New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A by RAW for Pathfinder 4

Q54: The warpriest has the Sacred Fist archetype which gives the monk's flurry of blows class feature. Can the warpriest elect to take the unchained monk's FOB feature?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Spamalot in the Playground

A54: As with all clear ambiguities this one falls to your GM. No clue whether PFS would allow it. The closest I can find is the recommendation that you either use the old monk or the new one, not both - if you follow that and use unchained, then the old flurry would cease to exist as an option.

Keep in mind you may actually be better off with the regular monk's flurry since that one actually increases your BAB, while the new one assumes you already have full BAB.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q55:
    Warder with Zweihander archetype using Scarlet Einhander adds both bonuses or basically waste a stance?

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by heros271 View Post
    Q55:
    Warder with Zweihander archetype using Scarlet Einhander adds both bonuses or basically waste a stance?
    A55:
    A Warder with the Zweihander Sentinel archetype cannot benefit from Zweihander Training and the Scarlet Einhander stance at the same time, for two reasons.
    1. Shield bonuses don't stack with each other, in the same way that armor (or many other types of) bonuses do not.
    2. Zweihander Training requires the character to be "wielding a two-handed weapon or a one-handed weapon in both hands", while the Scarlet Einhander stance requires them to be "wielding a melee weapon in one hand".
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

5. - Top - End - #95

Damn.

Q56: Does enchantement bonus of Zweihander Sentinel's weapon adds to his AC as well? Or only Aegis bonus?

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Damn.

Q56: Does enchantement bonus of Zweihander Sentinel's weapon adds to his AC as well? Or only Aegis bonus?
    It's usually best to ask all of your questions in one post.

A56: The enhancement bonus of a weapon wielded by a Zweihander Sentinel does not apply to the shield bonus granted by the Zweihander Training ability.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Show
    Show

7. - Top - End - #97

"It's usually best to ask all of your questions in one post." - sorry, they don't appear in my head at once. They appear when I see something important.

Q57 - If you have Buckler Mastery and enchanted buckler do you reiceve enchantement bonus to shield while using Zweihander Sentinel?

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

A57: Like any other shield, an enhancement bonus applied to a buckler increases its shield bonus to AC. However, Buckler Mastery may grant you a shield bonus as part of its effects, but it does not say that you add the buckler's shield bonus to AC, only that you add a +1 shield bonus to AC. So by RAW you don't get to apply the enhancement bonus of the buckler to that +1 shield bonus, but not because it says you can't, only because it doesn't say you can. Buckler Mastery is a third-party feat, so it won't be covered by the Paizo errata/FAQ team; you'll want to ask your DM about this.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Show
    Show

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

Q58
    Shadow walk can also be used to travel to other planes that border on the Plane of Shadow, but this usage requires the transit of the Plane of Shadow to arrive at a border with another plane of reality.
    What planes are considered to border on the Plane of Shadow? The material does, obviously, but what about the Astral/Ethereal/Outer/Inner planes, or Demiplanes?
    Last edited by Zanos; 2015-06-05 at 01:30 PM.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

10. - Top - End - #100

Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    Q58

What planes are considered to border on the Plane of Shadow? The material does, obviously, but what about the Astral/Ethereal/Outer/Inner planes, or Demiplanes?
    Per Great Beyond, Shadow directly touches Material, Astral, Ethereal, and the NEP at its heart. From Astral and Ethereal you can pretty much get anywhere else too, e.g. PEP, First World, the Inner (elemental) planes, and the Outer (alignment-based) planes.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Q59 Is the Master of Many Styles archetype compatible with the Unchained Monk?
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

A59 None of the O-Monk archetypes are compatible with the U-Monk, in PFS. In home games, there's no strict rule about it so ask your DM.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

13. - Top - End - #103
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Q60: Probably a silly question, but for Oracle's Mystery's Revelations, specifically Battle Mystery, Resiliency Revelation, does 'level' mean 'Oracle level' or 'Character level'?

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base...steries/battle

14. - Top - End - #104

Quote Originally Posted by ELC View Post
    Q60: Probably a silly question, but for Oracle's Mystery's Revelations, specifically Battle Mystery, Resiliency Revelation, does 'level' mean 'Oracle level' or 'Character level'?

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base...steries/battle
    A60: Class features which simply state "level" always refer to the class level. If they are intended to scale with your character level they will specifically state "character level".

15. - Top - End - #105

Q61: " If you later take levels in sentinel or evangelist, you lose access to the exalted boons and gain access to the new boons appropriate to your class. "

If you go Sentinel 1 -> Evangelist 1 -> Evangelist (Sentinel) 2-10, which exalted boon you keep? You level up both exalted-boon-changing classes at same time at lvls 2-10...
    Last edited by heros271; 2015-06-06 at 02:55 PM. Reason: adding Q61:

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A61 No official answer that I am aware of. Probably best to ask your DM.

Options:
    A) I'm of the opinion that the intent of Evangelist is that it would only stack with Base Classes, and not PrC's. Thus there is no issue.

B) You get the Evangelist set, as that is the class you are directly advancing

C) You get to pick what set you'd like to keep/use

D) You get both
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

17. - Top - End - #107

Q62
    "At 1st level, 2nd level, and every four levels thereafter, a master of many styles may select a bonus style feat or the Elemental Fist feat. He does not have to meet the prerequisites of that feat, except the Elemental Fist feat. Alternatively, a master of many styles may choose a feat in that style’s feat path (such as Earth Child Topple) as one of these bonus feats if he already has the appropriate style feat (such as Earth Child Style). The master of many styles does not need to meet any other prerequisite of the feat in the style’s feat path. "

So we have choice between chosing style feat (including capstones of style chains) without prerequisites (except for Elemental Fist) OR style feat from chain (including capstones of style chains) with only prerequisite being previous part of this chain...

