New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Things I May No Longer Do while Playing VIII: Why is the PLOT on fire?

Welcome, one and all to the eighth episode of this illustrious thread series on exactly how best to make your DM cry. As usual, we are always willing to lend a kind ear to your frustrations on things that have been banned, vetoed or just plain killed off at your table. Previous threads are listed below:

[Any] Things I may no longer do while playing.
    Things I May No Longer Do While Playing II: Stop Making The DM Cry
    Things I May No Longer Do While Playing III: I May Not Iron Heart Surge Rule Zero
    Things I May No Longer Do While Playing IV: The Decanter of Endless Bad Ideas
    Things I May No Longer Do While Playing V: Pun & Pun, Rules-Attorneys at Law
    Things I May No Longer Do While Playing VI: This Isn't A Checklist We Swear!
    Things I May No Longer Do While Playing VII: No, Not Even Then

Note: if you're going to use numbers, please keep the numbering in order. This means:
    1) don't add sub-rules to previous numbers--people will think that number is the current one
    2) look to make sure that the last post isn't a sub-rule to a previous number

Asterisks are highly recommended, though.
    Last edited by goto124; 2016-09-21 at 06:55 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do while Playing VIII: Why is the PLOT on fire?

*My Technomancer may not be disappointed when the currently mouse sized prince defeats the final encounter of the episode by himself because of one very good roll.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do while Playing VIII: Why is the PLOT on fire?

* just because your DM somehow manages to acquire a bunch of game books for normally unrelated d20 games does not mean that if is a smart idea to to use then all at the same time.
    ** not even if they all happen to be all different editions of d&d.
    *** not even if the goal is to use the 4e fighter to replace the 3.5 one.
    **** yeah 3.5s fighter is terrible but 4e's fighter is incompatible.
    ***** the fact that 4e fighters go up to 30 while 3.5e fighters go up to 20 should be a hint. Not to mention the fact that no one else is using the healing surges or the bloodied condition. Nor does the game system we use predominantly have daily, at will, or encounter powers.

************ alright at this point it is permissible to stage a coup to take over being the dm.
    Last edited by Almarck; 2015-05-12 at 12:07 AM.
    I possess the Addicted to Editing flaw. I have edit my posts 3 seconds after posting them for 10 minutes.

Current Projects:

Backing Dragon: the Inheritance - World of Darkness Fan game where you play a dragon
    Mutant - Be a horrible abomination of a player character. Comes in a variety of flavors.
    Proprietor - Bring a House to a Sword fight! Be the adventuring interior/exterior decorator. Use siege weapons, customize your hour.

Extended Signature

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

*Stepnophobia should not be a thing that happens in DnD.
    **Especially for 8 foot tall Goliaths that regularly do life threatening things.
    ***Should not be unconcerned about an undead Megalodon disappearing.
    ****Pants soiling is appropriate in such a situation.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    I always thought understanding Scottish required a fort save vs. Alcohol poisoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twelve.five
    Hipsterdin- Smiting Heathens before it was cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla
    See, this wouldn't happen if you were a Zweihander Sentinel Warder with Silver Crane. You'd have a 60 ft. fly speed with good maneuverability, DR and glowing pants as early as level 8.

Pink is Neutral Evil, because reasons.

Exalted Monk Avatar by ThePrez1776

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

* I may no longer take the feat 'fell drain.'
    ** I am no longer allowed to destroy the entire army occupying a city with only two people employing guerrilla warfare.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

* No longer allowed to make fake dating sim screenshots starring my character.
    ** No matter how much the other players approve.

