Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Pocket Monsters Online (OoC)

A wild OoC has appeared!

> Fight > Pokemon
    > Item > Run
    So here we are along with our motley crew! First off I'd like to congratulate you all on getting in. Great job with your characters! I'd like it if everybody could do a single post linking their sheet and claiming their color; please refrain from any other posts until everybody has done that. I'll go over everybody's mechanics and make sure that everything is in order and, after that, the game can begin in earnest! You're free to post in the IC as soon as you've posted a character, but no combat or anything will occur until I've done mechanical checks.

In Character: Link... START!
    Battlemap: Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here

Spoiler: Game Information
    Show
    As of now, you all know about as much as Jon Snow.

Best of luck, and may the die be ever in your favor!
    Last edited by Arcran; 2015-05-10 at 10:58 PM.
    Props to Ceika for the new and improved avatar!

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    Yeah, but Arcran is the GM. Can we be sure of anything?
    I always picture Arc as LE, with CE tendancies
    Quote Originally Posted by Espirit15
    Arc is a good GM. Evil, but a good GM

Spoiler: Current Games
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Pocket Monsters Online (OoC)

Character Sheet

Spoiler: Physical Description
    Show
    When most people look at Atalanta, they see a cute-looking young boy. Her Greek heritage is obvious, as can be seen by her olive skin, curly black hair, and large brown eyes. She is rather skinny, enough to make some people wonder if his parents are feeding her properly. The idea of parental neglect is only added to by the fact that her hair grows rather wild and long, something that makes people whisper about whether or not her parents are "raising their son right." She usually dresses in clothes suitable for hiking, along with hiking boots, which are often stained with mud, dust, etc.

Spoiler: Avatar Description
    Show
    Atalanta's game avatar looks a lot like her in real life. However, her figure is more along the lines of what is considered "feminine," and her hair is longer and a bit more tamed, or at least it doesn't look as wild. Her avatar also wears normal hiking clothes, although they do have some green vine patterns on them, and look much newer than the kind she wears in real life.

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Atalanta's grandparents, all four of them, were Greek immigrants. As a result, his mother and father grew up mostly Americanized. However, for both of these children, the question of their heritage seemed less important than the fact that they were both unbelievably absent-minded. Somehow, his mother managed to become a veterinarian, with an assistant constantly at her side, while his father developed an interest in snakes, and started raising several of his own. They met when his dad brought one of his snakes into his mom's vet office. After that one event, something about the two of them clicked. After a close-to-whirlwind courtship, they married, and decided to move to Podunk to start a family. Naturally, they brought all the snakes with them.

After Atalanta was born, and christened "Agamemnon," her grandparents constantly found excuses to drop in, and the baby would probably have died without their help. It's not that her parents were neglectful-they could both get so caught up in their work that they would lose complete track of time. After the grandparents set up a monitoring system in every room of the house, they managed to take good enough care of her. Even so, Atalanta grew up as kind of a "free-range" kid. However, she had a sense of responsibility that frankly both her parents lacked. Soon, she was regularly reminding his parents of upcoming deadlines or mealtimes all on her own. While she often took the opportunity to explore the world around her house, she always returned home on time, even though her parents would probably never notice she was gone.

Atalanta's parents still had an influence on her. She grew up with a deep love for snakes, maybe even more than her dad's. When her parents got her a zoology textbook (technically, they rewrapped one of her mom's old ones) for her birthday, she was deeply grateful. And she was even more grateful when they got her an actual pet snake for her next birthday. The snake, named Asclepius, quickly became her constant companion in exploring the neighborhood and surrounding woods.

However, Atalanta's life wasn't completely a happy one. While her parents would happily drop whatever they were focused on in order to tend to her, and she had the whole forest as his kingdom to explore, it was quite easy for her to fall into the common bullying category of "kid with weird name." That was enough-her other oddnesses didn't even factor into it, until she started growing her hair out. She had never quite liked how she looked with short hair, and her parents were absent-minded enough that even if they disapproved, they probably would take a while to notice. That became something else to be teased about, and she found himself thinking that she wanted a different name. If her name wasn't something so weird, maybe the teasing wouldn't be so bad. The mythological character she was named after didn't even get a good ending!

It took a while for her to put all those feelings, as well as one strange dream she had, together and finally realize that she was a girl. It wasn't really the weirdness of her name that bothered her, or even being teased about it, it was simply that it was a boy's name. She started looking more into Greek mythology, and finally chose "Atalanta" as a name instead. A huntress raised by bears...without the part that involved a guy winning her hand in a race, it was a fantastic story. Despite being finally able to put a word to how she felt, she was still unsure how to tell her parents about it. She wasn't sure if they would have any problem with it, but part of her was still scared.

Spoiler: Personality
    Show
    As mentioned, Atalanta is a very responsible girl. Someone has to be. She has a tendency to set up schedules for both herself and her parents, and "remind parents of their schedule" is often on her own schedule as well. However, she also has a bright, excitable side. She can spend hours wandering in the woods, fascinated by everything around her and discovering new things. She is on good terms with several of the neighborhood kids, and is often eager to share her wilderness-wisdom with them. As well as random facts she got from reading her parents' biology books.

Spoiler: Getting the game
    Show
    Atalanta's neighborhood was the kind that always seemed to be a bit behind the times. Yeah, some of her friends had video games, and she would play alongside them, they never really got into VR gaming for a while. However, quite a few of her friends were actually interested in the Pokemon series, and one of them was following along with the news about the supposed new MMO. As this coincided with her discovery about her gender, she started to get interested in it. The idea of being able to create an avatar and immerse yourself in it fascinated her. She casually mentioned this newfound interest to her maternal grandparents when they visited one day, and said grandparents immediately decided to buy said game for their beloved grandchild.

