New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 264142434445464748495051525354 LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 1608
  1. - Top - End - #1501
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A by RAW for Pathfinder 4

A373: Just spend your starting wealth on something before leveling your character to the actual starting level and they end up working out the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #1502
    Pixie in the Playground

Hi, im creating character for d&d 3,5 and i want ot take finese weapon feat. Do it aply for daggers when i want to throw them ?

3. - Top - End - #1503
    Barbarian in the Playground

You may want the Simple RAW Thread for 3.5, this is a Pathfinder thread. To answer your question: Yes, but it is not necessary. Since throwing a weapon is a ranged attack, it already uses your Dexterity modifier.

4. - Top - End - #1504
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Q375

Do familiars gain feats as normal? So, a 5th level wizard's familiar would have 3 feats? The feats section on familiar page on SRD is missing(unlike with summoner's Eidolon), so im confused.

Q376

Is it possible to create items on other planes via Create Demiplane, Greater(spell) and selecting Erratic Time trait(1\round=1\day on Material Plane) much faster, than normal? Seems very cheesy and looks that im missing something.
    Last edited by Kekmaster; 2016-09-21 at 11:30 AM.

5. - Top - End - #1505
    Pixie in the Playground

Thank you and sorry for wrong theme

6. - Top - End - #1506

A375: No, because familiars don't gain HD (rather, their hit point value and effective level for calculations are derived from the master.) The familiar feats they can pick up are instead obtained by replacing their existing/default feats, similar to a level 1 archetype replacing an existing class feature.

A376: This is a 9th-level spell, by this point you are taking on deities and shaking up the cosmos. Piddling around for days on end crafting things should not be a concern, so while this is powerful (as 9th-level spells often are), I wouldn't call it "cheesy."
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

7. - Top - End - #1507
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q377

Energy Body (Su)FAQ: As a standard action, you can transform your body into pure life energy, resembling a golden-white fire elemental. In this form, you gain the elemental subtype and give off a warm, welcoming light that increases the light level within 10 feet by one step, up to normal light. Any undead creature striking you with its body or a handheld weapon deals normal damage, but at the same time the attacker takes 1d6 points of positive energy damage + 1 point per oracle level. Creatures wielding melee weapons with reach are not subject to this damage if they attack you. If you grapple or attack an undead creature using unarmed strikes or natural weapons, you may deal this damage in place of the normal damage for the attack. Once per round, if you pass through a living allied creature’s square or the ally passes through your square, it heals 1d6 hit points + 1 per oracle level. You may use this ability to heal yourself as a move action. You choose whether or not to heal a creature when it passes through your space. You may return to your normal form as a free action. You may remain in energy body form for a number of rounds per day equal to your oracle level.
    So, having in mind the quote text, the healing can ocur more than once in a round if I apply it to diferent people? or it can just occur once regardless of the number of square occupied by allies I pass?
    Last edited by Griffin; 2016-09-23 at 05:58 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1508

A377: Once per round is meant to mean once per round (not once per round per person etc.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

9. - Top - End - #1509
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 378 Does Xenoglossy allow you to listen to a single individual whose language you don't understand or do you have to initiate the conversation to be speak and be spoken to intelligibly?
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

10. - Top - End - #1510
    Bugbear in the Playground

A 378: Strictly as written, you do indeed have to be in a dialogue with the individual to understand its language (my emphasis):
    /snip/ ...you can speak with a single individual with whom... /snip/ ...length of the conversation or for... /snip/ ...continue a longer conversation, and... /snip/ ...to communicate with someone with whom you previously communicated using... /snip/ ...attempt further communication with that... /snip/
    These mentions of having a dialogue is actually what allows you to understand the individual, as the feat otherwise only spells out it allows the individual to understand you:
    You believe you are speaking your native language, and the listener believes you are speaking its native language... /snip/
    That said, the wording isn't exactly crystal clear and the RAW seems to be unnecessarily limiting and somewhat contradictory - if you can both understand and make yourself understood in a dialogue, why shouldn't you be able to simply understand when listening without speaking? (I would personally definitely allow a PC to use this feat to listen and understand only, without the need of having a conversation.)

EDIT: I suppose there's also the possibility the text simply confuses singular and plural "you", and is actually intended to say basically:

"You believe the both of you are speaking your native language, and the listener believes the both of you are speaking its native language; however, to everyone else able to hear you, you both sound like you are speaking gibberish."

Which of course would mean the ability to understand the individual, in practice, actually would be limited to having a conversation (in the gibberish language basically only the two of you can understand). /EDIT
    Last edited by upho; 2016-09-25 at 03:38 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1511
    Banned

Questions about white-haired witch.

