New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2338394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1471
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony LXXXVIII: They told me not to Ponythread, but I didn't listen!

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    S5 E11: Party Pooped
    And… was that Cheerilee sitting at a table with a colt in Appleoosa? Could someone who's already got a high resolution encode please check if it's really her, and who the colt is?
    It's definitely Cheerilee. This screenshot shows them the best. After much searching, I have found that the stallion is probably a certain background pony named Star Bright, who you can see on this screenshot from S2 E20 (topmost rightmost pony), and who shares much of his design with Royal Pin (the pony who pricks balloons with her horn) and Ponet. Let the shipping begin!

Update: Star Bright is also on Mulia's wedding, see back row, left hand side on this screenshot and right hand side of this screenshot. Update: actually, the pony at the wedding might be Ponet (who has two-colored yellow hair, whereas Star Bright has two-colored purple hair).
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2015-09-03 at 10:29 AM.

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony LXXXVIII: They told me not to Ponythread, but I didn't listen!

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Do I go with my admittedly only moderate cover art or do I instead grab a more generic screencap (with for example, Twilight and Cadance Looking Serious, one such example I found on the MLP wiki while searching for visual references) and use that instead? One is story-specific, the other is in colour and to a somewhat better art standard obviously.
    From a marketing perspective, it's best to grab what will stand out more (and usually that's color). Since the image you put there on your story is one of the first things a reader will see (along side your title and maybe your summary) I'd say go with a screen cap that would encapsulate the main characters to draw the reader's attention (like socks on a pony).
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, and for good measure, since it does have some bearing on the question, a finalised title and summary.

The Heart of the Matter
    Twilight had been excited to appointed to head an important diplomatic mission to the distant land of the alphyns, even more so that Cadance, Shining Armour and Spike were coming with her to provide support.

But the truculent Grand Prince Caldrast is less interested in negotiating than he is in advancing his tenebrous personal agenda. As she deals with the machinations of the Grand Prince, Twilight discovers some members of her family hide secrets of their own...
    I think that should be "to be appointed".

I had to google both truculent and tenebrous.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Okay, having had a bit of a conflab with Skywriter, serious question.

Do I go with my admittedly only moderate cover art or do I instead grab a more generic screencap (with for example, Twilight and Cadance Looking Serious, one such example I found on the MLP wiki while searching for visual references) and use that instead? One is story-specific, the other is in colour and to a somewhat better art standard obviously.

What does Ponythread reckon?
    I'm torn. But really, the only thing "wrong" with the picture as a whole is Twilight's face. If you can get a better expression, then add a bit of colour, then it will be fine.

In fact, just the colour. The more I look at the picture, the more I like it.

Oh, and for good measure, since it does have some bearing on the question, a finalised title and summary.

The Heart of the Matter
    Twilight had been excited to appointed to head an important diplomatic mission to the distant land of the alphyns, even more so that Cadance, Shining Armour and Spike were coming with her to provide support.

But the truculent Grand Prince Caldrast is less interested in negotiating than he is in advancing his tenebrous personal agenda. As she deals with the machinations of the Grand Prince, Twilight discovers some members of her family hide secrets of their own...
    I'm thinking "was" rather than "had been".
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

5. - Top - End - #1415

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    You know, thanks to certain Ponies on this message board (whose names shall be withheld) I've found that if I have to Google a word from someone's fic summary, I end up reading their fic. Though the upper limit on that is two words, because as soon as I hit the third, I forget I had Fimfiction tabbed somewhere.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

6. - Top - End - #1416
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    I'm torn. But really, the only thing "wrong" with the picture as a whole is Twilight's face. If you can get a better expression, then add a bit of colour, then it will be fine.

In fact, just the colour. The more I look at the picture, the more I like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    From a marketing perspective, it's best to grab what will stand out more (and usually that's color). Since the image you put there on your story is one of the first things a reader will see (along side your title and maybe your summary) I'd say go with a screen cap that would encapsulate the main characters to draw the reader's attention (like socks on a pony).
    Hmm. It would be a fair bit more effort, but I suppose I could try what I did with that last colour image of Derpy and go over it with pen and rescan it (which would allow me to increase the contrast) and then I might be able to add colour in. I mean, it wasn't like I hadn't half planned to do that, but I wasn't entirely sure it was worth that extra effort, given my level of skills... But go on, I'll perhaps have a shot at that tomorrow.