They were aware enough of the potential popularity to preorder the game, so that Atalanta would be able to get it right on opening day. On that day, they showed up at the Sanna family's door with a package in their hands. Atalanta accepted it with much gratitude, her hands shaking, and after confirming with her parents, headed into her room to figure out how to set it up.

Spoiler: Character creation
    Show
    Atalanta's hands trembled as she slipped the headset on. According to one of the blurbs on the back of the box, the game could read some of your personal physical data to generate a basic avatar for you. She really hoped that she would be able to override it...although the idea of having her avatar mostly resemble her was tempting as well. The loading screen appeared, and she leaned back in her chair and tried to relax.

"Use User Biodata as Base?" asked a dialog box. After a moment, she pressed "yes." Might as well see what it gave her.

The resulting avatar looked a lot like her. The hair was shorter, though. She supposed that was something it couldn't really read properly. And of course, the body...she noticed that quite a few of the adjustment boxes were grayed out. Frowning, she started pressing the various menu options, trying to figure out how to get them to enable themselves. After a bit of mucking around, she finally managed to disable the "Biodata-lock," despite the several warnings provided. Immediately, she switched the avatar's gender from "male" to "female," frowning again at the figure and clothes it proceeded to give said avatar. No, that was too much. She went back to adjusting the figure's dimensions, until she had achieved something more along the lines of what she wanted.

The hair was pretty easy. She pulled the length slider as far as it would go, chuckling a bit at the Rapunzel-esque appearance it gave the avatar. She dialed it back a bit, noticing how much neater it looked. Well...she decided it looked fine this way, as well. Clothes were next. She scrolled through the "outfits" tab until she found a "hiker" outfit. Picking it, she decided it fit pretty well. Noticing a "patterns" tab, she decided to check it out. "Oooh," she muttered upon seeing the vine pattern option. She picked that, dragging the pattern onto all her clothes. There! Now they coordinated! She adjusted the brightness a bit, making the vines a bit more muted in shade, before going on to the stat selection screen.

Huh...apparently the Biodata had also scanned some of her physical abilities. Looking through the stat options, she decided she was mostly happy with what they had given her as default. However, she pushed "Survival" up a few notches, moving down "Athletics" to make up for it. Looking through the class options, she noticed five being highlighted. Apparently all of those depended on the Survival skill itself. After reading some brief descriptions, she decided that she liked the look of "Survivalist" and "Backpacker" best. She picked options about things that were somewhat familiar to her, although admittedly this "Wallrunner" thing was something she couldn't do in real life. But it seemed so awesome!

Next...picking her Pokemon. She scrolled through the selection several times, trying to find something that jumped out at her. However, on her third run-through, she paused, before noticing a green creature with a serpentine head. It had arms and legs, but it looked snake-like anyways. Pressing on it to bring up more information, she noticed the species name: "Grass Snake Pokemon." Grinning even wider, she pressed the confirmation button, bringing up the information selection screen. She sped through the stat portion, selecting a "Nature" that sounded nice and choosing the stat distribution mostly at random. After some thinking, she decided to choose "female" for its gender. As for a name...her body was pointy all over, and she was a Grass-type...

"Acantha."

Going back to the main creation menu, Atalanta then noticed something interesting. "Voice adjustment?" she asked, pushing the button. She was confronted with several sliders she had no idea how to read, and a "sample" button. Pushing the button, a prompt asking her to speak popped up on screen.

"Hello?" she said. The word came out very differently from what she had expected. It was much more high-pitched, more...feminine. Huh. She started playing with the sliders, slowly getting into it. Finally, she settled on a voice she liked a lot more. It reminded her of several of her slightly older female friends, who were going through puberty now. She leaned back, pressing the sample button one last time.

"Hello, my name is...my name is..." Darn. She had to think of a name for her avatar. Something associated with Greek mythology as well, perhaps...then it came to her.

"My name is Artemis!"

Smiling, she returned to the main menu, noticing with some surprise that the name "Artemis" was already written above her avatar's head. Well, that was convenient. Although maybe a bit creepy. Shrugging, she pressed the "log in" button, and everything went black. Slowly, things became clearer again. She raised her hand...and saw it in front of her, although slightly digitized. Looking down, she saw her avatar's...no, her body.

It was perfect.

Claiming the color Dark Green, if no one has a problem with that!
    Last edited by GrayGriffin; 2015-05-06 at 05:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Currently playing as Atalanta/Artemis in Arcran's Pocket Monsters Online! (OOC|IC)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

-blink-
    I got in? o.O
    I honestly didn't expect that, especially since I have absolutely no idea where my character is going now. This is gonna be FUN.

Sean

Background:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler: It's My Life!
    Show
    I run. If you asked me what made me me, what made me different from everyone else, that would be my answer. Half a hundred heartbeats, memories sprinkled through my life. Races won and lost, praise and laughter.

Others run for all sorts of reasons. To stay in shape, to win prizes, to be part of something. Not me. No music sets the pace of my runs, no friend's feet land beside mine. I don't care about the exercise. I belong to no club, I stopped racing long ago. I run to run. To be alive. I run for joy.

Or, I used to.

Up until I was 19, I had a blessed life. Tall, athletic, fairly handsome, smart enough to coast through school and into college with little effort. A little shy, antisocial, geeky perhaps. But I had friends enough for myself, a few girlfriends, and my whole life set out in front of me. Until the accident.

2 years later, and it still hurts to talk about it. So I'll keep this short. I went for a hike. I was walking by the side of a cliff, when the ground collapsed. I fell 7 or 8 meters down onto rock. I broke my back in 4 places, both feet, 1 ankle, and dislocated my shoulder. I lay there for 17-odd hours until I managed to signal for help.

