New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 54 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A by RAW for Pathfinder 4

Thank you both!

Q88

How long does it take to remove a pack saddle from a creature during combat? Can it be done with a single action?

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

A88: There aren't any specific rules for equipping saddles, so we would default to the standard rules for manipulating items in combat. Either action would be a Move action.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by heros271 View Post
    Q87:
    Does Fighter (Crossbowman) 3/Gunslinger (Bolt Ace) 5 who attack using readied action get 1.5 Dex to damage of crossbow choosen at Bolt Ace 5?
    A87: No - "ability score to X" has been clarified to be typed, so they won't stack. Only the highest applies, which in this case will be the Bolt Ace bonus, so adding Crossbowman Fighter does nothing.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2015-06-18 at 08:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #154

Q89:
    When wielding your chosen weapon one-handed, you can treat it as a one-handed piercing melee weapon for all feats and class abilities that require such a weapon (such as a swashbuckler's or a duelist's precise strike) and you can add your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier to that weapon's damage. The weapon must be one appropriate for your size.
    When throwing weapon like dagger, you wield it one-handed before throwing it, right? Does this feat (Slashing Grace) allow for Dex to DMG on thrown weapon?
    Spoiler: My Games:
    Show
    Wasteland - Slowly going
    Sandblasted - Slooowly going
    Dawn of Worlds - Going (?)
    Yuri meets Pathfinder - Going(?)

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Q90
    If a Tiny creature enters an enemy creature's square, who among allies in melee with said enemy does it flank with?
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

6. - Top - End - #156

A89: Unfortunately this isn't clear. Daggers are light, so this definitely won't work there - but a one-handed slashing weapon with a range increment, like the Sibat, could arguably work with Slashing Grace even when thrown.

A90: As a general rule it doesn't:

"Creatures with a reach of 0 feet can't flank an opponent."
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

7. - Top - End - #157

Q91:
    What's threat range of:
    a) 0 reach creature with reach weapon
    b) 0 reach creature with Zweihander Sentinel Warder pre-6 with reach weapon
    c) 0 reach creature with Zweihander Sentinel Warder post-6 with reach weapon

Q92:
    In any of cases in Q91 if it's 5 ft or higher, can such creature flank despite base reach of 0?

Q93:
    If 0 reach creature use reach weapon, can it attack adjacent enemies?
    Spoiler: My Games:
    Show
    Wasteland - Slowly going
    Sandblasted - Slooowly going
    Dawn of Worlds - Going (?)
    Yuri meets Pathfinder - Going(?)

8. - Top - End - #158

A91a/A92/A93: 0 doubled is unfortunately still 0.

Can't speak to the PoW questions myself.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A91a Not RAW, but in the forums James Jacobs said a Tiny Creature with Reach should have a threat range of 5ft.

Take that for what you will.
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

10. - Top - End - #160

Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    A91a Not RAW, but in the forums James Jacobs said a Tiny Creature with Reach should have a threat range of 5ft.

Take that for what you will.
    Indeed, and I even FAQed that response - but until the design team weighs in...
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

A 91b No.

A 91c As written, a Zweihander Sentinal Warder 6+ threatens adjacent enemies and may attack them with a reach weapon. It doesn't matter what their normal reach is, they can attack. I don't think that was intended for 0' reach creatures, however. I'd bring it up here with ErrantX.

A 92 In the case of 91c, yes.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

12. - Top - End - #162

Q94

Seems with the Combat Maneuver tricks there are a LOT of tricks for an Animal Companion to learn. Can one Animal Companion ever learn all the animal tricks in PF?

13. - Top - End - #163

A94: This is a full-blown optimization exercise and thus a bit too open-ended for this thread. If you want to start a separate topic we can crowdsource ways to do this.

What I can point out is that there are currently 10 combat maneuvers in PF (Bull Rush, Dirty Trick, Disarm, Drag, Grapple, Overrun, Reposition, Steal, Sunder and Trip), and that with no optimization at all druid companions know a maximum of 13 tricks (6 for Int 2 + 7 bonus for being animal companions.) So learning all of those would leave you 3 tricks left over for other things, again with no optimization. There are over 20 tricks remaining, not counting Entertain which might also be broken out into several subsidiary instances depending on reading. My gut says it should be possible, or at the very least possible to learn a couple of maneuvers and all the other tricks, except but again, we'll need the community's help to be sure.

Given the way combat maneuvers work in PF however (i.e. needing multiple feats each to achieve baseline CR competence), you are far better off focusing on one or two than you are attempting to get a companion to be mediocre at all 10.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2015-06-20 at 12:06 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 95 Is the feedback damage from a Vicious weapon per round or per attack?
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

15. - Top - End - #165

A95: It's per hit: "When a vicious weapon strikes an opponent..."

So multiple hits in a round will trigger the damage multiple times, similar to hitting more than once with a flaming weapon.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

16. - Top - End - #166

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    A94: This is a full-blown optimization exercise and thus a bit too open-ended for this thread. If you want to start a separate topic we can crowdsource ways to do this.

What I can point out is that there are currently 10 combat maneuvers in PF (Bull Rush, Dirty Trick, Disarm, Drag, Grapple, Overrun, Reposition, Steal, Sunder and Trip), and that with no optimization at all druid companions know a maximum of 13 tricks (6 for Int 2 + 7 bonus for being animal companions.) So learning all of those would leave you 3 tricks left over for other things, again with no optimization. There are over 20 tricks remaining, not counting Entertain which might also be broken out into several subsidiary instances depending on reading. My gut says it should be possible, or at the very least possible to learn a couple of maneuvers and all the other tricks, except but again, we'll need the community's help to be sure.