I suppose at that level I might be able to clean Twilight up digitally, if I could exactly figure out what it is I've not quite got right.

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    I think that should be "to be appointed".
    Noted....

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc
    Sometimes these things come from a thesaurus (tenebrous) and sometimes I surprise even myself when odd words (like truculent) come to me; that one was was not even when I was writing properly, I was just writing a PM and it just occurred to me as I wrote it - and I thought, yes, must use that in the proper version!

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth
    I'm thinking "was" rather than "had been".
    "Had been" is actually strictly more correct, given the story starts in media res, since that excitement was in the past of the story's starting point.

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

"Had been" is actually strictly more correct, given the story starts in media res, since that excitement was in the past of the story's starting point.
    Fair 'nuff. It just read a little oddly.

Mind you, I've been reading Oracle installation documents all day. That doesn't help.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Colossus in the Playground

Okay, having had a bit of a conflab with Skywriter, serious question.

If you want it fast use a screenshot. If you care a lot get a commission. If you care a little throw a request into my drawthread.

9. - Top - End - #1419

This thread needs more WTF, so without comment have Meaty Belle, Twilight Nick Cage, and Vinyl the Doof Warrior:
    Spoiler
    Show

And a Rarijack for myself:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Digo Dragon - Artist

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Titan in the Playground

Bleakbane Watches:

Daring Don't:

In which Rainbow is a Silly Pony, and the Mane Six stand gawping like idiots while somepony is in mortal danger...

This is must occur fairly soon after Twilight's ascention, since four to six months is a good chunk of our proposed year. Indeed, the last bit probably comes well into the season five era (since it takes place entirely within Dash's houise, it coud be any time).

Day Count: Approximately two (not counting travel time either way or the last segment.)

Flight to the Finish:

I like this one. Hearts as Strong as Horses was definitely my carry-away song from this season.

Plus it's also nice to see Dash at least attempting professionalism (and deaing with Scoots) and Miss Harshwhinney failing too..!)

Day Count: Three (time from the announcement to the Crystal Empire.)

Power Ponies:

I really like this one. It is extremely funny; Rarity, in particular is an absolute scream here and Spike's little exchange in the tornado ("Summon something" *rarity summons a teaset* "summon something useful!") is about the best line of the lot. But Spike also legitimately is a bit of a badass here, come to that. He may be many things, but he is NOT Humdrum.

(Though that thing I said before about him being, like actually cursed...?)

(Season Four was actually really good to Spike.)

Day count: One.

Current day count: 142 plus 53-68 estimate for Season 1 (12 autumn, 2 winter plus 4 autumn, 1 winter estimate from Season 1, 9 from season four +)

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

My vote is for:

My Little Pony LXXXIX: Ponythread Perfect! Yaks no smash!

On another note, when I was first watching the show a long time ago, it appeared that the majority of government systems would be matriarchal or otherwise have female heads of states. After watching Party Pooped, and seeing discussion of the princess above, I was curious exactly what the gender ratio of leaders is based on the episodes we have see. Looking back over the last couple of seasons, including episodes that have a "historical intent" we have:

Equestria: Diarchy with the Sisters (twice) (F), Monarchy with Celestia (F) , and Dictatorship with Discord (M)
    Crystal Empire: Monarchy (x2) - Cadance (F), Sombra (M)
    Griffonstone: King - don't remember name (M)
    Saddle Arabia:King and Queen (?) assumed based on two quick scenes.... (assume M&F)
    Maretopia: King and Queen assumed on one scene (assume M&F)
    Yakyakistan: Prince Rutherford (M)
    The three independent pony kingdoms from Heaths Warming Eve (assuming gender roles were correct):
    Pegasus (F) Commander Hurricane
    Unicorn (M & F) - King of Unicorns, but Princess Platinum was the major player
    Earth (F) Chancellor Puddinghead

My math gets 9 female leaders to 7 male leaders based on a small sample size and some assumptions for some of the states that have little background or detail. Not to shabby on leadership equality, even if it leans a little matriarchal, which considering the target audience, isn't a bad thing. So am I missing anything or is there some canon that could clarify or add to the list?