And you know what everyone said? I was lucky. Lucky I didn't die when I landed. Lucky I had so little nerve damage, and no paralysis. Lucky I had been able to attract attention. Lucky there was such a good surgeon there. On and on and on, until at last I snapped, screaming. "I FELL OFF A ****ING CLIFF. I AM NOT LUCKY!"

Anyway. With all the surgery on my back, my feet and ankle were left to fend for themselves. "Oh, in only 2 years you should make an almost complete recovery. How lucky!" The long and the short of it is, when I finally went in to have my feet looked at, I got a simple answer. "The break in your ankle was worse than we thought. With physical therapy, you should be able to walk without pain. But you'll never run again."

Then came everything else. Insult after insult, added to my injuries. My girlfriend broke up with me. I had to drop out of college. My friends moved on with their lives while I sat there, crippled and alone. And then what? I had always dreamed of joining the army, being a park ranger, working outdoors. Now out of college, I tried, applying for everything like that. But the lasting damage to my back and feet was bad enough that none would take me.

I stayed in shape, at least. Pride and stubbornness, physical therapy and stationary biking and swimming. But you can't get lost in the beauty of the day, and swim for joy. Can't stationary bike across a field, laughing all the way. And I carried on with my life that was robbed of life. I did consider suicide, but that isn't ME.

And then, to my tiny apartment and dead-end job, there came a gem of light. A new game, a virtual reality simulator. I played pokemon, sure, but I wasn't into it all that much. THAT wasn't what drove me to save for months; to queue outside a store for hours waiting for it to open.

What did that was a promise, from advertisements and leaked footage. That being in the game was indistinguishable from real life, while there. And that, in the game, you could run.

Spoiler: It's My Character!
    Show
    Breathe in. Breathe out.

I should probably get some rest first. I feel like I haven't slept in forever. Probably have some food, too. But I'm too impatient for that. My hands shook so badly I could barely unwrap my purchases. I managed in the end, and now here I am, lying on my bed, an unfamiliar helmet pressed against my temples.

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Of course, now that I've come this far, I'm not sure if I can go through with it. This whole thing feels so unnatural. And what if it's not what I hope? What if... what if... but I know already I am just putting it off. With a last look at the ceiling through the awkward visor, I let my eyes slip slowly closed. "Link... Start!"

Breathe in. Breathe....

Blankness. White space. I don't know if you've ever been doped up on far too many painkillers, but the effect was similar. I was floating, feeling nothing in my body. Then, a voice. "To continue in English, press 1. Para Espanol..." And suddenly, I did have a body. A featureless, awkward thing. A few basic selections later (seriously? VR as a different gender?), and I can fine-tune my false body.

Body shape obviously has to be as close as possible to my real body. Tall, lanky, slender. Features... well, I don't see how it really matters. A few quick motions gives me back my familiar dark brown hair and pale eyes. The specifics I ignore in my rush to finally enter the game.

Again, the voice. "Choose your class!" Well, if there was an easier question, I haven't found it, since right at the top of the list I see 'Athlete'. Done. Now, surely! But no. Again, the voice. "Choose your starter!" Varicolored animals spring into view in front of me. Almost snarling with impatience, I jab my finger at the closest. Some purple bat. Like it matters to me.

Sure, I bet there are players out there who are diligently searching out the most powerful pokemon, optimising for combat or for contests. Perhaps even most of them, given how few players got the release this early. Not me. This is probably an insult to the game, but I could care less.

But again, the voice holds me back. "What would you like to call your dear companion?" I lose it. "Come ON already!" And I can move! There is a quest to do, people to speak to, shops to visit, but I ignore them. Aim for the hills and take off.

I barely make it out of the town. Yes, I am running, my feet perfect for the first time in years, not even a twinge from my ankle. But it isn't the same. There is no life in this sterilised motion. It's just a mechanic for getting from place to place, as thrilling as sitting in the rear of a bus. There is no breath rasping in my chest, no heartbeat pounding in my ears. 'What do you want, then!' I think to myself. 'If it's just a workout, you can get it on a machine! If it's just to run, you have that now! What do you want?!'

Enough. I can't deny it any longer, not even to myself. I scream, not knowing or caring if my voice rings out or stays inside my mind. "I want my life back!" Then I let myself fall forwards, on hands and knees, sobbing. I need a hug. And suddenly, there is a warm pressure against my tearstained face. The pokemon I selected at random, that I hadn't cared about in the slightest, is there, nuzzling me, giving whatever comfort it can.

With an incoherent sob, my arms shoot out to latch around it. It is a long time before I can stop crying. But the Zubat, delighting in the name of 'Come On Already', stays with me the whole time.

Claiming Saddle Brown for speaking in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vixsor Lumin
    ..... that was the coolest way I've ever seen some one ask for permission to betray everything.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Scarlet will be speaking in Navy.

IRL Name: Jakuzure Rukia
    Character Sheet

Spoiler: MY AVATAR
    Show

Scarlet is about 5'4, 110 lbs. She dresses in lightweight clothing, that is usually far to flashy for its own good. Not that she minds. Better to stand out than blend in. Her bubblegum pink hair is styled in a odd blend of a ponytail, topnot and a bun. The kind of look that she'd never do in real life, if only because she wasn't the kind of person to spend an hour just getting her hair right. Scarlets wardrobe is usually in shades of purple, which she likes, since she read that purple is the color of royalty. Despite the debatable-fashon choices, her outfit is pretty good for utilitarian purposes, and certainly not as bad as it could have been.

