New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920

Thread: Crash & Burn IC

1. - Top - End - #571
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Crash & Burn IC

Ethan

Hearing Joresh's mental query, Ethan responds saying, <Paladin he may be, but the man is also a soldier. One who before today thought he was very much at peace, or at least, not going to need to respond to quite so much so unexpectedly. We need to give him something to make his superiors happy, and to give him a clear enemy to defeat. I say we pit him against Raulz, as he will anyway, after making it clear that Raulz and his compatriots are traitors to Karrnath and no more than bandits and highwaymen at this point. It might also be good to label ourselves as private investigators hired by Breland to look into and stop the terrorist bombings occurring recently. Might give us the political heft to let us explain things properly and smooth the ruffled feathers... Though that runs the risk of red tape...>

2. - Top - End - #572
    Titan in the Playground

Three looks towards Joresh and Ethan in turn, saying nothing for the moment. He simply states at various points around the station: the stalled lighting rail currently parked in the middle of the gap between the two platforms, the collonade and thoroughfare filled with blood and silence. And all of you, waiting for somebody to take the lead in explaining things to the Thranish captain. He shrugs.

"I am just a messenger from King Boranel. He asks, and I act." Grumbling again, he nods to your group. Perhaps it's for the best, as the warforged doesn't seem to enjoy talking all that much. His body language and attitude this far all but shout 'you're on your own'.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ogre in the Playground

<I would prefer to avoid lying if possible. If they discover our deception, it could undermine whatever goodwill we can earn here. They know we are connected to King Boranel, and unless I was mistaken, that was our most incriminating secret.

While I'm not particularly well versed in the subtleties of Khorvarin Politics, I don't think we can trust the Powers that Be within Thrane to have enough common sense to make the distinction between Karnnathi loyal to King Kaius and renegade Blood cultists. Remember, these were the people who decided that the most rational response to random bombs going off in foreign cities was to seal the borders. Common Sense is a rare commodity in Thrane these days. If we claim that Raulz was responsible, I don't think its a great stretch of the imagination for some of the more Xenophobic Cardinals to proclaim that Kaius orchestrated the whole plot. The Conspiracy wants to start another war. Let's not do their work for them.>

Joresh felt a flicker of annoyance, and directed another mental inquiry at the Warforged. <I get it. Your not a people person. But can you at least tell me exactly what you told the Paladin about my group and its purpose? If our stories don't match up, things will get very difficult. For us and King Boranel.>

Joresh stood back, thus inviting another member of the group to speak to the Captain on their behalf. The Captain seemed persistent on holding the Mark agianst him, and he hoped the Captain would be more willing to listen to one of the more 'righteous' members of the group. In another time, Joresh might have protested agianst the Captain's attitude, but the most important thing right now was to get the Captain on their side.
    Last edited by Rofltrollcopter; 2015-08-29 at 12:00 PM.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

<We can't go to cardinals which means we can't go to the Speaker. Our best bet is to go to the Queen Diani, she might have less power then the Diet but she still has some. And I don't know about the rest of you but I wouldn't be happy with a Theocracy if it supplanted my royal power. That might make her more open to listening to us, a little bit more rational. Because right now we really do need a rational authority figure to listen to us. Plus I bet she'd be much less likely to judge you for that mark on your hand if she saw it.>

<That being said, I have no idea how to spin this business with Raulz. It's no secret that Karrnath and Thrane despise one another. If the paladin hates them as much as any other Thrane then his judgment might be clouded. Especially if it comes out that we were behind them being redeployed. We need to stall for time, see if we can get more out of Three about what he's said and get an audience with the Queen. > Shimmris wasn't exactly sure that all Thranes hated all Karns. But judging from what he heard and grown up around he figured it was a safe assumption to make.

