New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do while Playing VIII: Why is the PLOT on fire?

*****Not allowed to attempt to charge the players for access to said patches.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do while Playing VIII: Why is the PLOT on fire?

****** May not release a new patch a week later with the sole purpose of fixing all the bugs the old patch introduced.
    ******* The new patch will, of course, be hastily put together and bug ridden.

* Gilgamesh is not a valid superhero concept.
    ** Especially Fate/Prototype Gilgamesh.
    *** May not catch villains by stripping naked. Even with maximum ranks in attractive.
    **** The police would prefer it if I didn't kill worthless criminals.

I'm ready for a mutants and masterminds game.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*When asked for either a) tips on how to roleplay a bard, or b) what my character concept for my current bard is, I may not simply pull up "You're Gonna Go Far, Kid" (NSFW, language) and call it a day.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    *Not allowed to talk a random encounter into servitude.
    (Not my character)
    ** May not intimidate a Mimic into being a pet.
    *** May not have it replace my severed hand.
    **** May not have it pretend to be my backpack.
    ***** Feeding it pieces of broken adamantine armor does not help.

In a recently started game after finding a floor of magic item creation

Players
    * I may sacrifice sand to the floor.
    ** I may sacrifice more sand the floor.
    *** I may sacrifice a brick to the floor.
    **** I may sacrifice random junk to the floor.

? Ninja
    * I may not roll around on the floor.
    ** The sand on your clothing may not be turned into Monks Robes by the floor.

Goblin Druid (Me)
    * I may not cut off my finger with the unlosable plot device ring on it and sacrifice it to the floor.
    ** Especially if I wave my stump around to get better blood coverage.
    *** The floor may not create a Rod of Thunder and Lightning and grow my finger back.
    **** This will drain the power from every other section of the magic floor that is still active.
    ***** I will not complain when the NPCs become hostile.
    ****** It is my fault the ceiling and walls are getting closer.

Dhampir Fighter
    * I may cover a large area of the floor with sand and get a double size haversack with regenerating supllies.
    ** I may not sacrifice several objects and somehow get 3 pairs of Gloves of Storing.

* I May loot a brick off one of the hostile NPCs from the magic floor room.
    ** I May determine the brick is hollow by its weight.
    *** I May not find one of the master rings that can remove and track the unlosable plot device rings inside.
    **** I May not remove several peoples rings and put five on one hand and put the rest on a string to make a bracelet for that hand.
    ***** Just because the rings make the finger they are on grow back does not mean you should cut your hand off to see if the bracelet does that for you whole hand.
    ****** The hand is a separate creature now and may be hostile.
    ******* Not to figure out I can command my severed hand monster and have it reattach to my arm.

DM
    * May not roll random items again.
    ** Especially if I use that table for Lv.1 PCs.
    *** Must select or create all magic loot myself in the future.
    Last edited by arclance; 2015-05-20 at 03:21 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*May not ban crossbows in 5e just because I'm sick of people whining about not being able to dual-wield crossbows or not being able to fire them as rapidly as a longbow or shortbow.

**May not suggest that weapon use have any basis in plausibility and/or real life on an internet forum.

***There is thread upon thread of people complaining about that but NOBODY IS BOTHERED BY THE FACT THAT YOU CAN'T STAB SOMEONE WITH THE SPEARPOINT ON A HALBERD OR STAB WITH A MEDIÆVAL HAND-AND-A-HALF SWORD
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2015-05-20 at 07:55 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

**** or the fact that swords cannot cause bludgeoning damage by using pommel strikes.
    I possess the Addicted to Editing flaw. I have edit my posts 3 seconds after posting them for 10 minutes.

Current Projects:

Backing Dragon: the Inheritance - World of Darkness Fan game where you play a dragon
    Mutant - Be a horrible abomination of a player character. Comes in a variety of flavors.
    Proprietor - Bring a House to a Sword fight! Be the adventuring interior/exterior decorator. Use siege weapons, customize your hour.

