New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Girl Genius XVIII: Invisible Hand of the Legendary Smoke Knights

Ok, I think folks that we have just seen an excellent piece of writing.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Right up until Europa is entirely undermined and caves in on itself due to the thousands of tunnels criss-crossing its underground.
    While the mole person in question is wise, he's not particularly smart.

3. - Top - End - #123

Quote Originally Posted by Emperordaniel View Post
    I still think that's what Dreen look like under the hat. Might not be, but that's what I (maybe erroneously) thought.
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

Damn, I'm pretty lost regarding the big overarching time-shenanigans plot in this comic. I don't even recall if it has anything to do with the whole The Other plot or not. I'll probably have to re-read the whole thing, if I ever find the time for the gazillion pages involved in that endeavor...

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

Considering we first saw that Dreen in the Beast-wrecked basement of the monastery, I believe it used to be one of their prisoners. How they ever managed to pull that off remains a mystery.

Also, is anyone else mentally screaming their head off in terror right now?
    More in awe at the Foglios' story telling skills. That's impressive.

It would be terror if the Dreen were working for the Other, or out to destroy the world, or were hostile. We don't know enough to regard this as fearful.

Yet.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danelsan View Post
    Damn, I'm pretty lost regarding the big overarching time-shenanigans plot in this comic. I don't even recall if it has anything to do with the whole The Other plot or not. I'll probably have to re-read the whole thing, if I ever find the time for the gazillion pages involved in that endeavor...
    Mostly, all we've got solid info on is what we assume is Clankrezia (with a funny hat) and Agatha, Gil, a Geister, and von Zinzer have appeared in time windows. The ones with Agatha et. al. definitely are, because we haven't seen the scene from the other side yet. The one with Clankrezia(?) might be - it looks similar, but we don't know much at all.

I think the most important question, though, is why this Dreen cares enough to tell Gil that Agatha is going to be in Paris.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by The Mormegil View Post
    I still think that's what Dreen look like under the hat. Might not be, but that's what I (maybe erroneously) thought.
    I think the image pretty clearly shows a metallic texture to skin, which Dreen don't have--compare the hands in that picture with the Dreen's hands today, which are not inside its hat and can be assumed to be its actual hands. Plus, the person in the time window is using a more normal font, not the shaky-text characteristic of the Dreen.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

Looking back, the last Dreen we met was also focused on Agatha. I wonder why.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

What does 'tangential to time' mean? Are they aware of their entire timeline, including the future? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the concept.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2015-05-15 at 02:41 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    What does 'tangential to time' mean? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the concept.
    Imagine there is one more dimension, inaccessible to you but accessible to the Dreen, that operates like time but (like all other dimension) it is tangentially orthodox to time. That means that a creature capable of perceiving both of those dimensions can choose to move in one, the other, or both. From your "single time dimension" perspective, that means the Dreen can move in frozen time (because it is traversing the other time dimension), or even disappear completely.

Alternatively, imagine that you are a train. Time dimension is your tracks: you move along it, and you can't leave them. The Dreen are like a car: they can follow the tracks, or they can leave the tracks to explore the lands around them.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PePe QuiCoSE View Post
    You know you are going to get called on that, right?

You mean this comic? I took it to be clankcrezia (and never read something suggesting otherwise, but haven't read much.
    It has Lucrezia's lips, so most people have assumed it's her (especially since it's implied the time windows are her tech.) We don't have any real confirmation, though.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    What does 'tangential to time' mean? Are they aware of their entire timeline, including the future? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the concept.
    It's like the Watchmen character Dr. Manhatten. He knew his past and future as if it were a book he'd read before. He could talk about what was coming on the next page, or remember events on previous pages; but he couldn't change anything or skip parts of the book, he had to read each word in sequence.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

According to the Wiki (and WoG), the first verified time we saw the Dreen was when they were fighting the Slaver Wasps on Castle Wulfenback waaaaaaaaaaay back in the print comic days.

Also, according to the first novelization, the Dreen are one of the only things that the Slaver Wasps were truly afraid of in that fight. Makes sense, knowing what we know of them.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2015-05-15 at 09:28 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    It's like the Watchmen character Dr. Manhatten. He knew his past and future as if it were a book he'd read before. He could talk about what was coming on the next page, or remember events on previous pages; but he couldn't change anything or skip parts of the book, he had to read each word in sequence.
    Not necessarily. A time-traveller doesn't have to know what he's going to do when he travels back into the past. Manhattan's omniscience is a special case.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Orc in the Playground

Wait... conical hats, omniscience, the Winslow... the Dreen are Prime Movers!

http://www.airshipentertainment.com/...?date=20080925
    This post hand crafted by a synapse cluster which also processes nuts, shellfish, alcohol, sarcasm, gluten, puns, MSG, caffeine, ennui, grains, tree pollen, abstract logic, GMO, petroleum byproducts, webcomics, 70's-80's sitcom theme music, pet dander, dubstep and EDM, aspartame, every Monty Python episode and movie, MCU, DCU, asbestos, sugar, LotR, ST, SW, PotC, lead, discworld, electric swing, latex, and Disney IPs as well as other controlled substances. Consume at your own risk.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zazu Yen View Post

17. - Top - End - #137

They sure look a lot different this time around. less robotic, more alien

18. - Top - End - #138
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    According to the Wiki (and WoG), the first verified time we saw the Dreen was when they were fighting the Slaver Wasps on Castle Wulfenback waaaaaaaaaaay back in the print comic days.