"You have every right to be stressed about all of this. I hope you'll take me at my word when I say that despite the mark on his hand," Shimmris raises his hand up and jabs a thumb in Joresh's direction. "He's telling the truth, we mean no harm to you or your nation. I'd like to think that our actions here speak to the honesty of what of I'm saying." He then raises his other hand in a sweeping motion, taking in all the carnage of the station before scratching his head with it. It is a deliberate action, meant to show the absence of any sort of marks on his hands. "You have questions. I will do my best to answer them." And pray to the memory of my parents that your a rational man.
    "The answer to your question about that man and King Boranel lies more with us then it does the messenger. We've been tasked with Breland with stopping the bombings that have been occurring in the five nations. Your no doubt familiar with them. We are not spies. Nor do we have any intention of causing your homeland harm." He lets the answer hang in the air. How well the captain took the news would doubtless factor into his answers, or lacktherof, to the paladin's other questions.
    Last edited by n0ble; 2015-08-29 at 06:39 PM.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Titan in the Playground

Three looks at the Thranish paladin flatly. "They speak the truth. Boranel sent them to help you."

Otherro doesn't say anything for a long time. For a moment, you're not quiet certain whether he's even listening, but he suddenly raises his head to look at Calandras again. "Okay... okay. Here's what's going to happen. The bombers here will be taken into custody, the scene will be processed for fresh evidence, and all of us here will take a trip up to Thalingard to visit the Queen." He pauses, as though to make sure the words that just left his mouth even make sense to him. "I want to see what Diani thinks of all of this. This is above my pay grade, so to speak. And... I'm still not sure what to think about all of this. I will reserve my judgment on your intentions for the time being."

"If you would like a minute to examine the scene, now would be our chance. There will be time to interrogate the prisoners later." With a wave of his right hand, the captain summons more guards and knights to show you the way to the castle... and prevent you from leaving if you try.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ogre in the Playground

Joresh raised an eyebrow. He's going to let a so-called 'evil' man into the same room as his Queen?

Thank you Cal.

Captain. If your going to have investigators come by, make sure that at least one of them can use Detect Magic. Have your best men guard the prisoners. I strongly suspect that the bombers have associates in the city. It would be very unfortunate if they died while in your custody.
    Joresh tried to not sound bitter as he spoke that last sentence, but it was hard for him.

I believe that's everything. Lead on Captain.
    Last edited by Rofltrollcopter; 2015-08-30 at 11:24 PM.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Ettin in the Playground

Ethan

Ethan looks down at his outfit, still covered in road grit and even a bit of blood here or there. Hardly seems appropriate attire to see a queen in... still, with tensions being what they are I might want to refrain from pulling out the dress uniform until the pot cools down.

Ethan stretches until his back pops and falls in behind the captain. "Hope Her Majesty doesn't mind if we look a little worse for wear."

8. - Top - End - #578
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    added the overchannel damage to the Character sheet

Joresh winced as his migraine worsened by an order of magnitude. It turned that the symphony of discomfort in his brain were only a warm-up act for the main event, which featured a chamber choir filled with tone deaf Warforged. Can we stop at a Tavern on the way over to see the Queen? I need a strong drink and a healing spell. Preferably in that order
    Last edited by Rofltrollcopter; 2015-08-31 at 03:30 PM.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Titan in the Playground

Ignatius breathes a sigh of relief (both literal and metaphorical) that their plan succeeded and the lives of the station's occupants were spared. While they clear out and Three and Joresh speak with the captain, he silently prays for the souls of the bombers. The fact that the surviving ones surrendered implies that they were tools, not martyrs, and the deaths of innocents are always to be mourned even if they were necessary.

"Thank you for the opportunity," he tells the captain when the latter gives them time to investigate. "I believe I will take you up on that offer. In the meantime, I have a request, if you don't mind: could you please ensure that we are updated regarding the team that went to check on Atrelioth as soon as you hear back from them? If we're ever going to get to the bottom of this conspiracy, getting a hold of him is a top priority." With that, the gnome places a hand on his holy symbol and casts a few spells to help him examine the bodies of the bombers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ignatius casts divine insight, then expends it and takes 10 on a Search check for a result of 21, then casts detect magic and examines what's left of the bodies.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

10. - Top - End - #580
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Based on what 3SC said, I assume everyone ended the game at level 15.

