New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: MS Paint Adventures VIII: H8ers Gonna H8

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    So I have a question, for those who read the work and are thus far more knowledgeable about it than I could ever be: What, exactly, does the Page of Life do.
    A lot of class/aspect combinations end up working way different than fan theories predict when/if they actually show up in canon but here goes...

The most common life power we've seen is reviving the dead, so a potential-fully-unlocked Page of Life could almost surely do that. They might have other strong healing powers as well. Based on Page of Hope powers, that healing might be an aura effect that works on everything in a wide radius (possibly friend or foe). Maybe they could also grant life to things that weren't alive in the first place? As in actual god-like creation of life.

All of the above is speculation and guesswork since there hasn't been a Page of Life in the comic at all.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

We can be pretty sure that any Page would have a pretty horrible god-tier outfit, though. Not that he would be forced to wear it, I guess.

I'd say that Homestuck is an experience. If you have the time, you should check it out, just so you know what it is, if nothing else. It's just so different than anything else out there. You won't know what you missed unless you give it a try.

Be aware, though, that it's highly experimental. Hussie (the author) never managed to complete any of the other MSPaint Adventure stories. Hussie says that he has a plan to end Homestuck, though, and I'm confident that he does given what's currently going on in the story. Still, you can tell that earlier on he changed his mind several times over where the story was going and that the story blew up into a much bigger project than he had intended it to be. (He thought he was about one year away from completing it a few years ago.) In other words, it's a convoluted story, and expect that some stuff that seems like it will be important will turn out to not be so important. But you won't know what will be important, and it's part of he experience, so I agree with the earlier advice to not skip sections of the story.

Also be aware that we are rapidly approaching 10,000 pages. Some pages are trivial; some contain cool animations; some contain hundreds or thousands of words of dialog; a few are flash games even. Be aware that it's a major time sink if you decide to keep reading.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2015-06-27 at 09:27 AM.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    Hussie (the author) never managed to complete any of the other MSPaint Adventure stories.
    While I agree with everything else, Problem Sleuth is complete
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post
    Yeah, you are right! Somehow my memory took what I read on Wikipedia (or somewhere else) about the first two stories and applied it to Problem Sleuth. I had started to read PS a long time ago, I think, but stopped. Now that I know it has an ending (and one that actually wraps things up), I'll probably read it.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Colossus in the Playground

Okay.

Two statements

1: I read more about the classes. Let's just say that if I find myself inexplicitly transported to a parallel dimension where this stuff is real, I'm hoping the quiz I took is wrong on class.(Aspect is okay, though). A hypothetical for pretending/done on a laugh, it's fine though.

2: I gave actually reading the thing a go. I am two acts in, one sitting.

...The hell did I just read?
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Halfling in the Playground

...The hell did I just read?
    Welcome to the club

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post
    Technically speaking Jailbreak is now complete, too (he went back and gave it an ending a while back.) I mean, its ending is silly and out of nowhere, but so is everything else in Jailbreak, so.

The only one that didn't end at all is Bard Quest, which was an obviously failed experiment.

8. - Top - End - #218

Quote Originally Posted by Great equalizer View Post
    Welcome to the club
    ...I don't even know if I like it or not but I can't stop reading.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

One of us! One of us! One of us!!

Morning Star

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

1: I read more about the classes. Let's just say that if I find myself inexplicitly transported to a parallel dimension where this stuff is real, I'm hoping the quiz I took is wrong on class.(Aspect is okay, though). A hypothetical for pretending/done on a laugh, it's fine though.
    You will probably hope it's wrong even more once you encounter the characters who are the same class (unless you already read about them). They don't get much respect.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

I warned you.

you may have not read it because it was the last post of the last page and thus may have missed it, but I did warn you.

now I can be your annoying time traveler who hints at things that will happen but won't elaborate! such as commenting on how ironic that you have a horse avatar on at the beginning of your trek through this comic, what don't get it? just think it over....just think it over....

oh and beware of clowns and puppets.

and lastly...remember that a lot of homestuck has internet culture in it.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

12. - Top - End - #222

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    now I can be your annoying time traveler who hints at things that will happen but won't elaborate! such as commenting on how ironic that you have a horse avatar on at the beginning of your trek through this comic, what don't get it? just think it over....just think it over....
    Pony.
    oh and beware of clowns and puppets.
    I'm aware of this.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2015-06-27 at 07:57 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Rather than ask for a link to the test, I found one that seems pretty great.

