New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: MS Paint Adventures VIII: H8ers Gonna H8

idk, i just lok as [S]WV: Acend and think of how mysterious and epic everything was back then. We didn't need the condence or lord english to be antagonists, Bec Noir and the game itself were doing a fine job of that on their own. i could see a story still involving a scratch and the alpha kids, but if the trolls had bee left as voices on computer screens and maybe given their own side-story that explained their session and the whole lord english thing that didn't cross over into the kid's session(s) then personally i think it'd be a lot better, you'd have two stories with much more streamlined plots and naritives that would likely be shorter as a whole, rather then one messy and flayed story that's been compared to ulissies.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Don't know if I'm remembering rightly but the trolls originally weren't meant to be involved as they are, but Hussie did Act 5 Act 1 and they were ridiculously popular so he changed things so they would have more focus.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Don't know if I'm remembering rightly but the trolls originally weren't meant to be involved as they are, but Hussie did Act 5 Act 1 and they were ridiculously popular so he changed things so they would have more focus.
    Part of Hussie's genius is that vast chunks of this story aren't "meant to be" anything in particular. Remember that, for at least the first third of Homestuck, the story was largely driven by The Internet. Certainly the things that drew people in originally are not the things that turned out to be central later but what has always been compelling to me is watching Hussie weave this story and make it feel like he always had some master plan that is slowly unfolding.

A lot like the BSG Reimagined, really. I just hope that, unlike Ronald Moore, Hussie sticks the landing
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

Being compared to Ulysses is not a bad thing, although it's not quite as ludicrous with its word choice as Mr. Joyce. I more or less agree with Oracle_Hunter, with the one addendum being that I'm even less interested in any cohesiveness of plot - the satire works perfectly well as is, and I still like reading the characters talking **** to each other enough to forgive it even if there were almost no plot.

Spoiler: Potato
    Show

Poor Callies.

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I don't see why your so attached to the game as its "meant" to be played.
    Because we spend pages and pages and pages on it.
    It's not that I necessarily need those rules, or consistency, or coherence, I just don't want to spend hours reading something that will never be relevant again. The whole issue with building up houses? The grist? The imps? The planets, their quests, heck, even the sprites, the specibi and the medium - it never really became relevant.
    That would be fine. I don't need everything to be relevant. Background information is cool. But I don't want those non-relevant systems to take up at least three books (the books illustrate this better than the website: except for the character development, almost nothing that happens in books one and two is ever relevant again).

I just find that a shame, because I think it could have been interesting.
    To each its own, though.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I think Hussie has been upfront about what he's doing at MSPA amounts to a bunch of experimenting. He's said that he broke a bunch of storytelling rules, but to him it was worth it because he learned a lot. The experimenting has its good and bad points. The story wouldn't be as groundbreaking without it, but the downside is that you wind up with a much more rambling story. I kind of think that readers should consider themselves lucky just for the fact that he has apparently figured out some sort of way to end the story this time.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    I think Hussie has been upfront about what he's doing at MSPA amounts to a bunch of experimenting. He's said that he broke a bunch of storytelling rules, but to him it was worth it because he learned a lot. The experimenting has its good and bad points. The story wouldn't be as groundbreaking without it, but the downside is that you wind up with a much more rambling story. I kind of think that readers should consider themselves lucky just for the fact that he has apparently figured out some sort of way to end the story this time.
    Fully agreed. It's a journey

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Spoiler: potato
    Show
    Raise your hand if you didn't see that coming as soon as Kanaya said "That Would Be One Way Of Handling It".

Anyone? Anyone at all?

(Yeesh, Karkat. Get a clue!)

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    So... wait, where has Jade met Alt!Calliope before?
    Jade told Calliope about meeting Calliope in a dream that Jade had on her journey across the Yellow Yard. Um, that is to say, she met her in a dream that she had on her journey across the Yellow Yard, and then recounted that meeting in another dream that she had while K.O.'d by Vriska. Um, that is to say, Jade met god tier Calliope in a dream that Jade had on her journey across the Yellow Yard, and then Jade later recounted that meeting to the other Calliope in another dream that Jade had while K.O.'d by Vriska. (There, that should be sufficiently clear now.)

Jade and Calliope had that conversation about god tier Calliope just shortly prior to meeting her, around half a year ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devils_Advocate View Post
    Spoiler: potato
    Show
    Raise your hand if you didn't see that coming as soon as Kanaya said "That Would Be One Way Of Handling It".

