New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Floraverse

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Floraverse

So, like, a week ago, I found this hot new webcomic named Floraverse--well, its not that new, I guess, its been around two years, but its new to me! And it seems very neat, lots of the ole' world building, cool character designs, great facial expressions, a pretty diddly darn intriguing story, y'know.

Unfortunately, I know like zero peeps who read this comic, so like, might as well see who else is into it, knowwhatI'msayin'?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Floraverse

I have just read this up to chapter three and I have no idea what in the Netherhells I read there.

Spoiler: prologue, seeds one and two
    Show
    First some guys try to open an Gateway between the universes to finally have someone to talk to. Then something wipes them out because they are not ready to know what man was not meant to know and says something about a next time.

Next we follow a bird and a shapeshifting water-bunny on their mission to collect seeds and get them somewhere.
    After they miss the Dragons that were supposed to throw them into a whirlpool the bunny turns into a boat and they seek for a portal-thingy.
    Later the bunny seems to drain an rather unfriendly native lizard-creature of water to clean their seeds of saltwater .

And it looks like it keeps getting weirder. I will keep reading for a bit, maybe it will start making sense.
    Despite the confusion very fun.

Aunt Edith says: Finished the Comic so far. Still no idea what is going on and now I am absolutly confused. I have a few theories but if I try to formulate them out I'm even more confused. This is something I will keep reading. The confusion can only get better after all.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2015-05-13 at 06:10 PM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    I have just read this up to chapter three and I have no idea what in the Netherhells I read there.

Spoiler: prologue, seeds one and two
    Show
    First some guys try to open an Gateway between the universes to finally have someone to talk to. Then something wipes them out because they are not ready to know what man was not meant to know and says something about a next time.

Next we follow a bird and a shapeshifting water-bunny on their mission to collect seeds and get them somewhere.
    After they miss the Dragons that were supposed to throw them into a whirlpool the bunny turns into a boat and they seek for a portal-thingy.
    Later the bunny seems to drain an rather unfriendly native lizard-creature of water to clean their seeds of saltwater .

And it looks like it keeps getting weirder. I will keep reading for a bit, maybe it will start making sense.
    Despite the confusion very fun.

Aunt Edith says: Finished the Comic so far. Still no idea what is going on and now I am absolutly confused. I have a few theories but if I try to formulate them out I'm even more confused. This is something I will keep reading. The confusion can only get better after all.
    It is very confusing! But I love it. I looove it and I don't know why.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, those guys from the prologue are like, from another universe or something?? And they're leaking into this universe?? I dunno, man. I like Min and Cress so much, I want more of them, but I also want to see the end of Itchy Itchy and whatever, ahhh.

Who's your fave character and jazz?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    It is very confusing! But I love it. I looove it and I don't know why.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, those guys from the prologue are like, from another universe or something?? And they're leaking into this universe?? I dunno, man. I like Min and Cress so much, I want more of them, but I also want to see the end of Itchy Itchy and whatever, ahhh.

Who's your fave character and jazz?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think the commenters on the Comics site have the right idea. Those were humans -or close enough to them- and the angels the denizens of hell fight are their remnants that bleed into the Storys world (or is it worlds?). The world we see is the second attempt of the mysterious destroyer and there are so many different lifeforms because the first time the humans moved to fast because they were alone. That would also explain why so many can interbreed or live in some kind of symbiosis.

I don't have a favorite character yet, they are all fun, they all have secrets and goals I want to see.
    But the commanders of the demons are especially fascinating. They all seem to have interesting powers and quirks. The entire world is like this. When I saw the entrys for the Flora/Fauna I really wanted to know how this came to be. The whole Thing is like a fever-dream without the downsides.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Aaand the Itchy Itchy update finale!

Spoiler: Update Spoilers
    Show
    So Pride glosses over what the hell angels are with Median, instead saying they're 'just some nasty native wildlife' which I guess is sort of tentatively correct but still, blegh, dancing around issues! Annoyinnggggg.

Lots of crying in this series. Biff was crying when Median almost died, Median started crying when tree-guy was gunna die--I'm not used to people crying over acquaintances, its kind of touching. I really wanna get back to Min and Cress, though. I miss those doofuses.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

just watched the entire Itchy Itchy Thing. That was disturbing. The angels remind me of Evangelion and Digimon Tamers (D-Reaper). And of course I have no idea what happened. Well no, that is not right I don't know what the things that happened mean. And how they relate to Cress and Mins Story. But then I have no idea what is happening there either. Well I will wait and see what will come out of all of this.
    Aunt Edith says: Doed someone else feel itchy?
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2015-05-16 at 07:34 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    just watched the entire Itchy Itchy Thing. That was disturbing. The angels remind me of Evangelion and Digimon Tamers (D-Reaper). And of course I have no idea what happened. Well no, that is not right I don't know what the things that happened mean. And how they relate to Cress and Mins Story. But then I have no idea what is happening there either. Well I will wait and see what will come out of all of this.
    Aunt Edith says: Doed someone else feel itchy?
    I found it interesting that this Angel wasn't a bunch of mashed potatoes like the first one we saw. Maybe that one was like, a multi-angel conglomerate or something.

Apparently we're getting more Andre in the main story, which isn't a bad thing--I actually kind of dig his design, y'know? He's art.

I think there's going to be one more Itchy Itchy related update, which is the 'prompt' or something, and then we're back onto the main event.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Maybe its like in Evangelion or Pacific Rim and every following iteration of „angels” get weirder and stronger/ more dangerous.
    I still wonder where they came from and why they attack hellside and the demons. Is it possible that they are both related to the first world and/or the entity that destroyed it?

By the way Tectonic Robot, is that a Min avatar? Looks great.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

It is a Min avatar! Min is rad enough that I have decided to avatar her. Best weird flower bird fairy thing, in my opinion.

As far as angels ago, I've kind of gotten the vibe that they're not actually trying to like... y'know, hurt anyone? From what we've seen of their race in the prologue, they just wanted to spread their knowledge. In the kickstarter the 'story thus far' implies that they devised a plan to survive the Masked God's destruction somehow, but I think that they've mostly gone completely crazy by now. Its really interesting!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Considering that their world was wiped out by a eldritch abomination I doubt that there is much left but fragments of what they once were. That could be a reason they eat other beings, to make themselve whole again. But since they are so broken it only makes things worse. That they attack the demons could mean that there is a connection between those and the destroyer. And if they had a plan to deal with this thing it most likely failed since they seem to only consist of despair. On the other hand they seem to have dealt some damage to hell in the past if we can trust the story told in chapter 4.5. And if hell is connected to this god they could still be fighting.
    I am sorry if this is a bit chaotic but my thoughts on this are not exactly clear. I'm jumping from theory-fragment to theory-fragment there.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

It looks like we're taking a break from the main story for some community stuff!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well we will see what will come out of this. But I will enjoy learning more about the world(s) of Floraverse. Those Flora/Fauna hybrid lifeforms are fascinating. And the other ones as well. The whole world is pretty interesting.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New Update. That was the funniest and most difficult way to get this ticket. Poor Beleth. I'm not sure what n Fox did to him but the ticket guy had it coming.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Beleth is kind of a dunce when it come to reclaiming their property, a little bit! Certainly very amusing, though.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New story. Well, that wasn't scary at all... I wonder how much of Beleths dream was influenced by the show they watched and how much came from the angel. Because if that is their origin it explains a lot about them. And it makes them even more nightmarish.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

So, a couple of things:

1.) It looked like the little mole from Itchy Itchy is back in the Schoolhouse, unharmed and grown up, and is now the only thing spreading color therein.

2.) Someone is in Beleth's house. You can kind of see a flower on a shirt, so it might be Amdusias!

3.) Schoolhouse Disease seems to be an angel related phenomena.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    So, a couple of things:

1.) It looked like the little mole from Itchy Itchy is back in the Schoolhouse, unharmed and grown up, and is now the only thing spreading color therein.

2.) Someone is in Beleth's house. You can kind of see a flower on a shirt, so it might be Amdusias!

1.) The Schoolhouse was just a dream, wasn't it?

2.) I didn't notice that. It would explain Beleths sudden Panic and why they ran away.

3.) It seems so. The description says this happens in all buildings that replace the original. If the angels were "made" with the ritual we saw in the dream and if the location on the school where the Schoolyard Disease first happened was build in a location were this ritual happened it would inflict the same on those inside if I understand the whole thing correctly. That would mean that if the angels are related to the people from the prologue that the world is - in a metaphysical if not in a literal sense - is the same and only the inhabitants were replaced. And some of the shadow figures from the dream reminded me of those in the prologue so at least for me it makes sense.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

So, a couple of things:

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New Update. Another ghost-story. Not nearly as bad as last week but still creepy. And again some one dreamed about it after the shows-host told it. Something is off there. It seems that either the dreams are unrelated to Beleths contact with the angel or the influence is spreading. Who knows, maybe the drams are just how the show works.

Amdusias and Orobas are great characters and their interaction interesting. I hope we see more from them. Especially Orobas, she seems fun.

Something is wrong with Beleth, didn't they run out of the house last update? Is this really Beleth or someone else or do we see what happend while they had their dream.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New update. I have even less of an idea what is going on than usual. Beleth and Amdusias fight over the latters intrusion into the ormers home? Seems reasonable. Then Amdusias gets ticked off by Beleths comics, because the characters resemble her and other officers. There it starts to get odd. Next she gets swarmed by flying seahorses because of a curse placed on her comic-version. Do I have to understand this? The only thing that makes sense there is Beleths reaction. "I'm on vacation, this isn't my problem. Then the story suddenly switches to a part of the (in-universe) comic where the curse is shown and... Andre judges a song contest?