Spoiler: OPENING DAY
    Show

Getting a game was easy, in fact, I never even needed to try to get one. That being said, can't say I had much an interest in getting one either. Let me back up a few steps. My dad works as a programmer, and was part of the team that developed the game. Nothing fancy, mind you. He'd be the first to tell you that his job was just another cog in the machine. Anyhow, he was granted Beta-tester status, to help find bugs in the software, all that jazz. Thing is, my dad SUCKS at games (though I guess I'm not much better). Guy can write software no sweat, but he just didn't have the right mindset to actually play them. So he gave the Beta-Account to my older brother, Kiyomaro, who is a total gamer freak.

Anyhow, about a week before the full game ships, Kiyomaro's report card came in, and guess who was failing three of his classes? Our folks were not happy, I don't mind saying. But thats what you get when you spend 95% of your time playing on your computer. Kiyo got banned from his games for two months, and I swear, I think he was going to cry when he realized that would mean missing out on playing for the opening day. Especially since he had his game all pre-ordered and everything. Guy was crushed.

So opening day rolls around, and Kiyo still gets his game, but cant play it. And as his younger sister, its practically my job to rub some salt in that wound. I got Dads permission to play Kiyo's game, making me (The biggest non-gamer in the family) first one to play the real thing. Figured I'd give it a try, see what all the fuss was about, and then quit once Kiyo's punishment was over.

Spoiler: MAKING A CHARACTER
    Show

URG! Stupid machine! I mumble is frusteration, trying to get the virtual console to respond. "I already said I want to be a girl. G-I-R-L! FEMALE! Go back to the gender selection screen already". As I looked on in horror, the digital projection of my avatar shimmered, and once more refused to turn into a female character. At present, it was a portly, heavily bearded man of what looked to be Indian decent, with fish-like lips and a nose that looked like it was trying to detach itself from the rest of the face. "This shouldn't be that hard" I groan, futility adjusting the various sliders and attribute windows, trying to find a 'back' button. My avatar morphs and mutates with each attempted change. One moment, his skin turns flourecent green. The next, his eyes double in size. Suddenly he's thin, then fat again. It was both infuriating and a little nauseating.

After 15 minutes of getting nowhere, I sighed with defeat "Screw this, I'm Out". Logging off, I feel my body tingle as it returns to the real world. Immediately, I stand up and storm out of my bedroom "KIYO! Your Stupid Game is Broken" I yell.

From downstairs, I hear my brother yell back "Like I care, I'll just return it for a fresh copy in two months and play it then."

"Bite Me" I exclaim, heading down into the living room. Kiyo is sprawled out on the sofa, textbook in hand. I can't read the cover from where I'm standing, but I'm guessing its a math book. "The damn thing won't let me make a girl character"

"Maybe it recognizes your subconcious desire to be a man?" Kioy teased, with a smirk. I maturely respond by smacking the back of his head. We exchange a volly of insults for a minute, while I try to find the user manuel and figure out what I'm doing wrong.

"You are so hopeless, you know that, Rukia? Maybe you should just stick to technology you understand. Like fire, or the wheel" Kiyo comments.

"Maybe you should be actually studying, instead of watching a livestream of the game" I retort, notching Kiyo's hidden his cell phone inside the book he was pretending to read. "Just tell me what I need to fix, and I'll 'forget' to tell Mom you were slacking on your homework."

Kiyo hesitated a moment, torn between his desire to prevent me from playing his game, and his desire not to get caught. After a moment, he sighed, then smiled. "I hate you"

"Hate you too, now spill" I smile back.

As it turns out, I needed to recalibrate the rig, which was still configured to Kiyo's Biodata. Thats why it wouldn't let me select the female avatars. With that fixed, it was pretty easy to get what I wanted. Pretty much just made a character that looked like myself. I added some extra flair to my hair, but the rest was mostly just an imitation of the real deal.

It also asked me to select my starter. Not really knowing what would be preferable (and because I was pretty impatient to get started by now), I just grabbed the first one that I recognized from playing the older games back when I was still into gaming.

I took one last look over my handiwork, making sure that there wasn't anything too out of place, I scrolled down to the finilize button, and pressed it. "Lets get this thing started!"

Spoiler: PERSONALITY
    Show

Rukia is a pretty hard headed tomboy. She's outgoing and fun, if a bit overly stubborn and prone to getting frustrated. Thankfully, her frustration never really turns into outright anger. She'll just smolder for a while. Rukia is not really big into gaming. Sure, she's played games before, but never really found one that grabbed her interest for long. Though, to be fair, that could be said of most things. She's a dabbeler, in a lot of ways. She'll through herself at whatever interests her, but doesn't like to commit to something for long term.

Spoiler: LIST OF DESIRED POKEMON
    Show

Note: NOT munchlax. Munchlax is dumb. Only Snorlax. Other Pokemon on this list are fine in a pre-evo form. But not this one.

Last edited by NineOfSpades; 2015-05-12 at 01:55 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm, my go-to color was taken. How about Coco speaks in ... Red

Here's my sheet:

Wonderful, then I'm happy to present Janessa Holland/CoCo, a woman who worked on the project helping to design and illustrate clothing options for female avatars during character creation (she knows nothing about the game other than the clothing and hair options available to female avatars at character generation, so I'm not trying to cheat my way into extra info or anything like that). The wikidot has character background, character description, and avatar description.

Getting the Game
    Spoiler
    Show

Janessa walked into her apartment and flung her soaking wet raincoat onto the couch before dumping the veritable ton of bills on the table. She wrung out her hair in the sink without the drama she used to - getting wet was an occupational hazard of living in Seattle. Looking at the bills, she sighed. She'd gotten two rejections today, and the one interview she'd been offered this week hadn't gone well. All that and she still had bills to pay. Her mother had offered Janessa to let her move back in, but she had entirely too much pride for that.

Four episodes of The Office later, Janessa finally began to sift through the bills without much enthusiasm. Phone bill, cable bill (why did Connor insist they pay for cable when there was free television everywhere now?), utilities bill, the pile went on and on. Even one for an overdue library book she'd forgotten about. Then her hands settled on a manilla envelope that didn't fit with the piles of official pasty white declarations of bankrupcy that she'd set aside. Janessa held the manila envelope in her hands for a brief moment. Her name was printed across the front with the return address in Tokyo. When she saw that it was from Nintendo, her heart skipped a beat.

It’s here!” she said to herself excitedly. It was supposed to come a week ago, and she'd given up hope that it would arrive by the time the game launched. She ripped the envelope open quickly, her breathing heavy with excitement. Inside was the plastic packaging for Pocket Monsters Online and a sheet of white parchment. She glanced at the letter quickly, her eyes scanning the Japanese characters.

Janessa,

Thanks again for all your hard work. We are proud to present the finished version of Pocket Monsters Online to the world. As a thanks for your participation on the project, we’d like to give you one of the first copies of the game. The enclosed chip will allow you to begin playing as soon as registration opens at midnight of our release date.

We hope you’ll join us in creating the next generation of Pokemon Masters!

Shigeru Ohmori
    Pocket Monsters Online Project Directo
    r

The letter was typed, and the signature was nothing more than a stamp, but it gave Janessa a feeling of pride that she had been a part of creating this product. Sure, she’d only been an artist working on what the avatars looked like, one in a sea of recent studio art graduates working to create the near infinite range of visual effects throughout the game, but she treasured even that small role. The reviews for the game had contained praise for the artistic design, and, while it paid **** money, it was sure to open up some doors at some of the hundred video game studios around the country. Not that it had helped yet, but she planned to wait until after the game was released to apply for those jobs. Of course, she’d have taken the job at Nintendo even if it had been an unpaid internship; pokemon was her childhood, and she wouldn't have given up this opportunity for anything in the world.

Janessa quickly went to her bedroom and collapsed on the bed, clutching the package and grabbing her Nintendo Goggles. She glanced at the beat up alarm clock on her nightstand: 11:42. She had another twenty minutes before the code would be activated, the first copies of the game sold in stores around the world, and the world’s most anticipated massive multiplayer online game would begin.

She had some time, so she fixed herself an egg before sliding the chip into her Nintendo Goggle Port, and slipped the comfortable headset onto her head. She adjusted her hair into a bun for comfort (she’d be here for a while she was sure) and watched the dialogue box open with a large countdown in bright orange letters underneath the pokemon logo. As the countdown approached zero, she sent a text to her boyfriend
    It came!!!! Come over tomorrow and we’ll play. <3” She hit send right as the dialogue box changed to a login screen. It was time.

Character Generation
    Spoiler
    Show

The world was blue, and Janessa was floating in a room of blue nothingness. In front of her stood several mirrors, polished to perfection, reflecting herself from various angles. She glanced around, waiting for something to happen. She was surprised that there hadn't been some sort of welcome menu at the start. Suddenly, a very familiar voice broke through her thoughts.

"Hello there! Welcome to the world of Pocket Monsters Online! This world is inhabited far and wide by creatures called pokémon! For some people, pokémon are pets. Others use them for fights. And some study pokemon to learn about our world. First, tell me a bit about yourself. Are you a boy or a girl?” Of course they would start it like this. She should have seen this intro coming from a mile away, although it was a bit odd that there wasn't a pokemon professor standing in front of her. Maybe there wasn't a professor in this game? Despite having worked on the project, she knew next to nothing about what the game was actually going to be like. Nintendo very much operated on a 'need to know' basis.

The images of Janessa faded and two generic avatars appeared in the mirrors, one male and one female. “Female” she said without question. She’d only worked on female avatars after all, and she was going to wear her creations damn it! Besides, it could be fun to flirt with men in the game to make Connor jealous.

So you're a girl. Next let's move on to your name, what is it?

As a holographic keyboard appeared in front of her, Janessa didn’t hesitate. She had picked out her username over a year ago while working on the project. CoCo. It was both a tribute to her favorite fashion house (not that she could ever afford it) and a subtle reference to her own contributions to the game.

Right … So your name is CoCo?
    Yes” Janessa said.

Welcome to Pocket Monsters Online CoCo. Please customise your avatar to suit you. Once you finish character creation, these choices will be final, so please think carefully about how you want to appear.

Janessa hurried through the face and body creation, wanting simply to get to the clothing. The avatar looked a bit like her, although she threw in a beauty mark for fun. She also made sure to make her breasts on the flat side. She’d spent so much time looking at big boobs while shading them that she had no intention of ever playing a large-bosomed character again. They would also attract a bunch of perverts, which was not what she was interested in.

When she finally got to the clothing selection, Janessa was surprised by the sheer amount of options she had. Sure she’d been on the design team, but she hadn’t quite realized just how much content they had generated. She scrolled through the options carefully, pausing on the pieces she designed and admiring how they looked on her avatar's body. However, she already knew what she was going to wear. It was a red kimono, her red kimono, the one hanging in her closet now. Her late grandmother had made it for her, and it was one of her most treasured possessions. And now it was forever immortalized in the game.

After finishing up the last few details of her apperance, Janessa moved on to her character’s mechanics. Now she was in unfamiliar territory and had no idea what kind of classes the real game designers had put in the game. Flipping through the classes, she quickly discounted martial artist, bezerker, and other combat classes. If she had wanted to be in battle she’d have chosen something much tighter fitting than her kimono. She similarly discounted the magic classes, finding them boring and trite. Everybody always wanted to be a special snowflake. Heck, look at any fantasy novel ever and you’d know that. No, she wanted something more mundane.

Then she found it. The perfect class for her. “What?!?!? They made a fashion class! I am so taking that one” Digging through some of the other options, she settled on Backpacker as a second class, since it had some clothing related abilities. She dumped some points into HP and Speed and told the voice that she was done with her selection.

Her avatar disappeared from the mirror, and a selection of pokemon appeared in the screens. “Please select your starter

A quick glance told Janessa that there were more than just the standard three pokemon here. She was stunned. This was crazy for nintendo. An actual starter selection? What next, multiple save files? However, in an ode to Yellow, one of her favorite games, she chose pichu. What better way to start what was bound to be the most fun pokemon game in the world? Plus they might have included cosplay pikachu in the game, which would be so much fun.

The mirrors showed her all of her choices thus far, avatar, stats, and starter. The voice came back and asked. “This is your chosen character. Are you sure this is the character you want? Once you make this choice, the changes are permanent and the game will begin.”

I’m sure

Suddenly Janessa’s body pixelated and reformed into her avatar, and a pichu appeared at her feet. She smoothed the kimono, even though it was already perfect, enjoying the feeling of wearing her creation. She was ready.

The voice came back for one final announcement. “CoCo! Your very own pokemon legend is about to unfold. A world of dreams and adventures with Pokemon awaits. Let’s go!” And with that, the blue world faded as her entire reality was reconstructed in front of her to the starting spot for her adventure.
    Last edited by CosmicOccurence; 2015-05-06 at 09:17 AM.
    Many thanks to Ceika for the wonderful avatar.

Aatos My medieval pokemon setting.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

Johto: Guardians of Legends as Julius Varro

World at War (PTA) as Francis May

GM of Exploring Aatos a Medieval PTA game.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Zero the Tank, played by the troll Rui, played by the magnificent IrnBruAddict. I prefer a lighter green.

Spoiler: Why she got the game
    Show
    Rui frantically moved and clicked her mouse as she stared at the screen, showing off a game of Counter Strike. As always, their clan was winning. By a large amount. After headshotting a sniper from across the map with a pistol, Rui chugged down some energy drink, spilling it across her shirt. It didn't matter, Hinata would likely come in tonight and bully her into getting clean. It was 6 days since Rui last bathed, and most of her clothes were stained with noodle sauce, sugary snacks and drink spills, so this was usually the time she'd make Rui clean herself. But since it was still school hours, the 9 year old still had a few hours of gaming before then.

The clan, known as Under-bridge due to their love of trolling, were currently defending a bomb from counter-terrorists. Since the game wasn't challenging against scrubs of this level, the gang had naturally turned their discussion to what game they were going to troll next, since it had been 2 months since they had been banned from Everquest and they were starting to get bored. Poopbucket was first to chime in. 'So, I was thinking we make a new guild in WoW and check out the new expansion. I've heard the loot the new bosses drop is pretty sweet, so if we can get that first, we can camp outside the dungeons and murder anyone who tries to get it.'

Their boss, 420BlazeKing, shook his head as he lined up a target with his AWP and pulled the trigger, dropping the player. 'Naw dawg, we beat the last expansion just last year, WoW is getting stale. Plus the new race sucks. What about that Mass Efffect MMO? I got a cousin who says gold trading on that is fierce, so we can make some good money on that!'

GandalftheGay wasn't so sure. 'But that game's mods are total hard asses. Plus, it's mostly noobs playing, since all the high level dudes found EA cut out all the late game content. I'm not playing that crap.'

Rui typed 'Yeah, ME sound about as exciting as a night with Bucket's mother. We need something new.' She spotted a grenade lobed over the wall, and calmly waled over to it, counted to 2, then chucked it back. She smiled as she watched ZEROF**KSGIVEN, her gamer tag, score a triple kill. So they were planning on rushing, huh? Sucks to be them.

'Shut it Zero!' yelled Poopbucket down his mic. 'Why don't you just go play that gay ass Pokemon MMO.'

Rui smiled as she got a rise out of Bucket. He always was the easiest of the group to rile up. 'What the hells a Pokemon?' she typed.

'It's that stupid Nintendo game. You know, the yellow mouse thing from Smash? The guy they cut to finally put Ridley in the game?'

'Oh, you mean Pikachu? Yeah, I've never played his game, heard it was just some lame JRPG, made by ****tendo.'

'Yeah, my Uncle plays it. He was a kid when it first came out. Apparently a lot of old farts still play. Something about Rule 34, I dunno. Plus a fair few kids play it too. And you know how much I love making kids cry. I even got a copy of it.'

'But King, I thought you were going bully the kids in the new Club Penguin?' asked Gandalf. 'Plus, my little brother is going to play that, I don't want to get involved with that ****.'

'****' sword King. 'Fine then you f**, well play Club ****ing Penguin, Bucket'll try the ME game and Zero gets the Pokemon game. We try them for a week, and which ever game seems best, we all jump on it and troll the crap out of it until we get VAC banned, same as always.'

'Why the heck am I getting the Pokemon game?' typed Rui.

'Cos 1, you're gay and still don't have a mic yet. 2, I say so and I'm the boss. 3, I already promised Gandalf I'd help him, and Bucket is the only one of us who likes Sci-fi games. And lastly,' King stood on the roof and equipped his RPG. He shot it off in the distance to the enemy spawn, and soon he scored a Quad kill. 'You got the lowest KD ratio this match, so you get the kiddy game. I'll e-mail you the CD key, so shut up.' King's character started tea-bagging the air as the timer ran out and 'Terrorists Win' popped up.

