New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A by RAW for Pathfinder 4

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    A20: You can read it either way because English is funny like that. It can be read as "Negative energy (all types, such as this example of negative energy)" or as "Negative energy (that works like this example of negative energy)". Judging by most of the examples I've seen though, the first was the intended one. What negative energy specifically were you wondering about?
    Well the conversation came up in a game where we were using Drop Dead Studios: Spheres of Power where someone was utilizing the Destruction: Nether Blast to deal negative energy and heal their undead... But I asserted that it could apply to any number of spells for pathfinder...

2. - Top - End - #32
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mehangel View Post
    Well the conversation came up in a game where we were using Drop Dead Studios: Spheres of Power where someone was utilizing the Destruction: Nether Blast to deal negative energy and heal their undead... But I asserted that it could apply to any number of spells for pathfinder...
    There's a thread where the Spheres of Power designer is answering people's questions directly - why not ask him how he intended this to work? (I haven't read the system myself.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Q21

The summoner eidolon evolution section says "Each eidolon receives a number of evolution points that can be spent to give the eidolon new abilities, powers, and other upgrades. These abilities, called evolutions, can be changed whenever the summoner gains a new level, but they are otherwise set." Does this allow the summoner to change the base form evolutions?

For example, you're trying to emulate a marilith, and go with the serpentine form, but don't want bite, or reach with bite, can you trade those away for arms instead upon levelup?
    Last edited by Crake; 2015-05-19 at 01:54 AM.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

A21: No. When you gain a level, you may redistribute your evolution points to rebuild your eidolon. Base forms don't cost evolution points, they're a set chassis with free evolutions upon which you build using evolution points. Since these initial evolutions are free (i.e. do not cost evolution points) you cannot gain evolution points by removing them to spend on different evolutions.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Q21: Other than by spending a feat on it (or by having a race that gives that feat as a bonus, of course), how do I gain proficiency in an Exotic Weapon? Is there e.g. a trait or magical item that grants proficiency?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Q22: If a Magus is using spell combat, can he take a 5-foot step between weapon attacks and casting a spell?
    Q23: For a caster archetypes that reduce a number of spells you can prepare by 1/level, such as Kensai Magus, does it apply to cantrips too?
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

A21: You used to be able to pick up proficiency with a specific exotic weapon (as in that exact physical weapon) via the Heirloom Weapon trait but this was removed via eratta. At this point you have to spend a feat, use a class feature, or a racial ability.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    Q22: If a Magus is using spell combat, can he take a 5-foot step between weapon attacks and casting a spell?
    Q23: For a caster archetypes that reduce a number of spells you can prepare by 1/level, such as Kensai Magus, does it apply to cantrips too?
    A22: Yes. You can explicitly take a 5' step in the middle of a full attack, and spell combat counts as a full attack.
    A23: Yes, since cantrips are spells (0th-level spells, to be precise).
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

9. - Top - End - #39

A22: Racials are really the only way to permanaently do this outside of feats. There is no blanket trait for this unfortunately as that would make such a trait superior to a feat. Varisian Tattoo gives you bladed scarf and starknife proficiency. Heirloom Weapon gives you proficiency with a specific martial weapon, and combined with a racial familiarity trait and a liberal reading you could start with something exotic that your race treats as martial, e.g. an Elf beginning the game with an Elven Curve Blade heirloom. There is also the Bestow Weapon Proficiency spell, which you can get as a potion, wand or a custom item of some kind.

A23: Yes - and not only that, but if your spell allows you to move (e.g. Bladed Dash or Force Hook Charge) you can do that prior to making your attacks as well. Basically, the order of the actions you perform during the spell combat is up to you, though the spell cast must come before or after all the attacks (i.e. you cannot attack, cast, attack.)

A24: Yes, 0th is a spell level so it is affected.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q25: If a Psion uses the Genesis power and on a second manifestation augments to change planar traits and makes it have the Timeless trait, is the duration of first Genesis itself also treated as permanent?
    Quote Originally Posted by Timeless
    On planes with this trait, time still passes, but the effects of time are diminished. How the timeless trait affects certain activities or conditions such as hunger, thirst, aging, the effects of poison, and healing varies from plane to plane. The danger of a timeless plane is that once an individual leaves such a plane for one where time flows normally, conditions such as hunger and aging occur retroactively. If a plane is timeless with respect to magic, any spell cast with a noninstantaneous duration is permanent until dispelled.
    Last edited by Artillery; 2015-05-19 at 12:15 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41

Q26 if a bloodrager takes the draconic bloodline and then takes levels in dragon devotee does its bloodline level continue to advance as its a dual class of a sorcerer bloodline?

12. - Top - End - #42

A25: Yes, though your plane can still be dispelled of disjoined if you're not careful.

A26 clarification: Dragon what now? Where is that PrC from?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    A25: Yes, though your plane can still be dispelled of disjoined if you're not careful.

A26 clarification: Dragon what now? Where is that PrC from?
    Dragon disciple, my mistake o.o

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowscale View Post
    Dragon disciple, my mistake o.o
    Ah! Yes, Bloodrager explicitly qualifies for Dragon Disciple per Advanced Class Guide Origins pg. 5, and it will advance their version of the draconic bloodline.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Q27:
    If I have Ghost Sound and Silent Image then when I cast Silent Image I can use Ghost Sound at the same time to make my silent Image more realistic? Will be duration of such combination also Concentration or I must recast Ghost Sound ?