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Ogre in the Playground

My internet was down for around four days (Charter is stupid, like actually stupid), so I just now watched the new episode.

If this were less yaks being a-holes, this might have been in the running of funniest episode ever. I wanted them dead, like actually killed dead. Did I mention yet (or ten times) that Pinkie has been very well-written since Rainbow Rocks? Her party cave was brilliant, and within her character. Sliding up the ramp and the comment from Fluttershy sealed it. But, the yaks kind of downgraded everything. Pinkie monologuing her adventure was awesome, as was the sudden appearance by Cadence. The "she sledded all the way back to Ponyville" was a weird cop-out though. There had to have been some other way to have her journey fail. I don't know the technical term for it, but the gags where they reveal the rest of the "camera" were well done. Could have been better, but was still good. Beats the humor in season 5 so far, and had a decent teary moment (but NOTHING beats Castle Sweet Castle on that). Oh, and the yaks made me remember. They need to get John DiMaggio to do a voice on the show.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2015-07-01 at 02:23 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: cover image, more better...
    Show

...but still not quite more better enough, as Grimlock said. It needs digitally tidying, but now I've inked over and re-scanned, I can also add colour.

Also, Twilight now looks less like a duck.

It took me two tries. The first one came out alright, but it was an angry Twilight face, but it looked far too much like she was glaring at Cadance, instead of sharing an annoyed glance. I got very brave with this last one, as I attempted to flatten her ears (which I've have ddone with Caddy if I'd had though about it) and after a bit of juggling, moved the eyes to be looking in the right direction (the reference pose was looking back over her shoulder) without getting her to do her best Derpy impression.

Before I go and do much more (though I can start some of the tidying on Caddy and the alphyn), does Twilight's head look reasonably the right sort of size compared to Cadance's head? (Doesn't have to be exact, but obviously it needs to look like Twilight is not standing miles away or had shrunk or something. I think seems about right, but a second (or third, or forth!) opinion would not hurt.)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2015-07-01 at 06:37 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1424

I like the art style here--
    Spoiler: Sunset Shimmer
    Show

--so of course I had to check for a Trixie!
    Spoiler: Best Illusionist!
    Show

Artist link for the curious.

You know what? MOAR Trixie!
    Spoiler: Mwahaha!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    If this were less yaks being a-holes
    The yaks were the weakest part, but I admit that once it reached 'running gag' status to smash everything I was laughing at them for how dumb they were.

cover image, more better...
    Yes, this is better. Improved Twilight snout is improved. Heads seem about the right size (Twi looks a little bit farther back from the camera and thus glaring at the critter and not Cadance. I assume that's the intent).
    Digo Dragon - Artist

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Final Version
    Show

Huh.

I think I must have done something terribly wrong... That actually looks almost passable!
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2015-07-01 at 09:29 AM.

16. - Top - End - #1426

Thread title voting up to this post:
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Little Pony LXXXIX: Ponythread Perfect! Yaks no smash! 6
    My Little Pony LXXXIX: I have Finally Become Pancake 2
    My Little Pony LXXXIX: So... Do We Post Ponies, Or What? 1
    My Little Pony LXXXIX: They threw pandas at us! 1
    My Little Pony LXXXIX: Is just... so cheesy 1

Huh. I think I must have done something terribly wrong... That actually looks almost passable!
    You did. It's called skill improvement and it keeps happening the more you use your skills.
    (Good job by the way. It looks MUCH nicer now than the original sketch)

Speaking of doing something terribly wrong... I'm soon going to create Pony racial templates for d20 Modern*. I am aware that there are several versions out there for D&D 3.5 (and Pathfinder, yes), but I was curious to know from those of you that have experience with these systems-- Anything specific you like/dislike of the ones you've tried? Figure collecting feedback would be helpful.