I got Slyph of Heart, followed by Page of Heart when I selected for gender. I'm kind of terrified at the concept of a Page of Heart

Also, I can't help but feel that a Page of Life would be unkillable while in "Over 9000" mode.
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2015-06-27 at 11:11 PM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post

I got Slyph of Heart, followed by Page of Heart when I selected for gender. I'm kind of terrified at the concept of a Page of Heart

Also, I can't help but feel that a Page of Life would be unkillable while in "Over 9000" mode.
    so, i've actually done that exact quiz twice before (bard of blood and prince of doom were my results). but i decided to do it again, and got heir of void that's a pretty big change from the last two

i actually liked the idea of the prince of doom the most, it's my favourite combination
    elemental avatar by kaariane

extended signature

15. - Top - End - #225

So. After reading the third act, I have decided that aww hell yess I like this thing.

I was particularly amused by TG successfully counter trolling the troll that I strongly suspect is a literal troll.(since everybody on the net know about homestuck trolls)

I also noticed that Tg/Dave's hair looks kinda like a someone bleached a crow and then it fell asleep on his head.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Taking this one for comparison with the other I took, taking twice differing only in one (the third)question, because I honestly could not decide between two answers.

First: Page of Breath

Second: Muse of Breath.

Doing this a third time, since I think Muses are supposed to be Female Exclusive, changing just that one answer: Page of Breath Again.

So this quiz averages out to Page of Breath and the other was Page of Life.

So. Definitely the page of something.

I'm kind of terrified at the concept of a Page of Heart
    Okay, I'm not to that point yet and I only skimmed the aspects, so what exactly is frightening about one who "creates and/or exploits" hearts or "arms others with" hearts?

Assuming that the MSPA Wiki contains accurate information about the Class.

Newb question: is "Over 9000" mode referring to to the top rungs of the echeladder, some point in the god tiers, or a specific instance of the meme in question being referenced in relation to a character demonstrating significant power.

My spell check knows echeladder.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2015-06-27 at 11:56 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

Newb question: is "Over 9000" mode referring to to the top rungs of the echeladder, some point in the god tiers, or a specific instance of the meme in question being referenced in relation to a character demonstrating significant power.

My spell check knows echeladder.
    Specifically to the point in a Page's career when they come fully into their aspect/power; all classes can do it, but a Page is much more potent once they do.

From the test, I got Maid of Light! I like it.
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2015-06-28 at 12:21 AM.
    Morning Star

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

Assuming that the MSPA Wiki contains accurate information about the Class.
    See, that's the thing, we don't have much actual information about classes and aspects; it's mostly vague hints and speculation. Basically all we actually know about Pages is that they have great potential but usually take a long time to reach it.

I also wouldn't put much stock in a personality quiz that attempts to link the results to such a poorly understood system...

18. - Top - End - #228

I don't know, "starts weak but kicks ass later" sort of sounds like something that would fit me, or at least interest me, even if I'm not so sure about the rest of the package.

One of the most fun roleplays I'm in and have ever been in started with PCs literally being fifth grade school children.

They are now counted among the powerhouses of their region.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2015-06-28 at 12:36 AM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Orc in the Playground

Okay, I'm not to that point yet and I only skimmed the aspects, so what exactly is frightening about one who "creates and/or exploits" hearts or "arms others with" hearts?
    In this case the word "Heart" is apparently interchangeable with "Soul." As in the kind you sell to the devil, not the kind that turns you into a brilliant jazz musician.

...My headcanon just changed DRASTICALLY.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

Rogue of Breath.
    ...I find your lack of faith... disturbing.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

I also noticed that Tg/Dave's hair looks kinda like a someone bleached a crow and then it fell asleep on his head.
    It makes me unfairly upset when new people seem to see this on their first read-through when me and my posse that have been through this since the beginning didn't realize it until about a year ago. It's just like... how did we not see this sooner?!

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

I've always really liked homestuck's class system. Took the quiz above, came out Rogue of Hope, which is interesting. Basically, I literally steal hope away from my enemies and share it with my friends. Which sounds a lot like snatching victory out of the jaws of defeat. Makes me think of the typical "heroic leader" type, who passively steals hope from his enemies and shares it with his friends with a "never give up" attitude.

I don't know, "starts weak but kicks ass later" sort of sounds like something that would fit me, or at least interest me, even if I'm not so sure about the rest of the package.