Anyone? Anyone at all?

(Yeesh, Karkat. Get a clue!)
    Spoiler: potato cont'd?
    Show
    Yeah, I got the same idea. Thought I want to mention this bit:
    KANAYA: By Following Through With The Duties We Have Fundamentally Tasked Ourselves With By Our Natural Inclinations
    KANAYA: I Mean Us Specifically
    KANAYA: You And I
    KARKAT: DUTIES?
    KARKAT: NATURAL INCLINATIONS?

Did anybody else initially read that as Echidna telling them to 'go forth and multiply'? Reading further I realized that was not at all what it meant*

*probably
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Kay, Karkat got knocked out after failing to understand Kanaya telling him they they need to reproduce.

Now I'm hoping that we will finally get a conversation between Calliope and Karkat. there seems to be very little point to him talking to the trolls again and I want to see Calliope's reaction to meeting him.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Kay, Karkat got knocked out after failing to understand Kanaya telling him they they need to reproduce.

Now I'm hoping that we will finally get a conversation between Calliope and Karkat. there seems to be very little point to him talking to the trolls again and I want to see Calliope's reaction to meeting him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The only Calliope he would meet would be the dead alt-Calliope who beat her brother. She was on her way to her outer ring so she might not be there anymore. Roxy came and got the alpha (friendly) one and took her somewhere. She's also alive now thanks to the ring Roxy gave her. Dreaming Jade may still be around, though, if she's still sleeping.

And I think Karkat understood that they needed to reproduce just fine. I assume that Roxy will eventually create a matriorb, but not for Her Condescension, and it will involve that somehow. But your way of reading it would be the funny way. I can't tell if you were joking, though.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2015-06-05 at 09:31 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Clearly it's just that Echidna is a Level 50 Shipper with more than a few ranks in Knowledge (Relationships) and Diplomacy, she can make any ship she desires come into fruition!

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Default Ironically, it seems that this topic didn't just disappear when its thread ended.

So, while reading bladekindeyewear's blog, I happened upon a post of his explaining how doomed timelines appear to work, which covers a bunch of the evidence for it, so I thought that I'd revisit that subject and explain why I agree with that theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    We are all entitled to our ridiculous headcanons
    Quite so. Let us be careful not to proceed... well, as if a story is nothing but raw data to be deconstructed, and not actually a million different stories that come to life within a million different vehicles of consciousness.

but how does your interpretation explain the absurd numbers of ghosts that we see.
    We know that the A2 session had lots of doomed timelines that contributed to the alpha timeline, because that's where the army of Aradiabots who showed up to help fight the Black King came from. There's no reason to assume that the A1 session didn't as well; wasn't their Time player, like, actively wrecking stuff? A lot of the troll ghosts were probably killed by other trolls.

How does your interpretation explain how few human ghosts we see? I think that the only ones that we ever see are the John and the two Daves in [S] Caliborn: Enter, whose deaths are actually accounted for in the story, because (it is implied) the B1 session didn't have a bunch of doomed timelines. Note how half of the ghosts in that Flash are Aradiabots.

The Ministrife also features an Equius referring to "Aradiabot #100502", and god tier Aradia speaking of him "courting such a great plurality of [her] mechanical doubles", both of which imply an Aradiabot to Equius ratio of much higher than 1 to 1.

Given that showing us the trolls in a variety of different outfits was clearly a goal for the Ministrife, it's notably that the Aradiabots are nevertheless by far the most common, and that we only see one each of Vriska, Meenah, and Gamzee (and no ghost Gamzees), when each of the other trolls gets at least three sprites. (I'm not going to bother with an exact headcount.)

I mean, there's a literal flotilla of ghosts and there don't seem to be many Time Ghosts amongst them.
    I don't think that the group shown there was meant to be a representative sample, though, while the groups of ghosts in the two above-mentioned Flashes were (to differing degrees, because the Ministrife was clearly meant to do something else as well).

But if you want to maintain that those Flashes featured random groups that just so happened to look like they indicate that timelines just end along with everyone in them when they cease to be relevant to the alpha timeline...

