New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Emotions in D&D (rage, fear, etc.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contra...el_of_emotions

D&D seems to have solid models for rage and fear, but not for other emotions. Inspired by the above link, here is a first pass wip to model other emotions, each at three different levels of intensity.

Joy vs. Sadness

Maybe something based off Elysium/Hades planar settings? Low-level joy (“serenity”) has conventionally been used as a means of negating existing emotional states.

Desire vs. Hate

Desire I: You suffer a -4 penalty on Sense Motive rolls against the desired creature.
    Desire II:
    Desire III: You feel a strong urge to be in the presence of the desired object or creature (sympathy spell). You must succeed at an opposed Charisma check to resist any “suggestions” from the desired creature (treat as suggestion spell, castable any number of times, but only one suggestion can be active at a time).

Hate I: You suffer a -4 penalty on Charisma checks (except Intimidate) against the hated creature. You gain a +4 bonus on fear saves and morale checks that are caused by the hated creature.
    Hate II: You must pass a DC 15 Will save to retreat from a hated enemy. If you fail, you may recheck one minute later. You must pass a DC 15 Will save to resist the urge to pursue if the enemy retreats.
    Hate III: You feel a strong urge to get away from the presence of the desired object or creature (antipathy spell). If the object of your disgust is a threat or easily destroyed, you must instead attack it (mmorpg aggro).

Fear vs. Rage

Rage I: Character gains a +2 bonus on Strength and Constitution-based checks (including relevant attack rolls), and on Will saves. Character takes a -2 penalty to AC. Character gains DR 2/—. Cannot use Concentration skill, Charisma, Dexterity, or Intelligence-based skills (except Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride). Cannot cast spells or activate magic items. (As barbarian 1).
    Rage II: As above, except bonuses increase to +3, and DR becomes 3/—. (As barbarian 11).
    Rage III: As above, except bonuses increase to +4, and DR becomes 4/—. (As barbarian 20).

Fear I: -2 penalty on all d20 rolls (“shaken”).
    Fear II: As above, and must flee if possible (“frightened”).
    Fear III: As above, and drop anything held. Cannot take other actions. If unable to flee, must cower (“panicked”). Cowering characters cannot take actions, suffer a -2 penalty to AC, and lose Dexterity bonus to AC.

Amazement vs. Anticipation

Amazement I: Character suffers a -4 penalty on surprise checks and initiative checks.
    Amazement II: As Amazement I, and character must pass a DC 15 Will save at the end of their turn each round or become flat-footed (no attacks of opportunity, no Dexterity bonus to AC).
    Amazement III: As Amazement I, and character must succeed on a DC 15 Will save at the start of each round or be considered stunned and flat-footed until their next turn (drop everything held, can’t take actions, -2 AC, no Dexterity bonus to AC).

Anticipation I: Character gains a +2 bonus on surprise and initiative checks.
    Anticipation II: Character gains a +4 bonus on surprise and initiative checks, and a +4 bonus on checks to resist combat manoeuvres and on Sense Motive checks.
    Anticipation III: Character gains a +6 bonus on surprise and initiative checks, and a +6 bonus on checks to resist combat manoeuvres and on Sense Motive checks.

Notes

Emotions in green are entirely or mostly beneficial.
    I renamed Trust to Desire, to reflect that we can experience such emotions related to things as well as to people.
    I renamed Anger to Rage, to reflect conventional D&D terminology. Warhammer also calls this frenzy.
    I renamed Surprise to Amazement, because D&D terminology has a specific meaning for the word Surprise.
    Last edited by Ashtagon; 2015-04-28 at 01:05 AM.