New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Not all spellcasting is created equal, but what is?

This is predicated on a simple notion. You have the class features of one class, but you want the spellcasting (or manifesting, or what ever fills that niche) of another class. Not all cases are balanced in this case, of course, but what is? Within the context of pathfinder, which spellcasting and related systems are close enough in power that replacing one with another within a class wouldn't result in a significant change in power?
    Extended Signature

Guide to becoming a demon in Pathfinder

Special thanks to Gurgleflep for creating my Avatar

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Not all spellcasting is created equal, but what is?

I would say that all the 6th-level casting (minus original Summoner) is relatively well balanced against each other. You could have a Hunter with the Bard list, or an Inquisitor that uses Alchemist formulae, and their tier/effectiveness wouldn't really change.

As far as non-casting stuff - Rogue Genius Games came up with "archetype packages" that let you swap out limited features of one class for those of another. I think that's a good place to start - check the sidebar here.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, so we can say that in regards of casting that the Alchemist, Bard, Inquisitor, and Magus are roughly equal. Would you say this holds true for the Cryptic, Dread, and Psychic Warrior manifesting or would they be a group of their own?

4th level casting/manifesting/ect., I think the majority can be swapped around. I know that pushing forward the Soulknife's Gifted Blade's manifesting by one level is established to be interchangeable with the Paladin's and the Ranger's casting via archetype, establishing the 3 (4 if we include antipaladin) to be roughly the same level. The marksman is also a 4 level manifesting class, though it progresses across 20 levels instead of 16 so I think that one can be said to not be interchangeable with the rest.

Of course, this does leave in question which 9 level castings, manifesting, and other related things are roughy equal. I know they aren't all interchangeable, but are any of them?

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    Ok, so we can say that in regards of casting that the Alchemist, Bard, Inquisitor, and Magus are roughly equal. Would you say this holds true for the Cryptic, Dread, and Psychic Warrior manifesting or would they be a group of their own?
    It does not translate as well for psionics because of how augmentation works. An Astral Construct, Energy Ray or Dominate used by a Psychic Warrior is every bit as strong as one used by a Psion, the only real difference is how much ammunition they have to throw around. Similarly, the 4th-level manifesting of the Marksman and Gifted Blade have the potential to be much more powerful than the 4th-level casting of the Ranger and Paladin.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    Of course, this does leave in question which 9 level castings, manifesting, and other related things are roughy equal. I know they aren't all interchangeable, but are any of them?
    In general I'd say it goes: Wizard > Cleric > Witch > Shaman > Druid.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    In general I'd say it goes: Wizard > Cleric > Witch > Shaman > Druid.
    I'd agree but some spell lists are made to accomodate to the basic chassis of the class. Cleric casting on a 1/2 BAB d6 class is far worse than say Witch spells.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    I'd agree but some spell lists are made to accomodate to the basic chassis of the class. Cleric casting on a 1/2 BAB d6 class is far worse than say Witch spells.
    Tell that to Cloistered Cleric

I'd say it doesn't matter that much though - after all, at level 1, a 1/2 BAB Cleric with Divine Favor and a 3/4 BAB Cleric with Divine Favor have the exact same to-hit. By the time the chassis difference starts to become pronounced, you'll likely have enough spells to be a full-on pure caster or summoner or buffer/debuffer or whatever else.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Tell that to Cloistered Cleric

I'd say it doesn't matter that much though - after all, at level 1, a 1/2 BAB Cleric with Divine Favor and a 3/4 BAB Cleric with Divine Favor have the exact same to-hit. By the time the chassis difference starts to become pronounced, you'll likely have enough spells to be a full-on pure caster or summoner or buffer/debuffer or whatever else.
    That's focussing on a main job. And that's how Pathfinder/D&D is played. But swapping spell lists and class chassis makes for some very powerful options and other not so useful options. I'd say having the various Witch touch spells on a druid would give them another form of gameplay: Debuffing druids. If that is good is another case entirely.