0kay. 0_0

Quote Originally Posted by Great equalizer View Post
    Lack of Damara ghosts is indeed strange.
    It looks like they tend to hang out together, probably because of a shared penchant for debauchery and/or the difficulty that most other ghosts have even understanding what they're saying. Horuss suggests that all of them would be "quite a lot of Damaras", although it does seem like there are more Aradiabots.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Upd8.

Spoiler
    Show
    Jasprosesprite^2 is the most wonderful character in Homestuck.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2015-06-14 at 06:27 PM.

15. - Top - End - #165

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Upd8.

Spoiler
    Show
    Jasprosesprite^2 is the most wonderful character in Homestuck.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Absolutely, she's by far the best thing in the history of ever and probably the only way she could get more peppy is if we threw Feferi into the mix.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I can't help but notice Jasprosesprite^2 immediately complimented Caliope's appearance the moment she saw her - you know, that thing that Callie feels incredibly ashamed by.

I wonder if that was deliberate or just a coincidence.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

17. - Top - End - #167

I find 2sprite (not gonna call the full name it's more bothersome than writing this whole complaint on the name itself) kinda obnoxious. Also sort of fun... in small doses.
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Mormegil View Post
    I find 2sprite (not gonna call the full name it's more bothersome than writing this whole complaint on the name itself) kinda obnoxious. Also sort of fun... in small doses.
    Well, it IS at least 1/4 housecat...

I wonder what Jasprose's uh, juxtaformation, will result in. Since like 99% of the stuff that happens, ends up happening for a reason. Maybe 2xsprites get like, a double/quadruple scoop of spritepower?
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I can't help but notice Jasprosesprite^2 immediately complimented Caliope's appearance the moment she saw her - you know, that thing that Callie feels incredibly ashamed by.

I wonder if that was deliberate or just a coincidence.
    Spoiler
    Show

Jasprose has Seer of Light powers remember? its either a deliberate coincidence, or not a coincidence at all.
    she sees these kinds of things.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Either way, it's kinda sweet.

"Hey, person with a huge complex about her appearance and how monstrous it is. Have a dozen compliments about how amazing you look."

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Main thing i don't like about jasperrosesprite^2 is her dang seizure-inducing thing >:P Both sprites were the same colour weren't they!?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Main thing i don't like about jasperrosesprite^2 is her dang seizure-inducing thing >:P Both sprites were the same colour weren't they!?
    Nope. Jaspers was pink, Rose was purple. All the sprites are different colours, using the same set of colours as the kids' writing.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

ah. Still wish she'd stay a solid colour. Like, give her the two-colour scheme thing sure, just don't make her flash between the two colours in rapid sucsession >_>
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Fortunately, it looks like she will stay away for all but one of the next nine batches of updates. Nepeta's sign wasn't shown on the selection screen at all, so hopefully Terezi was wrong about Jasprosesprite^2 prototyping her.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

P-potato?

Spoiler
    Show
    I still love how everyone is just being so nice to Callie. It's so heartwarming to see a character who's never had many friends suddenly surrounded by people eager to make friends and be nice.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    P-potato?

Spoiler
    Show
    I still love how everyone is just being so nice to Callie. It's so heartwarming to see a character who's never had many friends suddenly surrounded by people eager to make friends and be nice.
    Spoiler
    Show
    And also Terezi!

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: pot8o
    Show

::::o

Maybe gettin' back to adventurin' is exactly what Meenah needs.

Also did anyone notice that Jasprose's symbol is now a crescent moon (or an eclipse) with the sun icon's rays?
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

AUGH why are all these potatoes so SHORT

Spoiler: Upd8
    Show
    Yeah, that's kind of weird, neither of them were wearing Derse PJs or anything. Heck, where'd Jaspers' pinstripes go?

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, Jasprose's outfit has elements unique to Rose's dream outfit, for as of yet unexplained reasons. It might have something to do with the Dream Rose from Davesprites timeline.

JASPROSESPRITE^2: Squaring these sprites, it's a marvelous thing. It opens you up! The selves become curiously multidimensional; concentrated!!
    JASPROSESPRITE^2: I recall the lives of many Roses lost. And many Jaspers! Maybe even more than nine. ;3

Or maybe it has some symbolic significance.

30. - Top - End - #180

PirateGuy

New potato with good message IMO. Kind of reminds me of Ep100 of MLP's moral at the end actually, everyone has an important part to play in life simply by living, and even if you're not the main character in someone elses story that doesn't make yours any less important.