One of the most fun roleplays I'm in and have ever been in started with PCs literally being fifth grade school children.

The basic idea of the Page, from what I've gathered, is that they're the ultimate untapped potential. That is, there's an absolutely massive amount of power stored away in them (supposedly), but for the vast majority of their lives, they're pretty pathetic, and not just in combat, but also socially and in other areas. And there's no guarantee that they'll ever reach that potential, they can very easily die before that happens, and in fact that seems to be the more likely of the two outcomes. If they do manage to unlock that potential, though...well, we've only heard of it happening once, from an unreliable source and possibly an alternate timeline, but from that account an unlocked page is potentially the single most powerful being in the entire homestuck universe. Which is saying a helluva lot.

Pages also tend to have a "defecit" in their aspect because of their class. As a Page of Life, you'd probably start the session out dead (literally, a lack of life), and spend most of the game wandering about as a useless ghost. Pairing in with the "useless until to go big" thing, you'd probably have little real ability to help anyone else out with your aspect, maybe at best you could heal some minor wounds or make people feel healthier or other little things like that. You might be powerful compared to a normal person, but you'll always be well behind any else of your "level". Once you unlock your true potential, you'd basically be the ultimate healer and life-giver. You would likely be able to heal any wounds, bring people back to life at will, be next to unkillable yourself, and very likely be able to even create new life, in any shape or form you wanted.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

Another thing of note:

We have never seen or heard of a Page reaching their full potential in a "sustained" fashion. Every time a Page's power has been accessed, it was a sudden overwhelming eruption which then died down. It's possible that a Page's true power is meant to be something they tap in a Limit Break sort of manner, rather than a transcendent enlightenment they ascend to permanently.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2015-06-28 at 10:05 AM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I agree with AgentPaper's reply. It's not just that a Page starts incredibly weak, it's that they stay incredibly weak and don't get any respect and usually die that way. Unlocking their power is very much the exception. And it's not just their Aspect powers, it's really their entire personalities that are weak, typically.

I was thinking of saying earlier that you would especially not want to be a Page if you had encountered the Pages in the story, so I'll say it now. There were three: one died after working very hard all of the time, but never amounted to anything special according to a story we were told about him. The other two are fairly significant characters in the story currently, but both are pretty pathetic. (One of the characters is such a weenie that I find him extremely annoying.) When assignments were given out recently, the two Pages pointedly got the easiest and least important one. It's gotten to the point that Hussie (the author) will be pretty much required to make at least one of them unlock their potential later (it's been foreshadowed), actually, but meanwhile it's pretty bad.

(Hopefully that was vague enough to not be too spoilerish. I know you must be seeing spoilers on the MSPA wiki, anyway.)

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

I got Knight of Light on that test.

which basically means I fight to defend my friends using luck. I can critical hit anything I want. Give me a six-shooter and I will One-Hit Kill everything. Call me Robin Hood, cause I always hit my target.

26. - Top - End - #236

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    The basic idea of the Page, from what I've gathered, is that they're the ultimate untapped potential. That is, there's an absolutely massive amount of power stored away in them (supposedly), but for the vast majority of their lives, they're pretty pathetic, and not just in combat, but also socially and in other areas. And there's no guarantee that they'll ever reach that potential, they can very easily die before that happens, and in fact that seems to be the more likely of the two outcomes. If they do manage to unlock that potential, though...well, we've only heard of it happening once, from an unreliable source and possibly an alternate timeline, but from that account an unlocked page is potentially the single most powerful being in the entire homestuck universe. Which is saying a helluva lot.
    ...That sounds more like me and what I fear about the future than I care to admit.

I'm thinking that first quiz was on the money when it said it was "The most accurate."

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Another thing of note:

We have never seen or heard of a Page reaching their full potential in a "sustained" fashion. Every time a Page's power has been accessed, it was a sudden overwhelming eruption which then died down. It's possible that a Page's true power is meant to be something they tap in a Limit Break sort of manner, rather than a transcendent enlightenment they ascend to permanently.
    And that sounds like Gohan from Dragonball... Up until the end of the Cell Saga.
    Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    I agree with AgentPaper's reply. It's not just that a Page starts incredibly weak, it's that they stay incredibly weak and don't get any respect and usually die that way. Unlocking their power is very much the exception. And it's not just their Aspect powers, it's really their entire personalities that are weak, typically.

