two people I know browse the forums - I don't know whether they have accounts, though.
    Avatar by the awesome linkele, upon whom all glory should be bestowed!

Life would be tragic if it weren't funny. - Stephen Hawking

6. - Top - End - #6

Yep, a bunch. When I went to the UK I depended on Playgrounders for places to stay (yay KuReshtin), company, a job (shout-out to Qwaz), and for a rather distressing period, my food and pocket money (you're the best, Totally Guy <3). I went on a date with one Playgrounder, not-dates with a bunch of others, and went on a rather wonderful not-honeymoon with another (miss you, Thufir <3).

Back in Australia, I met some pretty great people in our meet-up years ago, some of whom I'm still in contact with. I've hosted a couple of Playgrounders at my home. I introduced a couple to the larp club I was a part of - hung out with one of them today (yo, BlackPantsGuy). Introduced a couple of IRL friends to the Playground, too, though for the most part they haven't stuck.

A while ago I organised a bunch of Playgrounders to put together a package of Christmas and birthday presents for a Playgrounder who was struggling, and more recently a bunch of 'em contributed to get me a fancypants dress I wanted.

All in all, the lines between my IRL life and my Playground life is pretty durn blurry.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pieromancer in the Playground Moderator

Counting people I know only in meatspace, I've met a load of UK playgrounders and a continental European and an Australian. Also met a couple of people who I found out were playgrounders when I went to university.

Also, my parents and little brother have accounts, although only Dad posted lots. Hi Lensman!
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

One of my friends recommended I make an account, so yes. I can't remember why now I think about it.

I've met a couple of people through the Playground and discovered a person or two I already knew irl were also on the forums as well.

I love you to death; I love you completely.
    A love that is purely vain.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Some of my friends irl have accounts.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

Not yet, but I'm hoping someday!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

My girlfriend made an account years ago but didn't really do anything with it until I started hanging here. She still doesn't do much with it. A couple of other people I know have made accounts one time or another but I'm pretty sure they don't use them.

12. - Top - End - #12

Oh yeah, also, I was introduced to the forum by my ex who was a member way back. I got y'all in the divorce.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I'd like very much to meet irl another playgrounders, but as far as i know there is no meetups in Spain or near it.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Spanish_Paladin View Post
    I'd like very much to meet irl another playgrounders, but as far as i know there is no meetups in Spain or near it.
    You'd have to travel less distance to get to the UK meet up than some of the Strayans travelled to get to the Strayan one

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

No, but it might be interesting.
    Spoiler: My current mood
    Show

The world is grey, the mountains old,
    The forge's fire is ashen-cold;
    No harp is wrung, no hammer falls:
    The darkness dwells in Durin's halls;
    The shadow lies upon his tomb
    In Moria, in Khazad-dm.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    You'd have to travel less distance to get to the UK meet up than some of the Strayans travelled to get to the Strayan one
    That..... is a good point

If my financial status improve i'll think go to next uk meetup
    Last edited by Spanish_Paladin; Today at 08:01 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

I know a bunch of playgrounders irl, and there are soem that I've met once or twice at meetups here in the UK. I am one of the original UK Playgrounders that met up in Leeds all those years ago, and alongside Archonic Energy I believe I've been to most meetups. I think i've missed 4 or 5 of them out of 16.
    I had Serpentine stay on my couch for a couple of months a while back (is that two years ago now?), and a couple of my friends from before I joined also post now and then (Gnomvid and Shurz) and one of my friends that I met through the lcal gaming shop turned out to have an ccount, although he doedn't post a whole lot (Sinderman).

Planning on meeting a bunch more playgrounders this summer as I'm attending the Trogland meetup in Tennessee
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

18. - Top - End - #18

Three years, now! Tell Sinderman I say hi, and the game shop peoples.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Oh yeah, also, I was introduced to the forum by my ex who was a member way back. I got y'all in the divorce.
    Pretty good deal for you, that.

Quote Originally Posted by KuReshtin View Post
    I know a bunch of playgrounders irl, and there are some that I've met once or twice at meetups here in the UK. I am one of the original UK Playgrounders that met up in Leeds all those years ago, and alongside Archonic Energy I believe I've been to most meetups. I think i've missed 4 or 5 of them out of 16.
    If you've missed five you're tied with me, the 6th UK Meetup was my first and I haven't missed one since.

I've met all the Playgrounders who've come to meetups I was at, plus a couple extra while travelling round the country with Serp. Also I was responsible for introducing Tasroth to the forums, and thus indirectly responsible for Qwaz as well. Oh, and Hayshade. Plus I brought some IRL friends to a meetup, and one of them signed up and made one post before vanishing, while another I think considered signing up but then didn't.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I've met a fair few at meetups, and one or two incidentally(that I know of). You hang out in roleplaying circles much, and you'll run into others that read the comic, at minimum, and some of those are forumites.
    Back from a lengthy vacation from Giantitp. I've been dabbling with 3d printer technology and game design, PM if you're curious.

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimization."

New: Tyndmyr has a game shop!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Uh, I learned about the site through friends, and I know they visit the forums, not just read the comic, but I don't know if they have accounts or who they'd be...