* No longer allowed to attempt to invoke maternal guilt on another player's character.
    ** Especially since you still don't know if he's actually your son or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Currently playing as Atalanta/Artemis in Arcran's Pocket Monsters Online! (OOC|IC)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    *My Technomancer may not be disappointed when the currently mouse sized prince defeats the final encounter of the episode by himself because of one very good roll.
    ** No longer surprised when said pint-sized prince has the bard's birth mother arrested for escaping prison.
    *** Banned from the inevitable gut-punch ending when the bard's current mother is also arrested for assisting the birth mother's escape.
    **** And for brewing illegal potions to cover up the conspiracy. And taking out the guards' memories. And blackmailing the town mayor.
    ***** No longer allowed to show the life lesson that sometimes the right thing is the most depressing ending to a story.

Edit:
    Yes the plot here is about to be set on fire.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2015-05-12 at 06:56 AM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

*I am no longer allowed to go in against a Sicillian
    **No, not even when death is on the line.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

*My 1st level fighter may not confront an illiterate member of city guard by pretending they work for the duke, shouting "Hand me the scroll", taking a random cleric scroll from the cleric, pretend that it is a formal letter from the duke and force him and his squad to run away from the town to exile .
    **Even if I roll natural 20 on a Bluff.
    *** Twice in a row.

Spoiler: Explanation&ironic twist
    Show
    New GM, good rolls and crazy idea. Oh, the city guard was the only "clean" organization which was not an in the conspiracy and was supposed to be our ally...
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

* I may not play an alchemist with Profession (Businessman).
    ** May not start a surgery.
    *** May not undercut the local temple for healing spells.
    **** May not charge people a monthly fee in exchange for free healing.
    ***** May not employ clerics of the god of business.

The character I plan to run if I ever plat 3.P again
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

* May no longer claim that all computers/electronic device's keys/keyboards make sounds when pressed
    ** May no longer play Funky Town on said keyboards
    *** May no longer call myself a Funky Marine

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    *** Banned from the inevitable gut-punch ending when the bard's current mother is also arrested for assisting the birth mother's escape.
    Seriously, please don't do that. We don't need two ruined birthday episodes in a row.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #13

Seriously, please don't do that. We don't need two ruined birthday episodes in a row.
    Given who the second mother is, it would depend on how much effort the prince puts on towards the arrest. >.>
    Digo Dragon - Artist

14. - Top - End - #14

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hypername View Post
    *I am no longer allowed to go in against a Sicillian
    **No, not even when death is on the line.
    This made me chuckle.
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Given who the second mother is, it would depend on how much effort the prince puts on towards the arrest. >.>
    So the birth mother would not finger the real mother as her accomplice? She's not gonna snitch... If her memories come back?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

cool Re: Things I May No Longer Do while Playing VIII: Why is the PLOT on fire?

*I may not create a lawful evil sorceress with incredible bluff that tries to manipulate the party
    **Not even if the rest of the good-neutral aligned party acts more evil than me
    ***Not even if our samurai is about to attack a terrified wizard who could make rocks fall and everyone die, and the only way to stop him is mind control.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

cool Re: Things I May No Longer Do while Playing VIII: Why is the PLOT on fire?

*I may not create a habitual liar with an incredible bonus to bluff
    **I may not convince the Sense Motive impaired party that I'm a prince and create a long, unpronouncable name for them to say every time they speak to me
    ***I may not fail my knowledge checks then lie about information vital to the plot to the rest of the party

18. - Top - End - #18

So the birth mother would not finger the real mother as her accomplice? She's not gonna snitch... If her memories come back?
    * Not allowed to snitch on my accomplice of near 12 years.
    ** Next time a grand scheme is hatched that requires nearly two decades of execution, will not leave non-essential evidence unburned.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

* If I know my players won't read the house rules before the first session, I may not slip in 'engineering solutions require ranks in the appropriate craft skill' and 'player X cannot take mechanical engineeri'.
    ** Even if he's ruined two games before with it.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

20. - Top - End - #20

*I may not offer to fake an alibi for the bard's mother.