Also, according to the first novelization, the Dreen are one of the only things that the Slaver Wasps were truly afraid of in that fight. Makes sense, knowing what we know of them.
    "They killed with but a touch, and they alone seemed to scare the Slaver wasps. Everywhere they drifted, a circle of emptiness opened around them as wasps desperately tried to escape."
    You can always rely on the kindness of strangeness.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

Makes me think that the Dreen were active during the Other War. I'm thinking there's a connection between the Dreen and the wasps.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Makes me think that the Dreen were active during the Other War. I'm thinking there's a connection between the Dreen and the wasps.
    Depending on what time/dimensional shenanigans happen with Agatha and Lucrezia it's entirely possible the slaver wasps fought the Dreen sometime in the future before being brought back in time and now have a sort of retroactive racial fear.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Zazu Yen View Post

That lettering

As far as the time windows go, we have someone who looks like The Other dressed as a Dreen in one and Gil dressed as a geisterdamen in another. Some intriguing hints.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler: New Comic
    Show
    And of course the monks' neutrality laws meant Martellus had to be on the train with them.

Though I am looking forward to seeing the antics of Squashy and the Beast.

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: New Comic
    Show
    And of course the monks' neutrality laws meant Martellus had to be on the train with them.

Though I am looking forward to seeing the antics of Squashy and the Beast.
    Agreed on point two.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm just a bit annoyed that they continue to have Agatha interacting with him without even, you know, mentioning the way he poisoned her. I would expect that to be a higher priority for her.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2015-05-17 at 11:39 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm just a bit annoyed that they continue to have Agatha interacting with him without even, you know, mentioning the way he poisoned her. I would expect that to be a higher priority for her.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Agreed.

One justification I can think of is that they know Martellus won't remove it himself (it's the only insurance he has, and too powerful a control mechanism to give up for virtually any reason) and equally they can't kill him until they can get rid of it themselves. Ergo, there's not much point talking about it.

I suppose they could try to get him to start monologuing about it. He's probably too savvy to fall for that though.

26. - Top - End - #146

BlackDragon

Spoiler
    Show

Well, this just goes to show about the Beast: anyone who hates Martellus can't be all bad.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Agreed.

One justification I can think of is that they know Martellus won't remove it himself (it's the only insurance he has, and too powerful a control mechanism to give up for virtually any reason) and equally they can't kill him until they can get rid of it themselves. Ergo, there's not much point talking about it.

I suppose they could try to get him to start monologuing about it. He's probably too savvy to fall for that though.
    Spoiler
    Show
    They totally can kill him. They have the weasel, which is sufficient to figure out what he did once they have a better lab. Alternatively, they could cripple him; breaking his vertebrae just below his neck or removing his limbs will eliminate him as a threat completely (based on previous behavior, the house would immediately discard him) -- killing and reviving him would work even better, since it would remove him from the line of succession. Reviving just his head would be best, but I'm not sure they can manage that.

None of these things are necessarily irreversible in the Girl Genius universe, even (aside from reviving him, which would take him out of succession permanently.) It would just remove his ability to meaningfully assert his long-term goals by stripping him of his position in his house and taking him out of the running as a contender for the position of Storm King. He's not like Tarvek; there's been no hint that he has any long-term goals beyond enslaving Agatha in the service of world conquest. I mean, I don't like most of those options, but again, they're not as severe as they are in the real world -- he's a smart boy, he can reverse most damage if they give him a chance.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2015-05-18 at 04:19 AM.

28. - Top - End - #148

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    They totally can kill him. They have the weasel, which is sufficient to figure out what he did once they have a better lab. Alternatively, they could cripple him; breaking his vertebrae just below his neck or removing his limbs will eliminate him as a threat completely (based on previous behavior, the house would immediately discard him) -- killing and reviving him would work even better, since it would remove him from the line of succession. Reviving just his head would be best, but I'm not sure they can manage that.

None of these things are necessarily irreversible in the Girl Genius universe, even (aside from reviving him, which would take him out of succession permanently.) It would just remove his ability to meaningfully assert his long-term goals by stripping him of his position in his house and taking him out of the running as a contender for the position of Storm King. He's not like Tarvek; there's been no hint that he has any long-term goals beyond enslaving Agatha in the service of world conquest. I mean, I don't like most of those options, but again, they're not as severe as they are in the real world -- he's a smart boy, he can reverse most damage if they give him a chance.
    Too be fair, they already "discarded" martellus once. He came back and slaughtered his way back to power in under a week. I dont think using the revival option would do much to slow him down. He doesnt care much about rules, just about attaining his goals.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

29. - Top - End - #149
    Bugbear in the Playground

It seems that Agatha just realized that Martellus acts much like Dingbot!Beast.
    Guess what spell I cast before posting this message.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Halfling in the Playground

In latest updates the Foglio's are really inspired.
    One better than the other.
    The Ding-Beast ... well, just like Agatha, I'm becoming quite fond of it.
    And the exchange of words between Dimo and Wooster is simply ROTFL! I mean, the quiet smile of Wooster, while he admits that a kill gives a better taste to tea ...