New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Custom Erfworld Icons and Wallpaper

Some more Illustrator CS3 fun. I'm making a Mac OS X icon set...

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Woohoo! I finally finished redoing my originals...sort of. I replaced Parson's exasperated pace from page 33 with his subversive face from the same page because I like it better. I wasn't exactly deluged with requests for a better version of the other one anyway. <shrug> See the first post if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by msgZ28 View Post
    Can we get some more icons/avatars or wallpapers of Wanda? I was thinking page 47 panel 4, page 44 panel 2, page 41 panel 2, page 36 panel 8, or page 17 panel 3 or 5. Any of those would be good. Thanks.
    I need to take a short break from avatarizing after all that I've just done. Fortunately, sleeping Wanda was easy to crop to size so I went ahead and did that one for you.

Last edited by Scientivore; 2007-06-30 at 10:43 PM.
    My avatar is a remix that I made of Prince Ansom. Resource credit:
    Spoiler
    Show

Snag some Erfworld avatars and backgrounds, make some lolerfs and motivators (or demotivators), read my Erfworld fanmix, or check out my latest spotlight on an under-discussed webcomic: Head Trip (Scilight #13)!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

My thanks. And much appreciated.
    360lb RTS/wargamer. Fantasy world of his own construction. Perfect Warlord summoning. One day...

4. - Top - End - #64
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by msgZ28 View Post
    Can we get some more icons/avatars or wallpapers of Wanda? I was thinking page 47 panel 4, page 44 panel 2, page 41 panel 2, page 36 panel 8, or page 17 panel 3 or 5. Any of those would be good. Thanks.
    I'll see what I can do (I see that Scientivore got one of them). Most of them look to be a bit tricky because of the frame cropping and text boxes.

Also, added Parson with "Your Brand Here" can to my gallery. (He's facing left, but his eyes are to the right, as if looking over his shoulder waiting for the Tool to come bursting in. Flipping it wouldn't work; trying to re-flip just the can text is well beyond my skill level. Fortunately, the "Your Brand Here" text came out readable, though you have to look carefully -- which actually enhances the joke a bit IMO.)

Edit: Added "Wanda/Jillian Dwagon Ride" to my gallery. (I'll probably want to tweak it a bit more; when the original image is barely larger than the final icon it takes a bit of clone-brush finesse to reduce the JPEG artifacts without fuzzing up the lines of the art.)
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-05-23 at 02:17 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

I really liked the stealth dwagons in the trees, so I made an icon out of the one I liked the best. Had to get rid of a sound effect, but hopefully the area I greened over isn't too obvious...

Not a robot

6. - Top - End - #66
    Pixie in the Playground

Robot- could you cut out the icons and post them as avatars? They look awesome!
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    My Erfworld avatar gallery can be found here.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

here is an avatar of page 36 panel 8

png (100X95) (117X111) GIF (100X95) (117X111)
    Last edited by fire_bird14; 2007-05-23 at 08:07 AM.

8. - Top - End - #68

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    Also, added Parson with "Your Brand Here" can to my gallery. (He's facing left, but his eyes are to the right, as if looking over his shoulder waiting for the Tool to come bursting in. Flipping it wouldn't work; trying to re-flip just the can text is well beyond my skill level. Fortunately, the "Your Brand Here" text came out readable, though you have to look carefully -- which actually enhances the joke a bit IMO.)
    Yeah, I'm not flipping them as much myself. When I redid the red dwagon one I left it alone this time just because otherwise it would put the Arkenhammer in his left hand and he's been consistently right-handed. I've become more sensitive to that kind of thing.
    Spoiler
    Show

Snag some Erfworld avatars and backgrounds, make some lolerfs and motivators (or demotivators), read my Erfworld fanmix, or check out my latest spotlight on an under-discussed webcomic: Head Trip (Scilight #13)!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DemonicPenguin View Post
    Robot- could you cut out the icons and post them as avatars? They look awesome!
    Thanks! And that shouldn't be a problem. Though, I'm going to wait to do it until I have a dozen or so done. Right now, I just cobble them together when I have free time at work.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Pixie in the Playground

smile My Avatar Gallery

My Avatar Gallery (all are 117 X 117)

Spoiler
    Show

Updates (newest are at the bottom)
    active projects
    completed projects

I made another avatar, this one is from the war scenes in one comic. I combined two panels from the most recent comic to make it.

Made some new avatars from various comics, including redone versions of my first attempts. The titan one I rotated and changed the lighting level, as it was too dark to see easily, and at an angle it just looked a bit awkward for an avatar. I didn't make the parson one transparent on the background because with indistinct pencil lines, it would be a lot of extra work. I'll try it if anyone wants me to though. Thanks Scientivore!

Fire Bird- I made my own version of the avatar you made, but with 117X117, in case you want to use a square one. If not, it was still fun to make.

I was inspired by the transparent Parson and made two of mine transparent, and then removed them because I accidentally removed various bits and pieces of them. I'm not going to try those specific ones again unless someone requests it.