<Three Years after the Battle of Thronehold>

Joresh levitated down about 500 steps into the dark pit. Once he reached the bottom, he moved along a short hallway. His steps were surefooted, he did not need to rely upon his physical senses anymore. His thoughts drifted to the task ahead of him. While they had been ransacking Shaldra's workshop, Joresh came across a thick tome called The Codex Anathema.

It had proven to be quite interesting.

He arrived at the edge of the pit, and manifested his power. A sphere of water appeared in the darkness, and plunged down onto the desiccated body. Joresh sidestepped a tentacle that lashed out of the pit, as a telepathic voice roared into his mind.

<INSOLENCE/OUTRAGE/INDIGNATION>

<and its nice to see you again too.> Joresh quipped. The Aboleth assaulted his mind, seeking to enslave him. Joresh stood there calmly, his Mind Blank ensured that his will could not be broken. <That's quite enough of that>

He counterattacked, and the Aboleth ceased its struggles as it became Dominated <Let's continue where we left off shall we?> Joresh plunged into the Aboleth's mind. The Codex Anathema described some peculiar characteristics of these creatures. An Aboleth possessed the memories of all Aboleths it was descended from, which summed up to 10 million years of memories, going all the way back to the Age of Demons. The Aboleth's Ancestral Memories represented an incalculable treasure of information. It would take more then a lifetime to explore them all, and Joresh planned to have that time.

There were many subjects Joresh was interested in, but today he was looking for information about the Old Quori, the first inhabitants of Dal Quor. Their kind had been wiped from existence, and all the knowledge that they possessed about Psionics had been thought to be lost with them. I'll have to visit that part of Xen'drik sometime he thought to himself.

He levitated out of the hole, making sure to seal up the passageway behind him. The entrance opened up top of a tropical island, somewhere between Argonessen and Sarlona. He wandered over to the water's edge and sat down. Interpreting the Aboleth's alien thoughts had been tiring, and he needed a break from his schedule. It's a beautiful day. Joresh said out loud. He wasn't sure why he bothered. There wasn't another soul around for miles, that was why he picked the island to be his hideout. He waited for a moment, hoping to hear another voice in his mind. It had been a while since Hero had stopped communicating with him. Joresh didn't know why, and that scared him. He gazed down at the water. His eyes looked tired and sullen, and his clothes were dirty and torn. He hadn't bothered to clean himself up in days, not since the dinner at the Aundairan Embassy in Zilargo a week ago.

He thought back on the events that had lead him to this point. They chased Shaldra and her associates around the Continent, only to discover at the last second they intended to assassinate all the Rulers who had gathered for peace talks at Thronehold. They teleported back, and engaged in a climatic and rather public duel. They had all become household names, a censored and family friendly version of their adventures had became a top selling novel. After talking precautions to ensure that the Paladin's 'detect evil' ability failed to work, Joresh was even accepted in Thrane. He wasn't if any of his party members had been fooled by his apparent change of heart.

Now, he possessed a sizable fortune in magical items, was a regular guest in the halls of the mighty, and by his estimation he was the most powerful Psion outside of Sarlona. Everything was going exactly according to plan.

So why did he feel worried?

He pulled out a Wand of Sending, and stared at it for a while. He was overcome by anxiety, not sure if he could deal with meeting him again. They hadn't spoke to each other in over two years. He made up his mind, and sent a message to Ignatius.

Do you have time to catch up this afternoon? If yes, respond with location for Teleportation.
    Last edited by Rofltrollcopter; 2015-10-07 at 11:11 PM.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Titan in the Playground

"...and once Shaldra was neutralized, we all went our separate ways," Ignatius concluded his well-practiced story as the students of his Post-War Politics class looked up with awe and admiration in their eyes. Several hands shot up in the air to ask questions, but Ignatius waved them away and began ticking points off on his fingers. "No, we have not seen each other since; this wasn't something to be celebrated with yearly reunions, like a graduation ceremony or the like. Yes, the novelization is quite exaggerated. Yes, Greysen was exactly as sadistic as he was portrayed to be. No, the events in chapter seventeen did not happen at all the way they were portrayed. No, I will not explain how the bombs worked. Does that answer most of your questions?"