Am I reading it right? If yes, why would someone pick option no 2?

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Q63 If I cast a Silence spell onto an arrow and it hits, is the target allowed a will save (because the arrow in its flesh can be viewed as an attended object). If the Silence Arrow works, is the spell lifted by destroying the arrow (breaking it)?

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A62Only the first feat of a 'style chain' is a Style feat (the ones that actually have "Style" as part of the name). The rest are just 'feats'.
    'Crane Style' is a Style feat, 'Crane Wing' and 'Crane Riposte' are NOT Style Feats.

The first part of the ability:
    a master of many styles may select a bonus style feat or the Elemental Fist feat. He does not have to meet the prerequisites of that feat, except the Elemental Fist feat
    You can take a Style feat or the 'Elemental Fist' feat. You may ignore the requirements of these feats, unless one of those requirements is 'Elemental Fist', in which case you still need to take 'Elemental Fist'.
    If you have a Style feat, you can later take any feat in that Style Path, ignoring all prerequisites.
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

A62b

Yes, other feats in the chain (e.g. Dragon Ferocity) are also style feats, since they're all found in the list of style feats in the section on style feats (PFUC page 78). However, there are two restrictions here. First, most of these feats don't actually do anything by themselves; e.g. the Dragon Ferocity feat says, "While using Dragon Style..." so there's really no point in taking DF if you don't have DS (this is similar to how a fighter can easily pick the Empower Spell feat, it just doesn't do anything for him).

Second, MOMS explicitly says that taking (e.g.) Earth Child Topple requires you to already have the Earth Child Style feat, so this trick doesn't work with MOMS. It does work with certain other archetypes, notably Unarmed Fighter.

21. - Top - End - #111

Q64: I heard there is feat that boost spellcaster (not caster) level by 2, up to HD. Where can I find it?

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

A64: not a feat, but the trait Magical Knack.

23. - Top - End - #113

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    A64: not a feat, but the trait Magical Knack.
    "boost spellcaster (not caster)"
    "Pick a class when you gain this trait—your caster level in that class gains a +2 trait bonus as long as this bonus doesn't raise your caster level above your current Hit Dice."

uhh...

24. - Top - End - #114

A59 addendum: As written the Unchained Monk is not intended to be compatible with any of the old archetypes:

These classes can be used alongside their original counterparts (although individual characters must use one version or the other exclusively). Some feats, rage powers, rogue talents, and other rules might not work with the unchained classes, and such rules should be reviewed before being used with the new versions. Finally, with the exception of the monk, these classes should work with any of the archetypes from previous books as long as the classes still have the appropriate class features to replace.
    While this is a bit disappointing, note that many of the benefits of MoMS can be approximated if the Unchained Monk takes Combat Style Master.

A62b correction: No Kurald, grarrrg is right - only the first feat in a style chain is a style feat. This is why for instance Boar Style is listed as "(Combat, Style)" while the later feats Boar Shred and Boar Ferocity are only listed as "(Combat)".

A63a: This is more or less pointless because "Generally speaking, ammunition that hits its target is destroyed or rendered useless." Once an object is destroyed in this game it basically ceases to exist in rules terms, so there is nothing left for the silence spell to radiate from. If you truly want Silence Arrows you will need to be an Arcane Archer, which allows the spell to be centered on the point in space that the arrow strikes rather than the arrow itself (which again, ceases to exist once it hits its target.)

"boost spellcaster (not caster)"
    "Pick a class when you gain this trait—your caster level in that class gains a +2 trait bonus as long as this bonus doesn't raise your caster level above your current Hit Dice."

uhh...
    I have to ask what you perceive the difference to be?
    Last edited by Psyren; 2015-06-07 at 07:06 AM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

25. - Top - End - #115

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I have to ask what you perceive the difference to be?
    I'd prefer to learn higher-lvl spells.

26. - Top - End - #116

I'd prefer to learn higher-lvl spells.
    Something that increases your "spellcaster level" wouldn't do that either. Spellcasting progression is actually a class feature.

It would have to say something like this: "You gain new spells per day and spells known (if applicable) as if you had gained X levels in your spellcasting class."
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

A62b correction: No Kurald, grarrrg is right - only the first feat in a style chain is a style feat. This is why for instance Boar Style is listed as "(Combat, Style)" while the later feats Boar Shred and Boar Ferocity are only listed as "(Combat)".
    I'm rather surprised that you're telling me that this doesn't work, considering you're the one who taught me that trick:

A938: As written, only the Unarmed Fighter can "jump ahead" like this. The MoMS must have the intro style feat first before it can take any of the subsequent ones. So in your example, the Unarmed Fighter 1 could jump straight to Snake Sidewind, but the MoMS 1 would need to take Snake Style at 1st level, then wait until 2nd to take Snake Sidewind.
    What's up, did I miss some errata in the meantime?

28. - Top - End - #118

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    I'm rather surprised that you're telling me that this doesn't work, considering you're the one who taught me that trick:

What's up, did I miss some errata in the meantime?
    No, that was simply an error on my part; I once thought as you did until I read the style feats more closely.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

29. - Top - End - #119
    Orc in the Playground

Q65

Again with Sanguine Perfection from PoW. This maneuver is special because it lasts several rounds. Let's say you have +5 CHA. You used sanguine perfection, and it's been 2 rounds. Thanks to a gambit, you can recover maneuvers. Can you recover sanguine perfection even if its effect is still ongoing? Can you reuse it?

Q66

Can you recover a maneuver on the same turn you've used it?

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Q67: Are secondary classes under Variant Multiclassing limited by alignment? e.g. can I have a lawful secondary-Barbarian or a chaotic secondary-Monk?
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.