I corrected some spelling, and flipped a few avatars. Now they all face the posts. Also I made the corner of the Wanda one transparent, as the blue sky looked strange against Wanda's head.

Msg- I just realized that I accidentally started working on your request by adding some Wanda avatars, and I'm bored right now, so I'm going to add some more. Added some more Wanda avatars, and plot! from page 17. The plot one has transparent bars at top and bottom, so it is the same dimensions, even though it looks rectangular.

I flipped the newest additions to make the facing the post thing work for all of them.

I added a Jillian avatar from pg 50, I saw it and thought it looked cool.

I found about 5 new avatars I plan to make from pg 56. Uploaded all 5.
    Last edited by DemonicPenguin; 2007-06-20 at 06:25 PM. Reason: updated gallery
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey thanks guys, I appreciate it. Now I just need to change my avatar. The crossed cannons just don't really mesh with this site.
    2000 Z/28 M6 417rwhp/377rwtq
    Sgt, USMC Marine Security Guard Detachment Sana'a
    Hi Haley. Look, I found all these free swords. They were in my spleen.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Robot View Post
    Had some fun in Illustrator today, and vectorized a Dwagon. I used it in a wallpaper and made a custom Mac OS X icon with it.
    Could you post the actual file, without the icons and bar?

13. - Top - End - #73

Quote Originally Posted by DemonicPenguin View Post
    I didn't make the parson one transparent on the background because with indistinct pencil lines, it would be a lot of extra work. I'll try it if anyone wants me to though.
    It wasn't easy but I think that I did an alright job on that. The one in the spoiler tag is just the same thing on a non-white background so that you can get a better idea of what it would look like as an avatar.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Scientivore; 2007-05-26 at 01:16 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74

I added a version of the Arkenhammer CRACK-THOOOM! icon to my gallery.

I'm also reorganizing my Photobucket albums to make it a bit easier to find things (another reason to host your own copy instead of just linking to the original).

Edit: Also added "Ansom crumbling the unit report".
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-06-08 at 05:38 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75

In another outburst of random noodling in between preparations for helping to run Conterpoint in two weeks and getting married at the end of it, I worked up my own version of Rob's animated icon with the dialog from 30/9 in 100x100 and 117x117.

I've added it to my gallery, and moved some of the contents into the "Older Icons" spoiler tag to reduce the amount of page real estate it takes up.

(I didn't find the font Rob used in my collection, but it turned out that the "when life gives you crap" blowup had all but one and three-quarters of the characters needed (counting "M" as one-quarter because it turned out to be an upside-down "W", "P" as one-half because the "B" could be edited a bit, and leaving only "A" as one that had to be drawn from scratch.)

Edit: As noted elsewhere, the font is Gorilla Milkshake from Blambot.

Edit: I've also organized the Photobucket galleries into 100-pixel and 117-pixel folders; that makes it easier to display them as galleries by having one copy of each image in each gallery.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-09-09 at 01:19 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76

Here's a new one that I'm putting up for adoption has been adopted. It's on the conceptual side. I'm not exactly sure where it came from...all that time contemplating the dwagon wheel, I guess. Once I had the inspiration, it insisted on being made.

It's also in my gallery along with a smaller 100x100 version for other forums.
    Last edited by Scientivore; 2007-07-04 at 11:52 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Custom Erfworld Icons

Hmmm, this is my first post, and I'm just dropping in to say I like the icons/avatars everyone's coming up with (and the wallpapers). I'm going to see if I can get one set up for myself, but since I usually just read the forums and not post, I've never set one up before :P.

18. - Top - End - #78

I finally got around to adding some important links at the top of the first post. There's a thread in Arts and Crafts where you can request an Erfworld style avatar, drawn just for you. There's also an Avatar Adoption Center for homeless avatars (mostly OotS style).
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79

Added a few more to my gallery (the latest ones: Jillian slumping on her gwiffon (looking, as Scientivore (IIRC) put it, like "a bored biker chick") from page 56 and Ansom's dismayed "How can it be empty?" face from page 61.

20. - Top - End - #80

A few more gallery additions including Jillian and the gwiffons on the hunt (I clipped out the Archons because that makes the image not only narrow, but just too booping small when reduced to avatar size, and also because I gave them their own avi ).

I'll probably do a few more from the latest blowups batch (and redo a few of the older ones -- I'm not sure if working from the larger base images make a noticeable difference at avatar size, but it might). I'll be at Confluence this weekend, so I might not get around to it until next week.

Edit: Working from the blowups does seem to make enough difference to be worth re-doing the relevant icons. (Paint Shop Pro has a tool for reducing JPEG artifacts, which I use on the images from the comic pages before reducing, but it can only do so much.) So far, I've redone the Wanda/Jillian dwagon ride and Misty.

I've also added a few more Wanda avis (greeting the Tool for a (very) good morning, casting the summoning spell, reacting to her "surprise treat").
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-07-25 at 01:51 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81

I'm thinking of redoing the interface of my gallery so that the 100-pixel images are displayed in a block, and each one is a clickable link to a 117-pixel version. The advantage is that it lets everything display easily on one screen; the disadvantage is that the interface is less intuitive.