Q379 Can i Make Grapple CM with my Hairs (natural attack)? If i can will i use my strenght or my Intelligence modifiers? Did i strike enemy with my hair natural attack? Can i grab my enemy after this and make pin CM, because enemy already was grappled?
    Q380 I can grapple enemy with my hands and make damage with equivalent to my unarmed strike, a natural attack, spikes or light weapon or one handed weapon. If i will make damage equivalent to my hairs damage (natural attack) does it mean "In addition, whenever the hair strikes a foe, the witch can attempt to grapple" ?
    Q381 If i grabbed my enemy and i dont have grappled condition on myself, does it means i can make attack of opportunity at the same time? Will my enemy stay in grapple at the same time? Can i grab more then one enemys at the same time?
    Q382. "If you successfully grapple a creature that is not adjacent to you, move that creature to an adjacent open space (if no space is available, your grapple fails)." If i have reach on my hairs. Can i after successfull grab/grapple check go from grappled enemy on my rich? Will i move grappled creature to an adjacent open space after "If you do not release the grapple, you must continue to make a check each round, as a standard action, to maintain the hold"
    Q383 Do i have Grab special attack? Can i grapple enemys as standard action with out attack of opportunity?
    Last edited by boriss283; 2016-09-26 at 11:37 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1512

A379a: Yes, you use your hair to perform the grapple. This means for instance that you don't need free hands to maintain it.
    A379b: You use Intelligence to grapple.
    A379c: You'd need a separate standard action to pin them (or a move action if you took Greater Grapple.) The free action is only for starting the grapple.

A380: No - "strikes" means you successfully attacked them (i.e. that you landed a hit), not that you successfully damaged them. Similarly, when you constrict them, you don't get a free grapple check from the damage.

A381: You can make AoOs but not with your hair, it's occupied. You only have one "hair" appendage.

A382: Yes, you must move it next to you to continue the grapple.

A383: "Similar abilities" are allowed, so yes, you will not provoke.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

13. - Top - End - #1513
    Banned

Q384 Another question about white haired witch. May be i miss something. But she realy has grab special attack? Because "In addition, whenever the hair strikes a foe, the witch can attempt to grapple that foe with her hair as a free action* without provoking an attack of opportunity, using her Intelligence modifier in place of her Strength modifier when making the combat maneuver check. When a white-haired witch grapples a foe in this way, she does not gain the grappled condition.". Using this text, looks like she does not have grab special attack (may be i miss some thing). And looks liek she can not grapple enemys with standard action with out attack of opportunity. Still, can she grapple as standard action with her hair with out any penalty.
    Q385 If her attack is still grab. If i want to grapple enemy with hair and dont take grapple condition, then i need to make grapple CM with -20 ?
    Last edited by boriss283; 2016-09-26 at 02:08 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1514

A384: That's why I quoted the part I did Grapple says the following:

"As a standard action, you can attempt to grapple a foe, hindering his combat options. If you do not have Improved Grapple, grab, or a similar ability, attempting to grapple a foe provokes an attack of opportunity from the target of your maneuver."

WHW doesn't actually have grab, but they have a "similar ability."

A385: No, you don't take any penalty - it already explicitly says you don't gain the grappled condition yourself if you use your hair.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

15. - Top - End - #1515
    Banned

Q386 " In addition, whenever the hair strikes a foe, the witch can attempt to grapple that foe with her hair as a free action* without provoking an attack of opportunity, using her Intelligence modifier in place of her Strength modifier when making the combat maneuver check. When a white-haired witch grapples a foe in this way, she does not gain the grappled condition."
    So i can grapple enemys with my hair even with standart action. I will not provoke AoO and i will not have penalties for grappling with hair. Any Cm with my hair will use int instead of str. But what about grappled condition on me? I will not gain grappled condition any way (when grapple with hairs) or only if i am using it as free action after successful strike with my hair? If i will trip or disarm my enemy with my hair is it successful strike with my hair?

16. - Top - End - #1516

A386: That part (i.e. grappling without attacking or Improved Grapple, and not provoking) isn't clear. But why would you want to? You'll want Improved Grapple anyway if that's something you plan on doing regularly.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

17. - Top - End - #1517
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    A386: That part (i.e. grappling without attacking or Improved Grapple, and not provoking) isn't clear. But why would you want to? You'll want Improved Grapple anyway if that's something you plan on doing regularly.
    Just to know all nuance.
    Q387. And i still have question. I use int instead str on all Cm that is made with my hair? Or only on free grapple cm after successful hair strike?
    Q388. If i will grapple my enemy with hair as standard action, will i gail grappled condition?
    Q389 trip my enemy with hairs counts as successful strike with them?

18. - Top - End - #1518

RangerGuy

Q390

Does the Kineticist has a caster level?

Element(s) air; Type utility (Sp); Level 3; Burn 0
    Prerequisite(s) air cushion or air's leap the air bends to your will, allowing you to soar to great heights.

You are constantly under the effects of fly. If this effect is dispelled, You can call it forth again as a standard action.
    I make this question for the 1/2 bonus of the Fly spell. Do they get it?
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

19. - Top - End - #1519

A387: As written, it happens only on the free grapple.

A388: You have three choices here:

- Grapple normally.
    - Grapple for free after attacking successfully.
    - Grapple normally, but take -20 to your check to use only your hair.