Q28:
    When I use stealth I take -5 check penalty when move more than half normal speed, is that mean I halve my speed and I can use 2 actions to move, or that means I can move per round no more than halve my speed to not suffer penalties?

Q29:
    Will I get bonuses from unchained skills when I use Versatile Performance (For example when I use Comedy to bluff)?
    Last edited by MizuDevil; 2015-05-20 at 10:07 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46

A27: Yes, Ghost Sound explicitly states it can be used to make Silent Images more realistic. You would want to cast Ghost Sound first (since it doesn't take concentration) - if you are concentrating on any spell, including Silent Image, you usually cannot cast another one.

A28: It's the former - half speed refers to each move action you take, so you can move twice at half speed without taking penalties. (e.g. if your speed is 30ft., you can take a move action to move 15ft., then a second move action to move another 15ft.) Note that some abilities, like the Fast Stealth rogue talent or the Stealth Skill Unlock from Pathfinder Unchained will remove this penalty.

A29: As written, you have to unlock the skill normally (e.g. have ranks in it, and the skill unlock feat or rogue's edge) to get the unlock benefits. All Versatile Performance lets you do is use another skill's bonus in place of that one.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q30. Can a manifester immune to ability damage(such as an undead/construct) or with a reduction to ability damage(such as the Ring of Inner Fortitude) still benefit from Psychofeedback?

Do you need to take actual ability damage to gain the boost or can you "take the damage" have it reduced to zero and still benefit from the boost to str, dex, or con?

18. - Top - End - #48

Q31. Would Fire Shield or similar effects damage a friendly caster who touches you with a harmless spell such as Cure Light Wounds?

19. - Top - End - #49

A30: The way it is worded seems to prevent this. "Increase it by the same amount you decrease other scores" would mean that if the other scores don't decrease, you get no increase, as written.

A31: No, because they are not striking you with their body or a hand-held weapon.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

20. - Top - End - #50

RangerGuy

Q32

Breath of Life works on victims of a Vorpal weapon?
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

21. - Top - End - #51

A32: Yes, but some assembly may be required.

22. - Top - End - #52

A32: As written no - or rather, even if it did work, the victim would still be missing their head (because the spell says nothing about restoring extremities, or the condition of the remains not being a factor) and they would promptly just die again.

Conceptually this makes sense, because the ability to raise a body that has been dismembered in this way is the province of a 7th-level spell (resurrection) or at the very least carries more significant drawbacks (reincarnate.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

23. - Top - End - #53

RangerGuy

Q33

Not long ago, Psyren (thanks, bub!) answered this question with this answer.

Let's presume a Vorpal hits my character on a Natural 20 and confirms. Moving with a Hero Point avoids this "special attack"? Or should I use Cheat death from Hero Points to survive?

24. - Top - End - #54

A33: It works like a readied action - so you could use it to save yourself from a crit just as if you had readied an action to move "if he attacks me."

I don't think "if he confirms a crit on me" is a valid trigger though (your character would have no way of knowing that until it happened without metagaming) so I would say you should burn the hero point before the GM rolls to confirm, but your GM should be weighing in on a corner case like that anyway.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q34. If someone casts the spell Clairaudence/Clairvoyance and a person under the effects of Mind Blank enters the area, can the caster of Clairvoyance see the Mind Blank'd person or are they functionally invisible to it?

26. - Top - End - #56

A34: They will be invisible (and inaudible) to it, as clairvoyance is a scrying effect.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #57

Q35 by RAW is there a way for a race to take another race's class archtype?

28. - Top - End - #58

A35 facetious: Yes - Reincarnate.

A35 genuine: Specific races can do this freely - for example, half-elves qualifying for elf, human and half-elf archetypes, and Scion of Humanity Aasimar qualifying for human archetypes. Racial Heritage lets humans cheat their way into a wide number, and this also grants the half-breed races (i.e. Half-Elves and Half-Orcs) access too But I gather you're asking more for a blanket allowance to the GM that this is okay. The closest I can find is this line from the ARG: "Typically, only members of the section's race can take the listed archetype, bloodline, or order, though such options rarely interact with the racial traits or alternate racial traits of that race." It's a prohibition, but a very soft one, and the ARG even goes on to point out that adventurers are often atypical, because they tend to be "societal outliers."

What you should take away from all that rambling is that, if you're not a race that has a prescribed way of doing this like Humans, then you've got your work cut out for you - you're not expressly forbidden, but non-human individuals who bridge that divide would be pretty rare, and so you' have quite a bit of buttering up of your GM to do.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2015-05-26 at 01:23 AM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

29. - Top - End - #59

RangerGuy

Q36

We got two Paladins in the party (it's funny, trust me). One uses Aura of Justice (first Paladin) and then the other one uses Weal's Champion (second Paladin).

The second Paladin gets the first Paladin's bonus to attack and damage? I know stacking from the same ability modifier with the same bonus is not possible (Cha and untyped in this case). What about using someone's else ability modifier?

30. - Top - End - #60
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q37

Is the Iron Gods land of Numeria part of the same world as Pathfinder's Golarion or is it it's own realm?
    Is Numeria a nation or a world?