Example (using the remix avi I just worked up):

Thoughts?

(Edit: Redid the gallery interface. Also added a few more new items to my gallery.)
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-08-18 at 01:08 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82

I've added a batch of new icons to my gallery, including a new section of text-remix icons.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, three avatars I just HAD to make after seeing today's comic

Snap

Shwoop

Ayyyyy
    Awesome Avatar by Shattersnap.

Spoiler
    Show

Many thanks to El Goonish Shive for the banner image.

Give a player a fish, and he’ll probably try to sell it to an NPC fisherman.

Teach a player to fish, and next week he’ll show up with the book, “The Complete Adventuring Fisherman”. He’ll start hunting for some monstrous leviathan to catch and enslave, and he’ll be dual-wielding two fishing poles.

24. - Top - End - #84

Quote Originally Posted by Enlong View Post
    Okay, three avatars I just HAD to make after seeing today's comic
    Nice. I did a somewhat different (wider view, sky lightened a bit to enhance the contrast) version of the "Snap" one and added it to my gallery (page 1 of this thread).

EDIT: Also added icons of Bogroll staring and the deranged mancer from Page 75 (Erf 81).
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-10-06 at 12:20 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85

I've done a 1050x1680 widescreen desktop wallpaper of Webinar and Dora receiving their orders from page 10. It was mostly a straight adaptation of Rob's blowup posting; I added a bit of extra sky and soft-brushed in a few clouds to get the proportions to work and included a credit line.

If there's interest, I could tweak it a bit more to work on standard-proportion monitors when I have time (i.e. after Philcon).
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-11-20 at 09:25 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    I've done a 1050x1680 widescreen desktop wallpaper of Webinar and Dora receiving their orders from page 10. It was mostly a straight adaptation of Rob's blowup posting; I added a bit of extra sky and soft-brushed in a few clouds to get the proportions to work and included a credit line.

If there's interest, I could tweak it a bit more to work on standard-proportion monitors when I have time (i.e. after Philcon).
    That's booping awesomeness with awesomesauce. I hadn't realized that the tchotchkies had that much detail. Very nice job!

27. - Top - End - #87

Quote Originally Posted by Occasional Sage View Post
    That's booping awesomeness with awesomesauce. I hadn't realized that the tchotchkies had that much detail. Very nice job!
    Well, Jamie did a very nice job; I can only take credit for the extension of the sky at the top to make the image ratio work.

28. - Top - End - #88

I tweaked the widescreen Cloth Golems Lineup wallpaper a bit (the most noticeable difference is putting the credit line in the Herculaneum title font). Doing a version that'll work for standard aspect ratio screens will have to wait until after Thanksgiving; it'll require extending the sky a bit more (which means some trial and error to add a few more clouds that don't look like crap next to Jamie's art).

I have twin vertical monitors at the office, so I did another one using the blowup of the Jillian panel from the sonnet page, that being a visually interesting one that was 1)vertically oriented and 2)prudent to put up as desktop wallpaper at work (unlike the other one added to the gallery, below ).

Edit: The Herculaneum font seems to be inherently less obtrusive than the basic Arial I used before; I had to bump up the opacity of the text layer to get the right balance of inobtrusiveness and readability.

Edit: Did a bit more tweaking to both to fiddle with the credit line. I also renamed the first one to have a consistent (width)x(height) in the filename; note that this breaks the link in the quote in Occasional Sage's post, but the one in my original post has been updated to work properly.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-12-02 at 02:19 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89

I'm creating this post as a wallpaper gallery, to be edited when I add another wallpaper (similar to the icon gallery back on the first page).

Given the range of different monitor resolutions out there, I decided to just go with the largest reasonably common one, on the theory that reducing it as needed would be fairly simple and would preserve the image quality. Mostly, they're straightforward croppings and scalings of the blowup images, except that I added some sky to the top of the Cloth Golem Lineup to make the aspect ratio work without having to crop either end of the main image. Each image has a credit line added as unobtrusively as I could manage while keeping it clear and legible.

Anyhoo...
    My Erfworld wallpaper gallery:

Cloth Golem Lineup:
    1680x1050 (widescreen)
    1600x1200

Ansom And Advisors At Table:
    1600x1200 (Ansom's end of table)
    1600x1200 (other end of table)

Jillian At Campfire:
    1200x1600 (vertical layout)

Wanda In Interrogation Outfit:
    1200x1600 (vertical layout)
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2008-01-27 at 01:24 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90

I've been doing some more image-hacking to convert the Hoffa-Livingston message hat gag into an animated GIF that 1)works out of its original context (I added the paper sticking out of the sending hat at the beginning of the sequence) and 2)comes in at a reasonable file size (I was pleasantly surprised to be able to get it under 30K, even after adding all the transition frames).

EDIT: Tweaked it a bit more and got it under 25K for the 100x100 pixel version.

The main thing I'm dithering over is the timing; comments appreciated. Copy of the 100 pixel version attached below (and also in my gallery on the first page of this thread):

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2008-01-10 at 07:02 PM.