*Reason being that I'm assembling my own Fallout supplement for d20 Modern and figured why not do a Pony version on the side for kicks.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

17. - Top - End - #1427
    Bugbear in the Playground

Your own stuff!

The Heart of the Matter

Big words doubleplus ungood. Yaks no like; yaks smash!
    Last edited by Juntao112; 2015-07-01 at 11:25 AM.

18. - Top - End - #1428
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Show

Huh.

I think I must have done something terribly wrong... That actually looks almost passable!
    Oh yes indeed. I've gone from "torn" to a clear "use it! use it! use it!".

Bleakbane Watches:

Flight to the Finish:

I like this one. Hearts as Strong as Horses was definitely my carry-away song from this season.

Plus it's also nice to see Dash at least attempting professionalism (and deaing with Scoots) and Miss Harshwhinney failing too..!)

Day Count: Three (time from the announcement to the Crystal Empire.)
    Not one of my favourites I'm afraid (I'm not a fan of this type of story), but a very good and strong ending, where Rainbow really is getting in to her Element.

Bleakbane Watches:
    Power Ponies:

I really like this one. It is extremely funny; Rarity, in particular is an absolute scream here and Spike's little exchange in the tornado ("Summon something" *rarity summons a teaset* "summon something useful!") is about the best line of the lot. But Spike also legitimately is a bit of a badass here, come to that. He may be many things, but he is NOT Humdrum.
    It is possible one of the best in the season, if not the series as a whole.I like it, not just for the reasons you cite (I agree with al of them), but because it is a glorious send-up of the superhero genre in a world where most of the inhabitants would qualify as superheroes in their own right. My wife also thought it was hilarious, and my daughter (who normally disdains anything daddy likes, so has no background in superhero stuff) couldn't understand why we found it so hilarious.

19. - Top - End - #1429

Dang it! These are way to awesome to be legal!
    Spoiler
    Show

Digo Dragon - Artist

20. - Top - End - #1430
    Ogre in the Playground

Maneiac has best evil laugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    It's like Amazon.com around here; free 2-day shipping on all orders no matter how trivial.
    Quote Originally Posted by u/s_SoNick
    Dr Mog: Hey, spiffy new threads you got there Tyro.

Tyro: Pie jesu domine smacks book against forehead Dona eis requiem

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Ogre in the Playground

Bleakbane Watches:

Daring Don't:

In which Rainbow is a Silly Pony, and the Mane Six stand gawping like idiots while somepony is in mortal danger...

Flight to the Finish:

Power Ponies:

“In which Rainbow is a Silly Pony,” confused me, I thought you were watching S2 E8 for a moment.

I like Flight to the Finish too, for the song, the Crusaders, Rainbow Dash's interaction, a Tornado Bolt appearance, and Diamond Tiara.

As for Power Ponies, I particularly enjoy Pinkie Pie cleaning again. Then there's Rainbow Dash being totally inconsiderate with Spike. Either she has to be oblivious after totally winning the previous episode, or else she can be insightful only when she interacts with the few people she really understands (namely Fluttershy, Scootaloo, and Tank). Maybe this is why I liked that drawing Digo posted, showing Rainbow Dash reading to an ill Twilight, because it shows Rainbow Dash caring about somepony else.

Show

Huh.

Indeed, Princess Cadence looks just right in that drawing.

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Ogre in the Playground

I vote for the pancake one, though it's probably pointless at this...point.

It seems Filli Vanilli is pretty universally hated, but one thing people may forget about it is it shows Rarity at her best. She understands Fluttershy's stage fright and does not press her on singing with the Ponytones. And she acts the same throughout. Or maybe it's just because she's Fluttershy, and Rarity knows her better than the rest.

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

... did someone said pancakes?

https://youtu.be/EJFRc-1487M

24. - Top - End - #1434
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

I vote for the pancake one, though it's probably pointless at this...point.

It seems Filli Vanilli is pretty universally hated, but one thing people may forget about it is it shows Rarity at her best. She understands Fluttershy's stage fright and does not press her on singing with the Ponytones. And she acts the same throughout. Or maybe it's just because she's Fluttershy, and Rarity knows her better than the rest.
    Wait what? I loved Filly Vannilli LOL

I didnt know it was a hated episode !!! Why somepony would complain about it?

25. - Top - End - #1435

I lot of people dislike the way pinkie acted in the episode.

Particularly since she got no "commupons" for it and the only explanation given for her behavior was a tweet that said that she forgot to filter herself that week.

However, really, the only thing she did wrong was screw up talking to fluttershy at the end: I'm firmly convinced that she was trying to do what Rarity later did successfully-the only other valid complaint was that she indirectly caused the plot of the episode by beating Mac at the turkey call, but she's hardly responsible if Mac stresses himself when he was told not too.

Really, all Pinkie did was give me more data for my hypothesis that she's on the autism spectrum, since, given the episode's timespan, Pinkie forgetting to filter herself that number of times, even in the minimum estimated timespan, is believable for someone on the spectrum.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #1436
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post

Particularly since she got no "commupons" for it and the only explanation given for her behavior was a tweet that said that she forgot to filter herself that week.

However, really, the only thing she did wrong was screw up talking to fluttershy at the end: I'm firmly convinced that she was trying to do what Rarity later did successfully-the only other valid complaint was that she indirectly caused the plot of the episode by beating Mac at the turkey call, but she's hardly responsible if Mac stresses himself when he was told not too.

Really, all Pinkie did was give me more data for my hypothesis that she's on the autism spectrum, since, given the episode's timespan, Pinkie forgetting to filter herself that number of times, even in the minimum estimated timespan, is believable for someone on the spectrum.
    "brohoof" Thats my theory as well !!! Glad Im not the only one thinking that!
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2015-07-01 at 04:50 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1437

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    "brohoof" That's my theory as well !!! Glad Im not the only one thinking that!
    *accepts hoof* Yes! I'm not projecting!

Other evidence is the fact that she's demonstrated enough symptoms of Asperger's Syndrome for a positive diagnosis and Maud's behavior, from what little we've seen, is pretty consistent with a more severe(but still high functioning) case, which is actually something that happens when real life siblings are both on the spectrum(my little brother and I are a great example of this.)

Though to be honest, unless the Writers give a tweet that it's all intentional, it's just a theory.

I personally would like to see Pinkie's parents-disorder s on the autism spectrum are caused by several different mutant genes. As it's a mutation, it's only possible for siblings to have it if one or both parents carry the one or more of the genes. If one or either of the elder pies demonstrates even a few symptoms from the spectrum, that would be huge evidence for the theory.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #1438

It seems Filli Vanilli is pretty universally hated
    Huh. I thought it was pretty decent. The song gets old quick though and it's the only song they play so that was my biggest complaint.

... did someone said pancakes?
    https://youtu.be/EJFRc-1487M
    Some flapjacks and bacon would really sound good about now. :q

Why somepony would complain about it?
    Not enough Trixie?

Her obliviousness was unfortunately done that way for the sake of the joke.
    Much like how Spike episodes tend to go with him. >.>
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2015-07-01 at 05:06 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Ogre in the Playground

*accepts hoof* Yes! I'm not projecting!

Other evidence is the fact that she's demonstrated enough symptoms of Asperger's Syndrome for a positive diagnosis and Maud's behavior, from what little we've seen, is pretty consistent with a more severe(but still high functioning) case, which is actually something that happens when real life siblings are both on the spectrum(my little brother and I are a great example of this.)

Though to be honest, unless the Writers give a tweet that it's all intentional, it's just a theory.

I personally would like to see Pinkie's parents-disorder s on the autism spectrum are caused by several different mutant genes. As it's a mutation, it's only possible for siblings to have it if one or both parents carry the one or more of the genes. If one or either of the elder pies demonstrates even a few symptoms from the spectrum, that would be huge evidence for the theory.
    Cartoon Overanalyzations is gone (and never updated anyway), so if anyone has a similar site, I'd love to see stuff like this on it.

30. - Top - End - #1440
    Titan in the Playground

The Heart of the Matter is up! Huzzah!

(The concluding chapter to follow shortly.)