Extended Signature

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

***** May not implement sunder rules for using bludgeoning strikes with swords.
    ****** Not that kind of sword.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Almarck View Post
    **** or the fact that swords cannot cause bludgeoning damage by using pommel strikes.
    *****Fencing manuals--plural--of the day referred to the pommel strike as the murder-blow, after page upon page of how to stab, slash, or disembowel someone, so that should say something about the effectiveness of the technique.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JAL_1138 View Post
    *****Fencing manuals--plural--of the day referred to the pommel strike as the murder-blow, after page upon page of how to stab, slash, or disembowel someone, so that should say something about the effectiveness of the technique.
    * When someone tries to bring realism into the game, I should decide if it makes the game more or less balanced.
    ** May not replace the wizard's spells with card tricks.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    * When someone tries to bring realism into the game, I should decide if it makes the game more or less balanced.
    ** May not replace the wizard's spells with card tricks.
    ***May not use sleight of hand and flash paper as a bard to convince people I'm a wizard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    ***May not use sleight of hand and flash paper as a bard to convince people I'm a wizard.
    ****Why not? You're a bard! Bluffing and fake identities are what you do!

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

* May not bitch about the ugly white space at the top and bottom of my character sheet.
    ** I mean seriously, they manage to make good use of the width.
    *** What do you mean 'not designed for A4'! It's the standard paper size!
    **** International paper size!

* May not give my character's dimensions in Cubits, Hands, Fingers, Kilometers, Light Years, or loaves of bread.

Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

****Why not? You're a bard! Bluffing and fake identities are what you do!
    Edit: ***May not make a more convincing wizard than the actual party wizard with only flash paper and sleight of hand as a bard.

Better?
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Colossus in the Playground

*When using Bardic Music to calm down and boost the mood and confidence of my allies, I may not sing out loud IRL.
    **Also, my bardsong is not allowed to be the theme from Fraggle Rock.
    ***Not even if it works in real life.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #105

BardGuy

Edit: ***May not make a more convincing wizard than the actual party wizard with only flash paper and sleight of hand as a bard.

Better?
    Raistlin Majere totally did the whole Sleight of Hand/Flash Paper thing before it was cool. Does that make him a hipster?

Last edited by illyahr; 2015-05-21 at 12:06 PM.
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Better?
    No, that's completely viable. You're a bard, you can take a hit and are pretty decent in a stand-up fight compared to the squishy wizard. So you pretend to be the wizard--wearing armor under your robes--and the wizard dresses up like a random schmuck with a weapon (or even as a commoner). Maybe even going so far as to keep a shield slung across their back, depending on edition, since that gave better AC against getting attacked from behind in 2e and arguably didn't count as armor (although I may be misremembering how or if it impacted spell failure chance).

Then, when the enemies are trying to mob you instead of the real wizard, or when the nobles or merchants or whatever are distracted by your wizard impersonation, the wizard (who looks like some random schmuck) casts a spell and catches them completely off guard.

EDIT: Also, yup. Worked for Raistlin, although he was an actual wizard pretending to be a better wizard.
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2015-05-21 at 12:14 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107

SwashbucklerGuy

* May not give my character's dimensions in Cubits, Hands, Fingers, Kilometers, Light Years, or loaves of bread.
    ** Beard-Seconds is right out
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ksheep View Post
    ** Beard-Seconds is right out
    ***That goes double for Smoots.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

* I cannot use Dominate Monster to get a date.

* If a player wants to play an elf, I should mention what they look like before the game begins.
    ** When the player gets confused at my description is not the best time to show them a picture of a Chinese woman.
    *** I can no longer have Asian elves, they must be super white.

Show

20. - Top - End - #110
    Spamalot in the Playground

* I cannot use Dominate Monster to get a date.
    What about raisins?
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

* If a player wants to play an elf, I should mention what they look like before the game begins.
    ** When the player gets confused at my description is not the best time to show them a picture of a Chinese woman.
    *** I can no longer have Asian elves, they must be super white.
    ****...not gonna call the player a racist, but...that's kinda racist?