*I may not get smug when I outsmart God.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

*We're no longer allowed to make Cannibalism our plan B until we've made a plan A.
    * *If we have to get an NPC to make our plans for us, it can't be a hallucination.
    Last edited by Yukitsu; 2015-05-12 at 04:36 PM.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

22. - Top - End - #22

*Just because God got all bitchy when we refused to fix his palace without being paid and physically assaulted my brother is no excuse for me to shoot him in the groin.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2015-05-12 at 05:43 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

* May not point out that it takes at least decades, if not millennia, to form a tribe, if doing so ruins the GM's plot.
    ** Especially if I point out that one Caern does not make a tribe.
    *** May not insist on only referring to the new Tribe as a 'freak Ronin sept'.
    **** May not point out that the sept is a threat to the Garou Nation, and offer to put in a good word with the Children of Gaia if they want to try and join.
    ***** Cannot point out the ridiculousness of wanting to start a new tribe when the Children of Gaia would gladly except them.

My GM for this Werewolf game is going to hate me for knowing the fluff.

Show

24. - Top - End - #24

Just a joke.

* Tourist is not a character class in D&D.
    ** Your luggage doesn't have a mind of its own.
    *** Or teeth.
    **** Stop standing on the sidelines of the opening bar fight miming taking pictures.
    Last edited by TurboGhast; 2015-05-14 at 08:23 AM.
    Link to true signature
    Feel free to sig anything I post, just do so in quote format.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGhast View Post
    * Tourist is not a character class in D&D.
    ** Your luggage doesn't have a mind of its own.
    *** Or teeth.
    **** Stop standing on the sidelines of the opening bar fight miming taking pictures.
    Very nice Sir Pterry reference, 10 points

Also, yay, my thread title suggestion was used. I'm absurdly pleased by that.

* I am no longer allowed to creep my players out so badly that they recoil in horror from the unexpected discovery of a small pink teddy bear.
    ** If one of my players is making nervous jokes about burning his daughters' toys, I might want to tone it down a little.
    *** No, the room with 'Don't Blink' scrawled in blood over and over and over and over all over the walls doesn't count as 'toning it down'.
    **** If you don't want your plots dying in a fire, don't creep your players out so badly that the extremely heavily-armed PCs want to essentially nuke the site from orbit by running for the surface and turning the entire underground complex into an inferno behind them.
    ***** Congratulations, you have now had five battle-hardened, combat-ready Shadowrunners traumatized for life by a bunch of animate children's toys.
    ****** This isn't even a horror game, if you keep this up, we're going to get someone else to GM a Call of Cthulhu game so we can relax a little.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post

* I am no longer allowed to creep my players out so badly that they recoil in horror from the unexpected discovery of a small pink teddy bear.
    ** If one of my players is making nervous jokes about burning his daughters' toys, I might want to tone it down a little.
    *** No, the room with 'Don't Blink' scrawled in blood over and over and over and over all over the walls doesn't count as 'toning it down'.
    **** If you don't want your plots dying in a fire, don't creep your players out so badly that the extremely heavily-armed PCs want to essentially nuke the site from orbit by running for the surface and turning the entire underground complex into an inferno behind them.
    ***** Congratulations, you have now had five battle-hardened, combat-ready Shadowrunners traumatized for life by a bunch of animate children's toys.
    ****** This isn't even a horror game, if you keep this up, we're going to get someone else to GM a Call of Cthulhu game so we can relax a little.
    Wut? More please.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post

For the love of god pls give tips
    Its not about having good grades It's about passing the semester

Currently Playing

Sorin Dalmark
    Nicholas (Nick if he likes you) Lorchester
    Jeqem Ashthorn

28. - Top - End - #28

Wut? More please.
    It's a bit of a long story... longer than I have time for right now. I will, however, endeavour to get it onto these boards in the next few days one way or another.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

* May not use a combination of Plane Shift, Spelljamming, and the Create Portal feat to actually set the DM's plot on fire.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    * May not use a combination of Plane Shift, Spelljamming, and the Create Portal feat to actually set the DM's plot on fire.
    ** Cannot do so by taking a lighter to the DM's notes either.

Show