The first one will cause you to get the grappled condition, the latter two won't, but only the middle one will cause you to take no penalties at all.

A389: It does (trip is an attack) but it won't trigger the trip a second time since they're already prone.

A390: Yes, any creature with an SLA has a caster level. Note however that doesn't mean you can use that caster level for everything, but it does work with the line in Fly.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

20. - Top - End - #1520
    Orc in the Playground

Q391: Can a Magus using Spell Combat use a Swift or Free action ability between the casting of the spell and the attacks? (For example, could a Magus use Spell Combat to cast Haste, then use their Arcane Pool to give their weapon an enhancement bonus, then make all of their weapon attacks?)

Q392: Does the Foe-Biting Legendary Item Ability double damage dealt by spells channeled through the Legendary Item by means of the Magus's Spellstrike?
    Last edited by Rusvul; 2016-10-02 at 02:03 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1521
    Titan in the Playground

A391 Yes, you can use a swift or free action (or a 5' step) in the middle of a full attack.

A392 No, since spellstrike damage isn't dealt by the weapon or by a special ability of the weapon.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

22. - Top - End - #1522
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Q393

When using versatile performance as a bard to use perform in place of diplomacy, do bonuses to diplomacy count towards the perform check?

Specifically looking at a +2 racial bonus to diplomacy vs humanoids, and the archetype that gives +1/2 bard level to diplomacy.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us how you started: I started with the entire party getting teleported in from the real world butt naked.

Lokiron: "Yes, and killing hurricanes is always a good act, because they are evil."

DEGENERATION 91: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

23. - Top - End - #1523

A393: As written, you're specifically replacing one entire bonus (not merely ranks+mod) with another. If your favored class and other bonuses put Diplomacy ahead, you're better off not using versatile performance with that skill.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

24. - Top - End - #1524
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 394 How does Retraining from a Chained class to the Unchained class work? Like if I were to go from Chained Monk to Unchained Monk, would I be retraining features that don't match like an Archetype or are they synergistic to train a class level?

Q394b What if I have Archetypes as well, like Martial Artist Chained Monk to Karmic Unchained Monk? Do I need to untrain the archetype before retraining the class?
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

25. - Top - End - #1525

A394: They're completely different classes, not archetypes. At best you would get the synergy bonus (e.g. monk -> unchained monk would get the time discount like cleric -> druid) but you would still be retraining your entire class, rather than elements thereof like class features or archetypes. The good news though is that because you're uprooting the entire class, you don't have to worry about untraining your archetype or features first.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

26. - Top - End - #1526
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Q395
    If I previously cast Freedom of Movement on myself, am I immune to the effects of the Rogue Talent titled Grig Jig (Su) if a Rogue attempts to use it on me?

Freedom of Movement:
    This spell enables you or a creature you touch to move and attack normally for the duration of the spell, even under the influence of magic that usually impedes movement, such as paralysis, solid fog, slow, and web. All combat maneuver checks made to grapple the target automatically fail. The subject automatically succeeds on any combat maneuver checks and Escape Artist checks made to escape a grapple or a pin.
    The spell also allows the subject to move and attack normally while underwater, even with slashing weapons such as axes and swords or with bludgeoning weapons such as flails, hammers, and maces, provided that the weapon is wielded in the hand rather than hurled. The freedom of movement spell does not, however, grant water breathing.

Grig Jig (Su)
    Once per day the rogue can target one humanoid within 30 feet and attempt a Perform (dance) check as a full-round action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. Her target must succeed at a Will save (DC equal to the rogue's Perform [dance] check) or it begins to dance uncontrollably. So long as the rogue continues to spend a full-round action dancing each round, the affected target does so as well. If the target is attacked or otherwise in immediate danger while dancing, the effect ends. Each round on its turn, the target can attempt an Acrobatics or Perform (dance) check or a Will save (target's choice) against the rogue's Perform (dance) check to end the effect. A target who resists the jig can not be affected by the same rogue's jig for 24 hours. The grig jig is a mind-affecting effect.

27. - Top - End - #1527

A395: You're basically asking whether FoM trumps Irresistible Dance. This is unfortunately not clear and requires a GM call.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

28. - Top - End - #1528
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q396: Just to confirm, can you use Marrionette Possession on an Animated Object?
    Adaptation of Child of Acavna and Amaznen into a "Spheres Fighter"
    Thank you Ganorenas

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    An Animated Object is a kind of creature. An animated object is a kind of item. So no, you can't apply a template. Unless you were to use animate objects to animate objects into Animated Objects and somehow apply templates while using animate objects to turn animate objects into Animate Objects for your Animated animated Object collection (or perhaps for a friend to watch anime with).

29. - Top - End - #1529

MindFlayer

A396: No, the target has to be a creature, and items/constructs are immune to necromancy spells anyway.

30. - Top - End - #1530
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q397: We're at page 51, isn't this about where we retire the thread and start the next one?
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide