New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Default Re: Custom Erfworld Icons and Wallpaper

I added another text-remix icon to my icon gallery post. Getting the text to come out clear at icon size was especially tricky for this one (I had to fiddle quite a bit with the layer sandwich I use).

The general technique I use is a stack of four transparent raster layers, containing:

1. The text, merged onto the transparent raster layer after composing it, tweaking the kerning, etc. Sometimes, it takes a bit of bitmap tweaking for things like keeping the center bar of the "e" from blurring into the top and bottom.

2. A copy of (1), slightly Gaussian-blurred (0.5-1 pixel radius) to create a smoother edge.

3. An outline. This is created by making a copy of (1), filling it with a good contrast color (usually black for light text or white for dark text), Gaussian-blurring it over a bigger radius (1.5-2 pixels) than used in step (2), and then floodfilling the result (using "Select All Opaque" at about 25% opacity).

4. A "cloud" background. This is created by making a copy of (3) and Gaussian-blurring it over a moderately large radius (2-4 pixels).

Layer 1 is 100% opaque; layers 2-4 are typically 40% to 70% (try different values and see what the result looks like).

I generally use Paint Shop Pro, but there are corresponding tools in the GIMP and IIRC in Paint.NET and Photoshop.

Anyhoo, the final result (100x100 icon; clickable thumbnail leading to 117x117 version). Probably a bit on the salacious side to use on this site, though....

Last edited by SteveMB; 2008-05-18 at 12:03 PM.

2. - Top - End - #92

I've been experimenting with transparent-background avatars; I've gotten some of them to work fairly well. The catch is that the file size is typically about twice the size of standard graphics (about 10K vs about 5K for 100x100 images) because of the need to preserve the alpha channel (gradiated opacity) in order to have a smooth edge.

Latest example (100x100 image, clickable link to 117x117 version):

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

So how bold crazy are the Erfatar creators? I have less than zero skill with computer art, but would really like an Erf-style avatar of Hurin's stand at the end of the Nirnaith Arnoediad:

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Huor, Húrin and the remaining Men of Dor-lómin formed the rearguard, desperately fighting and only gradually conceding ground, thus buying time for Turgon to escape with his surviving forces and as many Elves of Fingon's former Army as could safely be gathered. Retreating behind the Fens of Serech, the Men of Dor-lómin positioned themselves with the Fen of Serech to their front, forming a natural defence, and with their backs to the Stream of Rivil, intending to fight there to the death. The Silmarillion says that "...of all the deeds of war that the fathers of Men wrought on behalf on the Eldar, the last stand of the Men of Dor-lómin was most renowned."

The Men of Dor-lómin indeed fought to the death. Late in the afternoon, Huor was killed, shot through the eye with a poisoned arrow, and all the others were killed; the Orcs chopped the heads off the bodies and piled them "as a mound of gold in the sunset". Finally, Húrin was the only one left, and during this very last phase of the battle he killed no fewer than seventy of Morgoth's soldiers. But Morgoth gave orders that Húrin was to be taken alive, and the corpses of Orcs eventually became so numerous that at the end he fell trapped beneath a pile of them. The battle thus ending, Gothmog bound him and dragged him to Angband.
    I would assume that this is a huge task, and perhaps better suited to a desktop? I'd sing praises to everybody who will listen to tales of your glory for this. Especially if your name is Jamie!
    Avatar by the incomparable araveugnitsuga!

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Occasional Sage View Post
    So how bold crazy are the Erfatar creators? I have less than zero skill with computer art, but would really like an Erf-style avatar of Hurin's stand at the end of the Nirnaith Arnoediad:

I would assume that this is a huge task, and perhaps better suited to a desktop? I'd sing praises to everybody who will listen to tales of your glory for this. Especially if your name is Jamie!
    I think this is more of an Arts and Crafts request than anything else. There did used to be an Erfworld-style avatar request thread, which has sadly died. I don't know if there are many people who draw in Erf-style now though (other than me (and Jamie. Duh), and I don't have time for such a request at the moment), maybe contact Rutskarn?
    Last edited by Dr. Bath; 2009-04-15 at 02:07 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95

There's an impressive collection of icons by Thunder God on this thread.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    There's an impressive collection of icons by Thunder God on this thread.
    I saw that! It's what inspired me; if everybody else gets a cool Erfatar, I want one too!
    Avatar by the incomparable araveugnitsuga!