I was thinking of saying earlier that you would especially not want to be a Page if you had encountered the Pages in the story, so I'll say it now. There were three: one died after working very hard all of the time, but never amounted to anything special according to a story we were told about him. The other two are fairly significant characters in the story currently, but both are pretty pathetic. (One of the characters is such a weenie that I find him extremely annoying.) When assignments were given out recently, the two Pages pointedly got the easiest and least important one. It's gotten to the point that Hussie (the author) will be pretty much required to make at least one of them unlock their potential later (it's been foreshadowed), actually, but meanwhile it's pretty bad.

(Hopefully that was vague enough to not be too spoilerish. I know you must be seeing spoilers on the MSPA wiki, anyway.)
    Don't worry, I'm not too big on Spoilers(Though I am trying to go itno this one elativly blind, since I'm sort of wishing I hadn't been spoiler on a big plot twist in the last thing I got into.
    I got Knight of Light on that test.

which basically means I fight to defend my friends using luck. I can critical hit anything I want. Give me a six-shooter and I will One-Hit Kill everything. Call me Robin Hood, cause I always hit my target.
    This is good fit for you, you think?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

This is good fit for you, you think?
    well here is the thing, Homestuck classes are a lot about the person themselves than just their abilities.

you said that it describes you in a way that fears for your future than you care to admit- thats half the point, according to the webcomic, because the title is about how your supposed to grow, sort of- like, its not just your abilities, but your problems. Homestuck is a webcomic about teenagers growing up, and the titles are sort of like, HOW they grow up.

Knights? they tend to have great talent, but lack the confidence in their talents and their journey is about discovering that confidence. Light is about significance/luck/seeing the way forward/ and such. so I can interpret it to mean that while I have talents in such an area, I may lack the confidence for them, which I think does describe me- I am in college, and I do have talents which I'm good at, but I'm uncertain about whether my talents would be good enough, y'see? so technically I am a Knight of Light, in that I not confident about my future, despite my talents being good, y'know?

thing is though, the whole thing is designed for people younger than me. I might've already grown past my thing. when I was 13-14 I was dealing with major anger management issues- perhaps my title then would be like.....Prince of Rage or something since I needed to learn to calm down and deal with my stress- to "Destroy" my Rage. who knows, but I can interpret it to mean that I am a Knight of Light now, but I'm more complex than that- who knows, maybe your not really a Page of Life after all? online tests like that are just astrological signs 2.0. I just readings like that because while I don't actually believe them as accurate, I like the descriptions because they associate me with things I like. so whatevs.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

Took a test years ago that said I was the Heir of Blood and my girlfriend was the Mage of Void. Still no idea what either of those things could mean, though.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

thing is though, the whole thing is designed for people younger than me. I might've already grown past my thing.
    A fascinating point!

I decided to retake the test and answer it as I would have when I was 13-14 years old. While most of the answers did change (which is good!) I was surprised to find a few did not. In any case, my result was Mage of Light. Fancy!

Despite what the quiz says, I feel that Mages are more than "dudes with magic" -- and not just because magic is totally fake

Spoiler: Headcanon
    Show
    Both of the Mages we've seen are talented tinkerers in their Aspect: one is a master of a death-based programming language; the other is a shipper without peer. Indeed, this tinkering may seem more "magical" because it deals with immaterial concerns (e.g. programs, relationships) than concrete ones.

In this sense, a Mage of Light might manipulate Destiny at a further remove than a Rogue (who steals fortune for herself!) or a Seer (who merely sees and advices, as opposed to pulling on the threads of Fate).

And, of course, Internet Quizes are for Entertainment Purposes Only and should not be taken at all seriously
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2015-06-28 at 04:46 PM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Took a test years ago that said I was the Heir of Blood and my girlfriend was the Mage of Void. Still no idea what either of those things could mean, though.
    An Heir of Blood would essentially be "someone protected by their relationships". I'd imagine it as someone who has a large network of friends/family/loved ones who are willing to and often do go out of their way to help you out. We don't know too much about heirs other than that, it seems to be one of the simpler classes, you just kinda get your aspect handed to you early on, even if it isn't always obvious that you have it.

A Mage of Void would be "someone who helps themselves using knowledge of nothingness". Basically, someone who knows everything there is to know about nothingness, and uses that knowledge to set an example for an guide their friends. This is a bit of a strange combination (most Void pairings are though), so it's hard to say exactly what it means, but Void players seem to often be powerful in unexpected ways.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.