Given the way combat maneuvers work in PF however (i.e. needing multiple feats each to achieve baseline CR competence), you are far better off focusing on one or two than you are attempting to get a companion to be mediocre at all 10.
    Thank you Psyren, have I mentioned that you're my superhero?

Honestly your answer is more than adequate but Imma starting that thread anyway. For my purposes this wll be used for a Construct Rider Alchemist's mount but as it inherits from Animal Companion the discussion will be largely the same.

17. - Top - End - #167

Q96
    When playing a monster the RHD have no affect in character level dependant effects in PF, yes?

Q97
    Where is the text telling us we can't play monsters with Internet (uurgh. hate autocorrect so very very much) as a non ability?
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2015-06-22 at 09:52 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168

A96: RHD are HD, and thus do count towards "character level," just like they did in 3.5.

A97 clarification: "Internet?" What?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

19. - Top - End - #169

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    A96: RHD are HD, and thus do count towards "character level," just like they did in 3.5.

A97 clarification: "Internet?" What?
    Q96clarification
    Strange i was told that there was evidence somewhere that RHD and Character Level don't interact when playing a monster in PF. Any chance I could get the location of the info on this so I can fact check and ask the player involved?

Q97clarification
    Curse you autocorrect!
    '...with Int as a non ability?', is what I meant. Apologies.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A96 Link to Monster's as PC rules. Racial HD do count, kind of, but not necessarily as full HD (just read the write-up in the link).
    The Monster as PC rules are generally superseded/obsoleted by the whole "Advance Race Guide race builder-thingy", which basically encourages you to (re)build your own 'monster race' instead of using one 'as-is'. With roughly every 10 build-points being worth a 1 class level difference.
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

21. - Top - End - #171

Note that the line about those rules being superseded appears to be an invention by the PFSRD folks. Neither the ARG nor PRD say that.

The Race Builder is better if you want to build something exotic that you can still play from level 1, but if there's a specific monster you have in mind, the monsters as PCs rules in PF work fine as a quick and dirty guideline.

A97: The CRB says the following: "Each race also has ability score modifiers that are applied after you’ve generated your ability scores, as described in the previous chapter. These modifiers can raise an ability score above 18 or reduce a score below 3—although having such a low score in any of your abilities is something you should avoid, as there’s no surer route to character death than a low Constitution, and no swifter route to frustration than a PC who can’t talk since his Intelligence is lower than 3. You should seek your GM’s approval before playing a character with any ability score of less than 3."
    Last edited by Psyren; 2015-06-22 at 10:35 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q98

Is the feat Antagonize on the part used with intimidate, language dependant? it states the creature needs to understand you, but what if you are a druid in wild shape without wild speech and you roar at the opponet, will it still work?

23. - Top - End - #173

A98: Unfortunately, Antagonize isn't a regular form of intimidate - just roaring at someone isn't enough, you need to actually make them angry with you. So you'll need to be able to make yourself understood, i.e. speak the same language.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

24. - Top - End - #174
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Q99: The magic weapon special ability chart shows that the +1 ability Cruel can be added to ranged weapons, but it doesn't include the footnote specifying that the weapon passes the ability to its ammunition, as it does for other abilities like Flaming. Is this an error that has been addressed in errata? I can't find anything, but seems useless to allow it on a bow if not.
    Last edited by Raphite1; 2015-06-24 at 02:19 PM.

25. - Top - End - #175

A99: It will not pass to ammunition as written, no. However, you can add it to ammunition directly (it is on the ammunition table), as well as to thrown weapons (explaining its presence on the ranged table.) This is more expensive obviously, but will allow you to use it with a bow if you're willing to pay a premium.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Q100: If a Kitsune possesses both the Realistic Likeness feat and the Naturalized alternate racial feature, does this mean they can perfectly mimic any human they've encountered without a disguise check?
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

A 100 Appearing human and appearing to be a specific person (which Realistic Likeness allows with Kitsune Change Shape) are not one and the same, they're different uses of the Disguise skill, so no.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

28. - Top - End - #178
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q101: Does a Lycanthrope in hybrid or animal form gain the skill bonuses of the relevant animal? (IE stealth bonuses in certain terrains?)

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

A 101 Skill bonuses are not listed as something gained by either Change Shape, Polymorph (which Change Shape uses), Beast Shape II (which Polymorph uses for Animal forms), the Polymorph subschool (which both Polymorph and Beast Shape II use) or the Lycanthope template. I did double check the entries for specific lycans, like the Weretiger to see if they snuck them in the Bestiary 2, but they aren't, so no.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

30. - Top - End - #180

Goblin

Q 102 Can a huge sized creature with the EX trample ability perform a trample on a large sized (fine) swarm? Fine swarms are immune to weapon damage, and spells and effects that target a single number of creatures - and the Ex trample ability is the same as the overrun ability, except the creature does not need to make a check - therefore it doesn't seem to target "a specific creature." So i'm a bit confused about the outcome of this situation.
    Roll some dice, make some stuff up!
    Current campaign: City of Progress Campaign Journal
    This guide!

A reading of notable information in The City of Progress, here.