Rui slammed her fist on her desk, knocking off a few empty cans and ramen cups onto the floor. It wasn't her fault she didn't have a mic yet, she couldn't get one or else the guys would know she's a girl. And if her dad hadn't sold her gaming mouse for booze money, she'd have a better KD score. 'Argh, fine!' she typed. But if what King said was true, this Pokemon thing might be worth a laugh. A smile came across Rui's face in that dark room. It wasn't even put off by the Team Auto-balancer kicking in and putting her on the CT side.

'Oh, hey, Team Balance! Hey new guy, you were kicking ass as a terrorist, so I hope you can help us win this round, those guys are pretty good.' The mischevious grin on Rui's face widened as this guy chatted.

'Hey, listen ******. The reason you lost was cos you suck.' ZeroF**ksGiven switched to grenades. 'And really? You expect me to play on the Counter-Terrorist side?'

'Well, yeah...' her new team-mate responded. 'It's auto-balance. I know they are your clanmates, but come one. It's one game, and we could use your help. It's only one game after all.'

Rui clicked her mouse, sending a grenade into the air. A flick of the scroll wheel, and her character Zero had switched to his pistol. He drew a lin on the grenade as it slwly fell in-between his new team-mates. 'I don't care who I'm with or against.' she typed. 'I just never play the good guy.' Rui double clicked her mouse, and the grenade exploded in mid-air, taking out ZEROF**KSGIVEN and the rest of the Counter Terrorist team. Rui laughed as she was booted from the server for team killing. She exited the game, then started searching for information on this "Pokemon" game.

'Let's see how kid friendly this game stays once I get my hands on it.' The young japanese girl threw her head back and laughed, the same kind of vil laugh you'd see in a TV show or cartoon by the villain. But unfortunately, her chair was still broken from last week when she threw it across the room in a rage, so the motion caused the chair to fall backwards.

'Oh sh-'

Spoiler: Making the character
    Show
    Rui sighed as she spun her character around, looking at him from all angels.

'How come there is no bulge slider? Most MMOs come with boob sliders, but not many games come with the slider to change the size of my guys junk.Nintendo should know I like em big.' Annoyed, she just starts flicking through the facial features, until she makes a blonde haired blue eyes white guy. She made him sort of scruffy to give him that bad boy image. 'There, that's the kind of guy American chick are into.' As she give him the once over, the character in front of her looked as different from the small and frail little japanese girl Rui was on the outside. She had never felt comfortable pplaying as a girl, and as far as Rui cared, everyone was a guy on the internet until proven otherwise. As 4chan said, Boobs or GTFO!

After entering a bunch of names, she found out Hitler, Stalin and Satan were all blocked by Nintendo's filters. Eventually she just entered her normal screen name, ZEROF**KSGIVEN. Then she moved on to the important part.

'What was it that website called it?' She flicked through all the various starters. She was looking for a special one. When she googled 'Most annoying Pokemon', one kept popping up again and again. And this one was supposedly pretty strong when it was fully powered up. What was it they called it? Evoltuion? 'Ah, here we go! Last one on the list!' She tapped, and Zubat was chosen as her starter. 'I bet I can make sooo many people rage when I use the dirty tricks this guy knows.'

Lastly was classes. And when Under-Bridge ran raids on MMOs, they each had their own roles. King was healer, Bucket was DPS and Gandalf was an AoE Mage. As always, Rui went to her usual role as the Tank. She loved playing the big guy who doesn't go down. She selects the Fortress and Enduring Soul classes. She was briefly tempted by the class that got better when beating up their own pokemon, but Rui decided to leave that class till later. If she didn't now the basics at least, she'd just weaken herself.

'There. Zero F**ks Given, just as always. Lets do this.!' It was only at the last minute that Rui noticed that the censors had caught her name, and had just auto-changed it to Zero.

'Wait, I want to change my name. I gotta change it before it finishes. Oh sh-'
    "The advantage of fighting your clone is you know EXACTLY what will make him feel guilty. That's also how Catholicism beats up so many ninjas." - Christopher Hastings, Dr McNinja

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, now that everybody is posted it seems like a good time to check everybody's mechanics!

Artemis
    • You can make your Skill Stunts a little broader; Climbing trees could be changed to just climbing, for example.
    • Just to make sure, you've already selected Grasslands and Forest, right? If you want to start with Terrains, you can choose from Grassland, Forest or Urban.
    • Other than that, you're good to go!

sean_hyer
    • Come On Already needs Inheritance Moves.
    • You should have 500, not 5,000.
    • You're missing the 5 free Pokeballs, 2 free Potions and free Backpack.

Scarlet
    • Seems good to go!

CoCo
    • On Sparky, Attack must be higher than Hit Points due to Base Relation.
    • For Researcher, you need to specify which Fields of Study you selected.
    • You're all missing the Potions and Pokeballs.

Zero
    • Brobat needs Inheritance Moves.

Also, Irn and sean, if one of you wants to swap starters I will allow that. I have no problem with two Zubat starters, but if one of you would like something new at this point go for it!

Other than that, we should be good to go! Let's see how fast I can kill one of you!

Show

Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

I'll stick with Brobat. Didn't pick it cos it was my fave or it's power, I chose it cos it fits the troll character the best.

As for his egg moves; Pursuit, Whirlwind, Bravebird?
    "The advantage of fighting your clone is you know EXACTLY what will make him feel guilty. That's also how Catholicism beats up so many ninjas." - Christopher Hastings, Dr McNinja

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict View Post
    I'll stick with Brobat. Didn't pick it cos it was my fave or it's power, I chose it cos it fits the troll character the best.

As for his egg moves; Pursuit, Whirlwind, Bravebird?
    Inheritance Moves fine by me!

