New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1476
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Girl Genius XVIII: Invisible Hand of the Legendary Smoke Knights

I really don't think he minds being a monster one bit.

New page
    Spoiler
    Show
    Seffie's connection to Gil seems to be getting stronger. Someone may need to do an archive troll for flashbacks and see if she was a student on Castel Wulfenbach.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Someone may need to do an archive troll for flashbacks and see if [Sephie] was a student on Castle Wulfenbach.
    I'm pretty sure that she wasn't, but this actually raises an interesting question: why not? Sephie and Martellus should by all logic have been students on the Castle with Gil and Tarvek, yet weren't. Did the Baron consider their families to be insufficiently important? Did he think that Tarvek would be enough to keep the entire family in line? Were these recognisable and prestigious nobles somehow hidden from him?
    Last edited by SZbNAhL; 2015-10-05 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Typos

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Colossus in the Playground

I dont think agatha really needs martellus' help to fix her issue, she just has yet to get the spare freaking time to work on it what with being constantly under attack, working under absurdly short deadlines, etc etc etc. She was able to create a work around quickly enough after all.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

New comic:

Spoiler
    Show
    I was surprised that it's Martellus, rather than Seffie, that Colette wants to keep busy. Not that Colette wouldn't want to to keep Martellus busy, but Martellus isn't particularly vain nor social. He thinks that he needs to impress everyone else in order to get people to accept his claim to be the Storm King, though, so that makes this masked ball important to him.

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    I'm pretty sure that she wasn't, but this actually raises an interesting question: why not? Sephie and Martellus should by all logic have been students on the Castle with Gil and Tarvek, yet weren't. Did the Baron consider their families to be insufficiently important? Did he think that Tarvek would be enough to keep the entire family in line? Were these recognisable and prestigious nobles somehow hidden from him?
    The students were supposed to be hostages, but as members of their family, they would probably have been safer aboard Castle Wulfenbach. That's a bit backwards.

I think that each family was handled differently. I doubt that all of the children were meant to be hostages. For example, I doubt that Dr. Sun's daughter would have been a hostage. Both of Gil's cover stories said that the rest of his family was dead, so he wouldn't have seemed to be a hostage. Tarvek didn't seem to be treated as a hostage. OTOH, if a family really didn't want their child aboard Castle Wulfenbach and could offer some other guarantee that they would behave, Klaus probably wouldn't take the child. Perhaps things had to escalate before he took a child as a hostage.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2015-10-05 at 10:27 AM.

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    No, the second post on this page mentioned it, though without, it's true, a link.

Spoiler
    Show
    I was surprised that it's Martellus, rather than Seffie, that Colette wants to keep busy. Not that Colette wouldn't want to to keep Martellus busy, but Martellus isn't particularly vain nor social. He thinks that he needs to impress everyone else in order to get people to accept his claim to be the Storm King, though, so that makes this masked ball important to him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Martellus is very social and very vain. He doesn't listen to anyone else but himself, because he thinks everyone else is very inferior, but he really does care that there should be inferiors for him to lord it over.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Titan in the Playground

Well.. it does look and sound like there are some sort of thing between her and Gil.

Even though knowing how obsessive Gil is then its mostly onesided.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    No, the second post on this page mentioned it, though without, it's true, a link.
    Yeah. When I wrote that, I thought the last comment on the previous page was the last comment in the thread. I hadn't spotted the new page yet.

Spoiler
    Show
    Martellus is very social and very vain. He doesn't listen to anyone else but himself, because he thinks everyone else is very inferior, but he really does care that there should be inferiors for him to lord it over.
    I disagree. Martellus is incredibly power hungry and does whatever is necessary to gain power. That requires him making other people inferior. Martellus, however, freely admits that Seffie is much more clever than he is and does listen to her. He listened to the cook. He has some vanity, but he doesn't let it prevent him from learning from others, even from someone who says that he is stupid while explaining things to him. He makes lots of mistakes, but isn't too vain to recognize that they were mistakes fairly quickly (most of the time) and bounce back from them. He acts as if he would rather be surrounded by his sparkhounds than people. I'm certain he is approaching the masked ball as a project and opportunity in which it will be necessary for him to impress others, rather than as an event that would be fun for its own sake.

Of course, claiming to be the Storm King requires some vanity, but Martellus isn't nearly as vain as he could be. Martellus can be social, but that just seems to be an act. He just does it in order to manipulate people.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2015-10-05 at 11:04 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Martellus can be social, but that just seems to be an act. He just does it in order to manipulate people.
    That's social.

Asocial is not caring about other people or their opinions.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

9. - Top - End - #1209

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    (Seffie) it does look and sound like there are some sort of thing between her and Gil.
    When Martellus was still missing, the plan was to make Gil the new Stormking.
    That probably involved arranging a marriage
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Troll in the Playground

Interesting character fact reveal today: Evidently, Lucrezia could be dangerously jealous. Enough so that Grandmother worries Seffie could be in danger if Agatha takes after her mother, and believes she and Gil are too intimate.

I doubt Grandmother's maiden name was Mongfish. But she seems to know a lot about people, past and present.

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Titan in the Playground

When Martellus was still missing, the plan was to make Gil the new Stormking.
    That probably involved arranging a marriage
    With the people we are dealing with here it could just as easily have been a consolidation of power as anything involving the least shread of affection.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Interesting character fact reveal today: Evidently, Lucrezia could be dangerously jealous. Enough so that Grandmother worries Seffie could be in danger if Agatha takes after her mother, and believes she and Gil are too intimate.

I doubt Grandmother's maiden name was Mongfish. But she seems to know a lot about people, past and present.
    You know, while Grandmother probably doesn't know it, Agatha might actually have a jealous streak. Good catch there.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

That's social.

Asocial is not caring about other people or their opinions.
    No. I know what social and asocial mean. Martellus isn't particularly social, as I said.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/social:

pertaining to, devoted to, or characterized by friendly companionship or relations:
    seeking or enjoying the companionship of others; friendly; sociable; gregarious.
    of, pertaining to, connected with, or suited to polite or fashionable society:
    a social event.
    Those don't describe Martellus particularly well. (I'm not saying that he's asocial, though.)

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    I've been a little surprised that she doesn't know Agatha better than she does. Of course, she's never met her and wouldn't have particularly good information about her. I'm also not sure that Grandma knows how obsessed Gil is with Agatha, either. She seemed to think that Seffie would have a better chance with Gil than she has. Again, Grandma wouldn't have had a chance to observe Gil directly, though, at least not recently.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2015-10-05 at 06:29 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

No. I know what social and asocial mean. Martellus isn't particularly social, as I said.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/social:

Those don't describe Martellus particularly well.
    Maybe not, but I don't think this does either:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asociality

Asociality refers to the lack of motivation to engage in social interaction, or a preference for solitary activities. Developmental psychologists use the synonyms nonsocial, unsocial, and social disinterest. Asociality is distinct from but not mutually exclusive to anti-social behavior, in which the latter implies an active misanthropy or antagonism toward other people or the general social order. A degree of asociality is routinely observed in introverts, while extreme asociality is observed in people with a variety of clinical conditions.

Asociality is not necessarily perceived as a totally negative trait by society, since asociality has been used as a way to express dissent from prevailing ideas. It is seen as a desirable trait in certain monastic traditions, notably in Catholicism, Buddhism and Sufism.

Asociality in psychopathology
    Schizophrenia

In schizophrenia, asociality is one of the main 5 so-called negative symptoms, the others being avolition, anhedonia, reduced affect and alogia. Due to a lack of desire to form relationships, social withdrawal is common in people with schizophrenia.[3][4][5] People with schizophrenia may experience social deficits or dysfunction as a result of the disorder, leading to asocial behavior. Frequent or ongoing delusions and hallucinations can deteriorate relationships and other social ties, isolating individuals with schizophrenia from reality and in some cases leading to homelessness. Even when treated with medication for the disorder, they may be unable to engage in social behaviors such as maintaining conversations, accurately perceiving emotions in others, or functioning in crowded settings. There has been extensive research on the effective use of social skills training for the treatment of schizophrenia, in outpatient clinics as well as inpatient units. Social skills training (SST) can be used to help patients with schizophrenia make better eye contact with other people, increase assertiveness, and improve their general conversational skills.[6]

Personality disorders
    Avoidant personality disorder

Asociality in people with avoidant personality disorder (AvPD) is common. They experience discomfort and feel inhibited in social situations, overwhelmed by feelings of inadequacy. Such people remain consistently fearful of social rejection, choosing to avoid social engagements as they do not want to give people the opportunity to reject or accept them. People with AvPD actively avoid occasions that require social interaction, leading to extremely asocial tendencies. These individuals usually have few or no close friends. Their asocial behavior is not due to lack of social skills, but rather a lack of confidence, and fear of ridicule and embarrassment.[citation needed]

