1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default High loading times / cannot load graphics [desktop]

Hi.
    Despite many attempts over the last couple days I have been unable to load the latest oots #981. This is on my desktop comp (win7) as well as on my mobile phone (android). The graphics (i.e. both the cartoon image itself as well as some of the button graphics of the website etc) load very slowly (or don't start at all) and the cartoon (being the largest size) never finishes and just times out after a while.
    The problem has existed before 981, I remember it started some time after #980, i.e. some time mid april.

Normally I wouldn't post about things like this, because, well, it happens.
    But it's been going on for a couple of weeks now, so I thought I'd mention it, in case something can be done about it on your end. (Note: The problem is not on my end as far as I can tell - all other sites load normally, my bandwidth usage is practically at zero as I'm writing this).

Oh yeah, I'm Europe-based (Germany), in case that narrows the troubleshooting down any. (Routing issue?)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: High loading times / cannot load graphics [desktop]

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but I visit this site practically daily and never encounter any of these issues, so the problem is most likely your Internet service. Have you tried checking the site from a different location such as a library or some place that offers free wi-fi?
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

"What you must learn is that these rules are no different than the rules of a computer system. Some of them can be bent. Others can be broken." - Morpheus, The Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Krellen View Post
    Remember, Evil isn't "selfish". It's Evil. "Look out for number one" is a Neutral attitude. Evil looks out for number one while crushing number two.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    This probably isn't what you want to hear, but I visit this site practically daily and never encounter any of these issues, so the problem is most likely your Internet service. Have you tried checking the site from a different location such as a library or some place that offers free wi-fi?
    *shrug* I'm not saying it's impossible, I just don't think it's very likely, considering I don't have this problem with any other site (so far anyway).

I have not tried from a different network (and don't really intend to do so). I figured out that if I access the site with my android phone I can at least load the image completely, even if it takes forever. I guess android-firefox doesn't have the same timeout mechanics as its desktop version because mobile internet is just expected to be slow at times ;)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I am experiencing the same problems! And interestingly I am from Germany, too, so there might be a regional problem.
    The problem persists since strip 880 (could be 879) and affects the entire site, posting this message took an eternity. And it's definately neither my internetconnection nor my PC since I face the same problems on my laptop and all other sites are working fine.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Another German here, same problems. Seems to be a regional thing indeed.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Another German, same problem here:
    Starting with the publication of page OOTS #984, I can no longer load the comic pages. All I get is a broken thumbnail. This affects all OOTS pages, even older ones. Also, the site itself loads extremely slowly. This happens regardless if I load the comic page directly from the RSS feed or if I open the comic and try to jump between pages with the arrows.

I have a souped-up desktop PC for online gaming, plus highspeed broadband access, Windows 7, I use Firefox browser.
    I don't have this problem on other websites. Other webcomics, videos, etc load just fine.

EDIT to add: Nevermind, after trying yet again tonight, it finally managed to load the pages.
    Last edited by Tobrian; 2015-05-14 at 08:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sardia View Post
    Well, if you spent the main part of your career seeing ungodly monstrosities, violations of the laws of physics, occasionally coming back from the dead, being attacked by creatures natural and unnatural, chased by things a hundred times your size, etc, etc...I'd see the need for some stress release.
    Quote Originally Posted by Attilargh View Post
    "Laughter", while a necessary part of the word "manslaughter", is considered poor taste when committing the act itself.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

I'm not anywhere near Germany, but when I get really laggy and/or infinite loading but nothing actually loads, I do this:
    • log out of your account (always first)
    • clear all your cookies
    • close your internet browser
    • clear all your internet cache stuff

Clearing your cookies and your internet cache might happen before or after you close your internet browser. For me, logging out gives me a message about cookies cleared. I then close the whole browser and use CCleaner to clean all my caches before I log back in. 90% success rate. Only started being a problem in the last month for me, but so far it's a workaround that works for me.

additional: As a matter of curiosity, are you all using Firefox? I know one of you is, as am I, maybe it's a Firefox problem.
    Last edited by Winter_Wolf; 2015-05-14 at 09:33 PM. Reason: additional question
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Lost in the Playground Administrator

Thank you all for that information. After some investigation, I have determined that all three of you are using the same ISP. So, I suspect that your ISP may have some form of transparent proxy which cached a corrupted copy of the images and is trying to deliver them to you.

If the problem persists, do any of you have any way to connect to a different ISP in order to see if that resolves the issue? If so, be sure to clear your own cache in the process.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

There we go. After half an hour, I managed to register and reach the "post reply" panel.

Same issues here (in case you haven't guessed from the last line).
    From Germany
    ISP Telekom
    Firefox/Chrome (no difference)
    Windows/Mac (neither)

I kinda doubt that this is a problem with Telekom. Not only is it the biggest ISP here, but this page is the ONLY page I have ever seen such a behaviour, outside of home-owned ftp servers in the early '00s, in the past 15 years of heavy internet use.