Also, if everybody could get a picture for their in-game avatar I'd really appreciate it! Also, I'll be marking your Pokemon tokens to indicate that they're yours; let me know if there's any specific symbol or something you'd like me to use!
    Last edited by Arcran; 2015-05-06 at 12:02 PM.

Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #10

AssassinGuy

All the things you pointed out have been changed. Thanks.

I randomly generated my starter, so if one of us changes it it should be me. My gut says not to since it feels like cheating somehow, but I'll leave it up to Zero. If she wants to be special, I'll switch it out ^^
    ..... that was the coolest way I've ever seen some one ask for permission to betray everything.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Shoot, just noticed this as well. sean, you have Moves on your Inheritance List that are Tutor Moves; they need to be either Egg or TM Moves. Sorry!

Show

Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Nah, I'm absolutely fine with having someone else with Zubat. Hell, you should all change and pick Zubat! Glory to Team Rocket! .... what was I saying?

this pic is on my sheet, but here ya go.
    Spoiler: Picture of Zero (and his player Rui too)
    Show

As for a marker token? just throw the 4 chan symbol on them for me.
    Last edited by IrnBruAddict; 2015-05-06 at 12:35 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

AssassinGuy

Shoot, of course you just noticed that. I just put them on there. Using the wrong list.

The only move I can't have is Tailwind, right? Changed it out for fly.
    Last edited by sean_hyer; 2015-05-06 at 12:16 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sean_hyer View Post
    Shoot, of courze you just noticed that. I just put them on there. Using the wrong list.

The only move I can't have is Tailwind, right?
    Yep! Fix that and you'll be fine.

Show

Show

15. - Top - End - #15

AssassinGuy

It's surprisingly hard to find a good picture.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Is that just Kirito?

Also, some watermark or something I can put on your Pokemon's tokens to differentiate it from wild/other Trainer's Zubat? I'd like that from everybody; just something small I can plop in the corner or something.

Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Meant to give it attack conflict, but I forgot. If I'm not allowed to start with TP spent, then I'll change it, but I'll be grabbing that as soon as I get an hour to spare.

I specify Artificer and Jailbreaker branches on my Level 1 tab.

Everything else is fixed.

Avatar picture is the one on my sheet. As for an image for tokens, how about this:
    Last edited by CosmicOccurence; 2015-05-06 at 01:18 PM.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

Just realized that Sean is the only guy in the party. XP

Anyways, pictures for Atalanta:
    Spoiler: Pictures
    Show

Basic pic. The Heavy Ball is there for color coordination purposes, that's all.

Pic of Artemis and Acantha.

Headshot, if needed.

And this symbol for her Pokemon.

EDIT: Also, I forgot for a moment about Zero's avatar and was imagining a 9-year old poking a burly blacksmith in the chest for a moment.
    Last edited by GrayGriffin; 2015-05-06 at 02:09 PM.
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Currently playing as Atalanta/Artemis in Arcran's Pocket Monsters Online! (OOC|IC)

19. - Top - End - #19

AssassinGuy

Did you draw that yourself? o.O

Let's go with this for a symbol:

20. - Top - End - #20

Haha, no. I used this person's Pokemon Trainer Maker.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

One trainer battle token, coming up!

22. - Top - End - #22

AssassinGuy

That is incredibly awesome.
    Shame it makes everyone look kind of girly, or I'd certainly use it (and it doesn't come in Zubat) xD

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Ok, here's a question. Janessa as a human (the character playing the game) has been an avid pokemon fan since gen 1. She'd be 94% certain that these are ratata, and if they are ratata, she'd be able to confirm that upon seeing them. However, that doesn't fit with the pokemon edu check system you did in your post (I'm playing her with about the same amount of knowledge that I have, since I also started gen 1). Should I play it as if Janessa has no idea what these could be. Just curious how this works, since our characters have access to all the knowledge about pokemon that we as players do, which is a bit different than your average game.
    Last edited by CosmicOccurence; 2015-05-06 at 05:08 PM.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicOccurence View Post
    Ok, here's a question. Janessa as a human (the character playing the game) has been an avid pokemon fan since gen 1. She'd be 94% certain that these are ratata, and if they are ratata, she'd be able to confirm that upon seeing them. However, that doesn't fit with the pokemon edu check system you did in your post (I'm playing her with about the same amount of knowledge that I have, since I also started gen 1). Should I play it as if Janessa has no idea what these could be. Just curious how this works, since our characters have access to all the knowledge about pokemon that we as players do, which is a bit different than your average game.
    You guys can go ahead and know OoC-IC if that makes sense, but the system isn't going to do you guys any favors as to exactly what a Pokemon is.

Show

Show

25. - Top - End - #25

Changing to present tense to make more sense.

26. - Top - End - #26

AssassinGuy

Ahaha the troll is awesome ahahahahahaha. High level Kirby. I love this guy.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Aww, I was expecting something funny to happen if you open a pokeball while pointing it at your face. Ah well.

Pokemon Education Rolls!

(2d6)[4]

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NineOfSpades View Post
    Aww, I was expecting something funny to happen if you open a pokeball while pointing it at your face. Ah well.

Pokemon Education Rolls!

[roll0]
    I'm actually editing right now because I'm dumb and missed stuff! Sorry!

Show

Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arcran View Post
    I'm actually editing right now because I'm dumb and missed stuff! Sorry!
    Well, I guess you can just call me an Eager Bidoof for jumping the gun and not giving you a chance to make that edit.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NineOfSpades View Post
    Well, I guess you can just call me an Eager Bidoof for jumping the gun and not giving you a chance to make that edit.
    Nope, it's no problem! If I miss something please point it out since, believe it or not, I am only human. Crazy, I know.

Show

Show