People with AvPD may also display social phobia, the difference being that social phobia is the fear of social circumstances whereas AvPD is better described as an aversion to intimacy in relationships.[7]

Mood disorders
    Depression

Asociality can be observed in individuals suffering from major depressive disorder or dysthymia, as individuals lose interest in everyday activities and hobbies they used to enjoy, which may include social activities, resulting in social withdrawal.[citation needed]

Social Skills Training can be adapted to the treatment of depression with a focus on assertiveness training. Depressed patients often benefit from learning to set limits to others, to obtain satisfaction for their own needs, and to feel more self-confident in social interactions. Research suggests that patients who are depressed because they tend to withdraw from others can benefit from social skills training by learning to increase positive social interactions with others instead of pulling back. [14]

Social anxiety disorder

Asocial behavior is observed in people with social anxiety disorder (SAD), who experience perpetual and irrational fears of humiliating themselves in social situations.
    <edit>

Hmph, I think you edited your post since I started writing mine.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2015-10-05 at 06:40 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Oh, one of those differently alive people. Or, as Count Dracula said, "I prefer the term 'nonbreathing.'"

16. - Top - End - #1216

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20151007

"Eau de humanity" is a terrible, terrible pun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20151007

"Eau de humanity" is a terrible, terrible pun.
    Yes, yes it is. (I missed the zepplin in the poster background on my first viewing.)

The same strip also has "Rossumovi Universal Mechanical Men", which is a reference to Czech writer Karl Kapek's play "Rossum’s Universal Robots" aka. "R.U.R.", which introduced the word 'robot' to the world.
    Last edited by runeghost; 2015-10-07 at 09:16 AM.

18. - Top - End - #1218

There is also "Agatha della Heterodynes", though that one has appeared before.
    Guess what spell I cast before posting this message.

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think I want to know what Heterodyne style snail cheese is.

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by BannedInSchool View Post
    I'm not sure I want to know what *any* kind of snail cheese is...

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Troll in the Playground

EDIT: I rather like Agatha's new outfit. I wonder where she's getting these clothes...

Quote Originally Posted by runeghost View Post
    Yes, yes it is. (I missed the zepplin in the poster background on my first viewing.)

The same strip also has "Rossumovi Universal Mechanical Men", which is a reference to Czech writer Karl Kapek's play "Rossum’s Universal Robots" aka. "R.U.R.", which introduced the word 'robot' to the world.
    Yes, I caught that. There are usually all sorts of jokes and oddities in a Foglio crowd scene; you've got to be pretty knowledgeable (AND keen-eyed) to catch them all.

RE all the Heterodyne inspired goods and items: I keep being amazed at just how much impact Agatha has had on popular culture in such a short period of time...

Having a market under a looming statue of Death is rather... French.
    Last edited by eee; 2015-10-07 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Add a phrase

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'm a bit confused about Zola's comment about sour cream. I thought goulash was a stew?

23. - Top - End - #1223

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I'm not sure I want to know what *any* kind of snail cheese is...
    Like casu marzu, but with snails?

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperordaniel View Post
    Like casu marzu, but with snails?
    Maybe they're lactating snails?

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I'm a bit confused about Zola's comment about sour cream. I thought goulash was a stew?
    1. Zeetha, not Zola.
    2. Goulash is indeed a stew (with meat being the predominant ingredient). Just as with many soups, sour cream can be a very good addition to stews in general and goulash in particular.
    2.a) As a side-note: both goulash and sour cream go excelent with potatoes.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe it's like head cheese, but with snails.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_cheese

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Today's Dinosaur Comics strip probably won't help: http://www.qwantz.com/index.php?comic=2888

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Perfume ad poster: "Eau de Humanity" featuring a zeppelin in the background.

Hindenberg crash: "Oh, the Humanity!" was coined by a reporter on the scene and it became instantly famous.

Pretty funny!!
    "...Look, it's a simple job. Just go down to the docks, book passage on the good ship Harm's Way, set sail for the Isles of Immaculate Doom, pick up the Orb of Despair which is already waiting for you, and bring it back to deliver to that crazy old coot who lives in that creepy old tower in the Swamp of a Thousand Screams. What could possibly go wrong?"

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    "Certified." Yeah, and certifiable too, I bet.

30. - Top - End - #1230

My word, that alone is a good enough reason to keep the Castle scrap with them. Sometimes the Foglios are geniuses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.