All of the hands went down, their owners bearing expressions of satisfaction at having their questions answered or annoyance at being so predictable. "And finally," he admonished, "what is the most important takeaway from my part in the adventure? Do I deserve the glory and accolades that were heaped upon me?" No, because it wasn't you helping to save Khorvaire, it was just the Host working through you, came the chorused reply from those who have heard his lecture before. "Precisely. And perhaps if I keep repeating that often enough, you students will believe me someday," he said with a smile. He nodded to indicate that the lecture was done, and the students quickly packed up and rushed out of the classroom to grab lunch.

Within hours after the public ceremony honoring his and his friends' efforts in preventing another war, Ignatius was offered a part-time teaching position at Morgrave University, which he accepted happily. He was also offered a plethora of speaking engagements, which he also accepted on the condition that they weren't too highly publicized and that his speaker's fee was donated to the Church of the Host or another suitable charity. In every speech, and in every lecture he gave regarding the events--at least two per semester, but his fame seemed to be dying down now that several years had passed, thank the Host--he emphasized his teammates' role in the whole affair and downplayed his own, which paradoxically only improved his reputation. Ah, well...in another year or two this would all be behind him, and he could enjoy relative anonymity once more, or at least the greatest degree of anonymity that can be afforded to a priest granted honorary membership in every single Council of the Host in Khorvaire.

His musings were interrupted by a mental message that caused him to start. Now that's a voice I haven't heard in a while. His answer to the students about not having seen his teammates since the battle with Shaldra wasn't quite accurate--he'd met with them individually on occasion, just not all at once as everyone expected them to--but he'd had the least contact with Joresh. "Certainly. I'm currently heading back to my Morgrave office, we can meet there at your convenience."
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ogre in the Playground

Joresh used another charge of the wand to send a response to Ignatius. I'll meet you there soon. He took note of his disheveled appearance from his reflection of the water. Joresh banished his filthy clothes back into its component ectoplasm, and while he was standing there, he invoked another power. A ball of water materialized in the air and crashed down onto him, doing an acceptable job of washing away the dirt and grime from his earlier activities. He had grown accustomed to the mundane utility offered to him by his powers. After creating a set of replacement clothes and drying himself off, he teleported.

Joresh had never visited Morgrave University before, although he had found himself doing business in Sharn several times. He ignored the startled gasps of several onlookers as he materialized in a street corner on the other side of the world. Pardon me. He said nonchalantly would someone be so kind as to tell me the directions to Morgrave University? ... Thank you very much, your too kind. He fished out a few gold coins and handed them to the beggar whose mind he read. I suspect your leg is infected, you should go to a House Jorasco clinic and get it treated. Joresh turned around and went on his way, leaving the rather confused man behind him.

Joresh approached the gates and passed through the milling crowd of students. He scanned the crowd carefully, and took note of the guard making her way towards him. Apparently the magic items on his person had attracted attention. It was somewhat reassuring to see security protocols like that being implemented. He implanted a suggestion in the guard's mind to make her think that there was nothing to worry about.

After consulting a few errant minds and a map, he made his way towards the building hosting Ignatius's office. Joresh was startled when he saw recognition in the eyes of a group of students. Wait, when did they make a novel? He made a mental note to have words with a certain author if he could spare the time. His public reputation was spotty enough as it was, especially after details about the 'mark of justice' incident had started to become public knowledge. Not to mention the fact that Joresh hadn't seen a single gold coin from the profits. He passed through his corridor, and arrived at a plain wooden door with Ignatius's name embossed on a plate beside it. Joresh knocked on the door and waited.