New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default What the hell is Kaorti Resin? It says hardly anything about it in Fiend Folio.

Everyone's like "Oh yeah, Kaorti Resin? Great stuff. Helps your weapon crits. It's in Fiend Folio."

Only armor and a specific weapon are described. I want Kaorti resin in the game I'm playing but I need to know exactly what it does and what it costs. pls help
    #MundaneLivesMatter

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What is Kaorti Resin? It says hardly anything about it in Fiend Folio.

Quote Originally Posted by Windrammer View Post
    Everyone's like "Oh yeah, Kaorti Resin? Great stuff. Helps your weapon crits. It's in Fiend Folio."

Only armor and a specific weapon are described. I want Kaorti resin in the game I'm playing but I need to know exactly what it does and what it costs. pls help
    Take a look here. The gist is "it's a special material that gives slashing and piercing weapons an x4 crit modifier." The cost is also detailed in the article, and is based on the cost of the base item.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: What the hell is Kaorti Resin? It says hardly anything about it in Fiend Folio.

Also note that, at least theoretically, any weapon dipped in Kaorti Resin -- longsword, you name it -- thereby becomes an exotic weapon, which then qualifies for Exotic Weapon Master. Only three levels long, but has some interesting tricks if you're focused on Fighter-ish builds.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What is Kaorti Resin? It says hardly anything about it in Fiend Folio.

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Also note that, at least theoretically, any weapon dipped in Kaorti Resin -- longsword, you name it -- thereby becomes an exotic weapon, which then qualifies for Exotic Weapon Master. Only three levels long, but has some interesting tricks if you're focused on Fighter-ish builds.
    Now, just a moment. I don't recall anything about dipping. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the rules explicitly say that if the resin isn't formed into items within a certain time, it dissolves. Kaorti weapons aren't dipped in resin; they're made of it entirely. It's how ribbon daggers, for example, have the flexibility to disarm enemies.
    Last edited by Red Fel; 2015-05-09 at 08:01 PM.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: What the hell is Kaorti Resin? It says hardly anything about it in Fiend Folio.

Fair point, the thrust was merely to point out EWM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Fair point, the thrust was merely to point out EWM.
    Fair point. EWM does work if you get use out of the tricks, and you get three of 'em.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

If you aren't looking to go EWM, and want to save a feat there is a +1 weapon enchant that grants automatic proficiency with that weapon while wielding it. It also sets your BAB on the medium track if it isn't already better. I think the enchant is called Skilled.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Take a look here. The gist is "it's a special material that gives slashing and piercing weapons an x4 crit modifier." The cost is also detailed in the article, and is based on the cost of the base item.
    Maybe I'm stupid but I can't find a buying cost, I only see it covering a cost of creation.
    #MundaneLivesMatter

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

XP costs are equal to 5 gp per XP spent. So if you're making a bastard sword made out of kaorti resin, it costs (335 gp/2 XP * 5 gp/XP) or 840 gp.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

keep in mind not all dms will allow you access to the stuff if i recall correctly from a fluff perspective it should pretty hard to get a hold of

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by awa View Post
    keep in mind not all dms will allow you access to the stuff if i recall correctly from a fluff perspective it should pretty hard to get a hold of
    Not to mention the fact that if you steal one, you'll get a steady stream of kaorti trying to get it back.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGuy

Can you just polymorph yourself into one of these and craft the weapon yourself?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Well, you can PAO someone into a kaorti to make it. I reckon that they would be in high demand, because they are pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    Not to mention the fact that if you steal one, you'll get a steady stream of kaorti trying to get it back.
    Eh... I'm not sure they would put too much effort into it, depending on how good the weapon was. It's too expensive to lose whole kaorti over a single weapon.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

While it takes a moderate amount of effort to make, the Kaorti could make a new one. He probably isn't going to risk dying over the recovery of some lost resources. Especially since XP is an abstraction the character herself doesn't really understand. At most, the Kaorti who made the weapon will stalk you for it. A cabal of Kaorti aren't going to come after you like a pack of Inevitables over a sword.
    Homebrew PrC: The Performance Artist

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    Eh... I'm not sure they would put too much effort into it, depending on how good the weapon was. It's too expensive to lose whole kaorti over a single weapon.
    Oh, right. It must be the Githyanki that don't like having their special semi-liquid weapons taken (those silver sword things).
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Show
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Oh, right. It must be the Githyanki that don't like having their special semi-liquid weapons taken (those silver sword things).
    I think it is a bartering thing. They work hard to convince their red dragon pals that it is the githyanki wielding stupid alchemical swords doing the work and not the nigh immortal super lizards.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I think it is a bartering thing. They work hard to convince their red dragon pals that it is the githyanki wielding stupid alchemical swords doing the work and not the nigh immortal super lizards.
    alchemical? the silver swords are powerful magic items with a potent ability to cut astral cords

18. - Top - End - #18
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Yeah, it's the Githyanki who are seriously uptight about the 'non-Githyanki carrying silver swords' thing.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by awa View Post
    alchemical? the silver swords are powerful magic items with a potent ability to cut astral cords
    Most individuals don't astral project, and swords are extremely weak in a universe of magic and dragons. It is like having a tungsten machete next to a bull dozer.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

When you live in the astral plane, the ability becomes much more useful. Which they do.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Most individuals don't astral project, and swords are extremely weak in a universe of magic and dragons. It is like having a tungsten machete next to a bull dozer.
    I think it's more the principle of the thing. It's their thing, they don't want anyone jacking their thing.

And, uh, the Githyanki live on the Astral plane, so they'll see people astral projecting daily.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'd be more concerned that it's manufactured from a material secreted from the palms of Kaorti and then treated "appropriately". It doesn't seem that you can manufacture it without a captive Kaorti. Which might be considered asking for trouble.

Of course, who cares what happens to a bunch of Kaorti? Ghastly people. But they could probably do a lot of damage to the scenery and the furniture trying to get their cystmate back.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
    Of course, who cares what happens to a bunch of Kaorti? Ghastly people. But they could probably do a lot of damage to the scenery and the furniture trying to get their cystmate back.
    Well, yeah. It goes without saying, the things that those people get up to. Always picking fights, lowering the neighborhood property values, taking our jobs, turning our friends into horrid extraplanar flesh-beasts...
    Last edited by Extra Anchovies; 2015-05-10 at 11:45 PM.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Show
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground

...kidnapping all the local NPCs and replacing them with disguised Kaorti...transforming said kidnapped people into more Kaorti...repeating ad nauseum...I think we've all seen this movie and it's up to you whether you want to star in it just to get your hands on a special material.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Well, yeah. It goes without saying, the things that those people get up to. Always picking fights, lowering the neighborhood property values, taking our jobs, turning our friends into horrid extraplanar flesh-beasts...
    ...Stealing our Wi-Fi...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    ...Stealing our Wi-Fi...
    ...eating and drinking, and, and, smoking!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    ...Stealing our Wi-Fi...
    ...Close dancing, holding hands, kissing in public...
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Show
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

...Close dancing, holding hands, kissing in public...
    Well, we're safe for now. We are in a bowling alley.