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

****...not gonna call the player a racist, but...that's kinda racist?
    Hasn't actually happened, although something similar happened with druids. I haven't had a chance to run a game since I came up with that setting, but in the group I'd likely play it in I'm the only one who has ever played a non white character, so I totally expect it if I force them to play a character that doesn't look like what they want.

There will probably be accusations of me having a thing for Asians. It's actually true, but that's not the reason I'm doing it.

The setting is also a backlash against every race in D&D being presented as white, so my humans have a middle eastern look and culture, the elves are very Chinese, and I'm still working out where to put the others, although I'll probably end up with Russian dwarves.

Show

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Russian dwarves.
    In Mountainhome, ore mines you. I approve of this so hard.

As DM
    *Not to send a low level party into a dungeon to retrieve magical rings, they're just going to keep them.
    **Not to fill the dungeon full of cursed rings outside of the requested rings just to spite them.
    *When the party is captured by elves and taken to their treetop village, not to be surprised when they still try to break free.
    **Putting them into hanging jail cells that one must not jostle too much or risk falling to their doom, while hilarious for me, will earn me my players' ire.
    ***Not to be surprised by the inevitable jailbreak despite the odds stacked against the party.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Hasn't actually happened, although something similar happened with druids. I haven't had a chance to run a game since I came up with that setting, but in the group I'd likely play it in I'm the only one who has ever played a non white character, so I totally expect it if I force them to play a character that doesn't look like what they want.

There will probably be accusations of me having a thing for Asians. It's actually true, but that's not the reason I'm doing it.

The setting is also a backlash against every race in D&D being presented as white, so my humans have a middle eastern look and culture, the elves are very Chinese, and I'm still working out where to put the others, although I'll probably end up with Russian dwarves.
    In one of my settings, all naturally-occurring humanoids (and natually occurring monstrous humanoids, at least where they aren't furred) are Ambiguously Brown, with slightly almond-shaped eyes and dark hair. If you saw one of the setting's humans on Earth, they could be practically any race with no real way to tell but asking outright. Species difference between the Big Five is mostly in height, build, ear shape, proportions, etc.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    What about raisins?
    Are you talking about using dominate monster to obtain raisins or using raisins to obtain a date?
    Most people see a half orc and and think barbarian warrior. Me on the other hand? I think secondary trap handler and magic item tester. Also I'm not allowed to trick the next level one wizard into starting a fist fight with a house cat no matter how annoying he is.
    Yes I know it's sarcasm. It's a joke. Pale green is for snarking
    Thread wins: 2

26. - Top - End - #116

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ryu View Post
    Are you talking about using dominate monster to obtain raisins or using raisins to obtain a date?
    I believe he was making a pun, reading date as "date palm", specifically the fruit of the date palm, which looks kinda like an oversized raisin.
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ryu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksheep View Post
    I believe he was making a pun, reading date as "date palm", specifically the fruit of the date palm, which looks kinda like an oversized raisin.
    I meant the pun that Ksheep mentions above, but the thought of using raisins as some odd pickup line to get a date sounds like a weird challenge one of my past players would attempt.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I meant the pun that Ksheep mentions above, but the thought of using raisins as some odd pickup line to get a date sounds like a weird challenge one of my past players would attempt.
    That was an attempt at a scene at a theatre summer school I attended. Didn't make it into the final performance though.

Show

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*May not base PC stats on the results of a six-shot group at 15 yards at the shooting range.
    **Especially if some of them apparently flunked out of the Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy and one of them could shoot the wings off a fly at twenty paces.
    ***Must refrain from using excessive southernisms.

*May not play the a-guard-has-spotted-you "!" sound effect from Metal Gear Solid when someone fails a stealth check.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Colossus in the Playground

*There is not a system in existance with grappling rules capable of letting me recreate the Kinniku buster*

*Or Muscle Buster, for those of you who are only familiar with Kinnikuman through Ultimate Muscle, the only good 4kids dub**.
    **It was Kinnikuman Nisei in the original japanese
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks